Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Did the candidates not read the booklets sent to them?

Plenty of people have been sent home or held back in order to make physical changes, why should having a tatoo be different?

Plenty of Gardai have tattoos, they just adhere to the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Hank the DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I really don’t understand how this guy got to attend his first week in Templemore without someone picking up on the tattoo - as he says himself it was an 18 month long process to get there- the regulations, whether you like them or not, are actually incomplete.

Technically , as long as he covers up that tattoo hes actually in keeping with the letter of the code- however from a practical perspective how the hell did he think that he’d get away with wearing a bandage on his hand for the next 30+ years?

I have pity on him to a degree - but I think he should have raised this himself a lot earlier and also there should have been a conversation anyway or mentioned at an interview where this tattoo, given it’s so obvious, would become a potential stumbling block.

The story of why he got it is lovely - but not everyone is going to give him the chance to tell that story and will judge him quickly - I think it was a stupid place to put that tattoo in fairness and I think he knows that now.

And going public and doing interviews with a newspaper has now most likely ruined his chances of a Garda career - whilst he may have decided not to progress today, he may yet regret that decision

You can’t say you don’t have an issue with others who have tattoos -you do have an issue with others who have tattoos - you won’t hire them 😀

• Well, no one was offered a job firstly but besides that I’m sure the candidates kept their tattoos a secret.

it’s hard to imagine they were unaware of the policy and just tried to keep it under wraps (or shirts) but got found out and here we are now.

I do think it’s interesting that at no point (presumably anyway) was anyone asking the question “do you have visible tattoos” either in an interview or on application. I say they weren’t asked because they’ve been allowed come back for the next years course if they get them removed, which I doubt would be the case if they’d lied.

And sue them why? The garda policies are not going to change over a few young lads being ejected from templemore. They didn’t have any job they were in college.

If you get taken off a course in college for breaking the rules why would you think you can sue someone? Really weird attitudes we have these days. Personal accountability? Fcuk that I’m litigating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I find it hard to believe that they got through an entire interview without the interviewer seeing the applicants hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Visible to others tattoos. Hands face neck.

anywhere else I could care less.

tattoo yer todger for all I care, once you are face to face with a client, no tattoos allowed to be seen. It’s pretty simple actually.

if you want to tattoo your hands, face and/or neck, good for you, but that has consequences with me and my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Not really. You know that some people have an issue with tattoos, therefore when you are hiring a salesperson you don't hire then one that has visible tattoos as that has a chance of affecting their work. That doesn't mean that you yourself have an issue with tattoos.

I have tattoos. But I have nothing that I can't cover up. I'm aware that some people have an issue and that it could affect me in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do wonder did they people go to great levels to conceal them and then stop because ot took a while for them to pick up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

From the bits and pieces which are being reported in the media, it seems AGS were aware of the fact that they had tattoos, but allowed them to continue their training while at the same time the recruits were promising to have the tattoos removed. That’d explain why they were told they could come back for another intake when they had the tattoos removed. It puts responsibility back on the recruits to decide whether they want to keep their tattoos, or become members of AGS, can’t do both.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify further, many of my staff DO have tattoos….just not visible. I would be a fool to ban body art completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

very poor comparison. People have no control over Birth marks…they willingly and deliberately decide to ‘beautify / destroy’ their skin with ink/tats.

but some people could find them disgusting, and they might scare old people...

You can’t hide a bleedin male lions head complete with fck off lions mane without wearing a dirty big glove 😀

Interviewers definitely saw this tattoo- the question really is why wasn’t it commented on?

One of the female trainees had her training stopped because of a tattoo behind her ear- I’m wondering if this was kept hidden (either innocently or deliberately) up to now and then spotted throughout training or something?

Its caused so much crap for these people - you’d think the Gardai recruitment process would have put in place procedures for checking visible tattoos well in advance of giving places on their course- 2 or 3people are now off a course that others without visible tattoos could have commenced- such a waste of resources

One is a choice, the other is natural. You really are clutching at straws by saying that.

What’s disgusting is your post about birthmarks

You seem to have missed the point... it was intended as a rediculous post to highlight the rediculous nature of the comments in this thread... Too highbrow for the intellegaence levels of some...

• Advertisement

Yeah, but we don't know what was said to the candidates at any stage, it could have been pointed out plenty of times and they all had booklets explaining regulations to them. Seems like they just chanced their arms for as long as they could.

No matter what anyone thinks about Gardai with tattoos, the fact that the candidates cannot adhere to the rules before they have even started their jobs doesn't say much about their attitudes. There are plenty of fights they can have about different issues within the force, once they're in, but they want to fight before they even get out to a station.

And it doesn't bother me in the slightest if Gardai have tattoos

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think it being too high-brow was the issue, it was just a shìtty comparison in the first place is all, not comparable at all really.

And yes I got what you were aiming for with suggesting people might find it disgusting, but that’s covered by equality legislation, whereas tattoos are not. There might be allowances made in the future for tattoos for cultural reasons though, same as the rules were changed to accommodate religious reasons for religious headwear.

I think a big part of the problem is there's currently Gardai on the street with visible tattoos. Will these Gardai be told to cover them up now?

I still don't un derstand why they got as far as they did. If it was said to them earlier. Why weren't they sent home there and then if it was going to be an issue.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive probably spent well in excess of 10k on tattoos now. Its not an addiction per se but some might consider it one. Ive always been fascinated by the more cultural and historical aspects of tattooing going back thousands of years. In other words I dont have tattoos that are the Magaluf for a weekend tattoos - mine are well thought out. One of my sleeves is a full sleeve in colour of Day of the Dead skulls - I got it done by a Mexican artist so theres a lot of symbology in it related to the day.

My next one is a full back piece of a page from Dantes Inferno - the old etched prints found in the original book - again because theres something aesthetically pleasing about them.

Its probably going to be a 2-3k for the right artist to do it right.But its like carrying art with you!!

The current guidelines are just stupid to begin with. You can’t “cover up” a tattoo on your arm when in short sleeves uniform - even if they are more specific you’re then into what sort of tattoos are allowed and which aren’t- a touchy subject.

Face hand head and neck tattoos for starters are probably out completely - but that still leaves arm tattoos

I can't understand the fact that they have removed the option in the uniform for longs sleeves... Then complained that potential Garda can't wear short sleeves...

I also think its worth noting that the new uniforms are worse than the McDonald's one... Doesn't exactly provide the gards with a dignified appearance. Yet they are obsessing over tattoos...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

They have not removed the long sleeve shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You do know loads of people choose to tattoo over scars or birth marks?

For the record I'm largely in agreement with @[Deleted User] on having a little foresight if you intend on being a Garda. But equally, question the overall policy at this stage is reasonable as norms and attitudes toward tattoos have drastically changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

This is one of the results of online interviews and interview panels with no actual gardai on the panel just civil servants. most of the time these people think they know who would make a good candidate but in reality have no idea

it has been resulting in f ups like this. as well as many more unsuitable candidates than in the past. adds to the lower standards of members and the retention issues as people realize after a while that they are unsuitable themselves so they leave or get sacked and this heaps more work and pressures on the existing members.

it is only the tip of the iceberg that is being reported with regard to resignations and retention. approximately a 3rd of serving members i know are considering leaving at the minute , there was a article recently saying that there are more than 300 gardai in my county, i counted the other night and could come up with 200 max actual available frontline bodies

as for the tattoos. ? not really a issue , i know many fine Gardai with lots of body art , doesn't effect their abilities and in many cases enhances their rapport building. Hands and face tats are probably not a good idea because what helps you to talk to one person will scare intimidate or just make another feel uncomfortable and you have to be able to talk to as many people as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My son has a tattoo on his inner forearm identifying him as a T1 diabetic along with his LTI number.

Advertisement