Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn’t express any broad an analysis of my own either, only that our social welfare system is far from generous, it’s shìt.

But your more pertinent question was around the idea of breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty, and that’s how it’s done, that’s how to change things - first, break the cycle, then continue development in order that in the future people are less likely to be dependent upon welfare.

It’s not just people living in poverty are in receipt on welfare btw, the vast majority of the middle classes are also in receipt of welfare in the form of child benefit as a more direct benefit, and education, healthcare and housing as secondary benefits. They’re just not as dependent on welfare as people living in poverty, which is why initial steps don’t have to be enough, they just have to be enough to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Breaking the cycle is a good thing, I agree. But evening classes for the social masses isnt going to be enough, realistically.

Step in the right direction? sure. But its not enough.

Our social welfare payments are high. If youre in Dublin and on the dole and your accom is paid for, you're pulling in the equivalent of easily over 3k a month after tax.

2000 for rent plus 900 job seekers allowance, plus free medical cards/visits.

I thought we weren’t doing a deep dive analysis? For what it’s worth though, your analysis is a bit shìt, for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that tenants in social housing never have their rent paid into their hand, it goes the other way, or at least it should, if a social housing tenant is keeping to their rent agreement:

The average weekly rent charge is €72.54 across the Council's 25,159 tenancies. A report due to be presented to DCC's Finance Committee states that just under a third of all these tenancies - 8,050 - are in rent arrear.

And 51 tenants owe more than €27,000 each, while a further 136 owe between €19,000 and €27,000. Another 589 households have rent arrears of between €11,000 and €19,000.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/almost-40-million-owed-dublin-25524294?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

So far as just breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty goes, I didn’t just mention a couple of evening classes to be fair, I offered a couple of suggestions, which are never likely to be implemented by Government as it’s not in their interests to do so, because the majority of people who do actually vote, aren’t interested in the welfare of those who are eligible to vote, but don’t.

Whether its paid into their hands or not is irrelevant. The rental cost of the property is still covered by the tax payer, so it is still free money for the person on the dole.

What was the other suggestion outside of adult education? I missed that one.

No, it’s very much relevant because it’s the difference between income which they pay tax on, like unemployment benefit for example, and social assistance, which is not income, and therefore nobody pays tax on it. You’re trying to portray it as income which a person receives directly from the tax payer when that’s simply not the case, nor is it free money for the person on the dole.

By your logic, the person on the dole paid for my child’s education, and I paid for the education of my work colleagues six children. It’s a good thing on his salary they don’t need the child benefit, but he’s paying more income tax than I do even though I earn more than he does. I suggested one time it was about time he put a ring on his girlfriends finger… he recoiled in horror at the notion of marriage 😂

Anyways, the other suggestions are contained within this post:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

This country is quickly going down the swanny.

We have a minister who is encouraging people to come here.

We don't have enough gards to police the people here as it is.

Then we have a minister who is pushing a law that will have guards spending time pandering to attention seekers who get offended at everything.

Why would anyone want to become a guard.

This is without a doubt the most incompetent government in our history, if this was France then people would be on the streets.

I can only imagine what this place will be like in 5 or 10 years.

Incompetent McEntee retweeted this, as if to suggest we've done all we need to do -- now #DublinisSafe.

Whilst it's always good to see figures like this, it wouldn't surprise me if the number of patrols, searches, and arrests actually needed far surpasses these numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The golf club adds a certain whiff of white collar to the crime. Meanwhile, their role models spent last night queueing for "free money".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Typical “no facilities” waffle.

so what’s his answer then? Always short on specifics

• Guards on bikes is not the optics to send to the scrotes.

The Government really don't understand the issue. Them lads will be laughed at and bullied out of a job.

They'll probably get their bikes robbed!

Major facepalm🤦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Bikes are ideal for the city centre, can go anywhere on them.

Police across the world use them but you know better sure...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I most certainly do know better. Bikes are a great idea but we are a couple of steps before that.

Increase in some fit burly Guards on foot for a start with a very visible presence maintained at strategic points to direct the on foot patrols in parallel with a legal system review

Can see a couple of them Guards being laughed at as their bikes are fired into the Liffey and the bikes gradually disappearing off the streets leaving us back to square one.

€10 million wasted on an optics solution that doesn't get to the root cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they've been using bikes for years in Dublin and I've yet to hear of any being thrown into our waterways

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Was it a couple of years ago that Dublin City Council published pictures of people dumping rubbish and it slowed down dramatically due to name and shame?

Why not make a provision in law, that if a person is 14 and older and commits a violent assault or violent crime, that they're old enough to be named and have their picture distributed to the media, said information uploaded to a website run by the Gardaí/Courts that makes the public aware of who they are and what they've done, and force them to undergo 1000 hours of community service (10 hours every Saturday/Sunday for one year ) within their local area and release said information.

There's something to be said for naming and shaming.

Or bring back the stocks.

Because one thing is certain, that the younger people doing these assaults have zero humility. So give them some.

you really think these kids would give a f*ck if they were named and shamed? they'd probably take it as an ego boost. have you ever met an angry inner city youth in dublin? they're a different breed.

also, good luck trying to get them to do any kind of community service, what if they just outright refuse? beatings? some of you live in a fantasy world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think nowadays most people dont even bother to report crimes in Dublin.

Sure if you could find a garda they couldnt even be bothered to walk around the corner even if you told them comeone was getting mugged there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well you do seem a bit glib or you'e honstly missing the point. If the West End of London is the equivlant of Dublin CC I can tell you that I never in many years seen the types of people you see in and around O'Connell St there. The dogey areas would be way outside of that district where tourists and visitors would have no reason to visit. You'd see the odd homeless person after dark but not by day. Pickpocets would be an issue but they were often professionsal ones well dressed. I'm say crime rates in London are proproportialy higher than Dublin overall but the West End of London is famously heavily policed with CCTV cameras everywere.

I see no reason at all why a no loitering policy withing a squale mile area could not be introduced in the CC, treating it as a protected area. Start with the groups say sitting on the borardwalk or loitering outside shops. It would be piss easy to identify the skangers, by the way they dress, by the way they sound, by their accent, by their behaviour. Oh wait a mintue, no can't do that, that would be targeting a demopraphic, computer says no.

And yes I do care, I like Dublin, I like citties, I particualry like to walk all over the place when I visit them, rather than going into buildings, musems and that. Unless the building in a pub or nightclub. Walking in the countryside looking at nettles and biodiverstiy doesn't rock my boat. So yeah I want to have plesant expreince when I'm in a city, it's why I'd be there the first place. And whatever reason the skangers are in the city it's not the same reason as my reason.

what's the point in even saying this bullsh*t?

What's the point in hanging around all day criticising everyone else's posts? Let's just keep giving them more facilities and hope the future completely surprises us all instead. Would love to hear your solution which does not involve doing the same thing we have been doing and expecting different results? Some folks just need a hiding.

• Advertisement

yes, facilities, more role models, therapy, all these things could help, or maybe they wont, but you know 100% we're never going to start state sanctioned beatings of children, so what's the f*cking point in all of you banging on about this stuff? at least the bleeding heart liberals ideas have some tiny grasp of reality of things that might actually happen.

Oh ok, just hope for the best then. There will be no more facilities, their role models are not sufficient humans to be actual role models and therapy....right.

hoping for the best with therapy, better facilities like sports etc., is better than fantasising about family members of the victim being locked in a room beating up teenagers, yes. it's based in reality. same goes for chain gangs, boot camp, army service etc. all pie in the sky bullsh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Quite possibly. I live 500 yards from a garda station as the crow flies and I'm always amazed at the lack of garda presence in the park near me that has plenty of antisocial behaviour at times.

I'm still firmly in the CC is relatively safe camp. But I think we need more garda visibility. Temple bar should have a constant garda presence of 20+ on foot patrol. Likewise o'connell Street, probably double that really.

I was out at Howth recently and was amazed at how many visible guards there were milling about the harbour. Queuing for food, strolling etc.

When I compare it to my local station it was apples and oranges.

If it was based in reality it would work in reality. It doesn't. You are the bleeding heart liberal you mentioned above. Nothing will change.

i would imagine it does work in many cases, therapy and access to sports such as boxing and football turned around the lives of many well known sport stars. can you think of any high profile people whos lives were changed by having the sh*t kicked out of them by those in power?

• Advertisement

High profile? We're talking about normal folks here. Saying that, we should all look forward to seeing the lads who kick the life out of tourists for the craic, at the next Olympics. That's not pie in the sky at all.

these high profile stars were normal folks to begin with. look at anthony joshua for example.

so what do you think could help troubled teenagers who get up to no good, i mean what solutions, in the sphere of reality that might actually happen, would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Well then let's go another way then.

You're either born with two ovaries or two testicles. Commit one serious assault/battery before the age of 18, have one removed. A second serious offence, remove the other. Commit a third serious crime, life in prison. Would probably prevent crime, and possibly breeding of criminal children.

We could also start removing fingers surgically when you're caught thieving from the age of 12 (bar the thumb and index fingers).

Rapists/sexual assaults results in removal of genitals and one hand to prevent any further attempts at rape/sexual assault.

Murder = death penalty. Fair warning there.

And all crimes to be categorized by a letter. Rape/sexual assault=R, assault=A, murder=M, theft/robbery=T and so on. And if you commit a crime, you have it publicly scarred onto you forehead.

That'll scare them.

In the sphere of our current reality? Arm around the shoulder, "you can do no wrong and can be anything you want to be, even with 50 convictions at 18", let the schools raise them while the parents are simply best friends with devices to keep them busy, no structure or actual parenting. Oh and trust them implicitly from an astounding age to the point where you don't know where they are at midnight. They will always be playing chess or something else wholesome, obviously. That sort of stuff. Reality.

so yeah you got nothing except fantasies about beating up unruly children

• Advertisement

Unruly? Interesting, how you choose your words. Mainly just the ones who choose, and it is a choice, to try kick the eye out of a middle-aged man for absolutely no reason. They will never be sports stars, as in your fantasy.

Thank you though, upstanding Boards.ie denizen, for correcting my thoughts. I pray the remainder of my thoughts and opinions will please you. As should all others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We need City cops like in Barcealona,

The Garda are too stretched get in the City cops to keep order in the City streets

Now, please, excuse my interruption. Everyone back to one side saying Dublin is a Utopia, whilst the other side proclaims it Mordor.

Unemployed people living in social housing arent paying any income tax.

Thats my point.

But they are still having their rent paid for by the tax payer and in addition recrive about 900 a month in unemployment benefit. So are recieving approx 3k per monh net in benefits, if renting in Dublin.

Thsts more than the average single worker take home each month.

I wasnt referring to people on social welfare that also work.

I dont see any other material suggestioms in your post outside of adult education. Which is a positive sure, but isnt going to change much in reality.

As long as all parties consent, and if it’s appropriate, that might happen:

https://www.probation.ie/en/PB/Pages/WP16000044#:~:text=Victim%20Offender%20Mediation%20(VOM)%3A,assisted%20by%20a%20trained%20mediator.

There’s no concrete evidence of it’s effectiveness, but I’m biased because I think it’s just a ridiculous idea to begin with tbh.

Good point to have no loitering policy in the city centre.

Any open drinking/dope smoking/drug dealing should be an arrestable offence and people barred from the city centre.

But we need to get the social housing out of the north inner city and introduce mixed developmeents.

That would be a major step towards gentrification.

so no having a couple of beers in merrion square or along the canal when the weather is nice? myself and a lot of people i know enjoy doing this in the summer so i'll be voting against this measure anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

"Walking in the countryside looking at nettles and biodiverstiy doesn't rock float my boat."

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What’s this we need to get the social housing out of the North Inner City ?

Im from the South Inner City , raised in the city and still working.Myself and my wife both have family and friends all across the north and south inner all living in social housing , inner city flats from Cuffe Street, Kevin Street , Gardiner Street and Dorset Street.

All love living in the city and don’t want to leave it, their kids go to school , they all work and have no criminal history .

Gentrification is one of these new buzz words where pox’s open fancy cafes and starting acting the bollix charging a fortune for a fry or a bit scrambled egg along with ruining local pubs with shite craft beer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement

Aye, I read Foxtails post and while I can understand the idea behind advocating for more mixed developments, that’s a complete contradiction to the idea of gentrification! Gentrification is a disaster for the people living in those communities.

Basically, we need the state to parent these kids that aren't getting any parenting at home, and try and re-direct their development. Or even with early intervention, children being put into foster care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I grew up in Kevin Street and still work in the city centre along with socialising in it .

I work just off O Connell and there’s a lot of that area around Talbot Street and Marlborough Street that has been bought up or tried to be bought up by investors from the Far East who want to close down all those pubs and business, demolish the area and turn it into hotels and offices . However bad it’s now , if these investors have their way it will up like IFSC busy by day empty by night with over priced hotels nobody can afford.

Ahh no, don’t agree with that approach at all tbh, I don’t advocate for the State interfering in family life. I don’t agree that parents are entirely at fault either. Basically much of the causes of antisocial behaviour is peer pressure, it’s why juvenile offenders often engage in antisocial behaviour in packs, it’s why on their own they’re not nearly so billy bigballs and they end up crying in Court - they don’t have the validation and protection of their peer group, who are all as cowardly and insecure in themselves as the one who gets caught.

‘We’ don’t need to do anything, because they’re not our problem, and they’re not our responsibility. Redirecting their development is a good idea, by means of mentorship programmes. One example is the Foróige run Big Brother Big Sister programme -

https://www.foroige.ie/our-work/big-brother-big-sister/about-foroige-youth-mentoring

Removing children from their families and putting them in foster care is probably the absolute worst idea, and should only be considered in the most extreme cases, because the outcomes of removing children from their parents and putting them into the foster care system just aren’t good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure about taking kids away unless there is some sort of extreme situation, but it would be simple enough to tie in a bonus system of whatever amount for

a) children attending school for at least 80% of the previous six months

b) having six months without Garda involvement in the family

c) hospital appointments attended

d) engagement with the children's schools

e) examinations or training courses completed.

Lots of things could be added. Of course many people consider the above as normal parenting activities, but I can assure you many don't.

Addicted parents is an extreme situation.

I think for the intervention to work with the parents like you have listed it would be need to be a minimum standard. Parent engagement with social services if this standard cannot be attained. Many of these parents have their own struggles and problems that they're passing on from their own childhood/parents so the issue is, what's the incentive for these parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement