Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There one massive difference you haven't factored in , AJ needed to get Rob tired before he could land that big shot Wilder did not , , Lets not forget Rob fought the week prior & was in no where near his best condition , The last time AJ knocked someone out early was Molina way back in 2016 ,

AJ does not stop people with ! big shot it's a myth, he accumulates big punches & then one becomes the one too many,

Wilder flat lines you with ONE singular shot it's a massive difference

You say AJ just needs to connect clean & hard he wins, When is thew last time AJ has connected clean & hard without taking damage himself ???

His last two knock out win's are Helenius (7) & Pulev (9) & both landed clean & often on AJ ,

Iv said it to you for about 5 years if not more on here Wilder is an nightmare for AJ, the worst match up in the division ,

Wilder ends AJ's career

• Registered Users Posts: 55,648 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Helenius fell into Wilder's shot, remember...that too has to be factored in...

Anyway, as I said, there is 0 relevance to the AJ KO win over Rob and the Wilder one. He was put to sleep by both with one shot. Had AJ landed that in rd 1, Rob is out cold as well.

Rob was knocked out with one shot by AJ, so AJ can do it in one shot, or at least really trouble and hurt with one shot

Another pointless debate is who hits harder with one shot......Highly likely that if BOTH connect real clean, both will be either out, or very very hurt.

Wilder is potentially anyone's worst nightmare because he has serious power......in this match he faces a man heavier (bigger) almost as tall and rangy, and a heavy hitter. Maybe you think Wilder's chin is up to withstanding AJ? I don't think it is at all.

Post edited by walshb on

Its been 2016 since we seen AJ power took anyone out early & that was a shot Eric Molina,

Since Wlad who was 41 himself , he's stopped AVP , Pulev ,Helenoius all late 30's & past it , In all of those fights they tired & where stopped ,He also took damage & shots himself while getting them into deep waters before his "power" stopped them

So history tells us if he stop's Wilder it'll be likely be somewhere from round 7 up & to do so he will have to put him under pressure & take shots himself like he always does o get a finish ,

AJ's massive question is does he posses the balls & the dog anymore to step to Wilder & put him under that pressure & does he last 7 rounds without getting flat lined himself, He didnlt have that in him v Ruiz or Usyk x 2

In my opinion Wilder wins by brutal ko,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Comparing how 2 fighter's perform against a common opponent has always been shaky science at best.

If we're to go down that road surely Eric Molena straightening wilder with a shot and then lasting 8 or 9 rds deserves a mention. Joshua dismantled him quick fast.

The 2 scenarios prove very little though tbf.

For the record Id have wilder beating this current version of Joshua by KO inside 6rds.

I'd love to see Joshua KO wilder but he seems way too tentative to commit offensively these days. But that said if he were to land he's more than capable of stopping wilder.

If this fight were to go 6-7 rds I’d be surprised Wilder is in any decent/fit shape. He’ll probably be raggedy as **** (if the pace is somewhat fast).

gun to head I’d probably lean Wilder inside 3. Just about lean. It’s as close to a toss up as can be for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Remember as well Wilder has been been mostly inactive for some time now.

I cannot believe I am saying this but an AJ points win is not impossible I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Only Fury could have risen like the phoenix after that blow from Wilder. He does that to AJ its goodnight sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Wilder's head with regards boxing is in a far better place than AJ.

I probably wouldn’t go with his type win, albeit I would not be hugely surprised.

My reasoning being that if we get out of 3-4 rds and the pace is good, Wilder’s speed, delivery and power is clearly lessening I reckon, which should allow AJ ride/take anything that comes his way.

He’s had one nothing fight-win the past 3 years. And the other two were tough beatings.

• Advertisement

Which blow? Caught him side head/ear and then a cuffing hook as Fury was falling down rd 12 fight 1

Fury was standing upright after 10-11 seconds. Wilder has landed heavier blows than those from 2018 v Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Dont know where people are getting the idea that AJ can get back to the one from years ago. Looks to be going further away to me.

Nobody is saying he can “get back” anywhere. Folks just discussing if he could put a few shots together to KO Wilder (before Wilder KOs him.)

btw, the AJ from “years” ago was never great either. He was always vulnerable. Wlad showed this in 2017, and Ruiz not long after.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Agreed he was never great but Eddie is a great salesman, he has people thinking Conor benn and Johnny fisher are world class

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Fair point. He was always over rated. Seems to have serious problems putting a few punches together for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Wilder has had plenty of late KOs as well and he’s pretty unlucky not to have another one from the first Fury fight. He is dangerous throughout the fight and has a great way of hanging on when he’s hurt or tired. I’m not sure I can see Joshua wearing him out like that.

Common opponents another worth a mention is Dominic Breazeale. Joshua took 7 rounds I think while Wilder flattened him in a couple of minutes. It could be argued that Helenius was a better version fighting Wilder as he’d stopped Adam Woz twice I think in his most recent fights. A bit more fear and he may well have lasted into the Wilder fight better. We learned little about Wilder in that. Against Joshua Helenius likely felt his best chance was to survive and counter. He likely knew his fitness wasnt there to be going after Joshua too much or too early.

With Wilder Washington and Szpilka were both ahead on cards I think but there wasnt a mark on Wilder in either fight. Joshua gets hit and puffed up every fight now.

I think fighting Whyte may have been better for Joshua. A caution to the wind type fight would be good prep for him and Whyte would’ve brought that. (Whyte may well have KO’d Joshua). Breaking down a Helenius means nothing in terms of what it’ll take for him to beat Wilder.

That’s exactly my point. AJ and Wilder both knocking Helenius out is of no preparation or importance to how a fight between them goes.

Wilder, in my view has probably only one advantage here. One shot power. Other than this, AJ is just an overall better puncher and boxer.

Now, all Wilder likely needs is that shot, but so does AJ. If AJ throws and connects clean with the type right hand that Helenius rode, Wilder is gone!! Both past their best, and maybe Wilder more past it.

Let’s hope the two of them and their teams can bloody make the fight. It’s a huge fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think Wilder also shades it on mentality. Two artists in bullshit but I think hes more likely to be the one to really plant the feet and go for it. Also think he has by far the better jab. It is a great fight but what a fight it woulda been for undisputed. Instead the messing around went on and on and not much has changed there. Haven’t heard much from Wilder but Scott has been vocal enough about the fight

Be great if you could give both them steel chins and just let them fight for as long as they can. Only way KO happens is from exhaustion /accumulation. In this scenario I’d back AJ 9/10 times. His accuracy and far more clinical punching winning out. Be some scrap

• Advertisement

Wilder moves his feet far quicker than AJ & can close distance far quicker than AJ,

Wilder footwork can of course be sloppy but its far more nibble than AJ ,

I also think Wilder has a better jab than AJ does,

Faster feet, yes. More balanced and economically sound? No..

I’d lean with AJs jab as heavier and more fluid.

Why do you question Wilder's tank ?

He's gone late numerous times & looked grand, He ko'd Ortiz late & nearly Fury,

Seems like your basing it off him getting beat up by Fury , His fitness kept him going in both cases, if he had no gas tank he'd have gone much earlier , He lasted longer then AJ did under pressure form Ruiz for example

AJ's basic footwork is what will get him caught its very predictable ,Wilder is way faster,

I will say AJ has brilliant basic footwork but its far to robotic, Like you could say he has better "basic's " than Fury but Fury would dance rings around him,

I'll disagree & says Wilder jab is the better of the two but AJ has a better arsenal of shots ,

Everyone & that included Fury gets dropped by that right hand because his jab is sooooo good ,

He’ll be about 38 or so come fight night and is past his best.

I said that if is fast and busy I reckon he suffers. I think AJ has a better tank, at least better tank management.

He showed quite a consistently fit tank in Usyk 1 and 2. Both quite pacy fights.

If AJ and Wilder are busy and cannot take each other out and it’s anyway pacy, as well as up close and rugged, then the smaller (lighter) Wilder suffers more fitness wise.

btw, fitness did not see AJ lose v Ruiz. He kind of quit really..

What history are you basing AJ' has a better tank off ?

In my opinion AJ could have won both Usyk 1 or 2 but he couldn't put the foot down after great rounds& let Usyk regain control

Both fights where won by Usyk because AJ was afraid to empty his tank,

People claim hes afraid to get knocked out since Ruiz but i think he's afraid of getting tired ,Being afraid to let his hands go & use energy will get him caught in this one, he'll hesitate & go to sleep ,

We seen him against Ruiz (2) & Franklin stiffen up & panic when he is in the pocket & you think he will get in there & punish Wilder , He wont have the nuts to do it ,

We can’t prove a gas tank query, obviously. There is a lot to factor in.

Vast majority Wilder’s fights he never needed proper fitness.

In Fury 3 after 4 rds he looked exhausted because of the pace.

he will be 38 when they fight, past his best, probably still carrying around the scars of Fury.

My money (if it is pacy and no KO) is on AJ being fresher and fitter and more composed and in control.

Post edited by walshb on

Question: if both given steel chins and only manner victory is points or TKO (due to exhaustion /accumulation), who ya picking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Wilder hasn't gone 12rds since the 2018 fury fight. That's a long time ago. Prior to this he was always pretty comfortable no matter the fight from a fitness perspective. However since then I dunno tbh. There's a bit of a question mark.

Ortiz 2 was 7th rd KO.

And It's pretty fair to say his fitness has looked questionable in the 2nd and 3rd fury fights. Ya can't tell anything from the other fights in this time period other then the fact he can bang. Which we all knew since day one.

I'll counter this by saying his heart and determination haven't looked questionable. He showed both in spades in fury 3.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we all find out the answers to the questions in December,

I'm going Wilder before the bell for the 6th round sounds, If i have to pick i;d say round 4 ,

Advertisement