Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding

• 15-07-2023 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm goin reseeding a field that is on the side of a hill. I was going to disc harrow it and use a land leveller before spreading seed. There are a lot of ridges on it. It has never been reseeded.

I was goin to disc it maybe 3 or 4inch deep in the first run and maybe do 2 more passes opposite to each other not as deep. I goin to pull a land leveller over it then prior to spreading seed. The disc harrow has an air seeder mounted on it so was goin to spread it with that. It also has a crumble roller.

Just looking for a bit of advice on how to approach it considering it's a hill firstly and also on the views of using a disc harrow and land leveller. I was using the leveller to try and leave an even seed bed.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

What kind of seed mix will u be using?? It makes sense to include a good variety of drought resistant grasses and herbs given the trends of recent springs with sloped land obviously more prone to SM deficits on non peat soils in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭happylad

I was going to us a cut and graze mix 4. Ment to have grass for silage end of May start of June there is a bit of clover through it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

With a lot of ridges in it I'd be more inclined to plough it. You may find that just discing and leveling it will only pull scraws around the place and you'll end up with ridges back in it very quickly again. Discing and sowing is excellent for fields that are already level but not so much for ridged fields in my opinion.

At the very least consider a power harrow before levelling to break up the sods and give you a better chance of getting things levelled. The link below shows the process I use on my own ground which is very steep but this land was all done ~25-30 years ago so no ridges in it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2bNFKWO4EN3WTTc9VcIfU9qF1bXMQAtn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Will a bag of seed hold for 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Not a problem, just keep it dry and off the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

It won't be as good as fresh seed and could fail if conditions aren't perfect when planted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks. Have some organic red clover that I don’t want to plant so late. Drought followed by such rain messed up the plans .

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Omallep2

Would you agree this is a good grazing mix?

40% Bowle

35% nashota

10% Aspect

10% triwarwic

2.5% Galway

2.5% Coolfin

Might stitch in more clover next year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭leoch

Did anyone ever try sowing grass seed after silage is cut with fertiliser spreader and roll in or cover with light slurry would it strike do u think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’d give a run of a chain harrow first and a light coat of watery slurry to finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭morphy87

Had planned on reseeding a field, there meant to be giving next week good, Friday is to be wet, how long would I want a field sprayed off before the rain? If sprayed Thursday when would be the earliest you could plough it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’d be giving it 2 weeks at this time of year.

I think a lot of sprays are good after 45 minutes/hour before rain.

Would you have to wait two weeks with a plough?

With the weather would you chance it?

Definitely wouldn’t chance ploughing in this weather. Disk followed by power Harrow.

2 weeks is a guide as much as anything. Essentially you just need to make sure everything is dead so the naked eye will be your guide.

Why couldn’t you plough in this weather? If it took up for a few days would it be ok

Would you still chance spraying off and if you couldn’t plough then disc if the weather didn’t suit the ploughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jb1989

But will the round up not still work away though the root system even if the sod has been turned over?

Know of boys here having ploughed 4 or 5 days after spraying as they still wanted a green sod to grip the tractor wheels, and had a clean field ever after, compared to some fields next door, they didn't spray at all, and grows weeds every year.

Suppose I’m talking from a midlands perspective where we’re still getting a lot of rain coupled with heavy land. About 4 years ago I ploughed in last week of august- weather came poor and ended up sowing 10 May the following year.

im planning to do a bit in a few weeks and ploughing is simply not an option for me. Unless a miraculous change in the weather comes.

Yeah I was thinking that, you could plough quickly enough after it been sprayed, not disc though

I suppose every area is different, which method do you prefer?

How soon after ploughing before you can sow?

You could till the and sow the next day if it was dry enough but that is rarely the case.

my last 3 reseed jobs were ploughing, disk/power Harrow and stitch and it really depends on the situation. If weather is unsettled then ploughing is not an option. If there are stones, ploughing is not an option.

if field is unlevel then ploughing best option )assuming weather and stones not an issue).

tbf all 3 options worked equally well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

Have a field to reseed here myself. Going to rotovate and disc it as many times as necessary and broadcast seed with manure shaker and roll.

It's been a while since I've reseeded so just wondering should I roll before and after shaking seed to give a firm seedbed or just roll after.

Going to throw out a few bags of gran lime out also to help matters.

Any other advice or recommendations appreciated.

If ploughing and going in with a 10meter power harrow would there be any need to roll after ploughing and would you need a land leveler after the power harrow before sowing

When would you spread the lime, just after ploughing and the fertilizer just before sowing?

That field I was going to plough got extremely poached the past few weeks,the worst I have ever seen it, water lying in holes, does poached ground hold water or would it be the soil? I was told before sometime a pan forms underneath and this can make land wet?hopefully it drys by the end of the week, would it want to be very dry to plough and if so and ploughing wasn’t a opition how dry is it needed to disc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Have a field reseeded with 2 weeks here, still too wet to travel on, nothing was done since the seed went in.

Seed is up about an inch now what should i be doing in the next few weeks if weather improves?

I've continental suckler cows so grazing is out until next year, winters are long around here so realistically nothing will be going into the field until 1st cut silage next May.

Have fert and gran lime stacked in yard would like to roll it as well. Advice welcome, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We never kept any here so i dont know anything about them, fencing would not be sheep proof either.

Would i be better off holding back the fert and lime until next spring? If by some miracle the weather picked up how soon would i be able to roll it? Grass is only up about an inch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

The main thing it's in the ground..everything else is will come right..fertiliser etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If the fencing was middling wouldn’t they wait in the reseeded bit for a while ? Just put it on donedeal. Field for grazing. They would thicken it out brilliantly

Will need to be dry for ploughing. Maybe a run of the chain Harrow. Or has it dried up since?

• Advertisement

some roll after ploughing to give a firmer bed - I’ve never done it though

power harrows are mighty for levelling. You’ll know by looking at it after it’s power harrowed but I’d say unless it was a very uneven field, you shouldn’t need to anything more

lime would be best before ploughing to help it break down the trash. But will still do a job if shook afterwards too.

Advertisement