Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Aly Daly

Thanks for the advice, I will hang on to him,this is an excellent forum.

You certainly have the figures down to a tee i will try & digest them further,I buy forward stores in Jan/Feb 25mths approx,I factory them mid October normally, about this time of year I start to feed 3kg & further into the Autumn 6kg.I have them close to the yard & I will put them in the shed on hay on really miserably wet days, I am on dry ground. I often have d/w of 440kg approx kilos @o=/3+.I try to buy British friesans around the 500kg mark.I am not making any sort of money but I love having them around the place.I will take a picture of a few of them if you would be interested to see them,they are starting too look like fine fellas & the nuts will improve them further obviously,I am sure my system is flawed in a lot of ways but they are certainly well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is great weight off grass and you obviously have a good eye buying them. If you are buying them for summer grazing system you probably need to keep them as long as possible. Getting them I to the yard is handy to feed for last 6-8 weeks is handy as well.

You probably graze out the complete farm. In October/ November and cannot get to grass until mid April. If you hand is decent the only change I would make is close some area from early October on so you can get out to gras earlier

Slava Ukrainii

I have a paddock system &

to explain it when they leave a paddock they wouldn't be back on it for a month maybe 5 to 6 weeks in strong growing period.It is topped & fert only if necessary.Here are pictures of the Blonde(29mth),a bw that I like[27mth) & in my opinion a good friesan(29mth).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Lots of potential to pile on weight....nice stock...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It’s around the rump and along the short ribs that they put down flesh to finish, is it?

(I’m trying teach myself about finishing and fat scores)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

What I notice here with very heavy factory fit cattle is:

Hip pins fleshy,fistful of fat over the ribs,big dewlap,fat in the scrotum.

You are probably feeding to a high level finish. Looking at the cattle I be feeding the HEX at present to get a good level.of finish at under 30 months. I have been feeding the Blonde for the last 8-10 weeks so as that he finished under 30 months and you did not enter the autumn glut and downward price spiral.

Those are good types of Friesians 6-8 weeks feeding would have finished them.under 30 months.

As a matter of interest what is your regime for them from now to slaughter amount of ration, access to silage etc.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

From late July onwards need to feed meal to finish off grass - 3 kg will do it. Good quality grass essential - 1500kg/ha cover. Allows most cattle to be sold by mid Oct. After that they need to be housed to finish them - different game. At this time of the year you need good carcass weight. Aim 400kg + with continentals, 350 kg Fr - cattle approaching 30 months.

The hex will finish under 30 months ok,the Blonde will go overage as I have not started feeding as will the friesans who I feel never really get going until over 30 months.These cattle have good quality grass ahead of them & I can usually keep them out until mid October where I either sell or bed on straw & feed good quality baled silage that I buy locally,I would normally have them gone latest mid November,clean the sheds for the arrival of the new guys from the mart in Jan/Feb if the ground is reasonably dry.Cattle are finished on 3kg to 6kg nuts over either 60 or 90 days mid August on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Weighed the aa and he x fr cattle here,Average age 17 months.Bullocks average 516kg with a daily gain of .89kg per day for the past 94 days,heifers averaged 480kg with daily gain of .84kg for the past 94 days

What would lads reckon of those figures?Thinking of starting to feed them 4kg of meal each for the next 6 weeks and killing the whole lot,anyone else with simular stock going a different route?

If you do that you should join the ABP advantage scheme. I be a bit flexible on the slaughter date. I be thinking the U24 month slaughter premium might come in this year

Slava Ukrainii

I'm waiting on a rep to come back to me about it to answer a few questions on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Would you have housing to hold til mid late November. Could be an option

Serious lifetime performance on them. Well done

I see Jackie Cahill is calling for another BEAM.....

I predicted it a good while ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Beam me up Scotty.

I can't see it happening this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

you got great weight on them as weanlings . nothing to be gained by putting them into a shed imo, do as you planned

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Were they not getting meal anyway or were they just at grass?

Got 1.5kg of meal from weaning till they were 11 months,nothing since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Way too young to be killing them bullocks in my opinion. Maybe for the heifers

if the bullocks put on 1kg day for next 6 weeks, live weight circa 550kgs with maybe a 55% kill out at best for that age of cattle, you’d be doing well to get a 300 dw. At say €4.40 kg in 6 weeks (lucky if even that by then), - €1300.

mid they were mine, I’d be storing them over the winter on silage and minerals and letting them to grass next spring. Especially if there’s a fair bit of friesin in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The tail head, the loin, the ribs and if they’re bullocks the cod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

feck throwing meal into them shed them let them out early april and kill them off grass from august next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

4.55 bullocks this week in Foyle meats.

4.50 next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

It's time to put the foot down now. This is serious.

Our county IFA WhatsApp group got a text from a member last week that looked very much like it was written by the BeefPlan.

Not sure where they're at now, but at €4.50 the scene is set for them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

And what will it be next month.

If the protests start again a factory should be kept closed, never to open again.

Their aim is to close all the small fellows, and they think anyone not killing 4 figures a year is small.

Im bringing a few into Larry tmw...

Ill be looking at the kill sheet/cheque through my fingers with gritted teeth...

I would have been much better off leaving the money under the mattress back in March.....

Literally....

I went back and looked at that WhatsApp message again and it is actually from the Beef Plan.

I’m not a member of the Beef Plan and never have been but I’ve copied-and-pasted the message below as there’s some interesting figures quoted.

===

*The Red Line in the Sand Base price for bullocks agreed in 2019 has been broken.*

In 2019 the base price for bullocks that was generally agreed that factories would not go below was €3.60 \ kg. When you factor in the increased cost of inputs the price paid today is the equivalent of €2.95 \ kg

Put another way for farmers to be getting the equivalent of €3.60 a kg in 2019 factoring in increased input costs this figure today equates to a base of 5.65/kg for bullocks. The information below that is used to substantiate these figures has been obtained from Beef Plan's Purchasing and Producer groups and are real verifiable figures.

An example of 3 key inputs are used to demonstrate the rise in costs.

Aug 2019 v August 2023

CAN €214  CAN €345

Ration €234 Ration €370

Diesel 61c/l Diesel 93c/ l

Average costs up 57% 

Aug 2019   Aug 2023

Blks €3.60 Blks €4.65

Bullock base up 29%

When you factor in that input costs have rose substantially more than beef prices it means that the hard fought for red line in the sand price of €3.60 base for bullocks has been substantially breeched and now stands at the 2019 equivalent of €2.95/kg 

Aug 2019 Blks €3.60\kg

Today's 2019 equivalent  Blks €2.95/kg

With Average input costs 57% higher today than in August 2019 the base price for bullocks today needs to be €5.65 to be the equivalent of the 2019 factory red line in the sand price of € 360/ kg

Factories have forced a savage drop on cattle prices at a time when farmers have experienced a sustained period of record high input costs. While the cost of some inputs have been reducing they are still over 50% higher than they were pre the invasion of the Ukraine. Meanwhile factories have forced down cattle prices 70 cent/ kg since from a base of 5.35 for bullocks in April to just 4.65 today.

Not factured into the above calculations are the substantial cuts in farm subsidies that the government has forced on many beef farmers since 2019, with these added in the price drop would be even greater.

Because of the extent of the unprecedented input costs that farmers have endured farmers feel betrayed that they have been sacrificed. They feel that a red line in the sand as regards cattle prices has been breeched.

Blame for this has to be pointed firmly towards the gates of the factories. Factories whether they like to admit it or not have a responsibility to pay a price that leaves a margin for the primary producer.They have this responsibility because they are the next link in the beef supply chain.

Right now due to the extent of the price cut they have forced on farmes, not alone are they not doing this but they have crossed a red line in the sand that was generally agreed as a result of the factory gate protests of 2019.

In relation to all the promises that were made in the talks directly after the 2019 protests the reality is that very few of these promises have been honoured. The power of the primary producer in the Beef Supply Chain has not increased and we are still as far away as ever from having transparency in the industry.

With interest rates for farmer loans now hovering around 7% up from 3.8% in 2019 When many farmers look at their bank balances the decision to continue beef farming will no longer be in their hands.

Farmers are in real trouble at the moment and will have to make decisions as to where to go from here. The problem for the beef supply chain is when one link in the chain gets broken enevitable it will effect the other links.

In 2019 when the farmer link in the beef supply chain was broken it only took a few weeks for the supermarket shelves to empty.

Real decisions now have to be made by the various links in the beef supply chain that will have major implications for all.

===

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Robson99

I have said previously that lads will be selling for less this back end than what was paid for them in the spring....everyone that bought 6-8 month keep cattle in March / April are loosing money on them...be it for resale or to hang

Advertisement