Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Thanks, that’s what I was afraid of. I sent them an email earlier on, but haven’t heard anything back yet.

Am wondering if the website would allow me to apply again. I might try it & see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Does the flogas community 24 hour plan pay FIT?

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

I see Pinergy have a good rate on buying electricity 25c + vat, looks like the best on the market ?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Does not say it’s only for smart meters or day and night meters?

+++

If you are eligible for a Smart Meter but have not had one installed, then you are not eligible for the Clean Export Guarantee. Please note that there is a four-month lead in time for ESBN to exchange your current meter for a Smart Meter.

+++

6.96kwp South facing

• Advertisement

What happens if you get pv, while having a day/night meter, are you, forced to change to a smart meter, once the NC6 form is sent into ESB Networks ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

No, you now just get an estimated export.

DN don't currently qualify for a Smart meter. As they currently can't drop in a smart meter and keep you on a DN tariff.

ESBN can't change your tariff.

There is DN compatible Smart meters starting to be rolled out from September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Do Flogas send a reminder when to submit a meter reading? From what I've read here about their systems being antiquated, I suspect not, so do people just submit a reading at regular intervals like the first of every month?

Am with them for Gas, and i don’t get any reminders, i just put the gas meter reading on the online portal, every 2 months.

It was not straightforward to get online portal access, took a few emails and a phone call, maybe it has improved since

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No, you can send it if you like otherwise they'll just send someone out or have it estimated.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

Applies to all meters I'd imagine. The other paragraph basically means if you've refused a smart meter after being offered one, you won't get paid deemed FIT any longer. That's going to become an issue for day/night people soon as from Sep all new D/N meters are going to be 'smart'.

They can't force you to change the meter, but if you refuse the 'upgrade' they will not pay FIT.

I've never got an actual reminder from any of them to submit, just a mention on the bill. You just do it yourself to avoid any mad estimated bills. ESBN meter readers are still doing the rounds for now, they're supposed to read every 2 months. You can also submit a meter reading directly to ESBN if you don't want to deal with the supplier.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No reminders, you can submit readings whenever you want and they issue a bill. If you don't submit readings they'll just go off the normal 2 months cycle from ESBN

I've a calendar reminder to submit readings at the start of the month, I find it handy because then it ties neatly into the data I'm tracking from the solar panels and Zappi

I don't know if there's an upper limit to the number of readings you can submit, I assume if you did a reading every day they'll probably just ignore you after a while

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Thanks, I've set a reminder for the 8th of each month, three days before the day I signed up with them on the 11th.

When did you get your previous bills? Mine land around the 28th of every second month.

With Energia so they ask for meter reads but even when I've switched my parents they still got their bill at the same time as mine (and they were with electric Ireland.)

I'd say put the meter read in around the 25th.

It takes them about a week to send out the bill after the reading, but the usage will represent you meter reading

I had one weird month where I got two bills because ESBN had sent a reading in the middle of the month

Also if you've solar and are on deemed export (D/N meter) they'll only do the FIT payment when ESBN sends them a reading every 2 months

But if you email them requesting the payment then they seem to get the data and apply the payment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

My smart meter sends them regular readings which is handy, I'm on a 24hr rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Am also on the Energia Day/Night fixed rate that’s coming to an end. Electricity-only here, no gas. Already have the day/night meter.

Flogas community deal: 33.38c/14.75c D/N

Energia EV plan: 45.76c with 10.19c 2am-6am

Is there anything else worth looking at on the market?

Energia ev plan is smart meter only and limited to 1000kwh/ billing period (2 months)

No, Flogas is the only player at the moment. As was said already the other plan is a smart meter plan, don't even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Thanks @graememk & @CoBo55 . Hadn’t noticed the smart meter thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Over 1000kwh is still under 12c. All of the suppliers are quoting me around 45c day so I moved to this plan today as it is 42c day and 9.35c 2am-6am. We've panels, a battery and two electric cars so i'm hoping I made the right choice. Up until August 10th I was on 30c day, 39c peak and 20c night with SSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

I got back to flogas on Friday again trying to request my day/night meter. Got told I needed to contact ESB and request it from them, I called them out on that (it needs to come from the supplier) before they moved on and agreed to the request. When it came to the rates, I asked to switch over to the day/night rate of my current offer the "BWG" one.

They said they couldn't do that as it had expired and quoted the normal day/night rates, I then asked for the "community" offer, (basically the renamed BWG one) again they refused as I wasn't a member of Dublin City council and that link was "leaked" online. I asked for the reason of refusal in writing, which they declined to do. I requested a manager and was put on a 5 minute hold only to be told there was none available and "they'd get back to me". At this stage I abandoned the whole switch process.

Immediately after that call I rang the CRU to explain my case and basically asked is this allowed? and he said to send on the details via email, which I did.

15 minutes later I got a phone call back from flogas explaining they were agreeing to swap me over to a day/night meter and to the day/night rates of my current "BWG" offer instead of the "community" offer. (rates are identical so made no difference to me) Job Done.

Rang ESB this morning and they hadn't received the request, so rang flogas AGAIN this morning and they said the request was not 100% finished completing on their side and should be done by COB today. I'll be double checking again in the morning.

TLDR: Persist with getting your day/night

I agreed over the phone (they rang me after I complained) to a new contract with the BWG day/ night rates, still no sign of my meter unfortunately. I rang esbn and they told me there's no new meters being installed until September... Some load of shyte isn't it? You'd think we were asking for the keys to fort Knox 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Its good to know you've gotten that order through its just a pity it's such a bother for something you are fully entitled to do. I need to chase them up again on this to try and get mine.

Out of interest, if you are on the 24hr community plan, are you entitled to request the day/night meter with the community rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,143 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just a note on this. Usage over 1000KwH is not billed at the standard rate with the Energia Smart EV plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yea would like to know this also , if on the 24hr community plan , are you entitled to request day/night meter with the community rates ?

Anyone any idea ?

What happened with me was they tried to get me to agree to the standard D/N rates when I requested the meter so I said no, not to proceed with the change. I mulled it over for a few days and thought, feck that I'll send an email complaining. Lo and behold I got a phone call where I agreed to a new contract giving me the BWG rate, no meter yet unfortunately.

That's actually not too bad

If you were on a 16kVA connection you could pull in 64kWh in the EV rate

So worst case scenario you'd be using 1984kWh in one month

Some quick math gives:

(1000kWh * €0.1019/kWh) + (984kWh * €0.1172/kWh) = €217.23

€217.23/1984kWh = €0.1095/kWh = 10.95c/kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Flogas community offer appears to be gone?

• Advertisement

It seems to disappear every so often, either the offer expires or they get so many sign ups they stop taking new customers for a while

Advertisement