Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Looks like he's togging out anyway. Hopefully, he has a good run, probably overdue a high finish at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Unfortunately despite nice birdie on the last he’s out. Two double bogeys killed him. Pity he has some nice play mixed in . If he can post a top 10 or better next 2 weeks on PGA he could still make the Tour championship

He had a small interview that was in the Irish Times before R1 where the hip injury was mentioned. He seemed satisfied that it was clear on an mri scan in Scotland. Off the back of that his physio/treatment changed and he was positive in outlook.

Interestingly he did say it was a niggle in the background for a while. Maybe it was partially contributing to his dip in form. Of all the muscle injuries I picked up in my gaa days. A dodgy hip flexor was the most frustrating. Would see fine for days/weeks and then just let you down out of the blue. Nothing more than a jog was doable. Only years later when I did some mobility/yoga stuff did it "fix". Stretching and weights made no difference.

Fingers crossed Seamie can rest up, steady the ship and give it a big push to get some Ryder Cup points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Unfortunately I think the Ryder Cup dream is dead in the water now. Too many missed cuts or average performances in the bigger events in the last 6 months. For two years all Power has really spoken about is the Ryder Cup, I wonder has the pressure just consumed him now at this stage? You can certainly want something almost too much and maybe this hip issue is there in the background and has been for a while. When you think back to the issue with his elbow, he had been playing through it for a long time before getting it seen to. Only then when he was healthy did his form do a total 180.

He has a few weeks off now, he’s back home for a week or so I think. He has a big job on his hands now to make the tour championship, something which let’s be honest looked a foregone conclusion just a few months ago.

A while at home with a bit of rest would be no harm. Hopefully, he won't be hounded by sponsors or other commitments and can chill out.

Yeah, when he got over that injury before and found a bit of form his career jumpstarted. Tbf he was probably doing his level best to keep the grind going and struggling to make cuts. Gotta pay the bills and maintain your status so its tough to balance. I think the surgery needed 6 months to a year to settle fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Good recovery after things got away from him. Not sure where needs to finish to stay in the top 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Thinks he's pretty much certain for the top 50, no matter where he finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

Season can’t come to end quick enough for him and get some rest and recover for that niggle he has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

He'd hardly make up 7 or 8 places next week to get into the following week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

He's had 5 doubles over the 3 rounds. If you made hese pars, his golf is reasonably good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If you made all my double bogeys in to pars Id be playing off scratch!

Seamus is miles off it right now and his golf is far from 'reasonably good'

That’s like saying he made 5 birdies, but if you made them albatrosses he’d be right in contention. Not how golf works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

All 4 of the doubles were ball in the water off the tee. 3 of them were par 3s. Didn't see any of them but could be a clubbing error?

All I'm doing is looking into where he lost most of his shots rather than blindly stating that his game is in bits.

And converting double bogeys to parts is actually achievable unlike birdies to albatross.

anyway, I don’t think he’s a hope of moving into top 30 next week as the field is too strong and he’d need a high finish but would be delighted to be proven wrong. However, while he will be dissatisfied as he’s a top pro, it’s worth taking a moment in celebrating that he’s still finishing the season in top 50 which is massive as it gets him into the biggest tour events next year. Plenty of top players and major winners couldn’t make it into top 50 this year , the PGA tour is brutally competitive.

He was nowhere just over two years ago and now he’s had two seasons in the majors, 5/8 he made the cut and I think he’d one top 10.

If he rests and sorts the injury and doesn’t lose all form then a few good early season results could get him back to world top 50 next season and that will be another year in the majors.

Another poor week but the silver lining is he’s into the big events next year and still has a chance of making the top 30 and heading to the Tour Championship. As of this morning, he’s 35th in the FedEx Cup standings so moving up 5 places is certainly within his reach. It’s in his own hands, play well this week in the BMW and he’s in it’s as simple as that.

Not too long ago he had to rely on Sergio Garcia to finish his last 4 holes +2, which he did, and Seamus held onto his card on the number. That’s where he was just a couple of years ago and to be able to say to himself this morning that all he needs is to put a couple of good days together to achieve his ultimate goal over the last couple of years (Tour Championship) then things aren’t that bad. It just shows how important the Autumn schedule is for players like Seamus. He had over $2.5m earned by the end of January and while things have tailed off considerably since, it’s still a good year all things considered. The Ryder Cup is gone now, I think he knows that. The aim for the rest of the season now I would think would be the Tour Championship, a rest for a week and then try and win the Irish Open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Purely by virtue of having an entry into the “Signature Events” he has a big leg up on retaining his card for 2025.

Whilst it’s been a disappointing summer, his golf in the first half of the season was well above his career average to date, and had put him in a strong position for the next 2 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭abff

I’m not sure that having an entry into the Signature Events is that much of an advantage in terms of retaining his card.

The card is based on FedEx Cup rankings and the Signature Events are worth the same 500 points to the winner as other regular events, but have much stronger fields, which makes it a lot harder to get a high finish.

Sure, it’s great in terms of potential earnings, but that’s it.

Yes it will be tougher to score points due to the great fields but it gives him a better chance at a few points than watching from the telly. Unlike some of the other guys battling for their card somewhere between 70-125, many of whom will have to sit out these events.

unless I’m mistaken , when those 8 events are on, there aren’t ‘easier’ 500 point events on the same week

Hard to see him climbing to the top 30 given his recent form BUT it's a reduced field and anything can happen. Unsure of the exact permutations but I'd guess he needs at least a top 10 and a few stumbles from his competitors. He needs 215 points more than whatever Burns picks up and that excludes everyone in between. He may end up needing a top 5.

I just hope that injury flare-up is under control and he can regroup after the season closes.

• Advertisement

Signature events grant 700 points to the winner, and increased points down the leaderboard. 5 of them are no-cut events also, so even with the stronger fields being in them increases the likelihood of taking points

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/latest/2023/08/07/pga-tour-announces-full-2024-fedexcup-schedule-calendar-including-eight-signature-events-playoffs

Thanks for the update. I hadn’t heard about the increase in FedEx Cup points. Winners of Majors currently receive 600 points. Nothing in the briefing about this being increased, which makes me wonder if winning one of Signature Events will be worth more points than winning a Major?😱🤯

Thanks. Those are sweeping changes. I had heard nothing about them. Did they come out of the blue or had a revamp been flagged in advance?

As you pointed out in your earlier post, it gives Seamus a huge leg up for next season. It also puts Shane Lowry under huge pressure, particularly as they have reduced the eligibility based on World Rankings from top 50 to top 30.

Power will have the luxury of dipping his toes into the weaker events that the higher ranked players won’t play. Events that will have slightly lower FedEx points but will have a weaker field to contend against. These are the events that will make or break his season points wise, much like the Autumn events he banked all his money and points in this season. If he gets out early and does well then he can free wheel the rest of the year and focus on the big events and the money will take care of its self.

He has a 2 year exemption for winning in Bermuda, so his card is locked up until the end of the 2024-25 season so he’s in a fantastic position. He has his pension locked in since 2021, he’s got two wins and over $10m in career earnings - $3.5 of which he’s earned since October. He’ll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

Needs a min top 12 finish to get into next week but really needs a good top 10

Players like Seamus need a good start in autumn and get the points on the board. Not many come back from a slow start as the big players usually take it off and come back in new year so they move up the board

It was all part of the annoucement back in March when they changed the criteria for 2024 exemptions.

Seamus having a terrible day with the putter. Two five footers missed in the first seven holes and current stats show him as minus 2.4 shots for putting.

DFL so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pity his season has petered out as I really thought he had a good shout for the Ryder cup. Still though it's been an excellent few years and to be getting to the play offs is a big bonus. Looking forward to seeing him over in the K Club.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement