Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s very much true:

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0114/1005247-voter-turnout-elections-ireland/

It’s not just in Ireland either, it’s been observed in other countries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There's not much difference and definitely not enough to proclaim middle class voters decide elections.

There's plenty of votes to be had from all demographics which is why politicians try and pander to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

There IS much difference, and I’ve demonstrated it with an article about voting patterns at a national level written in 2020 by Adrian Kavanagh, whereas your article indicates a narrowing gap in Dublin in voting in 2016 using Adrian Kavanaghs writing as it’s source, more to make the point about social mobility than voting patterns by social class.

It’s how parties representative of the middle classes are elected in sufficient numbers to form a government, whereas parties which claim to represent the interests of people living in poverty and deprivation aren’t even at the races.

In terms of numbers the middle class represents a much larger and more influential voting bloc than the class of people living in poverty and deprivation who can’t be arsed to vote. The closing of the gap in Dublin is more down to the fact that the middle class are becoming less interested in voting as the wealth gap grows and they find themselves on the wrong side of that gap. That’s what motivated the SF ‘protest vote’.

It’s what’s motivating the greater focus in the media on crime of late, to push it up the political agenda, seeing as the public appetite for news about immigrants has waned considerably. Give it another couple of weeks and there won’t be so much as a peep about crime in DCC. There will still be the same levels of crime, poverty and social deprivation in Dublin, it’s just the middle class will have gone back to being disinterested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

This was the latest?

Attack using golf clubs?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Working class and middle classes both pay taxes and both vote for the main parties in various forms.

You appear to be talking about homeless junkies not voting. Which is hardly surprising.

Nobody is arguing about working class and middle classes paying taxes, my initial point referred to middle class specifically, which, depending upon your point of view, are also working class given that what defines them as such is that they have to work to generate wealth, whereas upper class do not have to work to generate wealth, and the class below working class are those people living in poverty and deprivation who have no means at all to generate wealth.

I’m not talking about junkies or homeless, they’re found in every class - just a better class of junkies and homeless in each class. I’m talking about people living in poverty and deprivation, a social class which doesn’t bother to vote because they have no confidence in the political process to improve their living conditions. Middle class on the other hand, influence social policy to a far greater degree because they are more educated, more politically engaged, and have greater access than people living in poverty and deprivation to education, employment, housing, healthcare, etc.

That’s all paid for by public funding, which is why it’s always just irritating to hear people who are middle class banging on about how they are being ignored by Government and all the rest of it when they are the class which benefits the most from Governments social policies and social supports such as the provisions for free primary and secondary education. It’s why I suggest they imagine if they had to pay for it, and how it would be considerably more expensive than the amount spent on unemployment benefits and other social transfers.

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/statisticsexplained/nationalaccountsexplained/socialtransfers/

That explains why people living in poverty and deprivation who are also engaged in antisocial behaviour and criminal activity are just more visible in Irish society than the middle class who are engaged in antisocial behaviour and criminal activity - people tend to turn a blind eye to the bad behaviour of those people whom they are more closely affiliated with, and are very handy at pointing fingers and identifying who, according to them are the ‘real’ problem, and if it were not for those people, their lives would be so much better. It’s not true though. Their lives wouldn’t be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Other places have violence - ergo we should let poxy little teenage scum do whatever they want

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

I didnt express any broad anaylsis of my own, only to say that social welfare system is generous. Which it is, when compared to counterparts.

Agreed that if long term unemployed parents had some fornal education that would help and that perhaps that would instill some parental investment in their childrens education.

Everyone wants the social welfare class to break the cycle, of course. But I am not sure a bit of adult education is going to be enough.

And thats my point. How do we actually change things?

What you are suggesting is a positive step, sure. But its not enough.

• Advertisement

I didn’t express any broad an analysis of my own either, only that our social welfare system is far from generous, it’s shìt.

But your more pertinent question was around the idea of breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty, and that’s how it’s done, that’s how to change things - first, break the cycle, then continue development in order that in the future people are less likely to be dependent upon welfare.

It’s not just people living in poverty are in receipt on welfare btw, the vast majority of the middle classes are also in receipt of welfare in the form of child benefit as a more direct benefit, and education, healthcare and housing as secondary benefits. They’re just not as dependent on welfare as people living in poverty, which is why initial steps don’t have to be enough, they just have to be enough to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty.

Breaking the cycle is a good thing, I agree. But evening classes for the social masses isnt going to be enough, realistically.

Step in the right direction? sure. But its not enough.

Our social welfare payments are high. If youre in Dublin and on the dole and your accom is paid for, you're pulling in the equivalent of easily over 3k a month after tax.

2000 for rent plus 900 job seekers allowance, plus free medical cards/visits.

I thought we weren’t doing a deep dive analysis? For what it’s worth though, your analysis is a bit shìt, for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that tenants in social housing never have their rent paid into their hand, it goes the other way, or at least it should, if a social housing tenant is keeping to their rent agreement:

The average weekly rent charge is €72.54 across the Council's 25,159 tenancies. A report due to be presented to DCC's Finance Committee states that just under a third of all these tenancies - 8,050 - are in rent arrear.

And 51 tenants owe more than €27,000 each, while a further 136 owe between €19,000 and €27,000. Another 589 households have rent arrears of between €11,000 and €19,000.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/almost-40-million-owed-dublin-25524294?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

So far as just breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty goes, I didn’t just mention a couple of evening classes to be fair, I offered a couple of suggestions, which are never likely to be implemented by Government as it’s not in their interests to do so, because the majority of people who do actually vote, aren’t interested in the welfare of those who are eligible to vote, but don’t.

Whether its paid into their hands or not is irrelevant. The rental cost of the property is still covered by the tax payer, so it is still free money for the person on the dole.

What was the other suggestion outside of adult education? I missed that one.

No, it’s very much relevant because it’s the difference between income which they pay tax on, like unemployment benefit for example, and social assistance, which is not income, and therefore nobody pays tax on it. You’re trying to portray it as income which a person receives directly from the tax payer when that’s simply not the case, nor is it free money for the person on the dole.

By your logic, the person on the dole paid for my child’s education, and I paid for the education of my work colleagues six children. It’s a good thing on his salary they don’t need the child benefit, but he’s paying more income tax than I do even though I earn more than he does. I suggested one time it was about time he put a ring on his girlfriends finger… he recoiled in horror at the notion of marriage 😂

Anyways, the other suggestions are contained within this post:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

This country is quickly going down the swanny.

We have a minister who is encouraging people to come here.

We don't have enough gards to police the people here as it is.

Then we have a minister who is pushing a law that will have guards spending time pandering to attention seekers who get offended at everything.

Why would anyone want to become a guard.

This is without a doubt the most incompetent government in our history, if this was France then people would be on the streets.

I can only imagine what this place will be like in 5 or 10 years.

Incompetent McEntee retweeted this, as if to suggest we've done all we need to do -- now #DublinisSafe.

Whilst it's always good to see figures like this, it wouldn't surprise me if the number of patrols, searches, and arrests actually needed far surpasses these numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The golf club adds a certain whiff of white collar to the crime. Meanwhile, their role models spent last night queueing for "free money".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

Typical “no facilities” waffle.

so what’s his answer then? Always short on specifics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Guards on bikes is not the optics to send to the scrotes.

The Government really don't understand the issue. Them lads will be laughed at and bullied out of a job.

They'll probably get their bikes robbed!

Major facepalm🤦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Bikes are ideal for the city centre, can go anywhere on them.

Police across the world use them but you know better sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I most certainly do know better. Bikes are a great idea but we are a couple of steps before that.

Increase in some fit burly Guards on foot for a start with a very visible presence maintained at strategic points to direct the on foot patrols in parallel with a legal system review

Can see a couple of them Guards being laughed at as their bikes are fired into the Liffey and the bikes gradually disappearing off the streets leaving us back to square one.

€10 million wasted on an optics solution that doesn't get to the root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they've been using bikes for years in Dublin and I've yet to hear of any being thrown into our waterways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

Was it a couple of years ago that Dublin City Council published pictures of people dumping rubbish and it slowed down dramatically due to name and shame?

Why not make a provision in law, that if a person is 14 and older and commits a violent assault or violent crime, that they're old enough to be named and have their picture distributed to the media, said information uploaded to a website run by the Gardaí/Courts that makes the public aware of who they are and what they've done, and force them to undergo 1000 hours of community service (10 hours every Saturday/Sunday for one year ) within their local area and release said information.

There's something to be said for naming and shaming.

Or bring back the stocks.

Because one thing is certain, that the younger people doing these assaults have zero humility. So give them some.

you really think these kids would give a f*ck if they were named and shamed? they'd probably take it as an ego boost. have you ever met an angry inner city youth in dublin? they're a different breed.

also, good luck trying to get them to do any kind of community service, what if they just outright refuse? beatings? some of you live in a fantasy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think nowadays most people dont even bother to report crimes in Dublin.

Sure if you could find a garda they couldnt even be bothered to walk around the corner even if you told them comeone was getting mugged there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well you do seem a bit glib or you'e honstly missing the point. If the West End of London is the equivlant of Dublin CC I can tell you that I never in many years seen the types of people you see in and around O'Connell St there. The dogey areas would be way outside of that district where tourists and visitors would have no reason to visit. You'd see the odd homeless person after dark but not by day. Pickpocets would be an issue but they were often professionsal ones well dressed. I'm say crime rates in London are proproportialy higher than Dublin overall but the West End of London is famously heavily policed with CCTV cameras everywere.

I see no reason at all why a no loitering policy withing a squale mile area could not be introduced in the CC, treating it as a protected area. Start with the groups say sitting on the borardwalk or loitering outside shops. It would be piss easy to identify the skangers, by the way they dress, by the way they sound, by their accent, by their behaviour. Oh wait a mintue, no can't do that, that would be targeting a demopraphic, computer says no.

And yes I do care, I like Dublin, I like citties, I particualry like to walk all over the place when I visit them, rather than going into buildings, musems and that. Unless the building in a pub or nightclub. Walking in the countryside looking at nettles and biodiverstiy doesn't rock my boat. So yeah I want to have plesant expreince when I'm in a city, it's why I'd be there the first place. And whatever reason the skangers are in the city it's not the same reason as my reason.

what's the point in even saying this bullsh*t?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

What's the point in hanging around all day criticising everyone else's posts? Let's just keep giving them more facilities and hope the future completely surprises us all instead. Would love to hear your solution which does not involve doing the same thing we have been doing and expecting different results? Some folks just need a hiding.

• Advertisement

yes, facilities, more role models, therapy, all these things could help, or maybe they wont, but you know 100% we're never going to start state sanctioned beatings of children, so what's the f*cking point in all of you banging on about this stuff? at least the bleeding heart liberals ideas have some tiny grasp of reality of things that might actually happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement