Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rmph

Midleton

I just came across this forum/topic and great posts!

I’m wondering if anyone interested in swap of MVR 2018 ? I’m looking for a 2019, and/or 2021? ( can true up value based on recent auction prices)

I’m Dublin based.

BTW - my go to whiskeys are Spots, Red Breast & recently discovered Tullamore DEW XO Caribbean Rum Cask Finish - fantastic & great value.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've raided my best stuff for a birthday/friend's Stag Weekend. I won't be sharing them with the lads, but they're afraid of anything that isn't Sambuca anyway! 😁

Gold Spot, Dingle Lúnasa, Writer's Tears Japanese oak finish, and Redbreast 27. I'm celebrating some nice publishing news too, so feck it. Might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A little drop of water is really allowing the Blue Spot to shine. That's my go to serve for this whiskey now.

I will never for the life of me figure out why some people flatly refuse to put water in whiskey if they find it too strong!

This is definitely my current favourite whiskey! I'd take it over MVR or Barry Crocket any day!

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm one of those people that pretty much refuse to add water. And I will never for the life of me figure out why either 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rmph

I’m a fan of very small amount of water, e.g. teaspoon for a measure; It’s science based too …do a search on adding small amount of water to whiskey …adding water to your whiskey can work wonders for releasing even more flavour and depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just not water straight from the tap, unless you like chlorine :)

I usually use bottled, sometimes Brita filtered.

A sip of the bottled water tastes extra 'soft' after the whiskey.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Oh, I know. And I've tried it with varying degrees of success but something about it still feels wrong to me. I know it's totally illogical, I just can't shake it 😋

This is no doubt due to years of listening to macho bullshIt and ill informed "experts"!

Yeah, for sure. When I was in my 20s I probably saw water as a sign of weakness. I'm in my 40s now, and don't care about crap like that, but I think the "rule" still lingers for whiskey!

That said, I really like good cask strength whiskey so it's no inconvenience. I think 20yrs of whiskey drinking have destroyed most of my taste buds so I need a serious hit 🤣

Well, if you enjoy your whiskey without water, there's no problem.

My issue is with people who claim certain whiskies are "too strong". Just add some feckin water, so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭adaminho

Myself and @Insect Overlord had a conversation on this at the weekend. I always try a new whiskey neat, add a drop of water and then add a second depending on how it works out (I've sometimes over shot the mark but I'll know in future). Usually if I'm out I'll use a straw like a pipette but if I'm at home I have a lovely Dingle glass dropper I got from an online tasting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What was that 7 year old PX you recommended to us again? It was as nice as anything else I've had this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Would the place come to a shuddering halt if i mentioned that i like ice in my neat whiskey?

I do sometimes, more with mid level Scotch or starter Irish. There's something about the first couple of sips, fire and ice (?) ... but the problem is then the ice starts to melt and it gets too diluted. But worth it for those first sips.

So I sometimes do it with a wee dram or the spirit I will be putting into a cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I find the melting ice gives the ideal excuse for a decent size top up.

That said i would normally try most drops on their own first and then find the ice helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Is the teeling small batch worth a look?

In comparison to similar price range stuff like black barrel, 3 swallows, roe and co, when they're on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I intend to return to the Athletic Arms, maybe twice, so I am back again looking for advice.

Here is a list of possible whiskies to buy. Before, I was advised to go for Speysides, as I don't like peat, although several of you pointed out that many outside Speyside are not too peated.

I like Redbreast: oily, treacle, Christmas cake

Based on the style guides below, I could go for:

• Glenmorangie 10yo
    • Glenfiddich 12yo
    • Jura 10yo

I welcome any comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are so many, it's hard to know what to choose.

I think I will manage maybe eight-ten over two nights, so I have to choose wisely.

I am somewhat price sensitive, that's why I am drawn to the 2.50 / 2.80 list above.

I will pay more, but I would need to be really convinced to go past GBP 5.00.

I think you should try one a night that's a little outside the safety zone, while still avoiding heavily peated.

Something from the Highlands and Islands e.g. Jura, Old Pulteney, Highland Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

If you haven’t tried it before, Glenfarclas 15 is rather nice

In bars spirits are often really warm due to fancy lighting. A cube of ice often corrects this and I like the gradual, small dilution, too.

Sometime a whiskey on the rocks can be nice but it won't showcase any premium whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

On the water thing. I do add a drop sometimes, but very little. It just depends on whter i feel it needs it. I know if opens up more aroma, but for me it just changes the aroma slightly and thats ok. I don't like what it does to the mouthfeel.

For example, the Ardge Corry I have is 58% odd percent and doesn't need water at all, its just gorgeous with no burn. the Uigedal I have is also awesome but definitely needs water.

Cheers, I'll try to call in for another drop before August is out. Love the branded Tuath glass as well - fabulous weight to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭adaminho

Look what just arrived in this afternoon after we talked about it Saturday.

We sell those glasses if you want one.

Am I the only person that really dislikes the Tuath glasses?

I do like Glencairns and I do like malt tasting glasses

I'll happily drink whisky from most wineglasses, too.

I just find Tuaths ugly and overdesigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I have a bunch of them, but never really use them. I didn't like the angled base, but then someone told me it's to allow it to rest on the side, so there's more surface area, to release the smell. Or something.

I mostly use a glass I got from Dublin Liberties Distillery, as I like the size and shape of it. But if tasting a few side by side, I use a few sherry tasting glasses that I got from Midleton, from a job I did for them years go. Perfect size for tasting whiskey.

I prefer my Glencairn glasses over my own Tuath glass for tasting new drams, but I'd usually choose a rocks glass over any of them for most drops. Just found the one in the photo above much nicer than the unbranded one I have at home. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

The thing I don't like about the tuath is the fluted rim. Here's the website description on why:

Smell: Aroma is a very important part of the experience of a whiskey, traditional wide brimmed tumblers cause aromas to diffuse too widely, tulip shaped nosing glasses narrowly concentrate of all the vapours and can cause ethanol to punch into the eyes and nose. The conical shape of the Túath concentrates the vapours while its slightly wider opening and flared top let more of the alcohol vapours flow out, allowing you to nose the centre of the glass without alcohol burn, and the whiskey to express its hidden aromas and flavours.

If the ethanol burns your nose and eyes, leave the glass sit a while. it it still burns you nose and eyes, add some water. If it still burns your nose and eyes, then its shite whiskey. I think overall doing this is detrimental to the experience of nosing a decent whiskey or a even better a big dirty scotch.

I like the teeling stem glasses and my favourite types of glasses were the wee sample port glasses with the longer stems:

My go to is Glencairn just for handiess. I have some of the older ones that i found in the bag of a dusty crystal cupboard in my mums house and they are very heavy, very thick and very robust. You could defintiely drop them on most surfaces and they'd survive. The newer ones are thinner and more fragile but still decent.

Advertisement