Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod control of Tubridy payment Thread

Options

Comments

• I can categorically assure you mod status bares no relevance. Either current or past.

If a mod is acting the dick in AH as an example they’ll get treated the same as anyone else.

By the sounds of what BBoC has to say here things will start to change very soon around here, for the better indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭archfi

^If that's the case, there should be no problem re-opening the long running 'Wokeism' thread.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I think it does bear relevance Alicia Gifted Stick, if maybe not always consciously. I've been here for years and years, and I've seen it happen.

• I’m not going to discuss wokeism with you here. If you want to you can PM one of us or open a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

There are a handful of people who seem to get away with whatever they want which is frustrating.

If you ran a poll on who is the biggest troll on boards I would be confident of a poster who would win in a landslide.

Yet I have never seen the poster banned from a thread.

While others seem to get banned for a lot less.

Maybe some posters are very good at just keeping within the rules.

But is there even a charter anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Imagine getting thread banned because you suggest someone who spouts unbelievable muck and is just baiting other posters, should go to the pub instead.

Boards is rapidly going downhill.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was your third warning in the thread in 2 and ahalf weeks, and you said this about another poster

"<named user> gone down to the pub to meet his 13 year old friends.

If you hurry you'll get in for last orders.

😉"

But of course you think you can both ignore the threadban and come over here to have a whinge about me

It is the likes of you that drag the site down

Yet other users are allowed to bait other posters with guff.

How many lies and other bull were other posters allowed get away with before something was done?

And I'm not whinging, still even if I was, is that an acceptable comment for a mod to make about another poster.

The <named> poster talked pure sh1te about meeting 13 year olds down the pub who were discussing the tribulations of Mr. Tubridy but you allowed this nonsense to continue unchecked for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The mod is spot on in this case. That is for sure. I unbookmarked the thread, because it descended into farce (which knowing how the cohort operate was as predictable - as night follows day).

There was little or discussion of the question at issue after a short period. Namely RTE payments to Tubridy. It seems for some odd reason many think Tubridy is 'fair game'. Even if Tubridy said something nice for example (re Sinead O'Connor) it was twisted as insincere and shoehorned into the thread.

I also get the impression that the OP is using this 'complaint' as a rallying cry to the cohort as if to say the mod is ruining our fun how dare he! But looking at it objectively (as with anything to do with Tubridy in particular on boards.ie) the thread is massively derailed.

The OP and likeminded posters know exactly what they are doing, they know better. But prefer to play stupid - feigning shock at the moderators annoyance of how many are misusing/derailing the thread.

The moderator must be sick of the sight of them at this stage. If I was a mod -I would go for the Genghis Khan approach - site bans not just threadbans. Clear the oddballs out completely. Regain control. That is what is needed at this stage. It is repetitive agenda from what I see. Same posters, same cohort. Same shite.`

I would say cop yourselves on lads, but it would fall on deaf ears. But they never will cop on as it is part of the perverse enjoyment of some on boards.ie. That culture will not change as the very vocal minority hold court, and counting their likes to each other as they do so.

Basically ruining boards.ie for the more sane individuals. It has turned many off boards.ie I would surmise - more so than the revamp.

I never thought I would say this to a moderator, but @beasty don't let the bastards get you down.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

And this is where you are wrong.

Many threads on this forum I follow without needing to respond, probably why I have a very low post level for the length of time here on Boards.

Majority of threads I follow as people on these are better informed of them than I am and I read their posts with interest, full in the knowledge that for the most part they are giving informed and knowledgeable information. Other posters are then allowed to drag down the thread with absolute nonsense without any sanction and sometimes I feel the need to respond to these and call them out. Maybe if the mods did their job better, there would be even less need for me to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I see by your post count you do not post much, but there is a cohort with a massive number of posts. Most of which is attacking Tubridy. Their main enjoyment it seems is attacking Ryan Tubridy in particular. It is the same 20-30 or so names lead by one 'defacto leader'. It has been going on years.

Go to any Tubridy thread and you will see the same names repeatedly with the same crap. Some even think they are doing a public duty! At one stage a (since departed) moderator joined in and encouraged the 'fun' that was how 'accepted' it was. I think that is why it is so ingrained it is a regular 'cultural pastime' for that cohort.

Meanwhile moderators like @Beasty have to do the equivalent of Andy in Shawshank Redemption - crawling through a sea of shite posts attacking Tubridy, hopefully reaching the end of the ordeal. But unlike Shawshank Redemption the ordeal is never ending. The cohort is extremely invested, and extremely motivated.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sometimes I feel the need to respond to these and call them out

Perhaps consider practicing some self-restraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I've thought long and hard about whether to post my two cents on this topic but oh well...

If it were up to me, I'd have banned the rabid anti-RTE mob years ago. They might be shouting about being proven right now but I don't care, the radio forum is painful to read with their guff everywhere. I don't understand why someone feels the need to watch a TV show or listen to a radio show they hate, just to whinge, moan and bully the presenters and/or guests online. Just don't watch or listen to it. Seriously. It would be nice to see some threads actually discussing a programme or it's content. I see they've hijacked the Louise Duffy thread in recent days too.

Mind your own fookin business.

I don't go back through your posts pontificating on what you've posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Just my 2c, but if someone else took a shot at another poster by saying "It's the likes of you that drag this site down", they would more than likely receive a warning from a moderator (perhaps even you Beasty).

It's a small example of inconsistent moderation.

You might need to calm down my friend. It’s only a message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

They haven’t even been proven right. The kind of depraved abuse some presenters are recipients of on this site are reserved for the molesters of children.

-------------------------------------------

Warning applied for ignoring threadban.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

There was a thread specifically to discuss the topics raised in the tubridy show and not for taking the pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

You might need to calm down my friend. It’s only a message board.

CPL 593H

and you wonder why you keep getting warnings and bans.

No, I don't wonder.

I know exactly what the reason is.

Some mods will let certain posters say whatever they want then ban others for trying to say what they want in response to that.

"It aint what you do, it's the way that you do it" as 80's songstresses Bananarama used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Ahwell

In fairness, this post isn't as bad as it appears. There was poster who was taking taking the piss out of the thread a bit(i can't remember the posters name), he came out a story about meeting some 15 year olds playing pool down the pub who were saying what a great lad Tubridy was. The above post was echoing that earlier post.

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The topic is RTE and Tubridy. Posters should never be discussing other posters in that way in any discussion thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It reads as a continuation of an in-joke on that thread, that was the first thing that came to mind when I read it.

Isn't it amusing that posters of a "bright temperament" can spout lie after lie after lie, in other words posts without any truth or evidence and when some people respond to them, they get banned, not the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@northknife if you see a problem post or poster we ask that you report it. Moderators cannot possibly read every post on every thread. We ask you to bring problems to their attention. From what I can see you have never reported any post.

It's not fair to criticise moderator action/inaction if you don't highlight issues.

Advertisement