Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Owh Dublin 8. Sorry.

Jaysus, sure it's that's grand then no problem. Might aswell be a different country. Nevermind the fact its about 5 minutes down the road from DCC. Practically the same thing.

I live in D4 and yes there is trouble here, my new bike got robbed by some waster not long ago from the apartment block bike area. They have legs, like little rodents teeming about the place.

You would swear this is your crew or something and business is under threat with some of the posts jumping to defend the indefensible. What's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh look I get where you’re coming from, but you’re pretty much harking back to a time when it was feasible to make a living from unskilled labour. Nowadays your idea just wouldn’t fly due to safety regulations for one thing, and people already employed to do those jobs for another.

I don’t think anyone wants some heroin-addled twat within 200 miles of an infrastructure project, because they’re immediately a liability, and picking up litter, etc - teaches them nothing.

The time when it would have been possible to train them under an apprenticeship has long gone too, so there’s little else for them to do by the time they get to their teens when it’s already too late by then to be trying to address issues which should have been addressed by tackling the root cause 15 years previously. That means tackling the root causes now if there’s any hope of seeing changes in 15 years time, because the current generation is lost already.

Sort of a stupid question is that? Assailants should be getting fcukall. Does that help? That’s my own personal preference. The Government however has obligations to them and to society that I don’t have to care one iota about and won’t lose any sleep over.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Were you not saying that more money should be invested in the poorer communities to help stop the assaults/antisocial behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

Dublin city centre is remarkably safe by any measure. To argue otherwise is nonsense. Needs more guards, yep. But the idea on here that you can't walk around town like we all do every day without getting assaulted is complete balls.

Does it not make sense for the city centre businesses to invest in security at night?

Temple Bar, for instance.

If businesses banded together, they could easily afford a few groups of security to roam the area and call the guards where trouble occurs. They could also use their force, in a reasonable way, same as they do on the door.

I think we are at a point where businesses need to embarras the govt into action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry James

"The city centre of Dublin has the current European headquarters of the most profitable corporations on the entire planet on her doorstep."

They would not get jobs in any of those companies. And if by some miracle they did, wouldn't do the job.

People who live as they do would not have the discipline to do such a job. Or any job

They don't want work. And no work place wants them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

I could be wrong but it's one thing to police your own business premises but another think altogether to go around policing public areas. It used to be known as vigilantism in the old days and was very effective at dealing with undesirables in smaller urban centres, but of course done on a pro bono basis

No, I wasn’t saying that.

That is of course one of the benefits which would come about as a result of increased public spending and investment in areas where poverty is the primary cause of criminal behaviour, but primarily it’s about alleviating or reducing levels of intergenerational poverty.

Then society will have at least a better class of scumbag, like all the rest of the scumbags who commit criminal offences and receive overly lenient sentences, who you’d never think to associate with scumbag behaviour.

Yes, its an interesting one.

If you are policing your bar as a bouncer, I am not sure there is a rule on your proximity to the front door of the premises.

Its just that in a normal environment, you would police from outside the front door and are in effect policing on public property, as you are stationed on a public street.

So what would legally stop bouncers patrolling Temple Bar... I dont think they would be doing anything different than they do today, technically.

The idea is based on shopping security staff.

We dont have these antisocial issues in centres that are policed, so why dont we just have district security in outdoor areas also.

Just dont let the tracksuited scum into Temple Bar in the same way gangs of scrotes dont get into shopping centres, posh hotels etc.

Yes, but what form of investment would make that happen?

What more could the govt do to break the poverty cycle?

Social welfare is already extremely generous, so what other incentives could we deliver, realistically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You’re wrong. How often are you in Kilkenny CC? Are you there every day? I’ve been there and I’m still alive, ergo no violence ever happens there and even the little scrotes (not the nice kids like your son, of course) are angels and wouldn’t hurt a fly.

Kilkenny is safe.

Am I doing it right?

Of course there is, but that’s not the **** point, is it? Do we just let gangs of 15 year olds go around jumping on tourists heads because it might (or might not) have happened somewhere else in the world and the online hardmen of boards.ie said there’s no issue so the gardai should just focus on catching murderers?

Ahh stop with the “social welfare is extremely generous” nonsense for a start. It’s shìt, it’s not nearly enough to be able to live on and provide for a family to the same standards as a household income which is on even twice, never mind four times the rate of social welfare.

Why you’d even consider turning out another generation of adults dependent upon social welfare anyway is missing the whole point of investment in providing for increased social services to assist families with children so that the children are able to benefit from increased access to education while attending said education with at least having had a proper breakfast that morning so they have the energy to learn in class and participate in school activities.

Investment in training and mentoring programmes staffed with the right people to be able to provide the training without wrinkling their noses and treating it like a punishment for themselves having to teach adults the basics of reading and writing with the objective being that they would be able to participate in the workforce and gain meaningful employment, modelling behaviour for their children to follow, as opposed to being strung out in benzos or whatever their drugs of choice are when the children come in from school.

The alternative is simply for the Government to revert to type in the knowledge that people living in dire poverty generally can’t be arsed voting, so they appeal to middle-class voters and sustain the underclass on payments which in your opinion are generous, while ensuring they never have the motivation to better themselves and follow their parents and relatives into a life of criminal activity, for most of them a short and miserable one before the next generation takes their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Please explain "your crew" comment please.

Are you calling me a criminal?

And d8 isn't the city centre.

Seriously? Of course I'm not. I don't live there.

I'd consider kilkenny safe.

Also don't talk about my son ever again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

We’ve tried progressive policies towards dealing with delinquency for more than thirty years, it’s failed miserably yet progressives still loudly insist we allow them write policy for the next generation

in the words of Ronald Reagan

“ it’s not that liberals don’t know much , it’s that so much of what they do know is wrong “

Your son that loiters around Temple Bar like a bad smell but is defo a little angle and not a scrote (tg)? Why can’t I talk about him, you brought him into the conversation?

Kilkenny is safe (so is Compton, drove through part of it by accident on the way to LAX and didn’t get shot 🙂).

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Careful with mentioning Riyadh many on this thread would probably love in inflict Saudi justice.

I know your game.

Getting me to react so you can report.

Compton indeed.

• Advertisement

We haven’t though, successive Governments have largely sought to ignore the problem and play down its impact on Irish society in favour of appeasing the voting middle-class electorate. That ignorance has consequences, by which I mean the problems aren’t just limited to small pockets of poverty among the population any more which could previously be contained and controlled as long as the middle-classes were appeased.

For what it’s worth I’m neither progressive nor liberal, and we haven’t tried either progressive or liberal policies. Ronald Regan wouldn’t be someone I’d be quoting either in relation to social policy given the outcome of his hair-brained idea to cut spending on social services and come out with out with clangers ignorant of reality:

The percentage of the total population below the poverty level increased from 13.0% in 1980 to 15.2% in 1983, then declined back to 13.0% in 1988. During Reagan's first term, critics noted homelessness as a visible problem in U.S. urban centers. According to Don Mitchell, the increased cuts to spending on housing and social services under Reagan was a contributing factor to the homeless population nearly doubling in just three years, from 1984 to 1987. In the closing weeks of his presidency, Reagan told David Brinkleythat the homeless "make it their own choice for staying out there," noting his belief that there "are shelters in virtually every city, and shelters here, and those people still prefer out there on the grates or the lawn to going into one of those shelters". He also stated that "a large proportion" of them are "mentally impaired", which he believed to be a result of lawsuits by the ACLU (and similar organizations) against mental institutions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1981/02/19/reagan-calls-for-414-billion-in-spending-cuts-for-fiscal-1982/e78afaa9-3560-485c-b24f-66564141b40a/

We had our own similarly ignorant of reality leader of the nation at the same time, and we know how that worked out too:

The middle class are thee most ignored group in the country, the very rich and the “ poor “ in Ireland have the ear of government, the rich always have it and through media and the enormous poverty industry, the “ vulnerable “ have huge representation in government

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Usual 'blame society' nonsense you and others have been spouting for years - your type are one of the main reasons for this anti social behaviour, you just can't see the wood for the trees.

