Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

British Rowing forced to come to their senses after they polled their 30,000 members and got a 80%+ majority vote. Looks like those NGO's are going to need to be paid double-overtime to generate more of their academic research proving we're all wrong. Only then can FFG continue to declare they're committed to - all together now - "protecting the most vulnerable in our society", LOL! 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rowing/2023/08/02/british-rowing-transgender-athletes-womens-sport/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

The 80% is the most significant aspect of that, and shows where this is all going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

The "Mother lode" British rowing anouncment can be found here.

Yest again it appears well thought out, with the primary emphasis being on fairness accross the board, but whilst also trying to being as inclusive as possible.

One thing to note about that 80% figure is that was 80% in favour of the the tightest definition of the Female category. There were two other less tight options, not just one. So it's an even more overwheleming vote than the headline fgiure appears.

I wonder how long before the lies start about Transgender athletes being banned from rowing, when it couldn't be more obvious that they can compete freely in the Open category (With the usual anti-doping restrictions applying). Good to see 100% consitency as well, with the rules being applied no differently to mixed categories (unlike the farcical rules one of their American counterparts came up with)

I've no idea why you feel the need to bring FFG into this. They have not interefered in any way with sports categories. I'm not aware of them expressing any officiaal policy opinion on the matter. Thank God we're free of the American style policial interence in sports sex categories as part of a pathetic "culture war". Please try not to do it here. It's not good for any athletes, who just become tools to be used as weapons against "the other side".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Can't believe this thread is still going with that misleading title. If a Transman was competing in this that would be a Woman that transitioned to be a man but I gather the way everyone here is talking that it was a man that transitioned to be a Women.

I disagree with a lot of what has being said in here. I think as long as she is at least a year on hormones she should be allowed to compete as any advantages she had is gone by then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The advantages are not gone after a year on hormone therapy. Therapy doesn't reduce lung capacity, height, limb length and joint strength, heart size.

That is an incredibly reductionist way of looking at it. Bears repeating, once a male goes through puberty, the physiological advantages are baked in.

• Advertisement

I disagree with a lot of what has being said in here. I think as long as she is at least a year on hormones she should be allowed to compete as any advantages she had is gone by then.

If you've been reading this thread then you should be aware (from links posted in the last week) that current scientific opinion is that hormone treatment is not enough to suppress the sports performance advantages conferred on anyone who has been through male puberty. You're very much entitled to your opinion that Transwomen should be entitled to compete in the female sex category. however you're incorrect to assert or imply that that opinion has current scientific backing it up. That's exactly why we have a continuing sequence of sports governing bodies restricting eligibilty to the female sex category to, at minimum, people who have not been through male puberty, and more commonly, people identified as being female sex at birth, and excluding all others from that category.

Ms

No I have not being reading it of late. That us why I said I was surprised it was still going. There is also a lot of evidence to suggest otherwise.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

and I've no idea how you can separate out FFG's glorious Modern Ireland project from this :-)

Here are two links from this thread that show the current scientific thinking that there is way more than hormones involved in conferring male-sex athletes a performance physical performance advantage over female-sex athletes. Here for one which summarises the science behind why the UCI decided that hormone suppression was not enough to allow transwomen to fairly compete in the female sex category, and here for a running-related one which shows the multiplicity of factors involved, not just hormones.

I'm going to put much much more weight behind those than your assertion that hormone treatment is justification for allowing transwomen to compete in the female sex category. Feel free to counter with any evidence you're using to come to your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What are you basing this thought process on or is it just believing something because you want it to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You can do what you want with testosterone levels secondary sex characteristics are irreversible.

It's not that complicated and there is firm scientific consensus.

You might post whatever evidence you have to the contrary rather than just your opinion.

You think if a male takes medication which lowers his athletic performance (so he can no longer compete against elite males), he should be allowed to enter womens categories.

This is extremely denigrating to women*. You are saying that it is more important for the medicated & underperforming male to have a chance of winning, than it is for women* to have a category that belongs exclusively to them.

* real women

Ms

You think if a male takes medication which lowers his athletic performance (so he can no longer compete against elite males), he should be allowed to enter womens categories.

That is extremely denigrating

She/he is not taking medication so they can no longer compete against males. They are taking it because it becomes it helps them become the person they always should have been.

That is extremely denigrating to Women.

I disagree. As when a Transwomen has SRS/GRS surgery and has been on Estrogen for a year or more then their testosterone is hugely reduced and now at the same level as a CIS Womens so any advantage is lost.

You are saying that it is more important for the medicated & underperforming male to have a chance of winning, than it is for women* to have a category that belongs exclusively to them.

No I am not as it is not male that is competing but a female.

Women still have a category that belongs exclusively to them and this person is and always has been a woman too so her competing in it should not make any difference.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Everything you said can be discredited immediately.

Male and female are not feelings, or identities, they're biological sex classes.

Nobody can change sex.

DSDs and intersex conditions are variations of the two sex classes, but are not a third sex, just in case you try to counter with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

@Large bottle small glass

Found that paper, The Biology of Sex and Sport. More and more citations to read.

Did you bother reading the links I provided in repsonse to your post today which provide scientific evidence that what you are saying is plain wrong?

Please provide eividence that Hormone therapy which some (and only some) Transwomen undertake eliminates all the athletic performance advantages over female sex athletes as a result of going through Male puberty. Evidence has been provided to show that this is not the case. Apart from you saying so, do you have any actual evidence to support your assertion?

The Female sex category was created to ensure fair levels of competition for athletes of female sex. By definition Transwomen are not female sex. The burden of proof is on you to show why they should be admited to a category for which they do not meet the basic qualifcation requiments,

Excellent tweet by Richard Dawkins, exposing the disingenuous sleight of hand of having sex replaced with gender whenever it suits; in this case, sport.

Jesus, you are not sticking to the argument in the slightest and bringing in how someone “feels”, and think we all want to stop them from transitioning at all.

That just isn’t remotely true, and you know it.

I disagree. As when a Transwomen has SRS/GRS surgery and has been on Estrogen for a year or more then their testosterone is hugely reduced and now at the same level as a CIS Womens so any advantage is lost.

First of all, reducing the definition of a woman to the level of testosterone in their body is extremely insulting. If I, as a man, artificially reduced my testosterone (but didn't claim to be trans), would that make me a woman? Does that mean that I should qualify to enter the women's division, too? Of course not.

Second, you talk about advantage being lost once surgery / hormones have been taken. That is categorically false, and there are far more fluent speakers in this thread who have more than detailed the reasons why. I shan't repeat their words.

Third, let's take a practical example -- Lia Thomas.

If what you're saying is true, then the following could not possibly happen:

During the last season Thomas competed as a member of the Penn men’s team, which was 2018-19, she ranked 554th in the 200 freestyle, 65th in the 500 freestyle and 32nd in the 1650 freestyle. As her career at Penn wrapped, she moved to fifth, first and eighth in those respective events on the women’s deck.

Fourth, and as I've said several times now, we don't see biological females joining men's sport with the equivalent rank jumps and victories. It just doesn't happen.

There's a very, very clear and obvious reason for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Ronnie Delany and Eamonn Coghlan were mega Irish athletes but, for me, the finest sight in women's athletics will always be Sonia O'Sullivan especially as she strode out for the finishing line on the last lap.

If what is being proposed here by some posters had been allowed then we would never have seen her win because a pair of testosterone fueled male legs would always have been there to deprive her of that honour.

Thankfully, World Athletics has seen the light and other sports bodies are following suit. That said, sportswomen themselves are the only people who have the real power to make sure things stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

She would probably have the medals to claim to be our greatest track athlete only for the doping Szabo and the three Chinese who came from nowhere.

Literally bumped into her when she was at her peak, lovely woman.

Post edited by Large bottle small glass on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Someone that transitioned 20 years ago is still pretty much obliterating female competitors, winning 10 out of 12 events entered.

bUt ThEy DiDnT wIn ThEm AlL!!!!!

Hahah, I love that they call mediocre numbers, which they are. A 400lbs total powerlifting total is meh.

I'm afraid to say that until women stand up and boycott all events, this injustice will be imposed upon them by politicised sporting bodies.

If I were a woman athlete, there is no way on Earth I would compete against a biological male.

It's the equivalent of demanding that a gay man sleep with women lest he be accused of heterophobia.

Some things are non-negotiable, and that includes women's right to fairness and equality in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Seems like the evidence that you asked for two weeks ago has still not arrived....

In excess of 400lbs - crazy! How could that be anything other than unfair?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

According to that person, all the other women in the categroy are just "so bad". Even their son who weighs 45lbs can lift almost as much as a fully grown woman. Yeah no ****. You are both males and they aren't, thats why. Duh.

Sick of being told by male people that women just need to do better and try harder. Absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Worth pointing out the report indicate doesn't how long, or if at all the competitor is on any hormone blocking regimen as this sporting competition doesn't require that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Blame Canada!

Anne Andres’ total powerlifting score at the Brandon University Healthy Living Centre event was 597.5 kilograms, which was over 200 kilograms more than her opponent SuJan Gill who held a 387.5 kg score.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/pop-culture/news-who-anne-andres-trans-male-breaks-women-s-powerlifting-record-sparks-online-controversy

Tamara Walcott (born 1983/1984) is a powerlifter from the United States Virgin Islands. She started powerlifting in 2018. In August 2022, Guinness World Records credited her with setting a world record for lifting 737.5 kilograms (1,626 lb) during the three compound lifts (squatbench press, and deadlift) at the 2022 World Raw Powerlifting Federation American Pro. She also set a world record for the heaviest elephant bar deadlift by a woman for lifting 291 kilograms (642 lb) (raw) during the Arnold Sports Festival in March 2022.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamara_Walcott

Advertisement