Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The issue with that show was it could have been a drama and you really would have struggled to claim it wasn't realistic. I loved it but to paraphrase, when satire and reality are indistinguishable, it's time to go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The man is a feckin eejit! Last week he was telling people that the planet heating up was a good thing and how the UK could re-join the EU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Paddigol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you'll find it's 'a cyclist riding a bike and a tree driving a tree were involved in a collision'

• Advertisement

A Tree and a Bicycle were involved in a collision. The bicycle is being treated for minor injuries while the tree is said to be in an upright, stable condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heard the tree caused it, Cyclist swore there was more than one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Was the tree wearing hi-viz?? That's all that really matters here.

Judge Martin Nolan has been quoted as indicating that the tree contributed to the collision as it was not wearing a helmet, as such has some responsibility towards the accident and costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Advertisement

New walking/cycling bridge opened in Athlon today

I've a load of pics up on the Athlone thread for anyone interested. There's a few posts of pics there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,688 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Drew Harris on NT just stated there is "an organisation" behind the theft of bicycles and motorcycles in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Right to drive where we want is the Irish (and UK) equivalent of the US right to bear arms. You can pry my free parking space from my cold dead hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Ah no, they're just thinking of some old person who might someday want to drive/park there, no self interest involved at all😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unusual headline phrasing for this incident yesterday morning. Early reports were more of the form "Cyclist collides with car" but once it was established there was a child injured it became the car's fault. Still not many mentions of the driver.

My wife came across the aftermath, said there were four ambulances, the car was high up on some sort of bank or wall, and there was a specific debris removal truck arriving. Must have been some speed involved.

Hope the young lad recovers soon, been thinking about it all day.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41203645.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,688 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Mirror says

Yet the garda make no mention of a car

Interesting Examiner story about supermarkets and cycle parking...

Protected from the elements? Sure it bloody rains always in Ireland when you are on the bike:)

In fairness most supermarkets I been at had cycling bays, might not be next to the entrance, but a little walk is good for everyone

It doesn't rain as much as we joke about but you probably know that already!

Only one of the supermarkets near me has proper bike stands (Lidl). The large Tesco in Maynooth has a few of the insecure crap wheel bender yokes mentioned in the article and also has bike lockers that you've to pay for. They also have nearly one and a half thousand car parking spaces (no parking charge) according to Parkopedia.

1500 car spaces for one tesco is crazy!! Lockers I would expect to pay for.

• Advertisement

I think the main reason for preferring line of sight to the entrance (for me) isn't laziness or weather protection, it's protection from bike theft. New LIDL in Bray put the parking underneath shelter but round the corner from the escalators. Not a place people naturally go and ideal for a bike thief to rob a bike out of sight of security or anyone for that matter. Same with the ALDI in Wexford, I just bring it in as the bike racks are down the side where no one ever goes.

Carton Park has 1448 spaces with 440 of them covered - all free fo charge. The bike lockers are a private payment thing. Effectively, Tesco are telling me that I'm not welcome there if I'm cyclling! I actually made contact with Tesco Ireland about this and the store manager emailed me back telling me that the setup was perfect.

This. It's not about protection from the elements for me, it's about least worst from a security point of view. I wouldn't leave a decent bike at any of the designated spots in the supermarkets I can thing of. Aldi in Rathnew has covered sheffield stands, but they're the furthest they could be from the store/ nearest the car park exit, generally obscured from view by parked vehicles.

Having said that, my experience of France isn't much better - generally wheelbenders - however they are normally within view of the store checkouts. I'm not sure countries that really enable and accept cycling have the same theft problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

You finally are at the supermarket and now just want to leave your bike somewhere that: (i) is near the front door, (ii) is not in someone else’s way, (iii) is protected from the elements, (iv) has a stand that you can lock your bike onto so it doesn’t get stolen.

Chances are that there is a place at the supermarket that meets all the criteria set up above. Unfortunately for you, it’s the trolley bay. 

I've often thought this myself! Subsitute 'bin storage' for apartment buildings.

My other complaint is that sometimes there is good bike parking... if you know where to find it. e.g. Connolly station by the Enterprise platform. I've been using that station for 15 years, but only found out about that set of stands last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Why, when drivers get a free pass? By all means a deposit thing same as for trolleys, or even a deposit on a credit card (for what I'm not sure), but why should I have to pay to park my bike safely when I could rock up in a Range Rover for free?

Local Aldi in Tramore while ticking some boxes (Sheffield stand, check - though there could be more of them; covered, check; clear sight of checkouts, check. The problem? Lazy feckers who couldn't be arsed walking 20m use them as trolley bays 😫

Lots of the content in this will be of interest to folks here. The govt just released the National Sustainable Mobility progress report

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/9aecf-national-sustainable-mobility-policy-year-one-progress-report/

Some actions are completed, in works or delayed. This is just a selection, see the pdf on the link above for the full list

• Demand management now has its own unit within the Transport Dept. Expect to see more test projects coming from this in the years to come. The scheme for the Greater Dublin Area is currently in progress, due Q3 2024.
    • The Walking & Cycling Index is to be expanded to cover multiple cities (Galway, Cork, Limerick & Waterford). See previous reports here
    • All transport providers are now contractually obliged to have set procedures in place to be able to deal with any passengers with mobility difficulties
    • Active Travel units in all local councils
    • Audit team established, to review completed works to ensure compliance and value for money
    • "Opportunities for transport led development" will feature more and more into the future as new planning applications will be assessed for increased access to PT/AT infrastructure. It will also see higher density developments at hubs/close to hubs
    • Roads Traffic Act update to prioritise the safety of walking & cycling
    • Transition of city bus fleets (Cork, Limerick, Galway, Dublin) to low/zero emission. Same for Local Link buses
    • Pedestrian enhancement plans being developed for the 5 cities, regional growth centres and key towns
    • Greater expansion of bike share schemes around the country
    • Currently 1,200 cycle schemes being designed/implemented around the country
    • Rail fleet expansion, 40+ new carriages placed into service already. 95 Dart+ carriages due 2025
    • Bus connects corridors progressing
    • Greenways to beat the band
    • LocalLink to be potentially expanded as a health transport service i.e. take you to and from hospital/doctor etc
    • Roll out/expand town bus services (Carlow, Ennis, Letterkenny, Mullingar, Portlaoise)
    • Hundreds of new bus shelters done and more to be done
    • BRUCE study ongoing looking at different road user charging options (congestion charges, tolls, etc)
    • Access for all - bridges/lifts at railway stations, wheelchair accessible buses and bus stations/platforms, Wheelchair Accessible Services (WAV taxi's) expanded
    • More equitable fares coming through the National Fares Strategy
    • Local Transport Plans (similar to the LSMATS, CMATS etc) are coming for nearly 20 towns around the country
    • Expand the likes of GoCar etc around the country, especially at transport hubs
    • Delayed - camera enforcement (buses, bikes & dashcams)
    • DMURS, National Cycle Manual, etc all getting updated to prioritise sustainable & accessible mobility
    • Delayed - turn left on red for cyclists, requires legislation update
    • Delayed - PPT's (e-bikes, scooters etc) to be legislated for
    • NTA to take over transport planning for the 5 cities (cue the howls of local councillors)
    • Delayed - Next generation ticketing

My personal favorite will be boring to most but which could potentially have the greatest impact

• Review, develop and update guidelines, standards and supporting legislation to allow for a range of solutions to be developed for road space reallocation/ redesign to repurpose existing legacy car-based road design.

There's loads more in it, thats just the bits that popped out to me as I went through it

Cars arent getting a free pass this time. It's not a secure car park, there is no locker for the car or any one standing beside the car.

If no demand for the lockers they will disappear. Lockers in Lucan by woodies, friends that train for triathlon uses them for cycling and then the run

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was just reading this, didn't realise the Malahide to Donabate part wouldn't be open till 2026. Painfully slow all of it. Hopefully before I'm too old and decrepit I'll be able to cycle from Connolly Station to Donabate and beyond on decent cycle lanes though.

• Advertisement

They are getting a safe place to park and lock their car. That's all cyclists are looking for. I assume the triathletes aren't carry a lock around on the spin before their brick, so not really the same as what you might describe as utility cycling.

Advertisement