Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

It is nothing new. 20 years ago in the Chainsaw Shaw days one of the producers was telling me he could not get money to cover the cost of CDs as competition prizes. Yet he said the 'tallent' had backroom support (reseachers) staff coming out of their ears. In his view, running a daily competition at cost of ~12 quid for a prize was money far better spent to boost ratings than adding staff, but Helen refused it.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

What does Yates mean by ““I think the public are missing the point here. With each passing week, the whole debate about Ryan Tubridy is deck chairs on the Titanic. It is now facing a cash shortfall of €50M.

“I believe RTE is now technically insolvent. They have borrowings of €95M. This was before the erosion of the licence, which is now adding to the problem but about €1.5M-€2M a month and getting worse because they get about €190M from the TV license.”

what point are we missing? Everyone is aware Tubridy is the tip of the iceberg and that rte is broke. I’ve no idea what insight he thinks he has over the general public?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Was she there that long? I had an interaction with her and she came across as someone without a notion, she gives the impression that she was really well loved in RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think his point is that the excess salary and dodgy dealings with Tubs pale into insignificance with the general waste and financial situation within RTE. We could boot Tubs out and still be left with massive problems. I guess most people know that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yeah it was just funny seeing a self/rte appointed best person in Ireland Plummet😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Article is certainly trying to paint but Tubs and NK in a good light

I wonder how much Grant Thorton are pay to have their name mentioned so many times in a single article. Seems a bit excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Absolutely. Large scale change needed.

Tubridy is the lightning conductor and has to be told to go reinvent his career somewhere else.

I don't care much if the public pay through a licence or taxation. So long as we see an organisation that is properly run on modest pay levels and with no excessive waste of our money.

And until then, my TV licence remains lapsed as of now after 25+ years of regular payments.

Another week and almost another 900K (approx) lost from RTE licence fees:

Regards...jmcc

More the report than the article. Tubridy destroyed his own brand and should not be allowed back on RTE. Yates is right. Almost anyone could present that show.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yates has a bit of a neck even commenting on this. Didn't he go bankrupt, skip the country for a time and screw us all. He and Tubridy should should be ostracized. Two *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Don’t forget Yates is NK agency and has been for years.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

This makes no sense. Contractors are not paid by Payroll.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

RTE: We have no money to create original content like a quiz.

No-one is asking for Who wants to be a millionaire. The early days of The Chase, they were not giving away very much at all. Heck, I realise its 40 years old, but I regularly watch Bullseye and prize money of about 300 quid is the max not the norm (along with some hilarious spot prizes).

I'm sure Sunway Holidays would happily donate a couple of holidays for the free advertising, and if you look at some other daytime TV quiz shows, the prizes are not huge.

Not paying Joe or Ray while they are on holiday as they are contractors, could easily fund a new quiz show. Or give either of them a 20% pay cut, that would also easily fund a new home grown program.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Snowballing out of control. Bakhurst would want to get a handle on this very, very quickly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A reminder to everyone. When you sign up and accept this Site's Terms of Use you agree not to:

"post Material that promotes or encourages illegal activity or facilitates or encourages any violation of these Terms of Use"

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

That article from the Independent is frightfully transparent.

The agenda is set so. All systems are go to return RT to the breast of public money,

How RTE exists and is tolerated by the Irish tax payer is incomprehensible to me.

All the people need to unite and stop paying the licence fee and make it clear they will not support tax payers money being spent on supporting such a wasteful organisation.

The is NO planet that ANY of the RTE ‘talent’ needed to be paid such huge salaries in fear of losing them to the ‘competition’. The idea is laughable and the lie should never have been allowed oxygen.

That they asked those two girls a question about it and then had the balls to include it in the article is incredible. I couldn’t even manage to listen to the full two minutes.

I’m assuming the Irish public will just lie down. take it again, and the politicians will ride roughshod over them again.

The starting point for any public concession to the existence of that organisation should be a salary cap.

If RTE introduced a salary cap of €95,000 tomorrow I would bet my life that not ONE of the ‘talent’ would refuse it and simply because they are not getting a job ‘in the business’ anywhere else .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How does it make sense that the DG ,along with so many other in a loss making rte draw down bigger pay then our taoiseach .

It is bad enough the big money they are on but they are all mediocre at their job

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Unfortunately it's all part of the culture of the country that we live in. The people who occupy those positions in organisations such as RTE are elites, moving from one top position in one organisation to a similar role in another. I can't add anything further than that, that's the way I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Surely, after what has happened, 'Dancing with the Staff' couldn't be coming back, could it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

True. An invoice should be going through Accounts Payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

A lot of it does not make sense.

Tubs contract was finished according to rte in july. Tubs and Kelly disputed it. But it seemed it was. The entire contract was suspended at least. Then they decided to renegotiate the radio contract. But was it just to remove the perks that were included in the now broken TV contract or for what reason was the radio contract being re-negotiated. Salary alone would surely have been kept separate for the two from the beginning.

There is a lot of confusion throughout the whole thing and many, many untruths. I guess the public will decide what they think are untruths or truths as they seem to be protesting en masse already.

"I think if RTÉ can resolve the Tubs issue I think the public will still be annoyed the over spending by RTÉ."

I think that is definitely true, but it does not seem to be the majority outrage online. Most at a glance, seem to be annoyed at Tubs, maybe he is just the visible target for their ire. I would not be sure how many people will change their mind about the licence fee depending on whether or not Tubs does not get a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Turbridy was always coming back. He was never going to be allowed go. He is in a club. This club look after their own. He will be back on Radio. Maybe not on the terms he was before. He will also face his colleagues. I suspect RTE will handpick employees who are willing to work with him. I personally dont listen to him on Radio, but have had to endure the Toy Show with the kids. I guess for me out of sight out of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

I agree Tubridy will probably be back for the autumn, but ultimately it will be the jnlr's and in turn the sponsors and advertisers who decide his future.

But, as I've said before, he presents a one hour filler show between two flagship, high listenship shows. It could be anyone in that slot. I don't see how Rte even need him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm….. Wouldn’t say it’s a ‘lock’ just yet.

circa 4 mill. in licence fee revenue down since this debacle erupted and stones were lifted to expose the messy underbelly underneath.

That would or should be of great concern for the so called ‘management’.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“The Grant Thornton report will provide comfort to Mr Tubridy as it clears him of blame for the 2017 to 2019 understatements.”

Well, there we have it. An RTÉ issue, no blame for Ryan. Should see him back on the airwaves for the kid’s return to school.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

He received money he had no entitlement to. Money sourced from the fee paying public. He didn't flag it so while he may not have made the error, he is not innocent of any moral wrong doing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Maybe, hear me out, just maybe, he didn't do anything wrong when it comes to his 2017 to 2019 pay understatements? If that's the case, then why wouldn't the report clear him of that part of his pay controversy?

He's not out of the woods just yet eitherways. He still has questions to answer over the 2020 to a short while ago payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That Indo article was written by, or under request of Noel Kelly. It's a bit obvious.

If the Indo had read the whole Grant Thornton report then they'd have a lot more info on it. They don't. It's a typical NK strategy, and one of the reasons why the Indo is in the gutter for many years and is in a slow, but sure terminal decline.

The people have spoken. When there is such a massive public disobedience where they are not paying license fees, then it is obvious that people now know the system to be rotten. Bakhurst can either tackle it head on, (which he seems unwilling to do), or he will go down as the new Enda Kenny, where he is given a chance to start afresh, but instead just let the trough feeding continue.

RTE need an outsider with no contacts to the cosy cartel inside. But there are so many in there for so long on the gravy train and they know any new DG would hit the brakes on it. I'm not sure if Catherine Martin has the power to get rid of Bakhurst, but I think she should, and get someone in from overseas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement