Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I just watched it and it's 100% a penalty. Don't understand how anyone can argue against. "Well x wasn't given a penalty against y" is not an argument either. Put Onana in an outfield players shirt and have him clatter into a lad without getting anywhere near the ball, do you think it's not a pen then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I agree it should be a penalty.

But you are ignoring the fact keepers get away with clattering into opponents without getting the ball ALL THE TIME, in a way no outfield player would. So the argument of 'put an outfied players shirt on' is just as moronic a stance as 'X wasn't given'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

And would you leave the Man Utd jersey on him... Or let's say put him in a Spurs or Brighton jersey... That might also make a difference on how outraged people are at the incident.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just because they get away with it doesn't mean it's not a foul. Just because they refs don't have consistency doesn't mean a fan can't be consistent in their view on what the rules are.

For me it's irrelevant, all teams should be held to the same standard. There is probably less Spurs or Brighton fans on here so of course an incident involving those teams would get less coverage here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't think you understand consistency if you think them dealing with similar issues the same way is inconsistent.

I guess the difference between the likes of Wissa and the one of José Sá from last season is that in those cases the keeper actually hit the player who got the ball and a penalty wasn't given.

• Advertisement

In theory a penalty yes, by the laws of the game sure, but for years and as long as I'm watching football goalkeepers have been getting away with this and worse,.there has been plenty of times were goalkeepers have punched lads in the head missing the ball and nothing given and nothing said. Why the rules are reffed different in the box who knows.

There was no new directive set at the start of the season I'm aware of like the time wasting, the level of interest in this incident is bizarre because of all that's happened before the refs being stood down even more so. You would presume given Webb's stance here we will see many penalties given this season, but I feel he is just doing this as it was a night time televised game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can't believe the officials have been reprimanded, bosses apologizing and people are still defending it.

Good oul tribalism

Well these particular referees were clearly scapegoated in order so that PGMOL were seen to get ahead of the issue.

Question though. Why do you think they didn't give a penalty if it was so clear and obvious?

Why do I think a Terrible mistake was made?

I can only hope a lack of integrity or incompetence. I don't buy any concious bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

That's some leap they were stood down because they got a clear and obvious penalty wrong. They either didn't give it out of pure incompetence or because they bottled it.

• Advertisement

If you remove yourself from the outlook that it was "a terrible mistake".

What process do you think was followed that allowed these people to review the incident and come up with "no penalty"? They seen the same thing we did. They had an opinion on it and came to that conclusion.

Since it was so obvious to everyone bar the 3 or 4 people involved between the ref and VAR room that it was an open and shut case and we're not allowed to discuss it because 2 others have said it was a mistake. Almost like people can interpret different things from incidents.

I agree United should have had a penalty for that handball and Wolves should have had a penalty for the Onana thing.

But neither happened and it was down to interpretation of the rules.

IMO they were stood down because United got the benefit of the call.

There was zero talk of the officials at the Spurs - Brentford game being stood down. When the Wolves keeper punched the leeds player in the face and nothing was given the officials were not stood down.

People like to think United get all the calls, but we are as much treated as an example as we are given favourable calls. I'm certain United will not get a few penalty claims given to them over the next month, and probably a couple of soft penalties agaisnt them - because the Refs are afraid of being publicly shamed if they give a call to United, following the outragous attack on them we have seen - 2 days later and we have David James bleating on Sky Sports about it, but nothing about the Brentford non-call. We have Dermot Gallagher amazed it wasn't given, after saying the Wolves keeper pucnhing the leeds player would never be a penalty and there would be uproar and penalties every week if they were given.

But its United, so people froth and United will suffer for it

Does the sheer effort of the mental gymnastics ever make you wonder about the position you are trying to defend?

Likely the ref told the 4th official (or whomever) he saw Onana and the attacker come together after the ball was away, but didn't deem it a penalty.

The other official then confirms yes - the ball was away and Onana and the attacker collided - matching what the ref saw - so the ref didn't miss the incident. On the understanding it is supposed to be a high bar to overturn the ref decision, the official didn't intervene because the events matched what the ref saw. His (the refs) interpretation is questionable, but the VAR official didn't over-rule his interpretation of the event he clearly saw.

You have not engaged with what I've asked. I think it was probably a penalty. Can you really not see why it wasn't given or are you just here to take potshots and stifle the discussion?

There's not really discussion.

There's a clear unanimous view, it is shared by the broader media for once and has even been shared by officialdom.

You are trying to backwards engineer a discussion. The fact someone made a mistake, and that the Var officials didn't have the integrity/courage/competence to correct it doesn't automatically mean the incident warrants further Poirot style investigation to see if it could be justified.

When there are similar (worse actually as the player contacted actually had the ball, unlike this one where it was 2 players colliding off the ball) incidents that can be pointed to where there was nobody seeking officials being reprimanded and apologising is it not worth comparing like for like and asking why as big a deal is being made out of this when similar has gone off without an issue or a peep from the outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I think the two penalty issues need their own thread going by this convo

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's not your job to defend Manchester United in every situation on the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A disgraceful statement there from Man Utd, basically saying that they want to re-integrate Mason Greenwood into the squad, without using them words exactly, yet. The Athletic are reporting that "Manchester United chief exec Richard Arnold told senior staff two weeks ago the club were planning to bring back Mason Greenwood. He also intended to record a video explaining the decision."

The official club statement includes lines such as;

"we understand the strong opinions it has provoked based on the partial evidence in the public domain"

"alleged victim"

You can stick that pre-recorded PR video. I hope the player gets dogs abuse every time he steps onto a pitch wearing a jersey, be it Man Utd or not. We've all seen the videos and pictures, unfortunately. Been too many players that seem to get away with it, and even worse there is a culture that players don't care what they do as they know that their clubs will cover it up for them, along with money etc. They act like they have no conscience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I think everyone can see it should have been a penalty but there have been countless similar incidences over the years with nothing given and absolutely no furore over it. There's been no talk of cracking down before the season started so why the sudden issue? Simple, it's United. Hated, adored and never ignored comes to mind and its pretty apt here. United should have lost that game and the fact they held on to win pissed a lot of people off. Rivalry and bitterness at its best. Lots of media reaction and its a live game with the incident right at the death. Of course Sky are going to keep stoking the flames to drive media and fan reaction.

I'll be more than happy to see some consistency and these issues being punished week in and out but I'm not holding my breath. What will happen is a spotlight on United/Onana and a number of soft penalties that won't be consistent with other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He should be booked by all fans every minute he's on the bench and steps on the field.

United have let themselves down here.

Absolutely mind boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I cannot believe a) United would want to take him back, b) ETH would want to pick him, c) the United players would want to train or play with him.

Cannot for the life of me understand why United didn't do what Ulster Rugby did to Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding - they were found not guilty but the club terminated their contracts as they were bringing the club into disrepute. The evidence in Greenwood's case is even more damning.

They want to protect player value. Can't let him go for free.

The player has no value. The damage he has done and will definitely do after this decision is worth more than any money they might get for him from some morally bankrupt Saudi team.

I also don't understand the investigation, Manchester United are a football club/business not the courts. At the start they should have sat him down and asked one question "Is that you in video?" and sacked him there and then.

What message does this send out to decent people?

United have let themselves down here.

And the thing is, they acted very correctly and promptly when the videos first surfaced. But have let themselves down big time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

It will possible backfire on their hopes this year as it will bring a lot of negative attention to Utd.

From the standards most people set in life for themselves, their families and friends; it is an abhorrent decision and only another example why women are afraid to report abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I do.enjoy the bit about respecting lifelong anonymity, directed towards someone who plastered it all over social media

My hope would be this decision has been leaked to The Athletic by someone senior at the club in the hope that it generates (correctly) a huge amount of outrage from fans, players, coaches, media, sponsors and humans that they have to reverse it now for any official announcement.

The fact that it even has to be a hope is quite sad.

They 100% want to bring him back if they didn't they'd have dealt with this by now. They are trying to figure out the least controversial way of bringing him back. I personally don't think there is one.

The idea that there is a conspiracy against Manchester united is laughable. Your logic is mad refs are afraid to give calls to Manchester United so that's why they didn't give an absolutely blatant penalty to Wolves in the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Statement definitely smacks as a teaser to bringing him back and seen what the mood is like. Why would United even risk this? They are a £6bn business, is he worth the negative press and possibility of sponsors pulling back. Maybe those recordings are edited but they can't be unheard.

They were always going to bring him back though otherwise the investigation would of been simple. "Mason is that you on the recording?" Yes. Your sacked good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

This United peno craic is the same as the pages and pages of rival fan triggering there was last January following the Rashford not interfering with play VAR decision in the City game. Whether it's the red tops or boards.ie, anything United related gets those clicks.🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I thought the same until I read the Athletic article. It’s happening barring a real U-turn

Some Man Utd friends of mine were saying that the decision was made after Adidas agreed a new contract with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I'm not quite getting Chelsea's new shirt numbering. They've given Lavia 6b and Olise will get 343.

This is weird, I've not defended United once on the penalty and said it probably was one. But sure what does that mean when a quick snipe can be made.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I read the opposite. Adidas were briefed and asked for their opinion before the new deal was done. They're apparently fine with Greenwood returning.

• Advertisement

That must have been it.

Either way, it comes down to money. And when sponsors are ok with it, then so are the club. ETH seems to be happy with the decision too.

In fairness, I've seen some pushback from fans who are not happy.

I dunno like, we’ve seen United fans stop a football match from happening by occupying a stadium. While the decision is ultimately not theirs, they’re going to be judged accordingly on whether they allow this one happen. And they can 100% stop it.

A lot harder to do that when there's not a skeleton crew securing the stadium and it's heavily policed.

Fine, but I don’t think you need to go as far as literally occupying the stadium to get the job done here. If the will is there to get it done, it’ll be done. This is literally happening because those in power are assuming that won’t happen. Hence the test the waters pre-srarement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Classless stuff.

Bottom line, United like many big corporations don't give 2 sh1tes apart from their bottom line. They they obviously think there is more $$$ innit to keep him rather than by cutting him out. The have being leaking this decision out in dribs and drabs all week, and even had the cheek to leak out stories about bringing their Women players into the 'decision making process', effectively spreading the blame if the decision was received badly.

But then again, what's the precedent? They happily ignored similar stories around Ronaldo when he was there and brought back, so why not Mason? Is it because CR was a megastar and scored more goals?

As I said, no class. Behind the scenes, the FA or the EPL should be telling them to cop the fvck on and shift him to Saud or someplace if the money is that fckkng important to them. It's be difficult enough to get women and girls involved in the game, and it's finally In a good place in England now, with the national team and the Super league in a good place. The likes of this can do a lot of reputational damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The best quote I heard today about the Greenwood situation was on a podcast today which was basically if ur a **** person make sure ur good at football that way u can behave however u want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

If, and it’s a big if, Utd keep Greenwood, it would the worst thing a PL club has ever done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ah the FA & EPL, those bastions of virtue.

Tbf to man u, all other PL clubs would probably do the same. They have an asset of value, tied into a long term contract, which they are trying to figure out how to get the best return from in current circumstances. As someone else said, its all about the bottom line, football/ethics/"doing the right thing" doesnt come into it, unless it hits them in th3 pocket, more than it would cost to release him/sell him to saudi

Man City didn't, they excluded Mendy when his allegations came out and he was never brought back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think Mendy's existing contract just ran out so they didnt need to make a choice re. return.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement