Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Eh, I mean you just lash it on the points you think you'll get chafing. Maybe you didnt put on enough?

I've used these for my last two marathons, no issues

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0919YY49W

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I guess Probably not, but the texture of it is very soap like, like literally imagine trying to apply a layer of a bar of soap onto an area, so not really something you can just apply tonnes of like Vaseline. I guess I'll just have to try apply more!

Cheers, I'll pick them up and see how they work out.

Ah I have used BG before (and still do on me legs & arms). I lash loads of it on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭token56

I had been having terrible issues with chaffing in particular my nipples when I started to increase the distances a while ago. I was recommended Sports Shields (https://therunhub.ie/products/2toms-sports-shield) and it has done a fantastic job. Only gone up to 2 hours so far but even with rain etc is does an excellent job for me and doesn't ruin clothes like vaseline can.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭TheRef

I have been using these cheaper versions the last few months and not a bother: https://amzn.eu/d/2ViMtTy

I'll buy them again when needed.

Although, a couple of times they have come off, but I think that was when I was taking off my shirt. I use Bodyglide for rest of body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Kinsology tape does the trick for me and I reckon far cheaper than above.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I get that occasionally but not always, I just stick two plasters on :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So Garmin are telling me I've reached the max distance on my Gel Kayanos, 644k how much credence should I be giving this?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

How do your knees and feet feel? That's the real indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Throw them in the bin immediately 😉

That's just a very arbitrary default mileage setting on Garmin afaik that could vary wildly depending on the shoe and the individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Then keep at it. I have my strava set to notify me when I get 400 miles in a pair of runners. But that's to prepare me I might need new ones. My knees tell me when they actually need to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Mr321

Any recommendations for a runner or running insole to suit a flat foot/weak arch.

I use an insole support on my day to day shoe but wouldn't be useful when running.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Aurelian

I'm about to give up on running! I've gone from close to breaking the magic 20 min 5k and comfortably doing 10k + runs to having to stop after 2k lame and walk back!

Getting no joy from physios. Maybe my body is just telling me running is not for me? I had surgery for this issue previously.

Is something like an fce scan worth a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

What seems to be the main issue . It might help to give you a better answer

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Not a question but a warning. My finger currently looks like this* after I fell while running at night with a torch in my hand, and I'm looking forward to several weeks in a splint. I'll be sticking to head/chest torches in future, and hopefully at least one of you will learn from my mistake.

* Not my photo.

Dust it off you'll be grand, at least you're not a footballer or you'd be off training for 2 months 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Aurelian

My hip pretty much area pretty much siezes up during a run, it can extend into my groin and down to my hip. Also with a feeling of tightness in the hip flexor. More of an issue during the run rather than after.

With out trying to get to personal, what was the operation for, and what if any benefit did you get from it. Feel free to pm me if you'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

I was going to start a new discussion but thought I'd ask in here first, can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin to get a vo2 max test?

I've searched on Google and there seems to be a few options but thought the good people on here might have a favourite one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Had a V02 with Sean Kinane a few years back, 2018 I think. Found him good, very informative, and he sits down and goes through the results with you after and what the potential is with those results. Great if you're going to train by zone.

Relevance can be short lived though, results obviously linked to your level of fitness at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RickNally

The Beacon Hospital in Sandyford have a dedicated sport lab that's supposed to be very good. I haven't been personally but a few of the guys I used to run with would use it annually as part of their preseason prep to get paces, lactates, and baseline readings: https://www.beaconhospital.ie/department-service/sports-lab/

Something I did a good few times while running in college was to check out the post grad studies. A lot of the sports science based ones look for trained athletes to participate in the study and provide free testing as an incentive. Obviously you'd have to get lucky with the thesis topic and some are looking for bigger time commitments or more strenuous testing requirements. But I did multiple testing sessions where they were just checking the effects of different supplements on performance. I went into the UCD lab early two morning over 2 weeks, drank a sports supplement and then completed a Vo2 max test. Essentially giving me several hundred euro worth of testing and analysis for free.

UCD and DCU have the biggest sport science departments and are usually always looking for active participants for studies. Just an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RickNally

There could always be something bigger at play and it's hard to diagnose these kind of issues over the internet (I am also not a doctor nor a physio so I won't be giving out any diagnoses 😆). But I've often found that the simplest solution can be the most effective. Do you do any kind of a warm-up before heading out on your runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

+1 for The Beacon. Equipment is state of the art.

Chris Simpson, if he's still there, is a wonderful guy.

You'll get a ton of different metrics. LT HR was important for me at the time.

Measuring what % of your Vo2max you're at at LT is a really strong indicator of your potential as an athlete too, and he goes through all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Does anyone have any solutions for a very tight hamstring? I've been doing rehab work for my knees in recent months and while they have improved greatly, my right hamstring is getting worse and nearly ceased up on a run yesterday. I've tried stretching it but it makes zero difference. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Are you having pain? Maybe not really answering your question but I got some Physio recently and he focussed on strenghtening the hamstring initially over 6-8 weeks until I was no longer having pain. And then getting into the habit of warming it up properly during my my warm-up. So (when I think of it) I stop after about 4-5 mins and do a few warm up drills - leg swings and single leg rdls - to warm up the hamstring before I get stuck into my run. I don't stretch and to be honest the physio I saw didn't give me the impression that I should be! He said tight hamstrings are normal for runners and when you combine it with the desk job it's a given.

@Ceepo helped me out a couple of years ago with some simple movement videos, although I didn't find them simple at first 😅

He put up a thread with loads of videos, I tried finding it for you but can't seem to

That's them but there was another video I had in mind, it must have been from our consultation. It was starting in a lunge position and I had to pop up in the middle and extend as far as I could, using my feet to assist the pop up but them staying rooted in position.

Couldn't do it at first but constant repetition and then over time my hamstring/knee improved.

• Advertisement

I think this might be the one that you're talking about. It actually looks very simple, but it's bit harder in reality to get right.

The idea is to try keep the hips and spine neutral throughout the movement, while activating the glute/hamstring on the "front leg" to stand up, (if you lean to far forward you will feel more of the quad muscles activation). Returning to the starting position you should feel glute and hamstring on (front leg) one side while contracting the hip flexor on the other side. People with tight hip flexor muscles will always struggle a bit more doing this.

As a suggestion for anyone trying this, if you can do it in front of a mirror, you will be better able to see what is happening.

Advertisement