Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me buy my next bike

Options
  • 14-08-2023 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2020 Trek Domane SL with 105 mechanical gearset 52X36T X 11x34T and Ultegra Hydraulic brakes with 32mm tyres which I'm selling (giving away 🙄) to my son who has started a 15km commute so I need to pull the trigger on a new bike which will hopefully do me for the next 5-10 years.

For background I'm 57, 90kg and 183cm and I average about 150km a week over two spins, one midweek 50km-60km with typically 750m climbing and one weekend 100km or so with 1,000m to 1,300m climbing.

I love that the Domane is just so comfortable and confident on the road with its 32mm tyres but I find the 52X36T X 11x34T setup is a gear or two short of what I'd like when tackling the toughest climbs.

My budget for the new bike is up to circa €3,500.

Given my age, riding profile and the fact I want to get a good few years out of this bike I'd appreciate recommendations which meet most or all of the following criteria:-

• Climbing & endurance friendly geometry.
    • As wide a gear range as possible, particularly at the low end. A low ratio of circa 0.9 would probably extend my ability to keep climbing for a few extra years.
    • At least 28mm tyre clearance.
    • Hydraulic brakes. The Ultegra Ice brakes on the Domane are out of this world compared to the rim brakes on the previous bike I had.

I've never experienced electronic shifting and didn't think I'd ever be interested but the Sram Rival eTap AXS 2x12 speed, 10x36 X 33/46 setup looks like it could be ideal in terms of gear range with a low of 0.92 and a high of 4.6.

Bikes I've looked at thus far:-

If I had to plumb for one of the above I'd probably go for the Canyon as I think it represents the closest spec to what I want (has the widest range of gearing) and also appears to be the best bang for my buck.

I've always purchased my previous bikes form my LBS but over the past few years I switched to a different LBS which focuses mostly on repairs and rentals and isn't bothered too much about selling new bikes so if I was going to purchase online I'm pretty sure they'd service the bike and I'd confirm that with them in advance.

Thoughts? Alternative suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Alternative suggestions?

don't give your son a bike like that for commuting on!

get a new chainset to gain a couple of percent in the gear ratios on - akin to many of the bikes you're looking at. you seem very happy with that bike in every other aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Your cold headed logic is correct of course but the young lad is paying me (eventually) €1,500 for the Domane and will also use it for some weekend cycling with his mates so I'm happy to encourage him into it and of course it gives me an excuse to get a new bike and who doesn't want that???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

He'd want to have a secure lockup for the commuting aspect. Definitely not the kind of bike you'd chain up against a street pole in town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That was part of the reason for my comment. It does not strike me as an obvious commuting bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If I were after an endurance type bike I'd take one of these orbeas over a Trek all day long. I do like the canyon but plenty of bike for the money below.

• Advertisement

He's lucky to have very secure (swipe card access to open a security gate + lots of CCTV and a security guard etc) bike storage as part of the office car park with changing room, lockers and showers etc.

Thanks @iwillhtfu, that's a super suggestion. Don't know why I'm so blind to Orbea. It's a lovely looking bike with a great spec and configuration options.

Unfortunately the Canyon Sram Rival eTap crank is configured 48/35 rather than 46/33 which removes the wider gear range from the Canyon :-(

Post edited by 54and56 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've never experienced electronic shifting and didn't think I'd ever be interested but the Sram Rival eTap AXS 2x12 speed, 10x36 X 33/46 setup looks like it could be ideal in terms of gear range with a low of 0.92 and a high of 4.6.

Electronic gears are just so much better IMO. You can shift standing up on climbs and under load on the flat. It's great. I've used Campag only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd go the Canyon there but also, if you want to climb hills what in the name of God are you dragging 32mm tyres up them? Unless you're climbing off road? 😁

Yeah, I think the main opportunity flogging the 2020 mechanical Domane SL to the young lad presents is the opportunity to upgrade to electronic shifting rather than just do a straight replacement or similar with mechanical shifting.

I really do want to build in as wide a gearing range as possible, particularly at the low end so I'll have as much help as possible over the next 5 years or so.

The Sram Rival eTap AXS 2x12 speed, 10x36 paired with the 33/46 crank looks ideal as it gives a low gearing of 0.92 and a high of 4.6.

The Shimano 105 Di2 50x34 crank paired with the optional 11-36 cassette would give low gearing of 0.94 and high of 4.55 so in that configuration it would produce a nice range also but I don't like the fact that with the 105 Di2 the while bike has to be plugged in in order to charge it whereas with the Sram you can pop off the battery packs and charge them indoors.

The problem is I can't find any off the shelf bikes in the price range I'm looking at which come with or allow you to spec the Sram Rival eTap with the 33/46 crank, they all seem to come with the 48/35 crank only 😓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

54and56 stated he wants an endurance/climbing friendly bike, but the blurb on that suggests it's going to be racing geometry?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

It's reviewed as an endurance bike here - https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/wilier-triestina-garda-rival-axs-review/

Buth there is the comment - "However, not unusually for an Italian bike with endurance aspirations, the Garda’s geometry is at the racier end of the spectrum".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Willier Garda - not allowed if you have any visible tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Vitus bikes are often overlooked and are usually very good value for money.

Have owned a couple and always been good quality-wise as well. Could be worth a look.

Also, have a look at the ’bikotic’ website. You may be able to filter for your requirements there and see what fits the bill

Ah I know it doesn't make sense if climbing is your only / main criteria but at my age and weight I love the comfort, control and confidence 32mm gives me particularly on fast descents. The obvious trade off, as you point out, is it makes climbing marginally harder Vs 28mm or 25mm but I'm happy I get more out of them in all other respects than I give away on climbs albeit there are always moments when I'd give my left testicle for more gears and/or less weight!!

If I do end up with a more climbing centric bike like an Edmonda rather than a relaxed geometry Endurance type bike I'll probably pare it back to 28mm's which I think would work fine for me also.

Yeah, that's lovely looking (particularly the black and red version) and it has the right groupset set-up . Will look at reviews and contact them to see which frame size would be right for me as I can't see on their site how they size them.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I wouldn't be too worried about gearing when choosing a bike. Easy to change cassette and chainrings afterwards on any bike to get the gearing you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That's a good point. I have 50-34 and 11-34 on my winter bike and wanted the same on my good bike which was 52-36 and 11-30. I did it when the chain was due to be changed anyway but needed new derailleur (Di2 so 200€+), chainrings (80€) and cassette (50€). I was able to sell on the old parts second hand so with labour the cost to me was about 150€ (and you wouldn't always need to change the derailleur, and could easily do such a job yourself).

3500 is a very nice budget for a bike, should get you something good with electronic shifting and a decent wheelset. I would try out a few different bikes and see which you like best. I would also look at Giant, last time I was buying a new bike they were the only major brand (maybe along with Cube) that could compete with Canyon on price / spec but also available from a LBS.

The other thing I would consider is building up yourself with a steel frame. Electronic grouspets are readily available online now for less than 1100 (105 Di2 or SRAM Force Etap). Add a set of wheels such as Zipp 303s (allow for 1000 with tires) then another 200 for handlebars, stem, seatpost and saddle. Leaves you with around 1200 to pick a nice frame

That's not a bad shout at all @CantGetNoSleep, I've a good relationship with my LBS who are much more focused on repairs and service than flogging new bikes so they might be up for sourcing components and building a bike to suit my criteria.

I'll pop into them and have a chat to see if they'd be up for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement