Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I would say most banking systems are like this. The stuff that does work has been working for years. Then they add web and app support and access from the general public and by other systems on top. Then it gets more and more convoluted as they try to keep up with the competition and move more and more functions online. And try to make them available all the time. Plus you've got the bad guys continually trying to hack the systems ... so software has to be continually updated and that can lead to more issues ...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A very rare occurrence that all cards you have fail ie credit and debit cards, but a good reminder of the importance of always having a few Bob in cash to hand for such emergencies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Oh little doubt but they can probably hide away and keep the money. And BofI will be able to do SFA about it.

But good luck to them trying to function going forward and using any payment system other than cash. They'll soon be very p**sed off when they can't even order a pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They wont keep a penny. A lot of them are overdrawn now and/or wont have any money - not a penny - until they clear their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Effectively all PTSB Chip and Pin Card Services whether at merchant terminals or ATMs went down and also the App for transactions other than viewing your account balances. Bizarrely and thankfully the Wise App was able to debit the card itself that was already registered but the attempts to register the three cards for Google Pay failed.

Cash is king

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah especially when abroad- you could reason with an Irish restaurant especially if it was an obvious issue for many but I can see a foreign restaurant being somewhat skeptical - I NEVER carry cash these days but I know I should have a couple of hundred stashed safely just in case- I’ll be doing that in future when abroad- nothing like the wrath of a waiter with an unpaid food bill 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Why ?

Fair play to them for taking money that wasn't theirs ?

This crap rots me, take money that isn't yours and then expect to get away with it ? Whinge about the big bad banks when in fact it was themselves who went to the trouble of going to ATM to withdraw money that they didnt have !

The worst thing is that the average joe soap who did nothing will get hit with increased fees down the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The customers credit rating will still be impacted if they just leave liuke that. For the sake of 1k. Ridiculous. Good luck getting a mortgage or a car loan in the next 10 years lads.

Last night really shows how many morons we have in this country.

Or a six pack of dutch gold wha.... 🤣

Love to see the banks get a black eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

I hope they are made pay every penny back, with interest, their accounts closed and their credit rating pulverised.

The ordinary customer will probably end up paying a substantial amount of this money through charges, etc.

TedBundysdriver is a clown of the highest order. No moral compass apparent.

Will somebody please think of the da banks 🤣

You need a PPS number to open a Revolut account, plus ID.

Thinking you can run away from debt is as foolish as thinking you were getting free money from an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Same person would be screaming blue murder if the bank took €10 out of their own account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Course it is. They're literally spending their own money.

You'll have a whole load of young people going on the tear with their "free money" only to have no wages for the next 2-3 weeks.

You should never travel with just one bank’s cards! It’s possible with any bank that you can get a systems glitch like that. It’s not unique to any one institution.

It’s also useful to have a card on Visa and another on MasterCard and always travel with a credit card on stand by, if possible.

Its very possible to end up in a tricky situation if a card is declined and you’ve no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Nothing wrong with cash at all, I like to use it as much as possible. Grand as long as you go visit whoever you want to buy stuff off. But it's not how the modern world works and how the people who exploited this, expect it to work for them.

Sure you can open Revolut account but how do you get funds into it? Send them a bundle of cash in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Stupid attitude. Regardless of what money they make, and I am no fan of them. It does not give the public the right to steal from them.

Two wrongs don't make a right and none of the people who got money yesterday will get away with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I didnt say any of it was ok, if you read my post after this you will see that I said that will be used as their excuse and not that they were "stealing" money they knew they didnt have.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The data will tell a story. In fact it's that easy to get it's already probably on a summarised deck for execs at HQ ready to be transferred to the Guards.

A couple of lads with no consistent income stream who logged into their online banking a couple of days back where the balance was 0 or last attempted withdrawal insufficient funds travelling from town to town yesterday evening withdrawing €1000 sums of money, sums which they had never withdrawn before at ATMs they had never used before shows clear intent.

That money will be getting spent today by many of the tracksuit clad scrotes who queued up to avail of it. They should think twice before they spend it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭jd

Bank Of Ireland may have a limit of 500 euro, but they transferred money to their revolut account and used their revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thread is painful to read with all the people who seem to think that banks give a **** about social welfare payments.

Really lads, you think that bank managers are sitting there looking at every account and making judgements about whether they should let Johnny have his welfare?

Its all just transactions, ones and zeros on a page. The government send a payment to your designated account, but as far as the bank is concerned that money is coming from a sender and they don't give a toss who the sender is. Its just money to them, same as money from anywhere else. And they certainly aren't going to treat it any differently when it comes to paying out.

The doleheads will get their money because the government will send it. And when it lands in a bank account it will stop being dole money and just be regular old "money", subject to the same rules and regulations as all the other money in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...you do realise our whole banking sector has become one big joint theft based sector, yea?

...deliberately doing its utmost to inflate asset prices such as property, deliberately not passing on gains such as rate rises to depositors, deliberately not reducing rates on debtors, all so that it can maximize its financial gains, i.e. profits, share prices etc etc

...oh and of course, when its endeavors go kaboom, they come a running to the same folks theyve been fcuking over, the general public, looking for bail outs!

Whatever your opinion on Banks, you do not have the right to spend money that is not yours.

Its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That cash is the Irish people's money. People who have built up savings & investments. People who work and contribute to society as a whole. Unlike many of the clowns that queued up and seem to want to push the country into the abyss.

Now because of this, for the people who were at home in bed last night, fees may increase to recoup all because of the **** scumbags who felt they had a divine right to this money.

A big problem in this country is that cohort of people. Useless wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Avon8

But it happens on scale every single year in this country. Surely you know of a couple of people that didn't pay their student overdrafts off? There's countless overdrafts and small loans each and every year that are written off. Even something as simple as signing up to Vodafone and getting an iphone, then stopping paying the monthly fee 3 months into the contract is a similar situation

It all goes on the customers credit rating and it comes back to bite them down the road. Its a terrible situation for the majority of people. However there's a portion of people in this country who won't give a toss, or who's credit rating is already in the dirt

Lastly, on opening new bank accounts. Ive worked in banks and seen customers come in with credit ratings of 8, which is basically widescale bankruptcy and as bad as it gets (scale goes from 1A to 8). Unless things have changed recently, these customers weren't denied opening new basic credit accounts for day to day use. It certainly never stopped any of them using Revolut, Skrill, N26 or the hundreds of alternatives out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...fair point, but this is simple human behavior, society is being extremely squeezed at the moment, and its clearly obvious certain entities in our society are getting away with it, and its clearly obvious banks are playing a major role in this, even they themselves are gaining greatly from all of this, so when a major fcuk up happens, humans be humans....

...i woudlnt overly worry about this, we ve given banks the amazing ability of money creation, so much so, they now create the majority of our money supply, and with relative ease to, dont worry, boi will eventually get most of this money back, and more....

...nothing to see here, some are currently having a lot of fun due to this fcuk up, but they ll be paying for it in the long run, nothing to be worrying about at all, boi is safe....

Advertisement