Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

It would appear so. I can see the licence fee renewals collapsing completely if he comes back to his morning slot. Or if he gets a high profile slot. Might be as well to stick him in a graveyard slot after Late Date till his contract runs out. Then not renew it.

Maybe he doesn’t get any abuse on the street? The vast majority of people don’t go around abusing and threatening people. It’s called manners and not being dragged up. If it does happen occasionally then I presume he just ignores it - all losers like that want is a reaction so they feel better about their own tragic and unhappy life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah I think people in a social setting are mostly polite and, to be fair, I’d say giving him a piece of one’s mind or abuse would just flow off him like water off a ducks back. If you have the kind of neck he seems to hate, a few random EDS giving you shite sounds like their problem more than yours 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love how they say he is coming back on less than 200k. Selling it like its a bargain for us, but since he stopped the LLS, 200k is still a fantastic wage for 1hr of work for day.

no matter what salary now I think it’s irrelevant. He may have technically not been found guilty of anything but I’d doubt anyone looking at this in an unbiased fashion can’t see what actually happened. It’s just unfortunate he found people at the top of RTE who were happy to collude with him instead of telling him he was free to walk away. Now given he’s said RTE is his only hope, you’d imagine it’d have been a straightforward negotiation. He’s toxic now. Simple as. There isn’t really any better way of RTE giving a giant two fingers to licence payers than bringing him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

When Ivan Yates said anyone could replace tuberty he obviously hasn't listened to Brendan courtney

worse presenter ever🤑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Expunge

I see Michael Parkinson has died at the age of 88.

Another one Tubs idolized but couldn't hope to emulate, coz he can't do a decent interview......... and he's useless........ and he has zero interest in most people. He'll miss being Chief Mourner on air for this one.

Parkinson was a terrible presenter. Let’s not get overly nostalgic. The past is a different country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

100%

I was listening to him for a bit this morning.

I think -unless I misheard-that he asked listeners to text in their favorite body part. Did I hear that correctly?

And what we all need more of-another interview about anxiety.

And sometimes they way he speaks? Like a teenager? An uplift at the end of a sentence? When it's not a question?

There seems to be an emptiness about him. Vastly uninteresting personality-unless you're into fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

So Parkinson was terrible, but you rate the self anointed Toyman as one of the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

There's an emptyness about a lot of them these days, the centre is hollowed out any any strain of indivuality, personality and spontaneity is spooned out and replaced with some wokey mixture which instills a fear of being cancelled for some mild utterance by the new church whose high priests and disciples are all around us ever ready to take offence and pounce ... There's nothing to them, might as well programme some AI robot to do their job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Scandalous suggestion, never mind outrageous to even propose letting him back.

The hour is easily filled as is. Someone who can do a slightly longer 'It says in the papers', followed a couple of songs, then maybe a short quiz - musical or topical, a couple of songs, a wee story/ interview from somewhere/ anywhere outside Dublin, a couple of songs and yer done. Easily within range of a staffer and commission the regional bits from local radio around the country.

No celebrity crap.

Tell Tubs to go sell his dubious wares elsewhere.

Agreed. I don’t understand the hoops that are being jumped through to renegotiate a new contract for this guy. We were told he was out of contract by RTE. He disputed this but evidently he was out if we’re to believe that contract negotiations are taking place now. The hour long morning show is continuing well enough despite his protracted absence. Why buy in more contractors you obviously don’t need. RTE don’t owe him a living. I genuinely do not get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Smell of desperation about Tubs. If he was half as talented and/or in demand as we are led to believe, he'd tell RTE to shove their 200K and go for the BG bucks he is supposedly entitled to.

He knows it's RTE or nothing, of course. Nobody else this side of the Atlantic would have him. Bakhurst should play hard ball and offer him 100K, no agents - take it or leave it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Rte Tubs announcement imminent apparently

He's back, isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'd say so, 'bye Ryan' doesn't take this length of time.

• Advertisement

Watch the licence fee revenue plummet! Anyone wavering would be decided if he’s back. Yeah the government could play hardball and throw defaulters in jail but with an election in the offing in the next 18-24 months, they won’t want to be seen to be a-holes either.

Just seeing a newsflash now saying there are no plans to have RT back on air. Good outcome. Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

"At this time" doesn't mean he's not coming back though.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Tubridy has gotten the bullet

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

True. Very cynical though if they just keep him on ice to return when the coast is clear.

That was my first thought too, plus it says RTÉ presenting which doesn't rule out return altogether either.

Time to change the thread title!!!

RTE Radio 1: Not The Ryan Tubridy Show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Red Fred

All he has to do now is sit back and wait to be snapped up.

Advertisement