Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Are the people that go to Leinster matches really from such a restricted strip of Dublin though?

I guess that's where most of the schools are, but I know a good few people who travel over from Tallaght, Crumlin, Templeogue, etc. Heck, even the midlands.

For whom it's 90min-2hrs each way every week, and not just a handful of fixtures a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It isnt really that much and there is many people who do that all the time in other provinces to get to games as well as leinster fans. if dubs arent willing to do that then it doesnt say much about their support then...

i dont see it happening anyway. leinster will just play reduced crowds in rds and move games as necessary to aviva but

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Coming from Kildare to the RDS or Lansdowne, takes me about an hour if I drive in and a ten minute walk, but public transport would be a good bit longer, say 90 minutes or so (three trip segments, train luas dart or bus, luas, dart or either, luas, walk). Tallaght would be considerably easier for me driving. Public transport, probably the same ~90 minutes or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭ersatz

There’s a lot of people on that side of Dublin and surrounding areas who would go to a match in Tallaght who might not bother with a trip to the RDS. A few games in there would bring a new cohort of fans in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ravenhill was redeveloped and they still played rugby there. And there is much less space for them to work with I reckon.

The Anglesea stand is ~5000 capacity reducing the total capacity of the RDS to 12000 approx.

Outside interpros and Europe we're going to be playing games in the RDS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's very true but I would say it's not worth the gamble of losing the revenue from a lot of STHs for one season as its a fairly significant relocation.

How many season ticket holders wouldnt go if games were in tallaght? If theyre not willing to go to games about 15k from where leinster normally play, in venue still in the city etc then it doesnt say much about theyre support IMO especially with game well connected to public transport. the move could help bring some fans to rugby that havent ever looked at the sport before. if a few games played there helped get rugby more traction in that area it could be huge for leinster long term with the population of that area and lack of interest in rugby. this could change that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PMC83

The RDS is a great spot and has lovely bars around it but I think a few people on here have a slightly blinkered view as to it's accessibility and where Leinsters 'traditional support base' hang their hats at the end of the day. If you are on the outskirts of either south or north Dublin its a pain in the backside to get to. It's a bus into town and then a walk from the city center out to ballsbridge.

I absolutely agree that a move to Tallaght for a year would do wonders for the support base. Tallaght has ample parking and is just off the motor way. Numerous buses and a tram go there. Way better option then a dull year in the Aivia, which would be a wasted opportunity to grow the game outside the usual areas and get new fans in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭ersatz

I don’t personally know more than a handful of ST holders as I don’t live in Ireland or get to many games but I assume the ppl who buy tickets are big supporters of the club and pony up as much for that as to get to games. I’d expect them to support efforts to broaden the support base and have occasional matches that would enable that.

and it’s not such a trek. You’d be in Tallaght by car in 25 minutes from D4/6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I can't tell you how many would or wouldn't go but as Leinster make a significant portion of their revenue from STH sales, there is an inherent risk that moving the stadium for a year to an area that a lot of fans may not be interested in travelling to week in, week out will lead to them potentially suspending their season ticket memberships for the year and thus outweighing the overall benefit of new fans that may or may not turn up in Tallaght. Bear in mind that having it in a smaller stadium means you're already carving out some STHs, and then moving it further afield may lose more.

If it comes down to 'we have 12.5k STHs' whom we know will more likely than not continue to come to the Aviva' v 'lets reduce our STH income significantly for a year and hope to grow the fanbase with an inherent risk that we lose a lot of income, particularly given that we'll need to rent a new venue rather than use the one we have', I know what option I'd go for from a purely financial position (which is what it will probably come down to).

"It doesn't say much about their support" is such a silly statement to make. There are people who may work in parts of Dublin (or elsewhere in Ireland) where they couldn't feasibly make a 7.35pm kick-off in Tallaght on a Friday night. There may be parents who currently walk or get a short bus journey to games with their kids who don't fancy adding a 90 minute round trip to that experience. There may be older fans who wouldn't be able for a longer trek than they currently make to make it out to Tallaght. You've absolutely no idea. Of course there are fans who may just 'simply not be bothered' but to say that it doesn't say much about their support is incredibly reductive.

I should say that I'm not disagreeing that growing the fan base is important and that having some games in Tallaght or elsewhere would be great, it just doesn't make sense financially to move the home ground there for a year, and it won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

A four hour commute on a Friday evening to watch a game against Zebre is not something many fans of any team will do, I'd wager. Justifiably.

There are no statistics on the home addresses of ST holders published that I'm aware of (understandably!), but a good publicly available metric that would compare reasonably well I'd guess is probably the origin of the actual Leinster players. Of the 42 players in the senior squad currently only 6 attended schools in Leinster but not in the traditional SoCoDu/D4/DART line catchment area.

A full 10 players attended St Michaels in the heart of D4, alone, for comparison.

I'd say 20%-ish of ST holders coming from 'non traditional areas' is reasonably accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PMC83

I'm not sure you can really come up with a accurate statistic on where supporters are from based off where the players are from. I enjoy pushing the boat out as much as the next lad, but your in danger of reaching Hollyhead there.

I'm open to hearing a better way of trying to assess it, with a different result? That was just the first that came to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They're not going to go out to Tallaght and pay rent for a year

Yes Leinster do make lots from ST holders but to suggest many wouldnt because of a move of 13 or so KM doesnt say much for many fans especially when its still in city. easily accesible by public transport and would help many others coming from beyond the city of which there is thousands at each home game.

I know this isnt going to happen. When the redevelopment happens the games will be in a reduced RDS or more likely the Aviva but its a missed opportunity IMO to try bring more games to newer areas. Leinster have done some good in areas of Dublin where rugby was non existent but playing some pro games could be a real chance to tap into areas with huge populations that could have a long term benefit for the province. A move to say tallaght wouldnt dis enfranchise many fans to point they wouldnt support leinster again,

There is many fans who come up to games from all over the province and a game in tallaght is far easier and accesible on a friday night then trying to get into the city centre

Where are you getting a 4 hour commute from?

The origin of the players isnt true reflection of the ST holders at all or people attending games.

Its a 90-120min journey, across two forms of public transportation, to Tallaght stadium from the more traditional Leinster areas along the DART line where most of the ST holders would be commuting from.

If you don't think the geographical origins of the players on the team roughly reflect the likely geographical origins of the team's fans then what measureable dataset would you use instead, and what alternative interpretation does it suggest?

Look at the numbers playing the game across the province and supporting clubs across the province. who support the pro team. thats far more of a better measurable dataset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know quite a few season ticket holders and off the top of my head most are not living along the dart line or even went to one of the big rugby schools.

Tallaght stadium is nicely between Tallaght, Clondalkin and Rathfarnham rugby clubs.

RDS is definitely easier to get to for most due to its central enough location but Tallaght is hardly difficult to get to especially for a non Friday night game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

But would you want to travel the Red Line on a Friday night? I used to travel it for work a few years back and it was bad enough during the day. No way would I want to go on it on a weekend night.

Unless its improved a lot in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

A bit biased myself living in clondalkin but I don't see the harm in it, been a Leinster fan through and through for years above even supporting Ireland, but my one gripe is the support base.

Moving the games to Tallaght, Navan, Portlaois or any other significant town in the Provence can only be a good thing. Revenue next season when the Angelsea is out of action is going to be down regardless. I'd rather Leinster took the bolder and potentially more lucrative offer in the long run and got some bums on seats that might never have come without it.

Leinster are the most successful professional sporting outfit on this island their support base could bare to show that a bit more. I've been to league of Ireland matches with barley 5000 people that packed Leinster games pale in comparison too in terms of atmosphere and crowd participation in getting behind their team. Maybe more supporters from outside Leinster's southside coastal Dublin axsis is exactly what's needed to improve that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seems a bit of a circular argument. If the team moved to Tallaght for a season then surely a lot more people in the area would be inclined to buy season tickets.

There's some weird sense of entitlement coming off some posts. Leinster is a team that represents people of 12 counties. It's not just the local side of people from DR that everyone else in the province is allowed to follow.

When you see the expense and effort people have to go to in order to watch their (hurling, football, whatever) team play in Dublin, complaining about having to cross the city for a match just sounds really spoiled.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If the colour in this post is anything to go buy I'm glad the alternative is not the European kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

Why buy a white kit that might get dirty, when you can buy a white kit that already looks dirty? 🤪

I can't be the only one thinking it so I'm just going to say.....

.... Where the **** is Tallaght?

From Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/15tis2x/castore_rugby_gear/

Screengrabbed from Leinsters tweet this morning.

The stars are visibly peeling off 😂

I haven't gotten my hands on a jersey yet to test the quality so we will have to see.

I like the design of the jersey personally. But I don't think I'd be buying a white one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

STH survey received by email today, asks where you live. I know that historically LR didn't have even that data as often multiple STs can be tied to one account and it's that person who might live in Dublin but the others don't that can distort the data.

Same for what gender are STHs.

Strangely the survey still talked about an official retail partner even there is no longer one. Also refered to the old OLSC bar even though that's closed and is now in the barn. Looked like it was written last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

A 'Tarf prop signed up with Ulster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Yep. Ben griffin.

Clontarf losing a load of props to pro game. Irish 20's lad gone to Munster, vakh gone to France, Ben to ulster. Two tight heads and a loose head

Advertisement