Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Louise Duffy Show - RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,714 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That viral song is something else. Great to hear her play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

I wonder would she have played it without the say so of her production committee?

Why would you wonder that?

Have you nothing better to be wondering about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Our tastes obviously vary! I thought it was tuneless crap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought tge song was a pile of angry shîte myself but Faye play to her fur playing it. I don’t know why she’s getting flak. It’s normal I’d think to have a producer. It’s bit hospital/college radio. Ronan might have done it all himself but he’d been doing it for years so knew the flow. It did sound though like a one man show. I’d also presume both producers alternate days. I know she’s playing a few songs for an hour but give her a break. It sounds like she was parachuted into the fleadh coverage. It’d have been the same if they’d sent Dave Fanning. It’s not her even but she did ok even though it wasn’t her core thing. That’s why you have producers.

I mean Christ when you have a station with Duffy and D’Arcy bumbling they’d way through their respective slots daily, she’s a breath of fresh air and hardly the worst thing RTE has going for it right now.

• Advertisement

As far as I know Lilian Smith, Shay Byrne, John Creedon, the Late Date mob etc. do not work day to day with a producer. They're to pick their own playlists and get on with it.

Someone in authority in RTE has deemed Louise Duffy to be "talent". That means increased resources to support her and a shiny ad campaign for her slot.

The rest of them can feck off. They're not "talent". The same Tubridy style shoite is playing out in real time, before our very eyes despite everything that has gone on. She's a photogenic person who is about local radio standard, in my view.

There are better presenters roaming the corridors of Donnybrook already on a wage - again, just my opinion.

Having spent much of her career playing music from a pre-determined playlist at Today FM, maybe she's not trusted to do what the other R1 music presenters must do.

The difference between LateDate, Creedon and all the rest and Duffy is that Louise is doing prime time daytime radio. With enough of a profile and a spot of media training I could get a job on Late Date. They’re very different listenership orifices I think. She’s also new to the organisation. I don’t see it as being a bad thing there’s a producer allocated to her. Most people joining a new organisation aren’t let off to do what they like out of the door.

I would be concerned alright that she’s been identified as ‘talent’ and may be treated accordingly which is always bad in the context of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,419 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Agree MrF, kind of bollocks you might hear in a bar in The Rambling House in Emyvale or some such backwater.

Nothing against Louise but bit early to be deifying her on the basis of playing nine or ten songs in a quiet period

on the broadcasting schedule.

Calm the fuuuhrkk down folks……take a chill pill here.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Louise Duffy our very own John Peel. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Real media onslaught at the moment, she’s flavour of the month. Definitely picks her own music based on a feature interview in the Sunday Independent Life Magazine. Agonises over every choice!

Not abnormal for RTE to do a bit of promotion when they sense a popular reaction to something they are doing.

RTE are many things but they still have to sell product and promote their assets.

The 12-1pm slot was down 10000 listeners in the last JNLR survey period (Quarter1 2023).

In fairness, she was only in situ for about half of that time. I'm not sure what the masters of RTE were sensing exactly. Still, she deserves the year and more to see where it's going.

I'm sure a frothy TV series fronted by Ms. Duffy is coming soon.

’Frothy’ Frothy how?

You don't think they carry out their own research?

Ok.

Around Ireland in a camper van. Whatever Kathryn Thomas was doing, just put Louise in. That sort of thing.

I don't. I think they looked at her social media stats, her husband and how she looks.

They may have looked into their hearts also.

That's it.

How would the lad know, RTE have t released anything to back up the ‘hype’ .

That firm not noted for sharing their opinions with the taxpayer.

Aah yes, got it now, maybe checking hotels for their standards of spa treatments and stuff, that could be a runner.

Sharing with begrudgers maybe?

The show is working for most people, shes got good feedback on SM.

A bit of PR to consolidate, why the big inquiry on behalf of de taxpayer? It’s what any business would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

You're right, Brenner, the stults don't care about John Q Taxpayer

I’d imagine there are far more taxpayers happy with Louise than the stults with piles about here Brian.

Just a guess.

One lad doesn’t like her because of how she looks….apparently that’s a thing with radio. 😁😁

Now, now Francis. No one said that.

It may have been a consideration for her being hired instead of others though.

My point is there are other, probably better radio presenters overlooked for this gig for other reasons.

But, shur, you speak for "most people" so you know best.

But you aren’t running RTE.

What that is, is a random internet posters opinion with a large dose of, she’s pretty, so that’s why she got the job, sexist insinuation thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

Which other presenters, and is it just your opinion that they are better, and have been overlooked for- what reasons?

Yes. It is indeed the opinion of a random internet poster like yerself.

Louise Duffy couldn't last the pace in a daytime slot on Today FM and I have my doubts that she can on Radio 1.

Her abilities as a presenter are overshadowed by other male and female presenters available to RTE. In my view. It's a style over substance hire.

A bit like some of the awful presenters who are now on 2FM - male and female. 2FM could hardly be considered a success these days.

It hardly matters because I'm sure she's going nowhere even if that slot sheds another 20000 listeners in the next 18 months.

The men at the top of RTE radio won't be conceding that they may have got it wrong.

Yes, of course it's just my opinion!

Just like all the lads on here dribbling in their pants about how wonderful it all is since she and her 2 producers started playing 'real' music.

Why couldn't the head of radio 1 have said to Lillian or indeed Shay or Grainne Brookfield or Will Leahy or Rick O Shea. Right, you've done your time elsewhere, our listeners know you, like you. We'll get the music right and you bring your personality?

If they were overlooked for some big TV name, I could understand that but Louise Duffy?

Unknown to existing R1 listeners and not the strongest profile outside of that.

If she was a better presenter that those mentioned above, well maybe. But -again this is an opinion - she's not.

But, lookit, if you're hearing tunes you like between 12 and 1 every day, more power to ya.

Her abilities are fine in the opinion of many her who have remarked on her ability to put together a consistently good playlist. Just because some curmudgeons think that isnt a skill doesn’t mean fook all.

. Strange you seem to have nothing here other than insinuation and making stuff up about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Well, I'm enjoying the music anyway. And if Louise herself is choosing the tracks, then I'm impressed with her. I assumed she was.

That said, I don't find her to have a particularly engaging personality (in terms of presenting a show - I'm sure she's a lovely person in reality), and have found her few interview segments awkward. It doesn't really matter or detract significantly if she's bringing us great music, and that's the focus for the hour. But if the music is actually being chosen by producers, then it would be difficult to see why she would be chosen over existing RTE personalities who are more engaging.

• Advertisement

Definitely. The begrudgery on here is crazy. I have no reason to think she’s not picking her own music, or st least if there is producer input that it’s something that’s discussed with her and she agrees with. She comes across as passionate about what she’s playing and you can’t fake that.

I liked Roman’s show and was sad when he finished. I certainly wasn’t his target demographic though. I am old enough to remember when radio was like that though so it took me back 40 years. A good nostalgia trip and I’m also interested in musuc in general and will happily listen to someone who knows more about an era than myself. I wasn’t expecting much from his replacement.

Louise was great out of the gate abd has continued to be good. I suspect the shortlist consisted of herself and cathal murray I think it was who both stood in fur Ronan when he was off last year.

Some other names mentioned here aren’t who I’d instantly want. Will Leahy I’d a solicitor so I’d say having a daily live lunchtime show would cost him money rather than the opposite. I don’t think I’d want his Schtick at that time of day and he wouldn’t be passionate about tge musuc if the producer picked it. Sane with Rick. I like him but I also remember him in Atlantic 252 nearly 35 years ago. If Ronan is off to RTE Gold there isn’t much point in bringing back another one of the two lads there already.

I love Lilian Smith. She’s great… at night. She has a lovely relaxing voice and plays good musuc but it’s laid back and probably too easy going and ‘classic’ for daytime. I couldn’t see her as more than a stand in really. That said, I wish we heard more from her really. She seems to have disappeared from Late Date.

I don’t get it. Louise is a new face. Big deal. I hadn’t heard her on Today FM so come to her new show without baggage and I find myself complimenting her choices at least twice daily. Good on her really. She’s good at what she does fur the slot she’s in. Good music radio is a rare thing these days, especially at daytime so I can’t complain.

Advertisement