Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Have AGS any policy on piercings…..seems like every second male these days has one plus a good few ‘tats’…?

• Not really sure what you mean? This is a topic that’s been talked about for ages. I think times will change but minds will never.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

A tramp stamp is something specific, a usually tribal design on a woman's lower back, shouldn't be visible in Garda uniform so no problem there...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Indo has a photo of one of the tattoos in question.

A lion on top of a hand.

Although I can appreciate the work, and the standard of art, i find it wil' looking.

Would it stop me employing someone? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The would-be garda previously had a tattoo on his neck removed as he was aware of the subject of tattoos in the garda uniform and dress code. The information booklet states: “Body art (tattoos) on the face, or visible above the collar, are not permitted.

“All other tattoos will be covered at all times while on duty, whether in uniform or plain clothes.”

In the cases of the two other cadets, one had a tattoo behind her ear while the other had a tattoo on her neck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If its a hand tattoo then Id agree that it needs to go. Im heavily tattooed but there are still limits that need to be adhered to in society and I wont even do my hands "yet" - I will eventually but not while I have an employer whether they are ok with them or not. I thought the lads in question had forearm tattoos which I would be ok with but not hands. BTW i have employed people with hand tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

I hate tattoos, I would never trust anyone to come near me with a needle to ink me for the rest of my life. My husband has some on his back and arms and I hate them. With young children, he hates and regrets them now. My sister was living in Australia when she got a feather tattoo, it must have faded in the sun. It's bad.

The lion tattoo on the hand, just no. I see that and cringe, like most tattoos I these days. Doesn't look professional to me so I agree with the Gardai on this.

It's rare to see young people without tattoos these days, I just find the whole trend weird. Jump on the band wagon because everyone else has!

Post edited by Honesty Policy on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have no tattoos and wont ever get any but I dont really see an issue with Guards having them but what I find weird is why get a lion tattoo on your hand because your son was sick? the logic of that is crazy to me and why get it on your hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

& how does that relate to the discussion... just because you hate something, doesn't make your views important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I understand why people who have or like tattoos are upset, but it is the right move nevertheless. Like it or not tattoos make you less approachable to a reasonably large cohort of people, and that's not on for Gardai.

It's the right move in terms of allowing the Gardai to be as effective a force as is possible. Sorry!

• Advertisement

Just because you say something, doesn't make it fact... Wearing the Garda uniform makes you approachable... Having tattoo's does not effect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How about for Gardaí you don't want to be approcable.

IE you want to them to look nasty whilst kicking in the door ans searching a drugs house a 6am or for them not to to be laughed at by a bunch of teens in temple bar?

There's plenty of space for community Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Probably not for you, maybe not even for a majority of people. But tattoos do make a cohort of people uncomfortable, you can even see it in some of the comments here, even though boards.ie is a fairly liberal place. I know it's unfortunate for people who do like them and would like to be Gardai, but it's one of the sacrifices required, and it's for a pretty good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And by that same token, just because you say something doesn’t make it fact either. Independent empirical evidence suggests that tattoos on police officers does have a negative impact on how they are perceived by the general public:

The present research contributes to the public discussion on how police officers with tattoos and piercings are perceived by citizens. Using an experimental design, our studies indicate that police officers with tattoos and piercings are perceived as somewhat less trustworthy, less competent, and more threatening than the ones without tattoos and piercings, despite relatively positive explicit attitudes towards piercings for police officers. In cases of dispute, policy makers and judges decide whether a police officer is allowed to have a body modification on a visible part of the body. They need to weigh the right of each individual to express their personality against public expectations of police officers. The present research can enrich this decision making process by providing empirical data on how specific tattoos and piercings affect citizens’ perception of police officers, thus contributing to science-based policy making.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11896-021-09447-w

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't really know if having a tattoo is actually intimidating to anyone who is accustomed to violence. Being built like a tank, sure, that is effective. In terms of this whole "tough" appeal, it could be the opposite, like, what is this guy trying to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yep. Policies on everything, hair colour, piercings, nails, tatoos etc etc

Why have you so many ‘Tats’ ….and will be getting more..? Is it some sort of addiction that takes over some people, first one leads to another etc etc Irrespective of their aesthetics the cost must run into €1000’s…..but value for money in your case I assume..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

I see nothing wrong with Gardaí having tattoos. There's plenty of them that do have tattoos as well anyway.

But there has to be a point too where the tattoo becomes ridiculous. For example, face tattoos. Now, there's fair and very valid argument that a tattoo has no bearing on the persons ability to do their job. At the end of the day, its just a bit of a marking on the skin.

But if I went to a barracks over something serious and out comes a guard with a standard "inspirational quote" (like "Life Is What You Make Of It, So Make It Free") wrote across their forehead, my initial reaction is this person is a f*cking idiot.

Maybe that's my own prejudice on the matter, but while I have no problem with tattoos in general, or Gardaí having them, I can see the point of having it toned down a bit.

As for the case in question, in all honesty, I can understand a lad of 19/20 getting a tattoo of a lion on their hand if they had a child that was very sick, but your man was pushing 30 when he got his done, and by that age you'd have to have at least thought to yourself "could this affect my job chances"? Given he said he had dreamed of being a Guard, could he have not at least checked up on the rules of the force beforehand? Now, it's not that the tattoo would make him a bad Guard, but at the very least it was questionable planning of a mature man.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes, I don't think anybody is really intimidated by people with Tattoo's apart from little old ladies.

I sort of more meant Gardaí don't always have to be approachable within reason.

IE Gardai should be left alone to police crime.

They aren't a joke or somebody you throw your arms around at 2am and put on their hat.

There's also a place for the friendly Garda on the beat to do the chatting, etc.

A big burley armed Garda with tattoo's might stop the drunks annoying him/her and Mavis asking where is M&S. Whilst they can still assist Mavis if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'm with you there, there's not enough respect for gardai. I mean there used to be more respect but then also they used to be able to throw you in the back of a car, drive you to a remote area and beat the head off you, so there's that. I don't really know how they can have respect when they have no teeth because the law doesn't back them against multiple offending criminals and they aren't allowed to just sort people out either. We respect them because we have something to lose, we have to be in work Monday morning but the clowns they have to deal with have nothing to lose, no one is going to care if they get arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Correct.

If you have a tattoo great, but it should be kept out of sight when at work.

Its not professional and gives off the wrong impression to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Unless your profession is a tattoo artist! Then you’re basically the best advertisement of your own work 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I get mine years apart so it's not exactly expensive to me in the scene of things. They're meaningful and that's what matters ultimately. Some people simply like tattoos and the reality is, most people spend money on things that cost thousands each year and they don't necessarily need it.

I do imagine it might be genuinely addictive to some people but I imagine for the majority, it isn't.

Could you elaborate on how a ‘tat’ can be meanginful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I already did in a previous response to you. Examples for myself, my next two tattoos: one will relate to a book series and writer that I've loved since I was a teen and the other is gonna likely relate to a chronic illness that I cope with day to day. Both are pretty common kinds of tattoos for people. Most people are choosing tattoos that are meaningful to them in some way. It could just be they really love a particular visual or it's something deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

What would you think of a birthmark on someone’s hand? Would it soil them?

No need to answer the pedantic nonsense from some commenters... they are just wrapping you up in stuff that has nothing to do with the question in hand...

Irrespective of whether you like tattoos or not... or are worried that a granny might be intimidated by a person with a tattoo...

Why were these candidates interviewed, screened and offered jobs if they didn't meet the criteria of the job. Then they are instructed to make physical changes to their bodies to continue in their new employment...

I would query whether they would have a very serious case to sue over this. If they weren't suitable, they shouldn't have been selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Actions and personal decisions have consequences. Just because you like body art doesn’t mean someone else finds it scary.

I personally, would NEVER hire someone who has tattoos visible to clients. Hands, neck, face are all not permitted. Have I a problem with tattoos,,, nope.

Would I personally get one? Nope. Do I have an issue with others who have them? Nope.

Advertisement