Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish Atlantic_mc

Hi, I got a Worx Landroid earlier this year, its working fine but every few days its saying its outside boundary wire. When it gets to boundary wire and stops, as its trying to turn its wheels are spinning were aggressively and I thinknthis its prob, is there any way of adjusting this somewhere in app. Any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

My Worx landroid is excellent at digging holes in the lawn and hiding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Kress robotic mowers……has anyone any comments / views/experiences of these….they boast that no guide wires are needed….?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there somewhere in Ireland to 3d print a set of spikes for the wheels.

mower had gone from performing well to pathetic in the wet, as above it is also struggling to get out with all the raining, so I have rain sensor turned off as prioritisation is to keep grass under control, but that is leading to more stuck, and digging hole events.

I have emailed navimow pretty robustly last week too asking why it has to dig- it really shouldn't be so stupid that it spins for so long it digs a massive hole in instead of stopping or trying to move in another direction. Sometimes it stops but frequently it doesn't seem to recognise it's reached the end of the road.

im aware spikes could dig more, but I hope the spikes limit the number of occasions robot finds itself in trouble in the first place.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Check etsy for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcauleydjm

Hi,

This is interesting - I have 2 of the Parkside PMRDA20-Li A1 mowers.

The first I got when they were available instore early July in NI and it is working away fine, no problems at all.

The second I picked up a few weeks later after spotting it sitting as a return (I checked and it hadn't been installed at all).

Set it up and 3 days later I got the same issue as you where it would not turn on and the keypad was non-responsive. LCD still worked when placing in charging station. Tried allsorts like holding the start button for more than 2mins, tried a battery reseat, a different battery... no joy. Interestingly the wifi connection to app still worked when connected to charger. The error in the app showed up as 'Lock", not lockeddue to pin access.. just 'Lock'.

I contacted Lidl support and they have passed details onto the service partner. I haven't heard anything from them yet and its been over a week.

How long did it take for them to contact you?

Thanks,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Thanks, bought this. With rain only getting a chance today

So I tested to make sure base is working with a short loop. No problem. I have walked twice around the wire and it picks up a signal the whole way around> I expected it to go around so far and then stop or am I doing it wrong?

Or do I need to listen for when it gets weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

That is what I had to do. Do you have any cable connections in your loop ? That is where my problem was .. I could hear a weaker signal around one of these ( thankfully I since made a map with where I have connections). I looked at the connection , could not see any problem but cut it anyway, put in a new one and problem was fixed.

What could potentially cause a weaker signal (in my layman's opinion) as well is where a cable is damaged but not cut... that would be a real pain though.. first I would see if you have any weaker signal around your connections, maybe it is not even weaker but simply different - that is why you need to use headphones ( re: my comment about the less expensive one that (also) didn't come with a 3.5mm jack)

Is that something that started happening recently ? I have a similar issue where it claims to be outside boundary wire, but I don't believe it is, even shifting a couple of inches it still gives me the same message.. This lark only started 3 weeks back, it never gave me this message last year.

Hi, yes in last few weeks as well. It is really aggressive when turning and even when it's returning to charge along boundary and has a right turn to make, it has a circular track cut into the clay, it wasn't as aggressive before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

It was installed poorly the first day and its full of breaks because the mower kept hitting it. The idiot who installed it hadn't a clue.

I might just cut my losses and run the wire around it again.

But first see how you get on and spot a weaker signal and look if there is a connector somewhere close.. Not sure how big your area is, but not laying the wire again would be my first goal.

Maybe it is to do with a software "upgrade". Since yesterday I had the issue twice again, very annoying

Yes.maybe, i had auto softwear switched to off but when i checked on saturday it had put to auto and probably updated to latest. Very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Finally got my Gardena Sileneo 1000m2 up and running over the weekend, and so far so good. I was nervous that some of the wires for islands (several trees with mulched bases) would have crossed over when 'dug' into the ground but don't see any issue with them so far. (wanted to bury them to prevent the kids tripping on them). The corridor cut and second zone setup seems to be ok as well.

Some comments on it so far,

It struggled a bit the first day or so with the grass length. I'd mowed the lawn the day before but not as short as I probably should have. Wet grass didn't help either. It found some clumps of grass as an obstacle and changed direction but as it picked away at it and it dried out it has no issues.

The max cut height of the mower is probably the same as the lowest setting I've used on the petrol mower, it has left large clippings to begin with, but not as noticeable now.

Have it on a 14hr schedule at the moment to get on top of the grass but plan to reduce that down in a few days, and will drop the cutting height a touch as well.

It should be a 1hr cut and charge cycle, but not getting a full hour out as yet, due to the grass height I'm guessing.

It is leaving a visible path in the grass going back to the dock, I'm hoping that's just because of the initial grass height and long cutting schedule.

