Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Paddigol

The safety is inherent in the nature of the car, not the facilities. Car needs a key, weighs a ton, can be locked, immobilised etc. etc.

But I do agree that with a bit more interest shown, supermarkets could provide much better bike parking facilities at very little cost. Even just the pretence of some security/ caring would make a difference - cctv, notices/ signs warning potential thieves and the various factors already mentioned above by other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

You could argue that not only are they getting a free pass, they're getting a subsidised pass when you consider the per square metre price of property. Cars by definition tend to have all the security gubbins built in. You can't pick up a car of any size a walk away with it, whereas a scrote with an angle grinder can make short work of a bike lock in a typical out of the way location and do just that. You can in principle nick the front wheel of a car, but not with as much ease as a bike.

So really my question still stands, why should one be penalised for trying to do the right thing and carry on regardless in a big motorised tin box? Sure, it's great that lockers are being provided but not as a box ticking exercise where the business owner can say "Oh, we've provided secure cycle parking" by contracting it out so some paid for 3rd party - if I understand correctly the model in play here - while leaving them their hundreds of free car park spots. Even in cases where car parking is paid for, the right thing to do is to encourage sustainable travel

I don't think that you can escape from the fact that these are for-profit businesses. You might say that cars are subsidised, but only because cars give more money to the supermarket. Same with encouraging sustainable travel - it's an economics question... how do we support businesses (and all the people they employ, and all the ancillary services they pay) that we pull the rug from under? I agree with the broader sentiment, but I think that even with a concerted and thought-through national campaign it'll be a long time before the gradual process of easing people out of reliance on cars for the most basic of daily functions can be said to have been achieved. I think starting in the city centres and big urban centres is the best way to go about it. I'm f**ked if I'm investing in an eCargobike for the 15km round trip to my nearest Lidl/ Aldi/ Tesco/ Dunnes/ whatever for the weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

"how do we support businesses (and all the people they employ, and all the ancillary services they pay) that we pull the rug from under?"

Are you suggesting that providing some decent bike parking will put people out of business?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's been a large increase in e-bikes, and e-bikes are not cheap. my wife's would be 2.5k to replace new.

she rarely uses it to do shopping due to the poor options for parking - but if a single shop/supermarket copped this, and provided good bike parking, they'd have her undivided attention in that context, and that of other cyclists too. it's a pity shop owners don't think that way - not just in a public service sense (which i don't expect anyway), but also in a sense of attracting that extra business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You might say that cars are subsidised, but only because cars give more money to the supermarket.

What's this based on?

No, clearly not. My comments were in the context of the broader discussion of bike v. car and encouraging sustainable travel. My interpretation of the comments was that supermarkets have given over too much free parking to people with cars.

The fact that you can buy more goods and fit more shopping into the boot of your car.

Agree. I think it will move that way. I think that for all the crap efforts at building infrastructure, the positive take on things is that we are on a definite trajectory towards encouraging more cycling. We've a long way to go, and unfortunately our urban planning and design over the past 50/ 60 years isn't going to help.

But is it proven or assumed that someone who cycles spends less? I would have thought some who drive are just buying a litre of milk and not filling their boot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

One way that could be true (car drivers spending more) [I assume pro rata as "cyclists also eat, drink and be merry"] is that cyclists choose to buy exactly what they need and possibly cheaper healthier produce than obese car drivers, who are caught in their high calorific high processed food choices.

So shops like car drivers with poor food habits, that have little concern about unnecessarily buying extra products because they can chuck it in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

I would have thought, on a purely numbers basis, more people drive to the shops than cycle, so as a percentage of paying customers, car drivers are worth more money to shops and supermarkets

That's a sort of nonsense oversimplification, tbh. Car drivers equals obese people? (Despite the fact that so many on here are quick to tell those who drop in the have a go at cyclists that cyclists are also drivers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

You are on the money here for sure.

A missing link whenever one hears "health professionals" talking /writing about healthy eating/diet in the media - i.e if you walk or cycle to the shop/supermarket it will automatically change your healthy food shopping habits for the better as well as gaining some exercise into ones routine.

That's grand if you can walk or cycle to your closest supermarket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I do my shopping by bike and routinely carry home the family shop by bike. I can assure you that, for some, cycling to the shop in no way improves your purchasing choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It tends to be more on holiday I do it (quid pro quo for getting the spin in!), and also far from healthy choices. But if mode of shopping was causation of obesity, our house would be way off the scale given we do home delivery!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

while i disagree with him on several levels, there's a nugget of truth in that (many) shops prefer car drivers because car drivers are trolley users. car drivers don't need to stop and think 'i cannot carry this home'. the claim that that leads to less healthy shopping choices is totally supposition, unless a source is provided.

AFAIK it's written into IKEA's policy on where they place their shops. they want people to drive there. they didn't choose ballymun out of a lottery drum, they wanted somewhere not served well by public transport (though transport links do tend to improve after a store goes in). and last time i checked, their bike parking facilities were dire.

Yeah, like I said, on a purely numbers basis, there has to be more people driving to supermarkets than cycling.

I drive to the supermarket to do my shopping. When I go, I try and make it worth my while, so it's normally a trolley shop.

It makes sense for IKEA to do that too. Their whole model is "I went in for a whisk, but I came out with a couch". They want to sell as much product as possible, and people driving cars can carry away more product than people cycling, walking, or on buses

I've no idea if its proven or not and as a cyclist I've no motivation to go looking. But surely if we want to convince private businesses to give up car parking spaces (which they paid for, got planning permission for and built) for cycling facilities I'm afraid the onus is on us to provide evidence that its economically worth it for them. It's about "bringing the population along with us" to use that awful phrase.

I'm just trying to provide a bit of balance to the discussion. As someone living outside an urban centre I've never cycled to the shop for a litre of milk. We can all nod and agree that cycling is better for everyone in every way and that half the car parking spots in every car park should be given over to quality cycling facilities but I don't think it'll help us find any solutions. We could pop over to the motoring forum and I'm sure they'd all complain that they spend ages driving around car parks looking for a spot and that more car spaces are needed. There's a sensible and achievable middle ground there to be found if people set aside personal gripes (looking at you Mannix).

• Advertisement

Apologies, mine was a tongue in cheek posting, with just a hint of truth.

I am _well_ aware of the fact that 99% of cyclists also can drive, myself included. I know all too well about driving to the shop while hungry and buying unnecessary crap.

Stuff I would not have bought if I had walked or cycled.

I merely turned what the poster who said cyclists going shopping spend less into the farcical point that it is, because it cannot be true, as if cyclists didn't buy sufficient produce to support their lifestyle they would die.

Just because I choose to buy a few pannier full twice a week, walk to the local baker, veg shop, and newsagents, does not mean I spent less than a car drivers going to Dunnes Stores once a week.

I don't think it's that any given cyclist spends less on groceries than any give driver, it's just that proportionately more people spending money in supermarkets drive to them than cycle to them, so as a group, car drivers are worth more money than cyclists

That's why I reduced it to per calorie so to speak. I understand that a weekly shop in one go with the car is different. But the money is spent in the community by by the hypothetical cyclist shopper.

The point that I (badly) was trying to make was that not every car journey to a supermarket is for loads of stuff whereas the assumption being given to me was that it was. Many people drive to the shops just to buy a few small items e.g. milk.

Anyhow, this has very little to do with journalism so maybe we should all move on?

We can all take points to the farcical. It's amusing but not really helpful to constructive discussion though.

I don't know why I bothered trying to give a bit of counterbalance to the argument that motorists are over-accommodated in supermarkets and that subsidising should be cut back - I'll leave some supermarket owner/ angry motorist take up the mantle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I've always thought for supermarket parking you dont need much to make much more attractive bike parking. Just-

1. a lightly covered area to keep the rain off,

and

2. A security camera or 2 that is displayed various screens around inside the shop, so you can keep eyes on your bike while you're inside the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Feel free to fill out this national survey

Prize of €100 Gym+Coffee voucher? Shouldn't have to put much more than a 50 to it to buy a hoody 😄😄😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Christmas is probably the only time we drive for our big shop, we get our shopping delivered weekly otherwise.

We have 2 big stores within a short cycling distance but I've only ever cycled a handful of times. I tend to avoid doing so because I'd like to know my bike will still be there afterwards. So we end up swinging by in car for something small on the way to and from somewhere else.

Advertisement