Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Afraid they are hundreds of thousands were the figures for his programs in terms of radio and TV here in Ireland. Lots did not like him like yourself and myself. I disagree with the poster he is still popular though.

I must disagree with you and it has lowered my opinion of you to use the word mentally ill on people who did watch or listen

Okay I thought you made some good posts before this but now you just trolling with that last few sentences

He did a lot of wrongdoing just nothing illegal, if one of my colleagues understated his wages and told me he took a pay cut I’d murder him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The main fuction of the GT report seems to have been to detail a lot of what happened and effectively get it on the record. It may only be the first step in a long process.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Imagine wanting to work in an organisation of thousands where 50% (alot more imo) dont want you there.......

Some neck.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

And I agree however ad they had it on it counts as listeners or watches of a show (includes hate watches so you can post in a thread on boards). This is why it is important to turn off your radio and TV when there is nothing you want to watch or listen even double if you do not like it.

Eamonn de Velera

Sonia O Sullivan

Bill O Hearly

Jimmy mcGee

Mary Robinson

Gay Byrne

Pat Kenny

Jack Charlton

Steve Stauton

Packie Bonner

Paul McGrath

Roy Keane

Enough or do you want more

From the coverage, RTE staff don't seem to be 50/50 on this. The comments from Seamus Dooley weren't exactly conciliatory and it would not be surpising if there was industrial action if Tubridy was brought back. Tubridy has become the face of RTE financial wastage.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

When the independent contractor presenters were taking their pay cuts, did RTE employee presenters take a pay cut too?

The thing is, if it was only independent contractors who took a pay cut, they aren't really colleagues on the same footing. They are all separate companies who negotiate for themselves with RTE. It's not quite the same as if they were all bus drivers working for the same company and one guy doesn't take the same pay cut as the rest of the bus drivers.

Another question. When the presenters were taking pay cuts, did RTE staff, e.g. camera operators, researchers, admin staff etc. take pay cuts? I doubt it. I'm sure the unions would have been out on strike if something like that happened.

I think that the staff took paycuts while RTE management were helping lessen any cut for Tubridy while Tubridy claimed to be taking a larger paycut than he did in reality. The staff got screwed. That's why they are angry.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Most of those were popular 20th Century figures, what I'm saying is Ryan is probably the most popular Irish public figure of the first quarter of this century.

Anyway, I don't think any of those were as broadly popular as Ryan has been over the last 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

RTE staff took pay cuts back in 2009.

The cuts, which will range from 2.5% to 12.5%, were presented by management as an alternative to redundancies.

A total of 57% of union members accepted the cuts, in a ballot conducted over the past ten days.

The cuts to independent contractors followed on from that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Pretty much everyone took pay cuts back then. That was the recession. Clearly I wasn't talking about back then.

I'm talking about the time RTE was cutting the pay to presenters but Tubs didn't take the pay cut, e.g. 2019 - 2021 etc. Apologies, not sure of the exact date.

All those people are more popular in this century then Ryan but okay here are a few

Brian O Driscoll

Ronan O Gara

Johnny Sexton

Joe Smidt

Whatever about the likes of BoD, Joe Schmidt wouldn’t be identified by the majority of people in Ireland in a line-up Same with Stephen Kenny.

Tubridy would be far more recognisable and have a higher profile than Joe S.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

He doesn't care because he can't do anything else. "This is my soul, This is all I've got". If he really were in demand at home or abroad he would not make such statements. What other broadcasting organisations are going to pay the type of salary he has become accustomed to? For the 53 minutes of time that he spends in RTE each weekday (plus 20 -30 minutes prep) he will work with a small selection or team of people in who will tell him he is great and who will nurture his ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So my inital thoughts

This report basically backs up what we knew, I see it as confirming that RTÉ tried to conceal the earnings of Ryan Tubrity to somehow show they were taking action on their top earners wages. (Which even on the suggested savings that they didn't get, they actually made few changes).

What next. IMO I don't really care what happens to Tubs its is in his court to rebuild, however it still remains that he could have corrected the record on the publication of both sets of figures, which involves no hindsight due to the plethora of news articles showing how he had taken a cut and how adamant he was that he had taken cuts when he really had not.

What next for RTÉ. The facts still remain that RTÉ were incompetent and it looks like Dee Forbes was out of her depth while there. There spending is off the chart when it comes to the niceties of high office and they all clearly were hiding the problems that the did not want to face up to. They had no clear idea of the business that they were in and had very little interest in it.

RTÉ must reform, if it cannot then the current DG should be aware he will be back to English very shortly, while IMHO the members of the RTÉ Board who have been in situ for more than 2 years must now resign.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

He was supposed to have been going to London to have some talks with major players in July. Don't think that Radio Norwich was interested. Irish broadcasters aren't exactly beating down his door to offer him a job. RTE has become a cesspool of overpaid mediocrity. And with the way that licence fee non-renewals are rising, Bakhurst may have to make an example of Tubridy to save some of his management people and perhaps his own job.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

And the exit payments to their CFO, and their barter accounts? I think you are right at this point on Tubs, for many, his part in the scandal will have blown over, for others there is everything else that occurred during this time. Some that you seem unwilling to acknowledge.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

You seem to have forgotten his stint on 2FM and that he hasn't been back on the BBC for a long while now.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Very true.

The other thing about Gaybo and Pat Kenny was that they actually had talent, worked hard and put in the preparation for their radio and tv programmes.

I don't ever remember them soliciting gifts either.

Tubridy happened to be in the right place at the right time - for him. He was not worth a fraction of the ridiculous money he was getting. Ever.

I hope he doesn't return but I am not confident that Bakhurst has the backbone to get rid of him, unfortunately.

As regards the report from Grant Thornton, their role was to state what happened, imo, not to declare whether such things were right or wrong.

Hopefully he will get that job in the BBC, or RTÉ can sort out a comedy series for him.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tubridy was standing on the shoulders of 'giants' who had built the audience such as Gay Byrne, Pat Kenny and Gerry Ryan and happened to be riding the crest of Celtic Tiger boom wages.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

President Higgins. (and I am sure there will be back lash on that person) you could even say President McAleese. perhaps Katie Taylor. Tommy Tiernan, Pat Kenny.

I suppose everyone loves someone.

It says a lot about RTÉ and Irish broadcasting in general that no other 21st Century figure has appeared as a more popular figure to Ryan Tubridy.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Emma O'Kelly just interviewed again on Drivetime. She ain't happy with the explanations to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

My concern is that sometime in the future as the JNLR figures for Tubridy's show decline (and they will), Backhurst may demonstrate his comments on Tubridy's talent IIRC "there are always possibilities". I think there is the possibility that Tubridy could be moved into a 'service' such as RTE Gold and in time they could use the salary costs alone of running those services as an excuse to get permission from the minister to close them. As RTE's digital services do not produce revenue, it was Forbes' intention to close them pre-Covid and I think her successor may attempt to succeed in that regard...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great to see all the WUM's out today. Makes the reading more enjoyable. Far more entertaining than Tub's show anyway.

• I have personal direct experience of Pat being very self-critical after a show. I had been the unpaid voluntary “agent” for a friend who was a guest on the show, a transplant recipient, it was book launch night, so I got invited to the green room after. Pat shunned being stuck among the “celebrities” and beelined to me & friend for a chat, asked me to hold his pint of Guinness whilst he popped into the gents. He said “I don’t think I gave it my all tonight, it was kinda cr@p, it will be going through my head until Monday”. He meant that. Tubridy wouldn’t think to critique himself, ever, let alone to a nobody hanging around the studio.

• Advertisement

Highly unlikely that happened, but surely heading over to complete strangers to vent about your own performance would be egotistical in the extreme?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement