Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

According to Russia the production of Lancets has increased 4 fold and continues to ramp I posted some links to the article a while ago, also the new version has been given quite a boost in capability. There currently appears to be no answer to this weapon, and optics and chips appear to be no issue as they are sourced from countries sympathetic to Russia. I saw this morning that Challenger tanks have now been seen sporting cope cages, it seems the only way to offer a limited degree of protection..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, and using the definition of a state as being freely and democratically elected by the people, who can then control the actions of the state. But this is not Russia. Russia was illegally hijacked by Putin, and its now a dictatorship, with Putin being the dictator. Citizens do not have choices in dictator run Country's. And this is the problem with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

I don't think they were making a mistake, they knew exactly what they were doing, bar the bank guarantee which was a second go at loot taking at the nations expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

In addition. The term "cope cage" was used because early on in the war russia were installing these things in a desperate effort to protect themselves from Javelins and NLAWs. Which were absolutely tearing apart their tank columns. Of course they provide no real protection against these weapons. Hence "cope cage".

They have however been shown to be effective against FPV drones. Drones dropping grenades into the tank hatches and also against lancets. There's several pictures of same.

It was an article I posted some time ago from a Bulgarian news site showing a tour of the Lancet manufacturing facility, there were piles of what looked like completed Lancets ready for shipment to the war zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Indeed, but it's a Russian claim (they've even used CGI in some "reports" to make factories look larger than they are)

We'll see if a) it's true and b) their new drone systems even work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Is this also based on the video of the production that used mirrors to make the facility and production line look larger?

Imagine starting a statement with 'according to Russia'......

For every lancet video there has to be 2 dozen Ukrainian FPV drone videos.

Certainly doesn't appear to be any answer to that drone! We've seen Ukrainians fly them into tank hatches, into the back of an open BMP etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Russian men of fighting age who have a conscience should be joining up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Russia_Legion

Any Russian citizen living or travelling to the civilised world should be made sign declarations at the border denouncing Putin's mafia regime on the understanding that they can only enter/remain the country if they're happy for that form to be sent to the Kremlin.

Any Russian already here and expressing support for the war should be repatriated immediately.

I had the "pleasure" of being picked up by a Russian taxi driver over the weekend who had the **** cheek to start complaining about Ukrainian refugees during the drive. Sadly, as she's married to an Irishman, it's unlikely she could be deported so I had to settle for pointing out her hypocrisy.

This thread really has gone to Sh*t.

Unless you say the Ukrainians are thrashing Russia you are attacked.

There is no comparison between a FPV drone with a coat hanger trigger and analogue video that cuts out before impact, and the lancet.

Every western media source says the same, the Ukrainians say it, just google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

At the start of the full invasion last year I seem to remember a substantial group of Russians having a demonstration, except not against the war.

A group of them drove along the M50 waving Russian flags and some had Z signs as well. Pretty obvious they were fully supporting and cheering on the invasion.

There has been several of these Russian demonstrations across Europe, some seemed to be well organised.

I agree that we should not be blaming every Russian and dehumanising them all just because they are Russian, I dont think this is a road we should go down.

But you keep stating this is all on Putin and absolving the entire Russian population, even where many clearly support and cheer on the war. This is also wrong IMO.

• Advertisement

Just be extra wary of Russian claims.

Perhaps they have newer better Lancets, with actual production, that work properly and can be brought to the battlefield and are a significant upgrade over the current - or perhaps, like many claims, it's more smoke and (literal) mirrors. Over the last year and a half it usually goes into the latter category.

Looks like Urozhaine could be in Ukr hands (also from other sources)

Another day, another batch of Russian soldiers complaining about conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

What's interesting about that phase of overt Russian emigree support is that it illustrates how the internet can actually be counterproductive to integration when as family and friend units they can stay totally immersed in their home culture, until it actually impacts their immigrant income.

What happens them in a Russian regime change that gives up claims to Ukraine? They'll bare watching as much as Loyalist paras in a reunited Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Reports indicate robotyne is about to fall.

I've read as well that the next phase will be Ukraine attacking laterally to take over this line of fortifications and move the front forward.

I already posted the links way back, but if you didn't read it try this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lancet+drone

Unfortunately you wont find anything agreeable to you.

No worries I am finished with boards, I'm off, enjoy !

I would have thought all the reports in the press and by the Ukrainian military confirming its one of their most feared weapons would confirm to you that they do work.

No worries I am finished with boards, I'm off, enjoy !

Attacked 🙄. Maybe try a counsellor or a hospital visit if you feel its that serious?

The thread has gone to shite indeed, if you're posting information from pro Russian sources or not backing up your claims with anything at all. And rightly so. Here look I googled for you:

A picture of a lancet getting strung up in a "cope cage". That took me about two seconds worth of googling. And there were several more images easily available of lancets and drones like them getting caught in nets and wiring. So the strategy is at least somewhat effective. That much has been established. Noone is saying lancets aren't an issue. We just aren't gonna take your word for it that the Russians have set up a warehouse thats increased their output by 400% churning out battalions of these things ready to go. And we aren't going to go researching your claims for you either.

Try harder.

In what way does a google link to a search for "Lancet drone" in any way back up anything you were saying about new warehouses and production lines up 400% for armies of Lancets?

• Advertisement

I was referring to the Russian claims which you referred to of more advanced Lancets and "4 fold" increased production of them.

Maybe the claim is true, but generally those types of claims from Russia turn out to be false or distorted.

Just to add, it's important to take Russian claims with a much heavier dose of salt than normal, and to be more skeptical. Indeed munitions like Lancets are dangerous to Ukrainians, but they have their own ways of dealing with them. I am concerned about Russia ramping up e.g. drones, making their own Shaheds, and other tactics - but it's important to put them in context. As for the topic, it's a war, people are being blown to pieces, there's a lot of emotive things happening, so strong feelings from commentators are understandable to a degree.

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The best part about this is they can use that frontline of defense now and strengthen it to suit Ukrainian need's if Russia ever goes on the attack and Ukraine dig in. A possibility over the winter for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They might just keep going though until they can put all roads and transport across the south under fire. Ukraine has been targetting Russian artillery for the last few months and apparently Russian counter battery fire has gone quiet in most places. With weakened artillery there could be big moves and we might be seeing the start of that

Crack on with the other posters not me, as you have shown there is no issue with the Lancet its an easy weapon to defeat.

I thought you were done with boards? Are you even reading the words that im writing?

I literally say in my post above that:

Noone is saying lancets aren't an issue.

We're just calling out your assertion that there are new warehouses and production lines up 400% for armies of new and improved Lancets?

Which you've yet to back up with anything other than Russian sources

I said " I saw this morning that Challenger tanks have now been seen sporting cope cages, it seems the only way to offer a limited degree of protection..". And you use google to answer your other stuff, as I said Im off.

Putin supporters will follow Putin from any where they are, until they are "discouraged". But they seem to be dwindling as the world turns more and more against Putin.?

@@@

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭zv2

I've seen many videos of the Lancet destroying SPGs, tanks, IFVs etc. It seems like a lethal weapon. Still, Russia seems to be losing a lot more armor than Ukraine.

They showed a video of the Lancet production line and they had mirrors on the walls to make it look much bigger. I posted the video some time ago.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

Russia have a lot of junk but they also have a small number of kit that's proving highly effective. The Lancet is one of them, perhaps the surprise of the conflict so far. It's unremarkable on paper but they have good warheads incl a proper shaped-charge one for armored targets. They always use them in conjunction with surveillance drones - which Russia seem to field with too little resistance - and tend to go after high-value targets. It's not propaganda to say they're causing a lot of trouble for Ukraine.

I wouldn't say Russia have a huge number of them but they have a steady stream - every day there's at least one or two unique videos posted and this gives a low-end estimate of how many they can produce (eg 30-60 per month).

One weakness of kamikaze drones in general is that when they swoop down to attack their target, they lose/degrade the signal from the operator and they also encounter slipstream turbulence if they are attacking a moving vehicle. It's very common for example to see them swoop down on a moving vehicle and totally miss it. So what I would expect to see next is drones that are more autonomous on the final attack phase.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement