Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It shares the same culture as the majority feeling the middle east so why do people flee to a rocky outcrop on the periphery of Europe if they seek protection.

Ehh, the answer to that question seems a bit obvious? Because the people fleeing from neighbouring countries and even Saudi itself, don’t share the same culture and don’t share the same values and are fleeing persecution for not doing so. They share more in common with their fellow countrymen and women who are living in countries in the West, and in particular a rocky outcrop on the periphery of Europe where they can avail of protection without fear of persecution. They’re less likely to be persecuted in Ireland than they are in France, Germany, the UK or the US for example. That’s why they come here, because there are people who are like them here already who aren’t forced to pretend to adopt the host countries traditions and cultural values in order to be treated as equals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

They’re coming here because they’re essentially using the asylum route as a means to get a de facto working visa. Example given earlier of Georgian earning €700 as a labourer, while getting his €38.80 weekly allowance, living in an IP centre getting free bed and board free healthcare, no household bills… any money earned was sent home to the wife back in Georgia. Well, it’s not like he needs it here.

Worst case, they can come here to earn this kind of money while all living expenses are being paid for by the state…might be deported eventually, though that’s extremely unlikely. Best case, they will get leave to remain here where the extended family can come and join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Once he gets that golden ticket social house for €50 a week he’s made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Have we ever had an answer to why certain posters just post lies after lies over and over?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

A follow on question then would be why is it not mostly women and children coming here.

Men stay and fight and women and children flee during wars.

But we are to believe all the men are fleeing and women and children are staying at home to fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭suvigirl

oh yeah? Which wars exactly?

I'm guessing you don't know much about wars, conflicts or anyone fleeing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The young and old stay behind because its safe. The unsafe part of the operation is the journey the young men take to reach the west.

When the men get settled they apply for their family and relatives to come over through safe legal systems. The process is called reunification.

When people tell you the men on boats are fleeing wars , they are not just lying to you but are insulting your intelligence as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Now it's "your children are racists"! The IT slam-bang in the middle of their comfort zone here and the Welness section is giving us both barrels. I hope you are feeling educated ;-)

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/your-wellness/2023/08/16/im-worried-about-my-16-year-old-son-and-his-right-wing-views/

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

People are far too concentrated on the effects of the problem rather than the problem itself.

Depopulation is the only thing that can possibly work in reducing the effects of overcrowding.

Laser specific migration control where only genuinely necessary, bona-fide migrants are given leave to remain. Doctors, yes. Baristas, no. Unemployed? Give me a break.

Non renewable ending of current visas for everyone else fluting about.

The English school thing is a joke. Another story this morning of handfuls of migrants being robbed of deposit money. Terrible in itself. But how in the name of jaysus are there STILL more people moving here?

Actionable deportation of illegal migrants.

Ring fencing of social housing for irish people already here. The very idea that somebody from elsewhere needs to take up a social housing unit is exemplary in being net negative.

We've already become uncomfortably comfortable with the idea that hotels are now overflow population accommodation. The next thing being teased are giant floating barges. Enough. Whatever agreement or bits of paper that this lunacy is based upon is to simply be rejected. Yes, you can do anything you like, and especially when not doing so is literally a net negative. Needs must.

And so on and so forth.

The country is suffering overpopulation, and it is relatively easily rectified. Within a year or two I'd be confident that a reduction of 80k could be achieved, and that's the equivalent of an entire extra limerick city, with a city's resources, being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are no wars in:

Albania

Georgia

India

South Africa

USA

The AS from these places are not fleeing anything, they are making bogus claims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Refugees can seek asylum for all sorts of reasons : war, natural disaster, famine, racial, ethnic or religious discrimination in their own country, sexual discrimination, people fleeing criminal gangs, people fleeing an authoritarian regime etc Literally anyone who is displaced and has to move country can be considered a refugee.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And economic reasons as we've found out over the last few decades

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Aaargh more silliness....What are you talking about the moon in relation to population density?

I thought about answering this post as if it was serious, but really think, you are either taking the pvss or a little overwhelmed by being allowed to post in a thread and its affected your reasoning.. So either way a waste of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It’s also the prerogative of the host country to deny claims for asylum for all sorts of reasons, particularly the spurious claims so prevalent in this country.

And so on and so forth.. Lol!

Are people here buying this nonsense from this poster over and over.. Same post written in a few different ways over the last five or so pages of the thread...

That is actually true, but should that come as a surprise to anyone? Many of the refugees who fled Ireland in the 1840s for America could technically be classed as economic migrants as well in that they chose a country with economic opportunities - but that in no way invalidated their claim to be a refugee.

Just because a person genuinely flees a war or a famine or a natural disaster doesn't prelude them also having aspirations to better themselves and make a life for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But in 1840 they weren't refugees,

Occupiers of illegal stolen lands maybe

To bring it back to the present, yes, quite a few asylum seekers turn out to be 'economic migrants' only and not real refugees. But these are the ones who usually have their asylum claim rejected by the authorities, so I'm not sure where the problem is. They can't be turned back at the airport or port, as Immigration have no way of knowing if they are a genuine refugee or not just by looking at them.

"Allowed to post" am I?

You aren't bothered trying to reply, is that it, while replying? Empty words.

I have no problem brushing away your idiotic arguments. Guess why.

You're caught out, you have no argument. And there's a simple reason for that: you're on the wrong side of truth and you're left with nothing but frustrated appeals to censorship.

I have a well thought out argument that is easily defended. That's what tends to happen with truth.

Go ahead and report me. Again, more than likely.

We are overpopulated, and thats that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well he's not wrong that the country is overpopulated but not because we don't have the space. It's overpopulation in relation to health and education, policing services etc.

We need to fix these issues and quickly.

• Advertisement

He’s completely wrong in saying the country is overpopulated. There’s no such thing as overpopulation in relation to health, education, policing services etc. Those issues are the result of population density - a concentration of people in the capital putting an increasing demand on resources, while the the same level of demand simply does not exist outside the capital. Outside the capital is the opposite problem - there’s not the same population density so resources are pooled into a common area, and people have to travel to get to them.

The way to address the issues is to invest in infrastructure in rural areas, but what Government are doing is putting the horse before the cart and increasing the number of people in these areas, without the infrastructure needed to support future increases in demand for infrastructure and services.

It won’t be resolved quickly, there hasn’t been a need to resolve the issue for the best part of the last few decades, and it’ll take decades before there is any significant change. The one thing I really hope not to see is those plastic containers they’re calling ‘modular homes’ dotted around the country like halting sites which councils will have no interest whatsoever in maintaining. Because that’s who will be responsible for maintaining them - councils, who have historically let their housing stocks become derelict rather than spending the money to maintain them and make them habitable for humans.

The other issues you mentioned will be dealt with on a continuing basis in just as haphazardly and knee-jerky a fashion as before, because forward-planning and development are not high priorities outside of urban areas. Hell they’re not even high priorities in urban areas, but they’re seen to somewhat quicker for triage at least!

"There’s no such thing as overpopulation in relation to health, education, policing services etc. Those issues are the result of population density - a concentration of people in the capital putting an increasing demand on resources, while the the same level of demand simply does not exist outside the capital."

Erm, you say there is no such thing as overpopulation in relation to health, education or policing services and then explain that it's exactly the problem? 😁

No, I said population density was the problem, that’s not overpopulation. The services could be provided if Government weren’t more interested in doing so in what appears to be the most short-sighted, immediate term, inefficient way possible. In trying to resolve the issues quickly, as you suggest, which is how they’ve always done things, they are yet again making a complete balls of it and ruining any chance for future development outside of the capital city.

You said in your last post, and I completely agree, that they aren't doing it right in the capital either.

I was always of the opinion that those people in government were intelligent enough. I'm not into politics but what I seen during COVID showed me how stupid most of these people are. I don't understand how Leo Varadker qualified as a doctor, I can see that years upon years of experience doesn't improve the performance of a dunce, I'm referring to Micheal Martin. And then you have somebody who takes every opportunity to attack everybody in government showing a great example of stupidity by going to a packed funeral in the middle of COVID and unsurprisingly contracting it.

These are the people we are reliant upon to get things right. I don't think we have any hope.

Tbh I do understand how Leo qualified as a doctor, but more relevant is that he’s an incredible politician, running rings around Micheal, Eamonn and co. It’s not just Leo is making these decisions though, it’s more the job of civil servants, and they’re just as interested in feathering their own nests and looking after the people in their networks than they have any interest whatsoever in the running of the country as a whole.

It’s why when the idea of decentralisation was mooted the first time by way of moving Government departments out of Dublin, a lot of money was spent on the idea before it pretty much came to nothing a few years later:

Many countries have attempted to relocate civil servants, and of course we have also tried it in the past. The most recent example in the Irish case, was Charlie McCreevy’s proposal in 2003, where he floated his idea of decentralisation just hours before the 2004 Budget. In the then Minister for Finance's plan, 10,300 civil and public servants were to relocate from Dublin to 53 locations in 25 counties. Since the plan was enacted back in 2004, only a third of the planned number of workers relocated, and it was subsequently abandoned in 2011 and considered a failure.

What to do when you fail at something the first time? Don’t learn anything from it and do exactly the same thing again, seems to be how Government works! 😒

The government will point to the Ireland 2040 plan as the intervention that will disrupt the pro-Dublin development bias. I have zero faith in this plan resulting in regional convergence and/or in its ability to meet the population growth targets it has set for areas outside of the Dublin city region. Let's recall some of the targets. Each of the provincial cities are expected to grow its population by between 50 and 60%, i.e. at more than twice the rate of Dublin. The NPF growth target for Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford is two-and-a-half times the long-term historical growth ratefrom the past 50 years of these centres combined.

But despite the optimistic growth plans for areas outside Dublin, Ireland’s 2040 plan per capita spend at county level from 2018-2027 has Dublin receiving the highest. How will that help rebalance growth? Vast areas of the country are receiving very little, while provincial cities are receiving what I would argue are the wrong big ticket programmes for their current needs (i.e. roads leading to sprawl and dispersed development). The Ireland 2040 plan is also being implemented with largely an unchanged institutional top down approach, albeit with some implementation and oversight changes at regional assembly level. 

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2019/1007/1081547-why-ireland-needs-real-decentralisation/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

If all services in cities and suburbs are stretched beyond capacity, then there is an overpopulation issue. . Rural areas are rural for a reason. We grow stuff out there. Its farm land. Its a plant , insect and animal ecosystems. Its a tourist attraction. Rural areas produce air quality.

Wanting to lay concrete down left right and centre in the countryside , and push the natives out , so economic migrants have more resources for free housing in the cities is what you are really saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

You'd wonder why Irish homeless aren't getting free housing abroad as they've been displaced by economic reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭foxsake

what you say is correct regarding services etc..

but there is a troubling attitude that because there is "space" as in physical space we should allow half the world in

the population density argument is a joke. Ireland has natural beauty - which we drive tourism from - because of the low density population. We as Irish like this for the most part.

What galls me is the notion that people who live in an area have to accept an upheaval - which is what airdropping 100s of men into a community is - to their environment because the EU and the Irish Times say so.

Our lives matter and that includes our environment and surroundings which effects the quality of our lives .

We owe the world nothing definitely not Albania , Georgia, India , Pakistan and north africa.

the only people we should put ourselves out for are our fellow Irish , our immediate European neighbours and the Choctaw nation.

Post edited by foxsake on

Overpopulation generates gdp. It's the equivalent of super charging an engine, it will go faster but it will break quickly.

In step, overpopulation brings comes at huge cost in terms of quality of life, infrastructure and so.

At first glance it seems contradictory, but a minutes thought and it makes perfect sense.

Hence the Irish governments raving about gdp, while just about everyone else is looking around asking themselves "how is this a benefit?"

It isn't. The answer is that it isn't a benefit for society.

This trend must not only stop, it must be reversed as soon as possible.

The place is jammed with extra people hence hundreds turning up to a rental viewing, hence waiting lists for medical care, hence hotels used as overflow, hence lack of school places and so. The secondary effects of overpopulation are a drop off in necessary staff as working hours are increased, salary is insufficient for hyperinflation necessities, stress and so on, the staff leave. Now the problem is worse still.

It has nothing to do with density. Thats an entirely separate problem. A huge amount of extra people have arrived into a country that, evidently, did not and continues to not have capacity. Nearly a decade on, its safe to say this isn't going to change.

What is happening in the country is perfectly explainable. Its awkward but we better get over the awkwardness because it's getting worse.

• Advertisement

Again those are issues which we all have spoken about , but not because of " overpopulation " . That's just a strawman used by those who seek to 'get rid of the foreigners '.

The problems are because of years of neglect and inaction by government .

Exactly.

What is needed in this country is cross party agreement on issues such as housing health and education and apart from the odd hiccup which might necessitate a change in action by a government , a ten year plan should be put in place with a review every 3 to 5 years and no new government is given carte blanche to change said plan just because it suits on a whim or to garner votes .

It's this lack of progressive and coherent action, depending on whatever Minister is in power, that has our country in a heap lurching from crisis to crisis .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement