Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

My last reply to you as you’ve well fed now;

‘he is being punished now for a poor management decision’ ….yes and one that he was fully complicit in.

And once more with feeling, there are no offers from anywhere , if there were we would have heard about them , this isn’t MI5 we are taking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Well we all heard about the meetings. They will solidify into offers if RTE aren't careful and next thing Ryan will be gone. And if RTE think there is a backlash now they'll know all about it if they allow that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Great, I'm very glad for Ryan. He needs to open a new chapter in his career, somewhere else. Best for him, best for RTE and best for us long suffering listeners and licence payers.

He misrepresented himself as taking cuts when he didn't and deceived us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

They are also unlikely to attract a show sponsor if he comes back which would make his return even more questionable.

Is Tubridy's return going to make up the 900,000 weekly shortfall in licence fee revenue? Not even close. He might bring in 10-20k extra a week but much of that will go on his inflated salary.

It would be an insane decision by Bakhurst to bring the face of the RTE scandal back, the beginning of the end of the organisation and could lead to hundreds laid off all so the golden boy can have his slot back which he clearly thinks he owns and is his birthright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

He turned down 120k and asked for 345k instead. What a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

….

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

RTE really have fouled this up.

I hope we get a Tubridy-free radio schedule in the Autumn - I've never thought he was good on radio - too intellectually lazy and smug and the constant soliciting of presents got me down, but the problem is more RTE insisting on sticking with formulas - Gay Byrne did the LL Show and a morning radio show, and back in the 70s and 80s that was good formula and worked.

They foolishly stuck with the same arrangement with Pat Kenny, and should have done a rethink then - but rather than learning, they repeated it with Tubridy. It's long past time that they gave us something slightly interesting in that 'between the news shows' slot - they could do quite a lot using their existing evening and weekend shows. And don't name it the 'RTE big name show'. Something content not ego centred please.

This is their opportunity to improve their radio offering without using ridiculously overpaid chatterers. I usually have radio chugging along in the background, but if Tubridy comes back I'll be switching to Lyric or Newstalk and 9.00 each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What a nauseating statement he's just released.......🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dee should be forced to face PAC by now

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

Knowing RTE , they will take the easy option and allow him back on Air.

it will never be the same though, probably last a few months before he gives it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Saint Tubridy the Martyr....treated so brutally by RTE....sullying the most trusted man in Ireland.....

Poor Ryan....

Why the fùck does he still want to work for them so badly?

Because its the cushiest number going for a disgustingly overinflated fee.....and he knows he wouldnt have a chance in hell of getting anything close to it anywhere else.

Bakhurst needs to wise up and bin Tubridy ASAP or he can kiss goodbye to more Licence fee payers.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

RTE news reporting the drop in license fee paying is a big loud signal that the newsroom people want rid, and since they've done it repeatedly I think that means management do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Seemly still loved by all the people of Ireland.

Pull on the green jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I thought the execs would stop the weekly reporting of license fee revenue losses. It's a constant reminder. Mine is due in Sept.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Does the deluded Tubridy really think the Irish people want him back sucking on the tit of RTE for ever more?

Just because he gets a few fake cards from grannies and children sent to him from NKM....

The real opinion from Irish people on Tubridy can be seen from the plummeting Licence fee figures.....

If Tubridy had an ounce of dignity, he would have walked long ago....

Instead Bakhurst will have to get him out of there kicking and screaming....

Pathetic.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Good to see that Tubs has been cleared of any perceived wrongdoing as a result of this report.

Should be back on the radio soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It was in his contract that he was to be paid for those gigs. It wasn't Tub's fault that Renault didn't renew the gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am not sure why GT are holding back on the blame game. They must have been instructed to do so. Plausible indeed.

It's mighty that this story is as active as ever while we approach end of summer. The Oireachtas will have many more hard questions in September!

Tubs statement was pathetic. Part of me wants him back - it would be fascinating. I could see RTE workers out on strike if he returns.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Grant Thornton probably don't want to apportion blame because this saga could yet end up before the courts.

I find it strange that when they talk about 'facts', they say those 'facts' are based on the balance of probabilities. So not exactly 'facts' then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

It's an awful shame both the Indo and IT have closed down the comments. Tubs would be lacerated. I used always enjoy reading them when the RTE Payments list was published.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The GT report terms was not to apply any blame or wrongdoing

No explanation in the GT report as to WHY RTÉ fiddled his figures for 2017-19 and still no explanation from Tubridy's statement today as to why he didn't raise this major discrepancy. Until these critical facts are cleared up he is cleared of absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

He doesn't care if we want him back. Seems like he's willing to sink RTE, so that he can continue drawing from them. I'll never again pay my licence fee or watch/listen to RTE, if they allow him back. They should just pay him whatever he's due until the end of his contract and be finished with him. He spent all those years threatening RTE that he'd leave, well now is his big chance. Really wish that he'd show some decency for once. Every single thing he does is a PR move.

Post edited by hawley on

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Just reading his statement and his "commitment to re-establishing the confidence and trust of my colleagues and listeners"

Jesus, he so false. The one thing I am sure of is that there won't be any re-establishment of anything, I would think he is probably going to have to be segregated from most of the employees of RTE. He works with a particular production team which I would assume is handpicked.

I would think revenue from the licence fee will continue to drop off and after an initial VERY SHORT curiosity spike, so will the JNLR figures for his radio show. BTW I have heard ABC, CBS, NBC and even Fox News are looking for someone to clean toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, just remember apart from the rest of it "don't even ask me to take another pay cut".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Seamus Dooley speaking for the unions, sounded very far from convinced by this mornings supposed explanation of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

1hour radio per day = 250,000 euro per Yr of tax payers money

Jog along Mr Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pressure-now-on-rte-to-publish-pay-report-as-review-shows-it-ignored-own-payroll-to-understate-tubridys-salary/a922434576.html

Grant Thornton pointing out the 'bleeding obvious': RTE asking Renault to pay RT €150,000 after providing them this same exact amount in credit notes is, from an accounting POV, RTE paying RT €150,000.

Looking forward to the report pointing out some more of the 'bleeding obvious': given that this amount also exactly matched the paycut and that NK asked for RTE guarantees, both NK and RT were fully aware that RTE were effectively making the payment themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Face it folks, we are going to have to accept Tubs back in rte.

It looks like it's a done deal. The pr machine is in full flow, and we should be damn glad we are getting him back, well so NKM are telling us anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement