Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

More so your lol comment.

Perhaps you're in the habit of replying for others...

I've lived in tallaght, finglas, Ballymun, downtown brooklyn, Queens, harlem...not a bother. I'm also not tough.

Strolled around detroit, jo'burg, capetown, even cork...you name it. Im alive.

Now chat to me about your life experience and knowledge of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

Probably the most sensible take on it. Garda visibility is sh*t in the city, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I think the overall point is, as many keen observers have.......... observed, is to modify the actual Dublin city culture itself.

The North side "Dub life"....... thing, and the south side supposedly "refined" culture.

Y'all seem to forget, Irish only over the last two to three decade graduated from peasant land, to economically "thriving" (which is somewhat of a falsehood); but we've had rapid development in such a short space of time.

Our culture, how we "think", hasn't evolved with it.

Thing is, kids and parents still think it's "cool" to do what they do, have a gaggle of kids they can't provide for, act like farm animals on the street, chip on their shoulder against the "higher" classes.

And an intrinsic part of modifying this culture is quite simply, enforcement to step in and say, "no!! This is not cool. Cut it out or we'll take action.... and by action we mean a baton to your legs".

And this takes the form of more visible and pro-active police presence.

Comparing us to Spain or Belgium etc is literally apples and potatoes - those places were "kingdoms" in the past FFS's, colonizers, massive cultural diversity and entirely different geopolitical histories.

First thing is, justice system take their heads out the 1970's and get to modernizing law enforcement strategies;

In vivo, live, on the street....... before they consider tossing a sizable percentage of the North Dublin youth populace into prison.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Just take away their dole and be done with it. You won't even have to baton anybody.

Take way their dole if they step out of the social welfare line.

And let them have one dose of free legal aid, after that, either they or their great great grandkids can pay for it.

See how that works out.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And intrinsic part of modifying this culture is quite simply, enforcement to step in and say, "no!! This is not cool. Cut it out or we'll take action".

And this takes the form of more visible police presence.

I think this is probably where you’ll find general agreement; the rest of your post is for the birds mate, not being that asshole but your perception of the development of Irish society or even Dublin is way off 😳

I know she’s not your flavour of the month, but full credit to Helen McEntee she’s way ahead of you on the whole community policing initiative:

https://www.eolasmagazine.ie/justice-minister-helen-mcentee-td-policing-security-and-community-safety-bill-2023/

Oh! Paddy whackery. Most people would say "apples and oranges " but you went with potatoes...

Come on now. Are you irish let alone lived in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

See how it works out... well they'd have nothing and would be even angrier and even more bored and have less opportunities and be far more likely to act like scumbags. The inner city was far rougher before the boom when no one had money.

Well then throw them into a state sanctioned situation that they won't look at as some sort of revolving door hotel, which is what the current laughable justice/prison system is.

For example, if anyone in receipt of social welfare benefits is caught breaking the law, have them repay the social welfare benefit by training them to do some actual social welfare work, like maintaining and fixing the roads the rest of society has to pay for. Some of them might even enjoy it, doing a couple of hundred days work, might even make some of them engineers, or at the very least take an interest in it. May as well try it, because the current plan sure as Hell ain't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A lot of these people would never be capable or have the discipline to do any kind of meaningful work

• Advertisement

The problem that the vast majority of them have no concept of meaningful work is because they literally have no experience of it because they have been trapped in a vicious never ending cycle of welfare dependency thrown upon them and their families the last 60 years. Take them out of that grimness and literally push them into meaningful work, show them some actual legitimate, physical creative work that could benefit society and also themselves. It's never been done here. May as well try, because like I said, nothing else is working.

And if they’re not in receipt of social welfare?

Already anyone’s welfare is stopped when they go to prison, but if they receive suspended sentences because there isn’t anywhere for them to be accommodated in prison, which is more like a Crime University anyway, community service? Where’s any incentive for them to do that?

Prevention would surely be a better way to address the issues involved rather than just hoping the symptoms can be treated, but with Government cuts in all aspects of social services I wouldn’t hold my breath that they’d offer any serious commitment to the issue of addressing the causes of criminal behaviour.

What you’re taking about is long after the horse has bolted, rather than significantly increasing the amount of public funds spent on supporting families living in destitution and poverty so that their children aren’t attracted to a life of antisocial behaviour and criminal activity as a viable lifestyle choice.

You're treating these guys like they are the ones in charge Jack.

Well they F**king aren't.

If you break the law there shouldn't be some sort of "incentive" for you to comply with anything.

If You've broken the law there should be serious consequence's.

Just like if I or anybody like me break the law with my tax returns there are serious consequences for us.

Acclimatizing countless generations to allowing them to do whatever the Hell they want has led to this current $hitshow. Let it go on and see what happens. Or else acclimatize these people back into meaningful society with the rest of us law abiding citizens. What's the problem?

The problem is your suggestions have already been tried, and they don’t work - lads who went to prison in the 80’s for robbing cars came out with bigger chips on their shoulders than they went in, which is indeed precisely what has led to the current shìtshow that has Government making mealy-mouthed excuses and regurgitating trite political slogans that the Labour Party in the UK under “New Labour” claimed they were going to be “tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime”, and we can see how that worked out in the interim. They’re doing the same again, just as our own Government are doing the same thing again and expecting different results.

It curries political favour with law abiding citizens is all, does fcukall to address the actual causes of crime which are poverty and lack of any form of actual support. Moving them out to the outskirts of the city hasn’t worked either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

always reminds me of the wire. The Gardai know exactly what is going on and turn a blind eye to it. Seem to drop by randomly at times to move them along. Four courts across the road from it and number of solicitors around there make it king of funny. Cross the river to be told to go home and a be a good boy or girl and just cross back over the river and carry on as before

None of my suggestions have been tried. I've never seen any prisoner paid by this state outside working at anything, they are all inside playing playstation 7's, on a free Tv licence, getting drugs thrown over the walls to simp them out even further.

New Labour promised lots of things that turned out to be a utter scam over in the UK since the 1990's. That has nothing to do with our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Do you even "Irish history" bruh?

Are you a millennial?

Do you know what the late 80's and early 90's in Ireland looked like?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Your suggestions have been tried. They don’t work. They will never work. What hasn’t been tried is far more significant public spending than previous levels is what is required to provide support services to break the cycle of poverty that makes criminal behaviour a viable lifestyle choice for poorly educated young adults who have little prospects otherwise, precisely because of how they are perceived by law abiding citizens.

That’s not treating them like they’re in charge, it’s expecting that the people who are in charge and have the power to direct public funds and resources into eliminating poverty should do so. That sort of thinking isn’t conducive to any politician’s election prospects as it tends to get the middle classes knickers twisted that their needs are being ignored while their taxes are funding the lifestyles of people who are also robbing from them, only in a more direct manner 😂

My suggestions have not been tried. Not in my country. Show me one example since the Irish state has been in existence where Irish prisoners have been sent out to do hard labour. To fix and maintain essential infrastructure that would both benefit them, their own families and Irish society as a whole. Show me where this has happened and in your words, ultimately failed? You're talking absolute f**king shite because it has never happened here.

What's your problem Jack? The fact Irish people might want to see some accountability shown towards everybody in society? What's your gig with excusing criminality up over here? Excuse it all you f**king want, the people that have to actually live here, we won't put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Expect the Guinness Storehouse to hit the news soon, it's starting to pick up on twitter and the Indo is running with it.

Anyway according to the lads here everything is an over-reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The should just gentrify all the shithole city centre areas and push the useless layabout generations of scrotes out further and be done with it. Give housing in prime areas to people actually contributing to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Iguarantee

Dublin City has been a **** kip for a long time.

As capital cities go, it’s a disgrace.

That not dcc. D8.

Absolutely wrong of course.

Where do you live and I imagine I can post a few links to your area.

The hard labour part hasn’t happened, what I was referring to was your idea of locking them up and all the rest of it. That has happened, and it doesn’t work. It doesn’t reform anyone any more than the touted idea of military service and boot camps earlier. The hard labour idea has been tried in other countries, and it simply doesn’t work either. Like I said there’s greater evidence that it just increases the size of the chips on their shoulders.

What's your problem Jack? The fact Irish people might want to see some accountability shown towards everybody in society? What's your gig with excusing criminality up over here? Excuse it all you f**king want, the people that have to actually live here, we won't put up with it.

MY problem? Hey don’t try to make your problems my problems. I don’t know where you’re getting the impression I don’t want to see accountability when I have suggested that rather than wasting more public funds on ideas which haven’t worked in the last 100 years of the State, a more radical and realistic approach is needed to address the underlying issues which are the causes of criminality - it’s literally prevention is better than cure. I’d rather see public funds spent on providing proper housing, healthcare and education for people growing up in generational poverty than wasting money punishing them with hard labour and expecting they’ll magically transform into model citizens by continuing to treat them like shìt.

Btw I’m not suggesting you put up with their shìt at all, but it seems rather obvious to point to the fact that they’re already not putting up with your shìt.

Locking them all up? What are you on about? How has that happened since 99% of the the trash involved have on average 40 - 80 previous convictions that they weren't locked up to begin with?

Every single other of your ramblings has been done since the late 60's, yeah give them more supports, give them more infrastructure, give them more opportunities lol the centre of Dublin has been given all of that since the 1960's. The city centre of Dublin has the current European headquarters of the most profitable corporations on the entire planet on her doorstep. The city centre of Dublin has more opportunity going for her than 99% of the rest of the landmass of the entire world. But yet the dole dependent/infrasctructureless city centre fair folk that go around attacking ordinary decent people on this goldmine doorstep are the real victims.

The carrot approach has been done to death. And ultimately it has failed.

Time for the stick. An actual real stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry James

They won't work in any meaningful way even if given the opportunity. And they won't be given the chance to work because of where they are from.

I knew someone who grew up very poor in fifties Dublin. When he was give a job he started stealing from the employer. He then got into crime and eventually laundering money for criminals.

None of them wants a job in the way none scum want to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Have you ever had any direct contact with young men, or even older men, or even girls, of the profile who would go to Temple Bar or it’s equivalent on a Saturday night with the sole intention of violently attacking innocent bystanders in order to rob them? I’m genuinely interested.

If you haven’t, would you like to?

I’m on about exactly what you suggested. We used to lock them up, we don’t so much any more because they come out of Crime University with bigger chips on their shoulders than they went in, and they just perpetuate the cycle of criminal behaviour and persecution complex they have grown up with all their lives.

What was given to them wasn’t support, it was subsistence - enough in the hope of ignoring them and they’ll keep to themselves, not enough that they could ever hope to make a decent living for themselves that didn’t involve getting involved in criminal activity to provide for themselves and their families.

I’m not suggesting they’re the real victims, and neither are you a real victim, or a martyr or anything else. I don’t think it’s ever likely to occur to you off your own bat that they don’t want to be anything like you. They’re the Governments responsibility, not yours or mine, it’s up to Government to come up with solutions that are at least viable, rather than continuing to piss public funds down the drain on strategies that have proven ineffective up to this point, and if anything their attempts to keep undesirables out of public view has failed miserably as they’re more visible than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

What kind of funding are you thinking of?

What incentives should the assailants be getting that they dont already receive?

• Advertisement

They come out of the crime university because that's all it is, a talk shop. I'm talking about actual hands on physical work that benefits the country, fixing her infrastructure, concrete actual physical work that people like me have to do day in day out. Working on our roads, working on our fields, our rivers, our own raw materials, working on what makes our Island work. This is what would actually benefit these people. Even if it benefitted 4 out of 400, better than the current talk shop $hitshow that hasn't been working the last 70 years that benefits nobody.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement