Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking News: John O'Donovan Injured During Peaceful Protest Mod Warning #146

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Change happened alright. Free Medical Cards for over 70's were scrapped. New limits were brought in and most have now been assessed. They have lost their Electricity and phone units. Fuel allowance has been cut by a month.
    Life isn't perfect under FG/Labour, but they are taking the tough decisions needed. Admittedly they often go about it ham fisted, but things are moving in the right direction. We cannot keep spending more than is in the coffers.

'Ham Fisted' is putting it very mildly.
    When will they lead by example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

TOMO666 wrote: »
    Do you not think we are already paying for it in our taxes???

Exactly my problem, give me one good reason why I, as someone with no access to the public water supply, should subsidise your wasteful (or even frugal) water habits???
    TOMO666 wrote: »
    When the over 70's stood up to FF over the medical cards they backed, change can happen, it's about people standing together for whats right.

On that matter, when FF tried to take medical cards off the very richest pensioners that protest did of course lead to a U-turn but lets remember that the vast majority of over 70's were going to keep their medical cards. As a consequence prescription charges were introduced for everyone and we now see discretionary medical cards being taken off some of the most chronically ill, so everyone on a medical card suffers to protect a small interest group and their entitlements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

On that matter, when FF tried to take medical cards off the very richest pensioners that protest did of course lead to a U-turn but lets remember that the vast majority of over 70's were going to keep their medical cards. As a consequence prescription charges were introduced for everyone and we now see discretionary medical cards being taken off some of the most chronically ill, so everyone on a medical card suffers to protect a small interest group and their entitlements.

Fine Gael are now going to bring in medical cards for all children aged 5 and under. Crazy plan as all it will do is to take cards off of the chronically ill who actually do need medical cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Fine Gael are now going to bring in medical cards for all children aged 5 and under. Crazy plan as all it will do is to take cards off of the chronically ill who actually do need medical cards.

The Government are bringing in free GP care for children aged 5 - it is not a medical card and will not cover any other aspects, i.e., it will not cover medicines that may be prescribed for those aged five and under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

evilivor wrote: »
    The Government are bringing in free GP care for children aged 5 - it is not a medical card and will not cover any other aspects, i.e., it will not cover medicines that may be prescribed for those aged five and under.

it will be like the gp only card won't it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

hoodwinked wrote: »
    it will be like the gp only card won't it? :confused:

It is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

strandsman wrote: »
    If you don't like what is done in this country then go somewhere else, You'll soon find out what people in other countries pay for and it'll be no less than here.

Yes. Accept the status quo; no complaints, no gripes, no protests. Accept, accept, accept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

old hippy wrote: »
    Yes. Accept the status quo; no complaints, no gripes, no protests. Accept, accept, accept!

Or from the other side of that fence,

Accept that citizens have to pay their way if they want to have facilities.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Or from the other side of that fence,

Accept that citizens have to pay their way if they want to have facilities.

I, for one, welcome an oxygen charge

• Advertisement

If you want free water I'm sure there's a river nearby, go mad! But potable water doesn't come cheap!

I think the carbon tax is sufficient.

From Today's Irish Examiner

Water meter protesters have been forced to withdraw from part of a Cork housing estate after complaints from long-time residents.

Tensions between the residents of Elmvale estate off the Sarsfield Road and a small group of protesters, some of whom also live in the estate, have escalated in recent days.

Some residents opposed to the week-old Irish Water blockade said they were angry at the protesters who “took over” their estate with no mandate from the vast majority of an estimated 160 householders.

There were angry exchanges between some residents and the protesters last Tuesday when the first blockade was mounted.

It was the fourth Cork estate to mount such a protest — blockades are continuing at Ashbrook Heights in Lehanaghmore, Ferwood and Palmbury nearby.

But Elmvale protest leader Sharon Deane defended her right to protest in her own estate.

She said when she and some of her neighbours approached the residents’ association last week about a water meter protest, they got no support.

But that didn’t stop them from blocking the main road into the estate.

She said at least seven of her neighbours in her part of the estate are fully supportive of the blockade.

With support from anti-water protesters from elsewhere, they have prevented Irish Water contractors from installing water meters in Elmvale estate for a week.

“I and my husband own our own house. We have no mortgage. We are entitled to protest,” she said. “We have withdrawn from one section of the estate after we were asked by residents to move.

“But we will continue our protest. I have every right to protest. It’s ongoing and it’s going to continue.”

She said they are keeping a watching brief on the situation and are ready to mount a protest at a moment’s notice if they see Irish Water contractors enter the estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's funny in a way that she is defending her right to protest, which is fair, but at the same time don't other residents have a right to have a meter installed if that is their wish? I would have thought you could only protest (and as a result prevent) installation of a meter on your own property. Either way, it looks like causing disharmony in the relevant estates.

Sure, they are entitled to protest, but not if it is disrupting their neighbours day to day life. Of course, Democracy is not in the vocabulary to these protesters.

mordeith wrote: »
    It's funny in a way that she is defending her right to protest, which is fair, but at the same time don't other residents have a right to have a meter installed if that is their wish? I would have thought you could only protest (and as a result prevent) installation of a meter on your own property. Either way, it looks like causing disharmony in the relevant estates.

Could she "protest" and prevent them from doing the work if the RA invited Irish water in to the area to install the meters i wonder?

• Advertisement

Could she "protest" and prevent them from doing the work if the RA invited Irish water in to the area to install the meters i wonder?

The RA have no statutory authority over the estate (either do the protesters mind you) so whether the RA invites Irish Water, it's really up to Irish Water what they do.

The RA have no statutory authority over the estate (either do the protesters mind you) so whether the RA invites Irish Water, it's really up to Irish Water what they do.

Ok

If i said i wanted my meter installed and asked IW to come to my house and install it then would the protesters have the right to stop them from installing the meters?

Ok

If i said i wanted my meter installed and asked IW to come to my house and install it then would the protesters have the right to stop them from installing the meters?

Try it and see.

Try it and see.

Try what?

No protesters where i live and have no problem with people doing their jobs, am just wondering on the hypothetical if one (or group) person can stop another person from working when a third person has said they wish to have the work done.

No protesters where i live and have no problem with people doing their jobs, am just wondering on the hypothetical if one (or group) person can stop another person from working when a third person has said they wish to have the work done.

An interesting question. I can't imagine protesters being able to stop work when the householder wants it done.

• Advertisement

An interesting question. I can't imagine protesters being able to stop work when the householder wants it done.

But the work is being done on the public pavement, just wondering if they would go against residents wishes is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,221 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

But the work is being done on the public pavement, just wondering if they would go against residents wishes is all.
    they have been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I'm in palmbury and if I've to pay water charges want them to be metered- I only spey the charges if they make people conserve water. Does anyone know if irish water have tried to come on site and if they were speed. Not long in the estate and don't want to ask any neighbour I kinda know in case they're pro - protest !!! Keeping my head down. Sing to know if majority of people here support the protest or if it's just the same handful I see our protesting every morning

I'm in palmbury and if I've to pay water charges ,want them to be metered- I support the charges if they make people conserve water. Does anyone know if irish water have tried to come on site and if they were stopped? Not long in the estate and don't want to ask any neighbours in case they're pro - protest !!! Keeping my head down. Dying to know if majority of people here support the protest or if it's just the same handful I see out protesting every morning

Ok

Seeing as the installation of water meters technically takes place on public land it makes no difference as to the protesters legality if they picket Irish Water when you invited them, however they could hardly have much legitimacy! Having said that though, I don't think Irish Water as such install the meters on request, they get to you when they're ready.

Seeing as the installation of water meters technically takes place on public land it makes no difference as to the protesters legality if they picket Irish Water when you invited them, however they could hardly have much legitimacy! Having said that though, I don't think Irish Water as such install the meters on request, they get to you when they're ready.

Oh i know am just shooting out thoughts here :D

The thing is if you have a bunch of houses (say 40) and of those 40 houses 36 don't mind the water meters being installed, is it right for the other 4 houses to protest against the installation of meters outside of the 36 houses that agree to the water meters?

Is it ok for those 4 houses to not only protest but to bring in outside help (professional protesters if you will) to stop the installation of meters on the 36 houses that wish to have them installed?

Oh i know am just shooting out thoughts here :D

The thing is if you have a bunch of houses (say 40) and of those 40 houses 36 don't mind the water meters being installed, is it right for the other 4 houses to protest against the installation of meters outside of the 36 houses that agree to the water meters?

Is it ok for those 4 houses to not only protest but to bring in outside help (professional protesters if you will) to stop the installation of meters on the 36 houses that wish to have them installed?

At the end of the day, because the installation takes place on public land the opinion of the residents is immaterial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Seriously though - how's John doing? Is he alright now like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Seriously though - how's John doing? Is he alright now like?

Hopefully he is getting a good nights sleep, he has a lot of radio work in the morning.

Sure, they are entitled to protest, but not if it is disrupting their neighbours day to day life. Of course, Democracy is not in the vocabulary to these protesters.

All protest causes some form of disruption, whether the road is cordoned off for a march or traffic is diverted and so on. This is part of democracy; the right to challenge the status quo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

According to the 96fm facebook page, John O'Donovan is on air discussing the death threat he received over the weekend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh FFS! Why am I not surprised to hear that? Drama, drama, drama...

Guy seriously needs to get a life. These charges are coming in - whether we like it or not. He needs to spend his time doing something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

FrStone wrote: »
    According to the 96fm facebook page, John O'Donovan is on air discussing the death threat he received over the weekend....

death threats seem to be the new buzz word for anyone who under media scrutiny, it's just a ploy to keep people on side, so everyone now have to softly softly step around these upstanding citizens of the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cry me a river John, you were the same fella who said politicans and public figures were fair game for abuse and threats when discussing the Shatter situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

On the Neil Prenderville Show he wasnt live on air but he told his staff hes been bed bound and on medication for the last week and a half.

And the so called death threat was also mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

mikeym wrote: »
    On the Neil Prenderville Show he wasnt live on air but he told his staff hes been bed bound and on medication for the last week and a half.

And the so called death threat was also mentioned.

If only his voice went for a week and half - it would give the rest of us a break!

death threats seem to be the new buzz word for anyone who under media scrutiny, it's just a ploy to keep people on side, so everyone now have to softly softly step around these upstanding citizens of the community.

And meanwhile, those who make said threats are free to do so?
    FrStone wrote: »
    If only his voice went for a week and half - it would give the rest of us a break!

Do you tune in specifically to be annoyed by his voice? Can you not switch channel or hit the mute button?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

And meanwhile, those who make said threats are free to do so?

Do you tune in specifically to be annoyed by his voice? Can you not switch channel or hit the mute button?

so do you honestly think that a person who threatened this man life is actually going to go through with it? Over a water meter?? I'm still laughing at the thought of it.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

He's asked for a neck brace was told thats 10,000 minimum offer

• Advertisement

He's asked for a neck brace was told thats 10,000 minimum offer

They should settle with him - tell him he can have €10,000 off his lifetime water bill…

so do you honestly think that a person who threatened this man life is actually going to go through with it? Over a water meter?? I'm still laughing at the thought of it.:D:D:D

Yes, death threats are hilarious and should be encouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The residents have achieved something! Water meters being removed from the Ashbrook estate,
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-water-contractors-remove-meters-from-cork-estate-630488.html

Irish water have said the meters are being removed for inspection!

bladebrew wrote: »
    The residents have achieved something! Water meters being removed from the Ashbrook estate,
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-water-contractors-remove-meters-from-cork-estate-630488.html

Irish water have said the meters are being removed for inspection!

I don't understand what their endgame is though. They're going to have to pay a flat fee regardless or have supply reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

seefin wrote: »
    I don't understand what their endgame is though. They're going to have to pay a flat fee regardless or have supply reduced.

and those flat fee's are going to be more expensive than their metered usage unless they run their taps all day, :confused:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pledge-to-continue-protests-as-irish-water-contractors-remove-meters-from-cork-estate-268548.html
    In a statement, Irish Water said that water meters had been removed as part of a clean-up operation and that no boundary boxes had been removed.
    "In the Ashbrook Estate in Cork, Irish Water is today performing permanent reinstatement works to pathways and surrounding areas, as planned," the statement said.
    "There are six boundary installations impacted.
    "Five meters in new boundary boxes have been removed temporarily for inspection and will be re-installed in due course as part of the completion of works in the estate. No meter (boundary) boxes have been removed.
    "Residents were informed that Irish Water was doing this."

• Advertisement

Did anyone hear our dearest John on PJ Coogan this morning??? What a sexist gowl, (I'm no supporter of Ela what's her name to start with) but he reasoned that she as a woman shouldn't wear fishnet tights because she looked like a prostitute in them, and that it was unbecoming of a woman running of office to wear them, but that it was okay for Mick Wallace to wear his pink shirt ("but not if he was started wearing fishnets like some sort of transvestite!")

He also gave out about people texting in to the show giving out about him, while "at least he would ring in and take a stand", and it was rightly pointed out that he wouldn't take an actual stand by running for election!

At least I know now, John O'Donovan is actually nothing to worry about as eventually he will alienate everyone and anyone who could possibly agree with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Did anyone hear our dearest John on PJ Coogan this morning???

I did not, I'm just one.

I asked a local newbie election candidate to go on the Prendeville show and said he does not get on with Prenders, he'd do PJ instead. Hasn't the audience I said, mend your grievances fast like or do even worse in the election.

Niall at least has the sense to refuse airtime to John if he's already been on to PJ.

You make John seem even more demented than he has been, maybe post traumatic stress from the recent battle front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

A lot of listeners are getting sick of John.

He'd want to ease off a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hes aligned himself of late with that bunch of workdodging headers harassing Cork City Library staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No doubt this will get closed as a zombie thread but I'm not surprised at the above.

IMO, the water charges debacle created a precident that told people that if they shouted loud enough, they could force change on things that they don't agree with, irrespective of whether they are in the common interest or not. These people think that's how democracy works.

I believe that the emboldened attitude of the anti migrant/anti trans/anti everything people is a direct result of the water charge u turn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement