Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

It's common in the US with all their regional subsidiaries.

I think what they do is take your 10kg bag at the gate and check it in free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The vast majority of what I carry in my cabin luggage – which doesn't fit under the seat – can't legally go into the hold due to non-removable lithium batteries (two laptops, two phones, iPad, camera, power bank, etc).

It hasn't arisen for me yet but I have wondered before how that particular circle gets squared when the overhead bins are full.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

On many airlines for their prop aircraft or regional jets you can drop your bags off by the aircraft steps. They are returned to you when disembarking.

I don't know why Emerald can't do that. It's much faster and easier than having to wait for your bags at the baggage reclaim.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

2 new routes to be announced tomorrow.

Denver and Minnepolis.

https://twitter.com/TravelExpert_IE/status/1691837243365708183?t=ViK53CPSKnXI5S-zB9V9ZQ&s=19

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Wonder will be see any fleet widebody fleet announcements as well ? At least the regular -300 should be able to make DEN with issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

I think its required. Another daily rotation will stretch the fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its less likely there'll be an order from Airbus considering they'll need something for March/April; but another random old GE 330 from somewhere has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

A7-AEO Qatar 330-300 has been parked since march in Doha. May be a contender as QR are getting their a350s back in service and EI/QR have lease history (EIK/L) and QR own 20% of IAG?

If they do expand the fleet a little... Maybe there's time to reconfigure the interior of whatever they lease to EI std. and avoid (instead of repeating) the dice-roll debacle.

GEY being back in the fleet does allow for the new routes if it's a 3 DEN 4 MSP rotation... But back to zero backup again... Which is EIs modus operandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Will they even still have engineers to look after aircraft to launch these routes? More resignations last week and this week 🤣

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I heard that FR are offering more money were would the EI lads be off to? I know Intel were looking for engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Given that they've leased in Wamos to cover their current services it's hard to see how they can add another 7 weekly flights to the USA without at least one additional frame.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Intel are looking for entirely different qualifications, unless you had an appropriate degree as well as your aviation engineering licences you'd be entering a lot lower and probably below what you'd get staying at EI. Its other airlines that the flow out the door is going to.

Intel also restarted hiring people with leaving certs a year or two ago but that's on comparatively tiny money with huge amounts of on the job training.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Last I heard, the lead time on the J class seats was around 5 years. The seats for EIK & EIL were likely ordered in early 2020 when they first joined the fleet and are being installed in approx January.

Post edited by HTCOne on

Yeah, it's crazy long, but perhaps the vantage EI use, being less popular these days, might be an easier get... I doubt it though. Anywho, we'll see. They may just 'sweat the assets' as per usual for summer 2024. They can just about do it with what they have... If they're all airworthy - XLRs coming for the following year so maybe they'll wait it out and tune the fleet/route as they come on stream in 2025.

I wonder can you get secondhand vantages at this stage... As others upgrade to newer models?

Post edited by sherology on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I saw an advert for Intel looking for aircraft engineers on FB and people were asking why would a chip manufacturer want LME. Pay wise I wouldn't be sure what is on offer mates brother is director of engineering in my place must ask him as we have contracts with Intel.

Hard to believe 13/14 year ago the same people were thrown on the scrap heap, Along with truck drivers tradesmen now you can't get any.

With employers wanting to.look future afield than Europe for staff swings and roundabouts I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Denver x4 weekly (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) A332 from 17th May.

EI59 DUB 16:15-19:00 DEN

EI58 DEN 20:45-12:00 DUB

MSP schedule as reported before x4 weekly from 1st May.

They probably are getting an additional aircraft with both routes flying same days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Minneapolis will switch to daily on the A321NEOXLR once it arrives in autumn 2024

Head to head Vs Delta so on MSP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Has it been confirmed Delta will actually operate the route? They had the slots for it this summer but failed to launch.

Delta would have some advantage with local traffic but Aer Lingus will have the European and UK connections + the right sized aircraft at the right frequency come winter 2024.

Delta filed the route but haven't announced it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

I’m told there is daily spare capacity when everything is fit and healthy that is.

Yes a new order is required for further growth, but my reply was directly in relation to the question “will they also announce a new order when they announce these new routes”. I said No chance, and there hasn’t been. I think we’d have heard through the grapevine long before now if they were ordering something. I know they have talked to Boeing about 787s and to Airbus about 330NEOs but that’s all they have done.

It's good to see an XLR arrival date... Finger's crossed. Looking forward to seeing how it works in real world routings and operations.

Any information on the cabin? Same as LR (vantage) or making a move to vantage studio type seating?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Recaro CL3810 for economy and business is unconfirmed yet I think. Looking at all direct aisle access to keep up with the current industry direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Things are gonna go bang next summer if they don't.

One tech A330 torpedoes the whole schedule with these new routes I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Can they even get it in EI cabin config in time at this stage? Pretty sure there's a shortage of J seats at the moment?

Or are they just gambling on EI [operated by Privilege Style] and no one will complain about the brand/paxex differences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think we know by now that Aer Lingus aren’t exactly too fussed about the brand in terms of cabin offering. It’s more important to them to source additional capacity to expand the network than it is to have a consistent product, especially if it’s something that’ll eventually be fixed at a later date as we saw with EI-GEY and what we’ll hopefully see with EIK and EIL this winter.

It’s the abysmal communication from the airline that has made the ex-QR aircraft issues worse. They could at least say when they’re being refitted and the improvements coming, but then again they didn’t even bother to highlight the minor but notable improvements to the new build A320neo cabins either.

Advertisement