Poverty? Poverty my arse! Ireland's massive social welfare class live in the lap of luxury compared with people living in actual poverty in the rest of the world. It's also been documented ad nauseum that these scroungers very often have more disposable income than working families working average jobs. Free cash, free housing, free transport, free medical - top it up with more free cash from the CWO, Vincent de Paul and maybe a bit of work on the side. Living in real poverty for a while might do them the world of good TBH - might make them realise just how easy they have it.

Usual 'blame society' nonsense you and others have been spouting for years - your type are one of the main reasons for this anti social behaviour, you just can't see the wood for the trees.

Where did I blame society? I didn’t, I even made it clear earlier on in the thread that people living in poverty aren’t my problem or my responsibility or the other posters responsibility who I was responding to at the time. They’re Governments responsibility, and it’s Governments social policies will impact on the welfare of everyone in the Irish State.

I also said to the same poster that they’re not going to make their problems my problems, and neither are you, by trying to suggest I or anyone else is responsible for your problems with other people.

I’m not even going to bother my arse getting entrenched in your usual BS tropes. What real poverty was this scumbag living in when he engaged in antisocial behaviour by assaulting a homeless woman?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-who-recognised-himself-on-crimecall-assaulting-homeless-woman-gets-suspended-sentence-1440597.html

Your suggestion I can’t see the wood for the trees is laughable considering the fact that you’re so focused on the antisocial behaviour of a tiny minority of the population, ignoring the much larger prevalence of antisocial behaviour among the majority of the population.

The reason his type defend delinquent behaviour is that anything which is at odds with the bourgeoisie is seen as being useful when the revolution comes , notice how a few posts ago he claimed appeasement of the middle class voters was the reason why the government has failed to head off anti social behaviour in inner city areas

Marxists despise the middle classes because the middle classes are what’s needed to ensure revolutionary change, the middle class don’t want it so the left relentlessly court anyone else from Middle Eastern folks who despise social liberalism ( a bizarre contradiction but the left love Islam ) to gougers who would sleep on the floor if there was work in the bed

Name a jaysis are you talking about? 😂

Where have I defended anyone engaging in antisocial behaviour? I haven’t. The point I was making in suggesting that Government are more concerned with appeasing the middle classes is because that’s who votes in elections. It’s why it’s important to keep them happy, and when the country is going down the shìtter as a result of Governments mismanagement of the economy - suddenly we’re all in this together 🙄

I said that Government ignored the problems, so do the vast majority of people who are doing alright for themselves, including me, which is why I said to the other poster that they’re not going to make their problems my problems. The way some posters are going on, one could be forgiven for thinking recent events are their first exposure to antisocial behaviour in Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

OK where have you strolled in Joburg and cape town and at what time.

I've been following your posts for a while now and either you are cross between Rambo and Chuck Norris , or else you are a troll / Walter mitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree. A new political party that promises value in taxation to the middle classes would clean up. New prisons, hospitals, transport infrastructure and an overhaul of a shoddy Civil Service. Surprised no charismatic leader has swooped in.

There is criminal waste in the middle classes tax money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Much of the civil service is middle class though, promises to overhaul it would turn them off voting for this party

• Advertisement

The current parties in Government promise that much already, and Leo is nothing if not one of the most charismatic leaders this country has ever had. He’s had a bit of a short wick lately which is causing him to come out with a few bloopers, but for the most part I mean, he’s been on top of his game.

There’s little interest in new prisons, hospitals maybe, given the closure of hospitals outside the main urban areas, forcing people in rural communities to have to travel miles to the nearest hospital. There’s little interest in public spending among the middle classes either because they’re more concerned with their own economic prosperity than concerning themselves with anyone else - so long as they’re able to house, feed and educate their families they’re getting value from their taxes.

Imagine for example if the middle classes had to pay for their children’s education! They would quickly become a underclass, unable to maintain a middle-class lifestyle while also receiving significant assistance from the State that they tend to take for granted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement