Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I have one colleague in here who would fit the second type you mention, i.e. profess to have a love of Christmas but don't want to entertain talk of it outside the month of December, & I mean even casually.

He also has made clear on an occasion that he likes the idea of getting back to work ASAP afterwards though and according to him would happily come back into the office on the 27th and never takes any extended leave around the Christmas break. Whilst I personally love the period between Christmas & New years. I dont mind coming back to work from the 2nd Jan or whatever way the days fall but the thoughts of only taking 24-26th off through choice would be unusual for a person who 'loves' Christmas I'd have thought?

Either way, I just do my own thing nowadays and dont really care what folk think of me at this stage.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭antimatterx

That's sad. I'm been building up leave more and more over the years to extend Christmas break. I took 3 weeks last year and it's looking like 4 weeks this year

• Registered Users Posts: 30,585 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Getting through August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

No way! I couldn't even imagine going back to work so soon after Christmas these days. I did it when I was very young and working in a meat factory. It was horrible. Nobody who loves Christmas could talk like that person. Hes a bag humbug for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I can only speak for myself but Christmas is a great comfort for me - if the year is particularly difficult having that to look forward to and reminiscing of nice memories from the past always makes the hard times feel a bit more manageable.

I think to begrudge someone that little bit of respite throughout the year is unfair particularly as you don't have to pay attention to it.

Post edited by ClaudeVercetti on

• Advertisement

These are making a return this year to the UK and maybe here.

I can't remember from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭BK5

I've always said it, anyone I know who loves Christmas is always a positive person by nature, they love the glow, sounds, smells and feeling that it brings.

People who don't like Christmas? Well let's just say they tend to be the glass half full type.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love the 27th to 1st of Jan period. It gives you time to soak the season in without the pressure of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Yes, I tend to do all my meet ups and drinking/parties in the run up to Christmas and the 26th. 27-31st is time spent at home on the sofa doing nothing but watch the darts etc and stuff my face!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I absolutely love Christmas, but I do have sympathy for those who don't. For some people it's a reminder of what and who they don't have, it's full of lonely or sad memories from childhood. It can feel very hollow and like a performance. It's not as easy as glass half full thinking.

I've had to redeem Christmas for myself and make it something to love. I'm very lucky in my adult life with friends, partner, kids etc., but it wasn't always this way! I enjoy it 100% now and love the build up all year but it's because it's something very real for me to look forward to. Not everyone can say that.

Post edited by Mystery Egg on

I always love hustle and bustle of the days before Christmas.

Then there's Christmas Eve it's self.

There's a point on Christmas Eve evening when the shops are closed and most people are home there's a great feeling of excitement.(It must be great if you've kids around). There's also great smells of hams cooking.

The days after Christmas are also great but you've got to have food.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Itssssssss back!

Footage today of the top floor of BTs.

Edit: Can't get the Instagram reel to work, it was posted by Discover Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

100% I think this part of the season is often underrated.

Curling up with a book,blanket and a hot chocolate with no pressure. xmas bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm tempted to look before I see the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭tscul32

Growing up, I had sibling birthdays on Dec 23 and Jan 7 so that was our holiday period. Coincided with school hols too. Now my own all have birthdays in the season too so it's always a bit hectic, last one on Jan 8.

Have to do my brothers's wedding cake for the end of next month, then I'll get cracking on the Christmas cakes and the season can become real for me. Cookie doughs and pastry in the freezer and menus drawn up, although I think this year we may be invited elsewhere for the main event, and myself and the OH are beyond excited!!

Always chaotic until the 25th then chilling until kids are back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Wow, that must be a busy period having birthdays mixed in with Christmas!

You know I prefer the build up really than the week after and I prefer a week off beforehand than during Christmas. In work, we have to try work it out amongst ourselves in terms of leave planning so i nearly always end up off beforehand. I don't have my own house so i dont mind too much being in the office with my decorations! It tends to be a great time to catch up in work also. One year I did have it off though and I absolutely loved it.

I am v curious about the vintage BT stuff too. I must have a look. I hope they don't suddenly make my cheap retro type decorations dear though! I doubt they'll be having foil bells in there though somehow.

I just logged on to say that it was so dark this morning. I'm working from home so didn't have to get up early but woke at 7.30am thinking it must be 5am or something because it was dark! The evenings are drawing in too even on bright days. Love this time of year. Mid Aug to end of Dec I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We are the same, we have a birthday on December 27th so the Christmas period is busy between getting ready, Christmas Eve is all prep, we normally do Christmas dinner in our house with my parents, then go to my parents on St. Stephen's Day with my siblings & their families, then home to bake a cake & prep for birthday party the next day. By the time the 28th comes around, all we want to do is sit on the couch & stuff our faces - even though we do be a bit sick of food by then lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭pigtail33

A few pics from the Christmas Shop in BTs. Loving the look of the colourful tree, it's like a high-end version of the tree in my parents house, lots of colour and a mish mash of all sorts of decorations. I wonder will it make a comeback.

Just found a short video of it on their Twitter feed too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭tscul32

That's what ours always looks like. Just a mix of whatever decorations we've got ove the years, all different shapes and colours and nothing matches. Wouldn't have it any other way 😁

Miserable weather today. I've a cubs camping trip in Cavan this weekend and looks like it'll be a wash out. Lots of spare socks coming with us.

Anyone got a spare ark they can borrow? Need something to battle this rain.

Some night out - I'm dying to get the fire going only it's not quite cold enough yet!

I'm staring at my unlit stove and it's causing me pain

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's my problem also. When we light ours it's great for heating the water and you can have a nice bath with candles and listen to the rain hit the widow. I find it very relaxing. i haven't had a bath since late April/early May.

Please note I have showed.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

Haha sounds like you need the colder weather more than any of us, FP 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭BK5

Work do last night, in other words. Session. Just starting to come to life but great night. Weather was unbelievably bad last night though.

Advertisement