Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

Typical Ireland, pay for substanard work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

The report confirmed details, previously disclosed in documents provided to the Public Accounts Committee, which stated that Tubridy earned:

• €511,667 from RTÉ in 2017 (compared to his RTÉ-stated salary of €491,667)
    • €545,000 from RTÉ in 2018 (compared to his RTÉ-stated salary of €495,000)
    • €545,000 from RTÉ in 2019 (compared to his RTÉ-stated salary of €495,000).

Tubridy has been lying when discussing his salary for the past six years, all the time feigning solidarity with the poorest members of society. Absolutely hilarious to say that the public feel a sense of ownership over RTÉ. They don't seem to care what any of us think.

RTÉ's highest-paid presenter Ryan Tubridy said he would "not be found wanting" if asked to take another pay cut. Mr Tubridy, who earned €495,000 in 2018, said he took a 30 per cent cut the last time he was asked and would be ready to take a further 15 per cent if required by RTÉ management.

The Late Late Show presenter saw his pay decline in 2013 when his salary of €723,000 was reduced by 31 per cent to its present level of €495,000. Responding to a question about the matter after launching the annual St Vincent de Paul’s Christmas appeal, Tubridy said: “When it comes to this kind of issue, I have never been found wanting and that continues to be the case.”

Tubridy said the public feels a “great sense of ownership” over RTÉ and he hoped that they did “not lose sight of the need for public service broadcasting”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

And then Tubridy lost their audiences. 40% of the Gerry Ryan audience. What were the figures for the LLS when he took over? 800K? Anyone care to provide the numbers?

390K.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I always Tubridy did nothing in terms of the pay but he was less than honest when RTE released his salary figures and he knew it was wrong but said and did nothing and then claimed to be taking a pay cut. The good thing to come from this is that it shows that the "talent" are way over paid and as we seen with Tubridy practically begging to come back to RTE there is no a queue of stations looking to get them. Hopefully those that negotiate these salaries for RTE will grow a spine and put significantly reduced contracts on the table for these talents, then the talent can either like it or lump it and see if they get better offers else where. I wouldn't see to many coming knocking on the likes of Brendan O'Connor or Joe Duffys door with contracts similar to what they are on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Probably waived it as he still has his job. Will likely get it when he does eventually leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Popularity doesn't necessarily mean talented. Heck far more people across the globe seem to know who Enoch Burke is than Tubridy.

(That said, I understand that Enoch is a very accomplished educator, whereas Ryan is a barely passable presenter).

Neither should ever see their old roles again (for different reasons) but I still can't understand why either would want to either?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Have you ever watched David Letterman? RT just copied his style and even idiosyncrasies.

RT and all the other (deep breath) 'talent' should be told:

'Right lads, there's a €100,000 for you per contracted season. If you don't like it, give the door a good bang on the way out, thanks.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Listen ING to the reporting on the grant Thornton report on radio and convinced RT will be back.

KB doesn't have the b@lls to get rid and tubridy is going to hang on like a leech.

Maybe he like the rest of us knows he doesn't have the talent for UK radio.

When D'arcy came back to rte I remember writing somewhere that it was the place they all returned to because they took anyone in regardless of 'talent'.

Rte is a shambles. Forbes was left uncontrolled.

The rte boards should be disbanded.

KB is not the right man for the job and some have said if all of this hadn't come to light it would have all carried on unbeknownst to the public.

Really glad I have Spotify and Netflix 😁

You wouldn’t get anyone competent to do it for 100k. My nephew is only 27 and he’s already making more than that. It’s a very average salary for a professional in Dublin. We need to be realistic here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Exactly this. What this RTE fiasco has exposed is that RTE are crap at negotiating and seemingly will pay whatever a so called "talent" asks for. Like you said when the next round of negotiations come up RTE should offer contracts of 100,000 and if they refuse they know where the door is. Also if they did leave RTE may unearth some real talented people who weren't being given a shot because the "talent".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Do the people who love RT do so on the basis of his TV work? I've never seen that so can't judge, but he is such a mediocre radio performer I can't imagine him inspiring massive devotion on the basis of that alone.

Gay Byrne was good, Pat Kenny was good in another way, Marian Finucane was good, Joe Duffy is good (irritating, but good). Tubridy not so much - it was always a relief when he took one of his days off and one of his colleagues stepped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tubs still clinging on for dear life...

"Look guys, I'm whiter than white, see. Don't worry about the €150k I'm keeping for stuff I didn't do, just remember I declined that sweet bonus AND I told them very clearly, that I wasn't too sure about the way things were declared. Wasn't too sure at all!

Guys, from my heart of hearts, I'm committed to getting back on the RTE teet, that big, glorious, milky mama herself! I want to restore the trust and confidence of my colleagues, the listeners and of course, those little scamps that I do all this for...............the children of Ireland. Those little tikes have seen their Toyman take a real pummeling this summer and I just want to tell them, don't worry kids, the Toyman's back in business and still very much on Santa's list of good eggs.

Finally, I want to acknowledge the huge support that I have received in recent weeks from people across the country; many cards and letters. Some, admittedly, incomprehensible and scrawled in blood. All the greetings on the street, and one or two beatings. But we won't dwell on those. The words of support from people I bumped into meant an awful lot to me and I appreciate them all very much. The insults, threats and foul language........I didn't appreciate at all, and those people were very mean spirited.

Folks, it's been a tough summer. But I hope now, people can believe me when I say, my salary is enormous but it doesn't affect my soul.

Talk to you in September. 9am weekdays baby!"

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Fair enough. It was more of having a realistic negotiating approach rather than a specific quantitative figure that i was attempting to convey.

It's a total cultural overhaul that is required from the top down. Senior management at RTE have been shown as totally inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

He'll probably get a comedy series commission from it all the same, wouldn't you think.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

You have said this before, I'd say your nephew would be at this point well qualified for a position as a comedy commissioning editor at RTÉ.

I'd love to get a job for 99k to do a incompetent job, hopefully one will come up in RTÉ. What does your Nephew do? Honestly interested to see what's on offer. What do you do for that matter. Your not head of comedy at RTÉ?

______

Yesterday

• It happened. Name of guest was the late Brendan McLaughlin, from Stranorlar, Co Donegal, whose book “The Will to Survive”, was published in 1993 by Blackwater Press and launched on Kenny Live.

He wasn’t being egotistical, far from it, he was being self critical, a concept unimaginable to the very occasional person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The time to stop Tubridy undeservedly returning to RTE is now, if only for the sake of decent RTE staff who will have to suffer him into the future.

Because once he gets his foot back in that door, he's there until old age, ie 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

How does he compare to your other nephews wages? The fact that it’s discussed and repeated raised by yourself ( I know none if my nephews wages) would surely indicate how extraordinary his position is?

• Advertisement

Sorry, wasn’t aware I had mentioned it before. Short term memory is terrible. I’m just pointing out that 100k isn’t the sort of coin that will attract top talent. There’s load of people in completely anonymous roles making way more than it. No public profile, online abuse, real life threats etc.

We know its not and we have mention that on several occasions and we have also mention that RTÉ staff aren't worth that coin. I would be happy if I could say that Dee Forbes did a phenomenal job and when beyond her pay to deliver any amazing service. But her 250k was worth the coin. The same seems to go for many of the executives at RTÉ.

As for Tubs he is not worth €500k in this day and age.

______

Yesterday

Your nephew is the exception rather than the rule. Very few under 30 are making 100k+ unless in niche roles and somehow got someone foolish enough to take a punt on them despite less than 10 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

1 hour radio slot with 3 months off every year for under 200k, deal of the century. That’s all fine then….. seriously RTE will never change. I hope everyone stops paying the licence fee.

Looks like your nephew aged 2 years in the last month. No wonder he has seen extraordinary salary growth.

26, 27 - can’t remember. Under 30 and make 100k plus, as are lots of other management consultant sorts. Anyways that not the point. You can expect someone to appear on TV and Radio for 100k. It’s madness to think that. Some people make minimum wage or are happy in the same job, others are more successful ?financially), more ambitious etc.

If a lad is high profile, bringing in multiples of his salary in advertising, represents the company in many ways then he deserves to be well rewarded for it.

He got a lot of hateful guff around here as well. Can’t imagine he reads it but it’s yet another reason he should be well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Windowsnut

Well sorry, but in my opinion the €200,000 - 500,000 average coin we have been spending per person each year hasn't attracted top talent either!

I believe the management at the station who we have also been paying top coin to have put the station in to a perilous position.

Each of the threads on here that document the daily tripe being shovelled out on irish air waves is evidence of the lack of bang for buck.

Ray D'arcy - telling the nation what he had for dinner - Jenny made a Ham!

O'Callaghan asking Praveen Halappanavar, how did you feel when the doctors told you when your wife died!

Are they for real!!!!

Bankrupt the station, close it down and start again!!!!!

What sort of show would you have on instead of Darcy’s, what format would it take, and any suggestion as to who might present it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The 27 year old nephew already earning 100k is most likely working 40 hours a week, 48 weeks a year.

Would 100k a year attract so-called top talent working those hours? Maybe, maybe not. Would 100k a year entice top talent to work 5 hours a week, 9 months of the year? I think so. Gives plenty of time for top talent to earn money elsewhere.

• Advertisement

In fairness tubs has got some backlash over the years on social media, but I have seen some questionable stories from other "RTÉ" stars about how they have been "abused" online.

Again we've all agreed with you but we are saying that the wage given to Tubs is far to large considering a number of things: -

1. Audiences for his type of programme both radio and TV are significantly down
    2. The market
    3. for 5 of those years he hosted on 2FM and could not revive the station, so much so that 2FM since Gerry Ryan Died has had to get funding from the licence fee.
    4. His replacement on Radio 1 did as well and was never in the top 10 earners for those 5 years.
    5. I have no problem with financial ambition but if he is so financial ambitious they you leave the small pond that is RTÉ and Irish Media and you move across to the UK and the US, and RTÉ don't follow you in the worry that you might go.
    6. You have a good talent spotter or a good Human Resources manager to find your replacement, and you pay them well for that role.

I am sure you nephew would consider a higher wage if he got it in New York. What is it that he does?

You still have yet to argue for the wages provided to the Executive Management staff and how they clearly didn't to their job, jobs that are not in the limelight.

______

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement