Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think that there might be limits on the amount of Brazilian beef to be imported into the EU? However, I'm not sure if there's going to be limits on the amount of Brazilian beef imported into the UK, so this is potentially worse news for British beef farmers. But then, the likes of Ress-Mogg or Patrick Minford don't give two sh1ts about British farmers, or fishermen, or those who work in manufacturing industries as Minford said:

Over time, if we left the EU, it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and hi-tech. But this shouldn’t scare us.

Britain is good at putting on a suit and selling to other nations.

Minford's evidence to the Foreign Affairs Select Committee in 2012 is also hilarious to read in retrospect. Proper jaw-dropping stuff in its arrogance and indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

I think that there might be limits on the amount of Brazilian beef to be imported into the EU?

The Mercosur deal has not yet been finalised, but

"... the approved import quota for beef from Mercosur (99,000 tons) is quite low compared to the beef production in the EU (7.32 million tons) ..."

Page 7

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/sites/default/files/media/uploads/documents/The%20EU%27s%20Beef%20with%20Mercosur%20by%20Detlef%20Nolte%2011.1.pdf

You will still have to go to Brazil to experience a real Churrasco with unlimited meat and very limited prices - I'm afraid.

Lars 😀

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looks like foreign languages are in even further decline in Britain now which is never a good thing...

paywalled article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/german-a-levels-halved-why-modern-languages-are-in-freefall-gjzcnp9bq

Plus it looks like the UK has become even less attractive to foreign academic talent as the "prestigious prize pathway" visa scheme only attracts two successful applicants last year and one this year. The Home Office dispute the suggestion that the government has failed to create an environment that is attractive enough to draw-in these talented individuals...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know. There was never much point in the vast majority of people in either Ireland or the UK learning French or German from a purely practical perspective. Irish people tend to prefer emigrating to the UK, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand while only the British people who moved to the EU had any real incentive to learn the local language.

It's a shame but it makes some degree of sense in the context of Brexit. I was in Vienna last week and I'd love to learn a foreign language like French or German (bonus for eligibility to work for the EU) but, unless one of my job applications is successful, there's just no point since I'd never speak it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭yagan

To add to that I've a friend who worked for a multinational in Ireland who applied for a role in their Dutch operations. On the advertisement it said learning Dutch was expected and help would be provided. He went for it, got the job, moved over, was settling in but when he asked who to speak to about his Dutch classes they all laughed and said they it was easier and quicker for them to talk via English with all the non-Dutch staff.

He's there almost two decades now, had to learn Dutch by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

English is the de facto language of business.

A Polish guy meets a Spanish guy and they'll both converse in English.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've emailed a few people I know working in the Netherlands and they've either not bothered learning Dutch, been asked by locals why they were wasting their time or they simply gave up. I'm going to be applying to a multinaitonal there this week and, sure as day, the ad calls for someone fluent in English. Some ads will describe fluency in Dutch as a mere advantage at most.

That's the nub of it. European languages are not equal for this reason.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All of that is true, but the Dutch are slightly unusual in being so proficient in the English language. Any time I've visited France and Germany, it's noticeable that you hear English spoken much less often and French and German are firmly established as the main languages (pretty sure it's the same in Spain and Italy).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Speaking from personal experience & observation; I have seen very little in the way of S.American beef in and around South or West Yorkshire in over a decade living in these parts. Once visited an Argentinian Steak house in Leeds for an office party circa 2012; that place closed a few months to a year later. I have yet to see meat products in the local Tesco - it is all British/Irish/NZ labelled - although perhaps there might be some packaged offerings in the frozen foods section. Nothing 'fresh' at any rate.

So I am not really sure just how much of a viable threat Brazilian beef is here. It might be able to make a dent or two over the long-term view but the same arguments were made with regards to NZ lamb and whilst it's more prevalent it has not dominated either depsite having had more time to develop a market. Proximity to your market matters at the end fo the day and until someone invents transporter technology that geographical point will always stand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Dutch have plenty of reasons for learning English.

They receive British TV very easily, so are exposed to English through that. Many Dutch, at least those that grew up remembering the WW II, either directly or through family stories refused to learn German - except for the phrase 'Keep on to the east!' when asked for directions in German.

Consequently, they have a facility for languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

In Germany language proficiency depends a lot on where in Germany you are. West best, East less so. 

Where big industries are or US/UK forces are/were stationed English seems well understood.  West Berlin were (and i suppose still are) easy to get around in with English, Frankfurt AM*, amburg, Düsseldorf, Cologne much the same. I guess Hannover, Bremen, ... much the same too.

In Scandinavia most people and next to all younger people speaks English.  Lots of larger companies in Greater Copenhagen have foreign employees now.

At my job in DK we had several employees coming from the UK/Ireland or the US. If just one person didn't speak Danish, we just switched to English and our E-mails were often written to English too. 

*I had customers in Frankfurt and we communicated in English even though more of us from Denmark did speak some German and understood even more. 

Lars 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It would more than likely be in pre packaged microwave processed crap

Indeed, but there are lots of jobs in countries like Germany and France where you couldn't get by on just English alone (literally anything involving customer service for example) and would have to have some knowledge of the local language at least. So this new Brexity idea that students in England have no need whatsoever to learn a foreign language during their lifetime doesn't really hold up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It does if you assume they cannot get a visa to live in the EU.

In my field, life sciences, it's impossible to have a successful career or even much of one without fluent English. Usually, when I see positions on the continent, fluency in English is a requirement with fluency in the local language being an advantage or not required at all. That said, I can easily see, say the French company I'm waiting to hear back from easily dumping my CV because they've a French-speaker with a similar background and skillset to mine.

So, it's ultimately a serious investment to learn a language and the payoff is to live in a country with a similarly sized economy to the UK, the same or similar standard of living and similar or fewer economic opportunities (in my sector at least).

With Brexit, there's no reason to learn French, German, Spanish, etc because now there's red tape for companies to cut through if they want to hire a British person. Some people like athletes and artists will have no issues but it was always thus. Much of my motivation to move to the continent is a moderate desire to learn a second language, a skill which AI will render redundant before the decade is out. It's simply a waste of time for most people and that's it.

Much of my motivation to move to the continent is a moderate desire to learn a second language, a skill which AI will render redundant before the decade is out. It's simply a waste of time for most people and that's it.

It's not really going to become redundant if you also plan on having a life outside of work!

For sure, but it means that England is becoming even more monolingual than it was 50 or 100 years ago. Even in the 1920s and 1930s, it was commonplace for English secondary school students to learn a foreign language.

The good news from Ireland is that foreign languages are still holding up well : some 82% of girls took a foreign language in the Leaving Cert last year (64% for boys),

I don't see how this is going to have any sort of negative impact on the UK though. It remains a highly desirable destination for immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think it's more that it limits UK people. The more monoglot a culture is, the less opportunity for interaction/engagement with other cultures. Even if, visa requirements notwithstanding, you do go abroad, you can't read the papers, watch the television, go to the theatre, etc; you largely socialize with other anglophones and stick to English-friendly venues; and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,062 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't say "highly desirable". It's post Brexit lack of desirability gutted the industry I was in.

What languages the English can speak won't change its desirability but it has taken a big knock post Brexit from European countries.

It does but they're clearly not bothered for the most part. The UK seems to have been a reluctant EU member at best, sadly. It is much more interested in its relationship with the US despite the lopsided nature of the friendship between the two. Then, of course there's the abiding stereotype of Brits going abroad, refusing to integrate and setting themselves up in places like Benidorm.

Indeed and one wonders if this is feeding into the whole insular 'right wing English nationalism' thing. Note how the Tory / UKIP government seems to be making no effort whatsoever to encourage British students to learn foreign languages.

Ireland has an official strategy (called "Language Connect") to increase the numbers sitting foreign languages in the Leaving Cert by 25%.

If there is only a requirement to take 3 subjects for UK A levels, this is a much more focussed choice than we have for the LC. This would contribute to a reduction in language studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Only at A Level, though. And it wouldn't explain a dramatic reduction between 2016 and 2022; the A Level curriculum hasn't become any more focussed in that time.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

The report by the British council, on which i think much of the Times article is based, has a number of interesting statistics and makes a few interesting points.

1, The biggest point is that there is a socionomic and academic divide with those on lower socionomic and academic levels less likely to take a foreign language.

2, Student attitudes to foreign languages seems to have changed negatively since Brexit. Teachers also report some parents actively discouraging the learning of foreign languages

3, Many schools relied on language teachers from EU and are having difficulty in recruitment.

The full report is here

Finally, as to whether it is worth learning a foreign language or not, the report has this

"A growing body of evidence supports the idea that shared language is an important driver of attraction and willingness to trade and do business. For example, Egger and Lassmann (2012) found that, on average, having a common language increases trade flows by 44%."

For a country that intend to trade with the world, foreign language skills would seem to be important.

If parents are actively discouraging learning a second language it could be because it is now deemed pointless with European access "cut off" rather than the assumption from some that it is a little Englander mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

I don't think the British Council make any assumptions in their report, they simply note what teachers are telling them. As you say, it might be because of a perception that with access to EU 'cut off' it is seen as pointless.

But other evidence for Britain cutting itself off from Europe. The British Motorcyclists Federation, BMF, have decided to leave the European Federation , FEMA, even tough there is no need to. And Norway And Switzerland are both members. Of course this is a niche group of people.

Obviously it depends on peoples perceptions, but there is definitely a separation from Europe happening in the UK, whether for political or just pragmatic reasons.

I didn't mean the report makes assumptions. People on social media including here are making assumptions.

The motorbike thing is gas though. Reminds me of people thinking they had to leave the Eurovision and the soccer Euros.

• Advertisement

I still think the language story is a non-issue. It's not something the British were ever all that keen on and they had no problem being a leading services provider without being bilingual. Now that freedom of movement is gone, there's even less point in learning a second language.

Advertisement