Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

A lot of naive people think banks won't get back their money.

Taking what's not yours is theft, plain and simple.

If they can throw people into jail for not paying a TV licence what do you think they will do to people who stole 1000 euro from Bank of Ireland and refuse to pay it back?

As for those who intend to continue operating their bank account, it's just going to be debited from your social welfare or wages when paid in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭StevenToast

It certainly appeared to be the cream of Irish Society queueing up at BOI ATMs last night.....

Scum....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

But they didnt steal it, the just took advantage of a glitch.......

If they thought that the bank was giving free money out they were sadly mistaking, even with a glitch the transaction will be recorded somewhere and will always be clawed back. BOI should have just turned all ATMS to out of service when it was first noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Totally. But unfortunately if they need to keep their bank account they will now have interest and charges to pay which are not small to someone on low income- I’d imagine these might be waived if there was say a grace period of returning all of the money taken- but if you’re thick enough to spend that money last night on whatever rocks your boat, and many will have, then that grace period won’t mean anything as they won’t have the money to pay back

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

Rubbish. For example if you had 100 euro in your account and the ATM allowed a withdrawal of 1000 euro. Your account will remain 900 euro dr until enough credit payments restore a positive balance. Bu## about authorised and such.

I guarantee that any of these numpties will find it very hard to open another bank account over the coming weeks especially if they are in receipt of welfare payments.

BTW I worked in a lending role for 20 years in a bank.

• Advertisement

It's not a glitch it's theft/fraud.

If it wasn't yours to begin with, it's not yours to spend.

If you walked into a bank and witnessed 1000 euro laying on the floor, do you think it's yours to spend?

Just because its there does not give you the right to spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The 3 in the orange jackets are easy found if they wear them again 😂

https://x.com/j1rooney/status/1691597253281034353?s=46&t=IY-y8V-cxTAz1djkZYvB6A

Can you not embed from X formerly known as Twitter anymore?

That will be technically challenging to implement - what the bank would effectively have to do is refund the accounts the money taken and then isolate the “stolen” funds as a loan of some kind - I don’t see that happening TBH- at some stage these adults acting like children need to be treated as adults - if they spent 1000 euro in less than 24 hours then sorry I’ve no pity on you - I believe Dunnes stores do nice tinned beans and there’s any amount of recipes online since the Covid days on how to make your own bread

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I completely get that, my post was highlighting the typical excuse some people will use to excuse said theft.

Other instances of wrongful payments into people's accounts.

A teenager who was overpaid his wages after his employer made a 'decimal point error' - meaning he got €19,639 instead of €196.36 - has been jailed for FOUR YEARS after going on a spending spree.

Irishman Karl Smith had “an incredible temptation presented to him” - just two days after his 19th birthday - when the money was mistakenly paid into his bank account.

Woman used €51,000 accidental deposit for spending spree

Margaret McDonnell (23) received the money into her account following bank mix-up

At Wednesday's hearing, McDonnell, of Rathvilly Park, Finglas, Co Dublin, pleaded guilty to 13 counts of theft of cash from Bank of Ireland on dates between March 7th and 16th, 2013.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/woman-used-51-000-accidental-deposit-for-spending-spree-1.2951276

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

Thanks - sounds like a great customer experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭vickers209

Somebody in bank of Ireland will have a sore head trying to get a handle on what happened last night,

Seen the below doing the below rounds

Heard there was people in local garage using bank of ireland cards that haven't been used in 2 or 3 years to buy fuel and cigarettes and struggling to remember there pin number as hadnt used the card in so long,

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭FazyLucker

I spent a period of time travelling many years ago. I had a huge credit card bill and was looking for work in a foreign country at the time. I needed to open a bank account but couldn't as I had a missed credit card payment - which was showing up on the banks credit check. Credit history follows you around. It might not matter to many in the queues, but to some it will.

I bet the Department of Social Protection won't be letting anybody change their destination bank account in the coming weeks lest the "free munny" brigade think they can pull a fast one.

Looking at the queue on social media, everybody who I expected would be in the queue was in it. I suppose personal responsibility is for people a generation ago.

Considering people were withdrawing money late last night, it would be mental to think they already spent it, I would imagine most still have the cash so there will be no issue with either putting it back into their accounts or holding onto it and allowing any debits to bring down the unauthorized overdrafts.

For those who spent it on TVs and such, then I'm afraid its tough, I pity the poor staff in Tesco having to deal with people demanding refunds on their 65-inch TVs because they now need the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭midnightblue

I had VPN enabled on the phone, initially thought that was interfering with access to the app. Woeful that they didn't replicate the website's banner message onto the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

As Burgess said this morning, fraud is fraud. Those who are not concerned about credit ratings may find life gets harder when BofI closes their accounts and they have hardship opening another. They'd better get used to cash again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anybody who thought they were getting free money last night are completely brain dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I lost respect for some people yesterday. Running out of work to get "free cash" at an ATM using their own card

I know there's a large cohort who get welfare at PO who will have benefitted financially

Still very easy for them to just ask the 4 other ATM operators or Visa to temporarily decline the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Someone on the radio asking for leniency for social welfare recipients for paying the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Haven't read the full thread but I had a nightmare experience two weeks ago when in Spain and since then I only use cash. On the Thursday night Permanent TSB went completely down for card transactions and ATMs. Checked Twitter and other customers were reporting same problem. I had already told PTSB I was away and had no problem the previous four days with any card transactions so it wasn't a random block. Open 24 was closed and the Fraud Department phone lines had also crashed / closed.

Couldn't pay for my meal in Spain and the waiter frogmarched me to the ATM which said I didn't have the funds. The Manager asked me to phone the Emergency Line which had crashed - thankfully there was an Irish waitress on hand to explain to him. The App however was accessible to view only. I was able to show I had substantial cleared funds in three accounts but the restaurant staff were very suspicious of me and I was "ringfenced" by three staff who thought I was going to make a run for it.

I rang the Gardai from overseas to see if they had any information on PTSB back in Ireland but they didn't pick up.

The waitress tried registering my cards on Google Pay but they were declined as "inactive".

As a last ditch (before Spanish Police were going to be called on me) the waiter said to try the Wise App and pay to his own personal account. I happened to have a (rarely used) Wise account and this worked - thank God.

Phoned PTSB the next day and they admitted everything including phone lines were down the night before.

I still have flashbacks about what could have been had the Wise App not worked. I now withdraw cash twice a week and use it for largely everything.

It is being discussed in the radio that because the IT is a hotch-potch of some of the earliest ever IT, upon which layers of ever newer elements have been plastered, that there’s legacies of potential incompatibilities ready to surface at any additions, patches, updates and the prediction is we will see ever more of it.

Like the old Irish road direction answer “well I would start from here if I were you”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So if a security glitch meant the door to Brown Thomas was unlocked at night its ok to go in and start stealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

It's theft, plain and simple. Nothing complex about this.

Those who availed of the 'opportunity' should be punished, and made pay back every red cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Presumably Revolut made a nice wee sum on it. They charge a fair bit for ATM withdrawals as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Fair play to every single person who got money from the bank. I hope they get to keep every single cent.

Bank is saying limit of 500 per day was in place so I wouldn’t be believing people who are claiming they got 1000s right now

• Advertisement

Advertisement