Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Worn Tyres

Options
  • 13-08-2023 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi, would anyone know if there anywhere I might be able to buy part worn tyres for a car? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I remember when this was a thing, half a tyre for half the price isn't a deal no matter the brand. Its the only thing that keeps your car on the road, don't cheap out on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine it's for a car being sold.

I bought a car with Red Triangle tryes on it. I thought there was something wrong with the car until I changed the tyres to a decent set. No grip at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Don't do it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

Virtually every car on the road is running on part worn tyres.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That makes no sense. Its a second hand tyre removed from a car in another country probably, you have know idea what conditions it was put through, was it tested thoroughly before been put out for sale.

Even away from the safety aspect budget and part worn tyres are a false economy. The thread wears faster on budget tyres and if you hit a pothole your likelier to damaged the tyre. I have goodyears eagles on my car, good size tyre, 235/40 r19's @€150 a corner fitted. Don't cheap out on tyres they are the only thing keeping your car on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

Been driving on the cheapest tyres possible since 2011. Never had an issue. Not even a flat tyre. My cars have died before the tyres needed replacing. I literally call around every place until I find the cheapest thing possible from a brand I've never heard of. New though, not part worn. €150 a corner is madness. How about €50.

I did try to get part worn before but I think because of covid or brexit etc. the imports dried up. There might be stock out there again these days, they might have sorted out the supply chain issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You're playing with fire and have been lucky so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cheap tyres actually last way, way longer than quality tyres, in my experience. No grip, but great wear!

Personally, I think the big brand name tyres are a bit of a scam preying on people's notions of safety.

I really suspect that the only difference between a €100 tyre and €150 is marketing.

However there is a world of easily observed difference between a cheapo tyre and a midrange.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Advertisement