It has got stuck on the lawn going back to the dock/garage a few times when reversing in, think it's some clumps of week grass that was causing a snag. Ran the strimmer over them briefly yesterday and that appears to have fixed that. Also need to put a barrier on the back of the kids goalposts, it gets stuck on the netting the odd time. A 2x2 fixed on top should create enough of a bumper. Edit: just got blocked again, I may have to put some sand down around the entrance to level it a bit.

I have it connected to Home Assistant but the battery level isn't reporting correctly. There is a manufacturer firmware update available according to the app, so will see about installing that, though it needs to be plugged in to a laptop to do it

Overall I'm very happy with it, the lawn currently looks a bit scrappy but is improving.

My last cut with the petrol mower took 2.5hrs to bag the grass off it, normally it's just over an hour mulching, so I certainly appreciate getting that time back to do other jobs.

Post edited by paulbok on

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I've a landroid L2000. 1000sqm of boundary wire. Had a break last year. Was repaired with just a twisted in patch. Worked perfectly for months. Then I had an auto upgrade a few months back and it would not Dock every time and say wiring missing or out of boundary. The usual symptoms of a damaged wired. Then last week the robot updated to the very latest firmware and just wouldn't work. Missing Wire message all the time. So went out with the ~100sqm cable I had left and made a large square on the lawn and its acting perfectly, like new. I found online that you need to solder/tin the wire joints at the breaks to ensure a proper connection. Which make sense as I did use the 3M connectors that came with the robot and they didn't work at all. Note, that while wire missing was happening, I had a constant green light. (Using the 3m, it was a red light and I did use the correctly) Only thing I didn't do was measure the resistance on the original loop , but will do that before and after I solder the joints;see what the difference is, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

High resistance can be due to water ingress. I'd always recommend packing the arse out of any connectors with dielectric grease, above what they come supplied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭celt262

There is some models of Kress that no guide wires are required but you will pay well for that privilege.

That’s not the question I asked but by I am aware of the cost issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭celt262

Apologies i took the question mark after you spoke off guide wires as such.

• Advertisement

Main thing I wanted to know was/is are there any kress owners out there who could give some balanced feedback on their quality etc…..although I guess getting a balanced view from someone who has shelled out €2500/3000 might be difficult…?

I don't think you are exactly encouraging people to bother to reply to you with the time of your last few posts.

Maybe not but that’s the trouble with forums/threads like these sometimes….didn’t mean to come across as a ‘banker’…?

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

Wireless, WiFi, 4G , LTE and GPS are all over rated. The forum is full of people who've updated their mowers via various yearly updates and then they start acting worse than before.

The more complex a mower the more you'll be asking questions or giving out to the dealer.

Unless you've a serious need to have Wireless solutions on board a machine that you literally just want to mulch your lawn then don't bother. The real gain is a headache and a lighter wallet.

I see the only legit reason for remote access is if it's a holiday home remote operation. Stick with simpler robust models with the longest battery life you can get.

The best performing robot lawnmower I got was a Macalister from b and q, simple and does what it says on the tin, no wifi, no programming nothing.

I had a robomow rs630 and it did a great job, but troublesome and kept breaking down.

I replaced that with a Worx landroid, which as I said earlier is great and digging holes in the garden.

The b and q one is still working away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

What do you guys think of the hookii neomow x?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

I got a Kress as a second mower, one with a boundary wire though. It's exactly the same as the Worx mowers with a different colour shell (other mower is a Worx). You can switch them between areas without issues.

Went for a Kress as the Worx models didn't go up to the max area I needed.

They use same software but there are less Kress users so they roll out the updates a bit slower (Worx users are live testers)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

I bought a Parkside robot lawnmower from Lidl recently. Set it up fine but when mowing it gets stuck in a few parts of my garden. I cut the grass in case it was too high but still gets stuck. A few parts are a bit mossy, the wheels spin but it can't move. Is the solution to cut as low as possible with the normal mower first?

Showing how deep it is:

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcauleydjm

I had a similar issue where the robot kept changing direction all the time with similar grass/moss setup.

One solution is to remove the black bumper from the bottom of mower to increase clearance. Worked for me.

You can see it removed here too - I also have taken off the front comb to see if it runs for longer without clogging when cutting in the wet:

I'm still cutting at the max height (60mm). I don't think my lawn would allow for any lower without prepwork.

John

• Advertisement

60s quite high I cut mine to 40mm. Prep work not needed. I've done nothing to the lawn for 4 years bar let the mower mulch it all of the time. This has nearly cleared every ounce of what was used to be quite a mossy spongey mess into a very lush soft green lawn. It's night and day. And it's entirely down to the mower constantly trimming the top and dropping it into the grass. It's promoted the grass growth no end and eliminated other weeds.

Advertisement