Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA 2K23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Got +2

I would have got Even for the round, but on the 18th in a rush to finish I guess, instead of pressing shot preview, I pressed X and launched the ball into the water directly in front 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

What an awful round, was going to come nowhere after the 7th hole anyway, but the 18th just confirmed that

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

I tried to set a decent target there for the final event but I don’t think it’ll be enough.

Already looking forward to future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭joficeduns1

Putter never got going for me in Boston. Was rusty going into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Romero

I finished Adare and just went "Fck this game" it is so frustrating that one or two holes can destroy your round especially on the green. Didn't help that I went into the water on my second shot on the first😭 At least with future events have two rounds you can try and make amends and improve your score, then again you might go +30😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Boston course front 9 is pretty ok. Back 9 was much more difficult. Very hard to get close to the pin as so many shots to the green were just short of club range putting you in danger of going into a bunker. Enjoyed it much more than Adare which was not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finished even on Boston, only thing stopping me way the swing, kept hooking to the left even if i hit it straight. I haven't had time to try the 3 click mode yet.

Anyway, 3 new events created, all 2 rounds ending in a top rated fantasy course so will see how these play out and if we need to go back to 1 rounds and/or shorten events to 2 days instead of 3.

Just approved CylonXIII let me know your boards name

Also bagogreen any one know who that is they are accepted but need to confirm in game.

Have you guys played around with the difficulty restrictions/settings much ?

The decision to have ‘swing timing’ turned on will lead to some big scores on random holes this maybe ruining interest ?

If you turn off ‘swing timing’ but increase ‘swing difficulty’ to ‘pro’ then I think it gives players a better chance to work on all the other aspects of the game and build more consistency.

Have ye already thrashed all this out before or have ye not talked about it ?

No but would be open to it because swing running is ruining the game for me. What does the swing difficulty then do? Is it a narrower line to make a straight shot? I'd much prefer concentrate on a straight down and up action instead of that AND a poxy speed motion.

• Advertisement

Yes.

If you just play a practice round, or a round on your career, you can play around with the settings but it’s exactly as you’ve said.

Turning the ‘timing’ off allows you to focus on the setup of your shot then your execution is totally related to keeping within the narrow white line of your swing.

You will want to increase the difficulty of swing depending on how you get on.

To be clear lads. I’m not coming in and asking for this.

I’m just thinking it could improve the experience for some.

That said, I’ve no doubt whatsoever that you can not improve and learn aspects of the game with the ‘timing’ turned on. It’s normally something you’d turn on when you’re an ‘expert’ and want to challenge yourself.

When ‘timing’ is turned off you will hit many more clean shots thus allowing you to learn how to allow for wind and general distance control as you will have more true shots for comparison.

I’m 100% easy either way because I rock anyway.

Post edited by fplfan12345 on

I'd be up for removing swing timing, what do others think? At the moment, I line up the shot, adjust for wind, spin etc and then "oh, you didn't time it perfectly? Well then that **** is gonna hook way off into the water".

Ok, for the Feel The Payne event starting tomorrow, I have turned off swing timing and set swing difficulty to pro am as a tester. Our first 2 round event as well so we should get a good feel if these settings work better or need adjusting.

The best way for ye to know what difficulty to set it on is to play a practice round and play the first 9 on ‘pro’ and depending on your experience then change it down to ‘pro am’ or up to ‘master’.

I think pro am will be too easy for you guys considering the scores you’ve hit with the timing on, albeit with difficulty set to amateur.

I would expect very low scores if difficulty is set to pro am (with timing off) but sure we’ll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is swing timing only on the stick function and not the 3 clicks. I couldn’t master the stick function at all and I used only that mode in the last version of PGA. 3 clicks mode is my current go to.

I don’t know the answer to your question but by turning off ‘timing’ then your experience with ‘the stick’ should reflect your previous PGA games.

Yeah hopefully this makes it so people don't HAVE to use 3 click if they don't want. I'd prefer to use swing but the timing is ridiculous. Shouldn't affect if you use 3 click. Will see how the next round goes anyway, if it's too easy, I'll up the difficulty.

Oh btw you know the way you can shape a shot say around a tree I can do that in career mode or practice round it shows me the flight path I take it that's turned off on purpose in the events? Also just to clarify we are moving from Amateur to ProAm settings for the next events as I've been doing my rounds on Amateur level

Sorry Romero, that should show the flight path when you add curve. I'll check those settings later. I thought all flight path was on.

And yes, trying Pro-am with swing timing turned off. Not sure how that will affect 3 click, will just need some feedback after next event.

• Advertisement

Sorry Romero, that should show the flight path when you add curve. I'll check those settings later. I thought all flight path was on.

And yes, trying Pro-am with swing timing turned off. Not sure how that will affect 3 click, will just need some feedback after next event.

I had a free 5 minutes and played the first hole of the new event. Hoo boy, pro-am is much trickier than amateur. I didn't think the lives would narrow that much, would hate to see what the higher difficulties are like. Anyway, this will be an interesting one, could very well be going back to amateur for the next event. It's great not having the timing though!

Romero, I checked the settings and can't see flight path for when you curve the ball. I think you're an admin, can you check the society settings?

Flight path was on when I played Boston last night!

We're talking about the blue line, right? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CylonXIII

Thanks for accepting the request, looking forward to propping up the leaderboard

Yeah. It’s the next event that has changed the mechanics.

Yeah but Romero said it wasn't showing up when you add curve to the ball. I haven't tried it yet (I've completely forgotten how,) but can't see an option for it.

Ok, finished my 2 rounds at +8. I felt like my shots were a lot less random due to the lack of swing timing, just need to get used to the narrower lines for a straight shot but at least it's skill based now instead of the randomness of timing. I still think 3 click will have an easier go of things but let me know how ye get on and whether ye used swing or click.

Oh okay, my bad, that's an aspect of golf games that I've never used! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I don't remember ever seeing the blue arc when adding curve but never really paid much attention. Hopefully will have some time this evening to play at least one round of the next event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Sent a request to join the society, fireballruss70 is my PSN name. Haven't played for a few months since I quit in frustration over the swing timing so glad to see that is turned off!

Advertisement