Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Defensively our midfield may be worse, going forward it is better though. Sign a good DM and get lucky with injuries, who knows how we go then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah tbf, I think Lavia handled himself with a bit of class throughout the whole thing. No agent talk, strops or public statements, transfer requests, fake injuries or refusing to train/travel etc. Caicedo on the other hand.....

I'm assuming that Liverpool cut ties with that whole transfer last week when they changed targets to Caicedo. Probably burnt their bridges with that player at the time too and Chelsea swooped in, with the job to convince the player that he was the man Liverpool wanted too big. It was pretty public that Liverpool switched to Caicedo.

I know there was reports earlier of Liverpool making a £60m bid but I don't believe it as nobody reliable with Liverpool news has reported it. Just one guy who is drip feeding Chelsea info the last week or so. It would suit Chelsea to have that news out there as the whole 'Chelsea win the race' makes them look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Turn off your phone and get a good nights rest. We'll see you tomorrow for the Sangare roller-coaster.

Time spent on Boards fighting fellow Liverpool fans is never wasted...wait...😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We walked away from Lavia last week. As you said, if Liverpool bid again for him today then at least one of the usual Liverpool reporters would have had tweeted about it.

I really think they were looking at Kone or Lavia and having him play understudy to Fabhino. What I don't understand is how slow they were to react to Fabhino asking to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I'm finding this funny now at this stage.

If any of us did our jobs this poorly we would be in sh*thsville

This is another level of ineptitude

I'd say what ever is going on behind the scenes there is a few people having a very stressful time of it. And deservedly so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Football is gone totally obscene now. Those fees are absolutely bonkers.

Governing bodies asleep at the wheel. Fines for breaches of ffp. Come on. Ship has sailed. Hard to see how a club like Liverpool keep in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Some points from the Joyce article. Taken from Reddit (I need to get away from that site):

• Instability with a 3rd Sporting Director in 2 years
    • Joyce calls the internal decision making "frazzled"
    • Joyce says we need to figure out ways of competing with 8 year contracts and the way football is going
    • Again makes clear the "value" aspect of Lavia and us not wanting to go to 50. The club has denied a £60m bid
    • We were offered Enzo Fernandez for 15m. We turned it down and he went to Benfica. The question is should we take more risks and bring in players before their value explodes
    • Joyce also suggests a 4-2-3-1 as a way of bypassing having 0 DMs
    • Calls Liverpool reactive rather than proactive. A clear problem

We need someone to step in and take control of the situation. Was this Schmadtke's job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

At this point in time, I think they were plamasing Lavia (and we're happy to sign him at a certain price) to keep him happy while they waited for a bigger fish to become available and then pounce. A delaying tactic can work out sometimes but this time it did not.

Good point bringing up Kone again. I know he got injured at the u21 Euros, but how bad is the injury?

Doucoure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

On a brighter note everyone has their deals done except Liverpool, so the scraps are ours to feast upon 🌭🥩🎂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

If they're hanging that low I'd speak to a doctor...

There was another article about 2/3 weeks ago where they spoke about Schmadkes job as only down to negotiations. The committee and Klopp would give the target, Schmadke would sound out the selling club and then he would liaise with Hogan with levels of funds and bids etc.

Edit: it was German interview with either Klopp or Schmadke himself. Can't seem to find it now.

I think that's the issue. Both Kone and Paulhina where mooted as high priority targets but both got injured and there's not been a mention of either since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Why turn down the chance to sign Fernandez, a young player who at worst would have held his value, just doesn't make sense and then a year later offer over 100 million for a player, absolute madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

PSV haven't received any enquiries about Sangare but Bayern, Liverpool and PSG have registered their interest with his agent.

Twitter translation: "No top club has yet reported to PSV for Sangaré. Neither does PSG. Interest from Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern is known to the agent because they have Sangaré on lists."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is anyone else doing the eight year contracts other than Chelsea? I think Uefa only allow transfers to be spread over five years for FFP.

That's the loophole that Chelsea are exploiting. Not participating in a UEFA competition means they aren't concerned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

So Liverpool have announced they never made any 60m bid.

Yet sky sports are quoting as fact that Liverpool agreed a package worth 60m with Southampton, but Lavias preference is to join Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

@_pauljoyce: There had been enough encouragement from Caicedo’s camp to convince the Anfield club to agree a £111 million deal with Brighton the previous evening, but it quickly became apparent that they had been used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd disagree. Fab's fall off the cliff last year was shocking.

It was bad enough his complete drop in athleticism (long covid perhaps?) but his anticipation was gone. Without that at least, a complete liability.

Was it mentioned here earlier (or did I read it elsewhere) that his general fitness results were not that good during pre-season before being sold?

Last thing we need is a complete liability in front of an already shaky defence. Personally I'm happier with Bajcetic/MacAllister/Jones back there until we get someone in. At least they can run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Any pundit predicting Liverpool to finish top 4 is asleep at the wheel imo.

A hugely entertaining 6th / 7th is what we look like. We will struggle in the later stages of the Europa League too, where being able to lock up for 30 min stretches is essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I fear we won’t even have to worry about getting to the later stages of the Europa League. These new tactics are dreadfully unsuited to two-legged knockout football. Any team can have a good 20-30 minutes spell out of the 180 and the game would be put beyond us.

It’s even sadder because knockout football was once Klopp’s biggest strength. He won his first 10 European two-legged ties in a row until Atletico beat us, and 14 out of 17 in all. It’s an insane record but it relied on doing the opposite of what we’re currently trying to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

It all feels like trying to buy players before we managed to get CL. We have to take second tier players or up and coming players and not seasoned professionals. The Saudi mess didn't help but going into a season with either Hendo or Fab was never going to work either. Lack of planning or some smugness that we could attract anyone could be leveled at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

They all know we need a DM, everyone sees the desperation. We'll end up panic buying some overpriced turd. Get a few games, end up on the bench then be gone in a season or two. Guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just catching up on the muddle of mewsand leaks/spin around this story. While we are obviously seething as LFC fans, it's actually hilarious to everyone else. Such incompetence....... The only thing I can compare it to is an episode of the Apprentice - some lad, probably a Tory/Eton type pushes himself forward to be the team leader but when push comes to shove he can close a deal to save his life, goes to the market and outbids everyone but fails to bring home the bacon. I'm looking forward to him meeting Alan Sugar at the end of the episode already, 'Mr Schmadke, you're fired '.

Whoever is making the decisions, be it Jorg or whoever, should already have been walked to the car park by security and 'we'll send on your belongings by the end of the week'. Literally falling on our ae5es, falling between two stools.

I don't know where to go from here to be honest. We can overreact and throw 100 million plus on someone we don't fancy, in fact I suspect that's what we will do. That'll only make things worse iny view,ightbe better bring in someone functional and cheap as a short term stopgap, but either way it's not ideal. Whatever about Chelsea and their overspending scattergun approach, at least they have some sort of a plan,while we are just floundering around blindly. While the brass were handed a bag of sh1t by our former captain dropping them in it, they have reacted poorly and slowly, and mage it worse by agreeing to the Fabinho move, although I understand why they accepted that bid.

A monumental fvck up.

Palacios would be a good signing, he has a release clause of 35m,

Xabi rates him

''On the other hand, he underlined that dynamism and aggressiveness are the strongest aspects of his game, but that in recent times he has added a share of intelligence that allows him to make better decisions and be more time oriented. “Pala has that dynamism, that aggressiveness to recover the ball, but every time he interprets the sense of the game better, the moment of the match: when he has to play fast or a little slower, when to play short or in space. The better I played him, the better the team will play.”

35m, go get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Would much prefer a couple of cheaper options at this stage. Good money after bad and all that. The psv and fluminese lads for example.

We haven't got our man but we have got a great front line and we seem to be working on a new system, although i don't like it.

At 20-40 million we'd always find PL clubs that would love an ex Liverpool player. West ham, Villa etc. A half decent season or two while we tap up the next big thing in that position.

This season will have lots of twists and turns and if we at least bolt a team together we can still sausage something.

• Advertisement

A great front line that could not hit the target once against Chelsea. Jota was a ghost, Salah the invisible man, Diaz got his goal ,and vanished .

I'd go along with this. I don't want a panic buy. Get some experience in and buy the right player when the time comes.

Caicedo for that money was insane. Lavia for also crazy money for his age.

We need bodies in though. No doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah we can't let the potential of our front line be squandered through a lack of numbers or appropriate types of midfielders.

Get them in, lower level, raw, whatever and at least let us try.

We can't have this as our squad.

United win at home, conceding 23 shots to a team that many pundits think will be relegated, and needed an inexplicable no-penalty call in stoppage time to save them from a possible draw. We aren't the only team with problems and top 4 will come down to which teams, other than City, are able to paper over the cracks to scrape enough points together. Wolves ran through United's midfield like they weren't there towards the end. We may have more competition as they seem to need new midfielders as well.

If Haaland was playing for Wolves tonight he'd have had 6

VAR is going to be fun this season, they're saying that VAR is going to leave it as much as possible to the ref on the field, that YES , everyone watching, the managers, all the players, everyone in the studio agree, it was 100% a penalty to Wolves, but the VAR is not going to interpose themselves as to not belittle the on field call, regardless of the fact it was a penalty, wtf

• Advertisement

Jordan Henderson was on his haunches. He had given everything. The former Liverpool captain, and new talisman for Al-Ettifaq, had pushed himself to the physical limits in the service of his team, It was the sort of moment that has served previously to build the Henderson legend, except with a small difference: his team were 1-0 down here and there was still 87 minutes to play, it was 34.6C in the stadium at this point, with a level of humidity high enough to hydrate a pack of instant noodles. It was surely, by far, the hottest football match in which Henderson had ever played, but one recovery sprint, and a not entirely full-throttle one at that, had entirely done him in

Ha, he should have checked the climate before he moved. They did recover to win 2-1 though, a win for Henderson and Gerrard on their debut, Sadio scored for the visitors, after 3 minutes.

Neymar off to Saudi, 2.4 million pounds per week, 5 times what he was on at PSG. Does this now mean PSG come in for Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Clearly FFP doesn't matter in Saudi. That's insane money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Well he’s started the pantomime with his little tantrum after being subbed Sunday, so who knows!! I doubt it’ll be to be PSG though, as Mbappe is back now that he’s gotten rid of Neymar, he won’t want Salah on the team to share his limelight again.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Salah goes to the Middle East before the close of their transfer window!

I think the transfer committee are doing their best to sausage the season 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I don't get this, what's the point of VAR then

Exactly , it was brought in to help the ref, and now it has transitioned into not over ruling the ref, as VAR will assume the Ref saw the incident, and what the Ref thought he saw, will be expressed by the Ref to VAR, but what he thought he saw, and what actually happened can be very different, and even though VAR can see that, the Ref will still believe his own eyes and express that adamantly to VAR, IE '' I saw it clearly, no penalty, Keeper came for THE ball, HE only had eyes for THE ball, HE nearly got the ball, genuine goal keeping''

Reality, he was in no mans land, never got near the ball, and flattened two players, but the Ref believes what he saw, and tells VAR, '' I SAW IT, BACK OFF''

It's nuts

Just for those that didn't see it, here is the VAR deciding no penalty,

Whoever is making the decisions, be it Jorg or whoever, should already have been walked to the car park by security and 'we'll send on your belongings by the end of the week'. Literally falling on our ae5es, falling between two stools.

It was reported last week that Billy Hogan was responsible for the negotiations and making the offers. Jorg Schmadtke's role has been to identify potential transfer targets and determine if they are available for an acceptable fee.

Micky van de Ven was cited as an example of a player that Schmadtke had identified and who was interested in joining but it was determined that he was too raw to warrant agreeing to Wolfsburg's €50M valuation.

It's against United at Old Trafford in the last minute, what do you expect? United always seem to get more than their fair share of these types of decisions go their way.

Henderson struggled yesterday in the Saudi heat. Almost 35C and very high humidity. Ridiculous conditions for football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We were 1-0 up when this happened, if only Jota went down holding his face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Apparently only about 13,000 in attendance too - you'd get more at a GAA second division game of hurley-whack.

The whole thing is grotesque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Guardian article does paint a pretty bad picture of Henderson's new set up. Heat and humidity, half empty stadium, mostly supporting the away team. But I'm sure he still got paid, and that's all that matters

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/14/jordan-henderson-feels-saudi-heat-but-mane-fails-to-ruin-al-ettifaq-debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
Advertisement