Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The personal insults are to serve the purpose of discredit the 'argument' or stand they are making against Trump.

Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. 

Seems a pretty accurate description of Trump's conduct to me.

But feel free to enlighten us as to how precisely Trump should be criticised for such conduct, and to how Trump is using these insults 'characteristically'?

Or are you actually defending Trump's insults?

Otherwise, it will be reasonably assumed to be another incidence of your "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" policy when it comes to Trump.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I mean what possible other reason could their be for our esteemed friend to suddenly announce that he is his "preferred" option for President having never mentioned him before, in a Trump thread invigorated by his latest set of charges ??

He's not trying to avoid discussing the guilt/innocence of Trump is he?

Should we just refer to Vivek Ramaswamy as "Squirrel!!!!" from now on??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's classic Right-wing American "individualism".

Once we no longer need them to make stuff we want/need , F*ck 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Eskimo just hops around between Republican flavours of the month. It was DeSantis last time. Now it's Vivek who is completely unserious but Eskimo is easily persuaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rawr

It is interesting that the given MAGA defence for Trump in all this isn't: "Trump and his excellent legal team will prove him innocent! Wait & see!"

But no. "It's a stitch-up" "It's a conspiracy" "It's a deflection from Biden's kid (who Biden didn't blockheadedly install into the While House staff btw...)"

Feels like a combination of "How DARE you apply the law to our chosen guy?!" and "Don't apply the law to our chosen guy....he's guilty as sin". That laws are for those *other people*, and Trump should get away with things that we know he did....because he is our chosen guy...and should be allowed to do what he wants.

It's like playing a boardgame with a 5-year old. They don't want to play by the rules, and when they are about to lose they'll invent a new rule to ensure that they win. It's that level of maturity at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Indeed. Pardon someone for this and it's open season for every election that follows.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Yeah, he's already tried that one previously in the thread.

Another alt-right gay conservative poster with transphobic viewpoints writing discrimnatory and conspiracy theory posts they're unable to back up - what would be the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's all part of the 'Hey, I was never a fan' defense.

Once it's clear that doesn't work, just pull the name change emergency cord, give it a few days and you're back in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Remember when MAGA'ts used wet themselves over tweets like this?

That and the whole 'Lock her Up' BS from the 2020 campaign.

Now, when confronted with actual crimes, intent, evidence, due process and accountability, they cannot imagine that this isn't politically motivated.

Trump f'd around, now he's finding out.

Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭McFly85

If it were some benign political figure then they would have conceded the election when they lost instead of claiming the entire democratic system has been rigged against him.

Do you honestly think if say Obama lost and then spend the next few months completely refusing to concede, claiming that there was evidence that the election had been stolen to a point where his supporters stormed the capital, the justice system would have said “nothing to see here?”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There's no point in trying to reason with these people. They're so entrenched that even if Trump arrived at their doorstep with a loaded shotgun and threatened to blow their heads off, they'd claim that it wasn't actually Trump, but a Democrat that'd had extensive plastic surgery to make them look like Trump, so as to frame him.

Trump is actually still claiming that the election of 2020 was stolen from him. And they went after Obama for wearing that famous tan suit. What a time we live in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A sudden flurry of posts, I had a suspicion what that might mean: so the dwindling redoubts, trying to defend Trump's increasingly irrefutable & demonstrable corruption are still ringing the Hunter Biden gong?

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In all that flurry... was there one post actually defending Trumps innocence of the charges?

Speaks volumes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

None of them are saying he's "innocent" - not here , not in the media , not on TV , Nowhere.

It's either a "witchhunt" that needs to be shut down or they'll just pardon him regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I think Eskimo jumps between false charges and saying he deserves to be pardoned and it's unfair that he should be charged for trying to subvert the Democratic process. The thing that's being ignored is if he got pardoned for this, it just becomes policy to pardon this kind of behavior so any wannabe tyrant will try it and possibly be successful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course there'll be no actual defence: to defend the actual charges is madness at this stage. The court of public opinion had already measured Trump's guilt from the moment he & his ilk tried disrupting the democratic process, coupled with the hillybilly coup on Jan 6th he actively stirred.

So instead it's trying to muddy the waters, imply conspiracy, attack the credibility and legitimacy of the process. IE: exactly the same thing that was tried in the aftermath of the 2020 election, all over again. Both by Trump & his ilk and those remaining fans online.

Nah, he was just telling people what he was watching on TV that night...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh is Vivek your breath of fresh air of the month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

41 counts in the Georgia indictment means that Donald Trump now has 111 charges across 4 indictments, an XCpI of 27.75. He continues to be way ahead of everybody else who are all tied for 2nd place with their XCpI of 0. Thats zero charges per indictment for them.

I know a big Trump fan that loves his stats and will find it fascinating that Trump is so far ahead of the pack when it comes to criminal charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here's a "Conspiracy theory" for you - Trump lapdogs like Jordan and Comer specifically plan to announce the latest fantasy from their Hunter Biden Snipe Hunt because they know yet another indictment is coming for Trump.

WHAT? NOOOOOO…. Would they?! /s

The Trump supporters are not really interested in disputing the facts in these cases.

• He DID keep Documents
    • He DID try to overturn the Election on Jan 6th
    • He DID pay off Stormy Daniels
    • He DID try to get Georgia to say he won

Their argument isn't that he didn't do what has been alleged , it's simply that he should simply be allowed to do them.

• He's allowed to keep documents because "he's the President"
    • He's allowed to try to win any way he can , because "He's our President"
    • He's allowed to pay-off people so he can win Elections , "because he's our guy"
    • He is allowed to ask people to "find him votes" , "because he's our guy"

So the defense is - The charges shouldn't be brought and if they are, he should be pardoned.

It's victory at any cost , simply as that.

But they're claiming the charges are politically motivated - not that they shouldn't be applied. The only possible explanations are either, 1 - no crime was committed, i.e. it's prefectly legal to keep those documents and it's perfectly legal to put pressure on election administrators to find more votes; or 2 - he didn't commit the crimes, i.e. - he was framed (in which case, who's voice is it in the phonecall? How did the boxes wind up in his bathroom?)

Perhaps @[Deleted User] or @MisterAnarchy could explain - am i right here, or is Quin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One step away from mentioning Hillary's emails....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

100%. When they bang on about "law and order", they don't mean it should be applied fairly across the board. They mean laws should be used to stop people who they don't like doing things that they don't like. It shouldn't apply to them. They're morally correct/god's chosen ones/insert your preferred delusion here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What's the reasoning that Trump should be above the law?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭McFly85

Threats of violence, essentially. If you arrest him then his supporters won’t take it lying down, so pardoning him would be placating his base.

Which of course is a terrible excuse to pardon anyone let alone Trump. A country that feels the need to pardon someone out of fear of a small portion of their citizens is in pretty awful shape.

And of course, pardoning him means more damage long term. He’ll be straight onto social media lying through his teeth about how the prosecution begged him for a conviction and promised a pardon because he was a perfect president and a perfect person or some other nonsense.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's only when it's Law & Order for their benefit. You'll see quite quickly the indignation and histrionics when they're feeling the business end of it. It's all a great big conspiracy, then, and completely unjustified, of course.

They wet themselves that time, for sure. Of course, when it came time for MAGA to have a go, why these people were just peaceful protestors. They were just tourists taking souvenirs and photos in Pelosi's office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement