Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eddie2008

If you sell your house first, the solicitor can draw on the sale of house funds for the contracts deposit. If you are doing it in tandem and the sale of the house is not complete when the contracts are signed...there lies the problem. Perhaps in your case, your house is expected to be sold when contracts are signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

That’s it, we need to be out first before funds can be sent for the rest of the deposit. It’s awkward but a lot of people would be on the same boat I’d imagine. Lucky I’ve the in laws to move into for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

What kind of fixtures, fittings and appliances can you expect in a new home these days? Was about to sign for a house when our contract had TBD on fixtures and fittings so my solicitor sent it back. What should I expect? I know there will be built in appliances such as dishwasher, fridge and oven but that's all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Are the appliances included, or just the built-in space for them?

Your builder will have those details. Generally, they'll have a single style and you have no choice, or they'll give you an allowance for items.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anyone know if Avant do 90% mortgages? Broker sent a note about looking at them for a mortgage before going on holidays but I thought you needed more than a 10% deposit to qualify for a mortgage with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Yep they do 90% mortgages. For FTBs anyway not sure on second time buyers. Have found them generally quite quick also. Defo worth a look. Think their lowest fixed rate is around 3.75 or 3.8 at the minute which is pretty good comparatively. The CCPC website has a good mortgage comparison tool to check your options, reliable and up to date etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

Currently bidding on a 4 bed property in Athgarvan that needs minimum of 70k of work done. Original asking 310k with the current bid at 430k (with more expected).

That to us is insane and seems to be a frenzy level of bidding war so we are now thinking of just sitting and watching the market for next 12 months or so.

When actually drawing down your mortgage.. and all conditions are met. Do the bank ask for more payslips/statements? In all likelihood I won’t be drawing down any loan until end of September at the earliest. But loan offer was approved and pack sent on the 2nd of August. We provided new payslips and all that jazz then, like marriage cert etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

No should not be required at all if pack has been sent and everything is moving along, if there was some unusual hold up taking months and months then perhaps they may ask again, end of year/new year but would not see any need if you would be drawing down End of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

If they have sent a final offer letter that is a legal contract. Interest rate might vary but they should set out specifically any conditions to drawdown. There should not be any checks on payslips I would think after offer letter issued

That’s what I thought. No need for more checks just sign away. Hopefully there’s no more rate hikes!!

Thanks, everything in terms of mortgage protection and home insurance all set up! Just need to sell here, pay off the couple of loans as they’re conditions and we’re good to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Co. Kildare right. That is insane. Bidding is insane.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

Yes Kildare. We are mortgage approved for alot higher than the current bid of 430k so we could easily go higher.

On cooler reflection tonight i think the fact property are being overbid is by this amount is a big red flag (for us at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I totally agree with you. Go with your gut instinct.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

430k for a fixer upper is nuts in Athgarvan. Second hand homes are going for crazy money, particularly in Kildare. Went to view a cramped 3 bed that was more 2.5 bed in Kildare recently. Estate agent was expecting it to go 40-50k plus above asking. I didn't believe it was worth the asking. Bids are now 70k+ above asking. They would get a much nicer new build for less than that in the same area. Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Prices around Maynooth and Celbridge are eye-watering, but a lot of vendors are expecting more than what their properties are realistically worth.

Some panic bidding is definitely occurring also, no doubt about that. This is leading to purchasers bidding on several properties at once in an attempt to secure a home, also pushing prices up for everyone.

Viewed in Leixlip yesterday, average 3bed semi, fixer upper, asking price 449, 000. Auctioneer told us that this house was back on the market again, after two previous bidders were outbidding each other with funds they didn't actually have. Bidding went over the 500 000, but neither bidder were able to carry their offer through.

Bidding went up to 460 000 in a matter of minutes. I placed a bit of 465 000, have no mortgage, ready to close the sale on my own house. Vendor went with the 460 000 bid, as FTBs, and ready to move in now. Wouldn't wait for us to close the sale on our own home. Our solicitor advised us against signing over our own home until we have at least gone SA on a property for ourselves.

Maybe the best thing for us is to close the sale on our house now. The purchasers in fairness are very patient thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bluefox556

Our purchase timeline buying new build from from City Council:

Put booking deposit down January 20th.

Contracts issued on 8th of May.

Solicitor queries took a long time to get answers and was happy for us to sign.

Finally our signed contracts were sent back 8th Aug subject to two outstanding items.

Waiting now for those two outstanding items and exchange of contracts to hopefully get a move in date or at least a rough idea soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You bought a new build from the council? Is it one of the affordable schemes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Bluefox556

Looks like we’ll have to pull out of our purchase!! I’ve been chasing for 10 days the Vendors EA and solicitor without an answer, but got one today. The vendors purchase of a new home(sale agreed before we went sale agreed on their property) has fallen through today! 6 weeks after the sales advice notice went to my solicitor. The vendor then asks can we hold on!! We’ve people wanting to buy our place since the start of June!

my questions tomorrow when the EA rings me. How long has the vendor known of this issue.. why wasn’t I informed immediately and are we being taken for a ride!

this house started out at €400k

reduced all the way down to €349k until we bid they accepted €355k when a historic bidder bid against us to €349k.

im just not trusting anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Sorry to hear that, not a nice experience at all.

Same kind of thing happened to us except it was the sale of our own house which fell through when we were already sale agreed on another property.

If you really like the house you are sale agreed on and are willing to wait it might be worth it in the long run. You may lose your own purchasers but it could be a relatively quick process to find new buyers (it took us about 4 weeks to go sale agreed on our house the second time around). Overall it added about 3 extra months to the process.

Not an easy decision either way, best of luck

We were thinking of asking our purchasers to extend out a small bit more. They’re in a good position where they need to give notice to the landlord. Now they won’t give notice until we sign the contracts to sell.

on a separate note are all EA terrible communicators?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

The estate agent for our sale was terrible for keeping up with things, but the estate agent for our purchase was very on top of things.

So really depends who you get I suppose

Update, EA got back to me, we had a good chat, explained the vendors new purchase fell through about 10 days ago. Notified EA Friday by email. They’re viewing 3 houses this week and one is with the EA she’s selling her house with. He was saying she’s 100% wanting out and wants to sell. Said he’s optimistic about tomorrow’s viewing with the vendor. It’s eased pressure for us in terms of that but the sale of ours I don’t know how long I can put it off for

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Shake head, shake head, percentage of price profit. The EA is NOT YOUR FRIEND, they make their money off you

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We found that the EAs were 50% more interested in you as a buyer when your house is sale agreed and 100% more interested in you when you have gone sale agreed.

Its better to have yours sold and done so you can go in saying you are waiting in nothing. Gives you a huge advantage. But its a hard and squeeky bum thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Would concur with this. The EA have a scale - Cash Buyer no 1 and a sliding scale after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Currently bidding on a house and near my max.

I always planned on setting €10k aside for furnishing and minor repairs and I am really conflicted over dipping into that to get sale agreed.

Advertisement