Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’ve often found the first run or few runs after a break are tougher than expected and legs like lead. You probably ate and drank a bit on holiday too so getting back to normal now. Are you fuelling enough? I agree with SB and probably no point doing Frank Duffy. It will be of no benefit. Do an LSRi stead and fuel well, go nice and slow and hopefully you’ll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tribal Wardfare

Week 6 & 7 Update (never got around to updating last week)

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

Week 6 did the usual 5 days running/ 1 day cross / 1 day rest

Week 7 I took 2 days rest/ ran 5 days. One reason was that my cross training gym class was not on for the Bank Holiday Monday but I also noticed my right knee starting to feel weak after the runs. I haven't been tracking the mileage on my runners as well as I should have and noticed they were a bit more worn than I expected. Managed to get a new pair on Friday before the LSR and my knee is starting to feel stronger after every run. I'll keep close attention to it and have it looked at if it isn't 100% by the weekend.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?  

Week 6 the pacing was good and was very comfortable on the LSR on the Saturday. I have been doing parts of the Marathon course just because I am the sort of person that will be better prepared mentally knowing what is around the next corner. This week I went Templeogue/ Milltown/ Roebuck Road/ UCD piece.

Week 7 the pacing was OK. I am finding myself questioning my pace on the MP runs and if I will be able to do it for the full Marathon. I was doing that before the Fingal 10k and I was surprised at how well I felt running that day and it helped me settle back into training. I am hoping the 10 mile this week will settle me again for a few weeks. For the LSR, I changed my route to go through Dublin City/ Patrick St/ Manor St/ into Phoenix Park and out to Walkinstown. I was definitely more tired finishing the 14m on this part of the route than the 16m doing the second half of the marathon route last week. It was only LSR so I had energy left but I could definitely feel a difference. I know someone suggested going slower on the first part of the Marathon due to warming up and the incline and I am really glad for the tip and think it would suit me better to run that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Pacers for 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 mins. I’ll be one of the 90 min. balloons. If anyone ends up in the group, do say hello. 👋

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Went to organise myself and do an ingredients list for the energy balls. Turns out I had ALL the ingredients at home! That never happens. So here they are! Thanks again @Kellygirl for the recipies.

I'm so stressed out today I could go out and lash an mp run out of it. But, I'll practice discipline - at least a few strides will be nice. Roll on the end of school summer hols!! 😵😆😵‍💫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For those with Garmin watches, there's a PacePro feature available in the web-based Garmin Connect which will allow you to design a pacing strategy based on the exact Frank Duffy 10 Mile course which will take into account elevation changes and your preferred approach to hills.

To use this, follow this link - Copy of Frank Duffy 10 Mile - and then "Create PacePro Strategy" from bottom right.

Once you've created it, select Send to Device, sync using the phone app (I think) and then when you're about to start a Run activity, hold the left middle button, select Training, PacePro Plans, and there it is.

This is the first time I've used this and can't vouch for it or the course (although it looks right compared to the official route PDF) but I'm going to try it out in case it comes in useful for The Big Day.

This is the instruction page for PacePro for my watch (Forerunner 265) and there ought to be similar for whatever you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've been off work for the last week or so and it's actually been so much harder to get the runs done! Who would have thought I'd nearly be looking forward to going back to work 😅

Was tired from last week anyways, had 7k in the morning, followed by driving up to Dublin and spending the day in the zoo and IKEA and then late home. We even rearranged this trip to make it not on my medium length run day.

Getting up this morning for the 12k was a challenge! And now my legs are really feeling it! Just hoping they can recover a bit by the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

How likely is it that you'd be able to grab 2 water bottles at a single drinks station on race day? 10x250mls at the drinks stations doesn't sound like enough at the rate I'm going through water, although it is summer I suppose.

They're fab! 👌🏽 Did you say you brought them out on runs? Do they not go all melty?

• Advertisement

We're going on a little break end of month to Waterford and honestly all I'm thinking about is getting the runs in. First family holiday since youngest was born during pandemic. Send thoughts & prayers 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

So, I did this last year and I didn't find it a great experience. I would be fairly handy at keeping on top of my pace and effort on a run and during races but thought I'd give the pace pro a go on the day and set it up exactly how I wanted to run the race. I found it quite a bit distracting compared to just usual pace and HR. Eventually I switched it off. It's a good idea and with plenty of practice I think it could be beneficial but for a first marathon I think it's a bit of overkill. It would be better to just work off effort and pace imo.

Everyone is different and if you got in the practice and found it really useful then go for it but for me it didn't work and was just something else to worry about!

Go and enjoy your holiday, it's well deserved and you've put in a serious shift to date. As it sounds like it's only a short break then you won't miss to much and if you can get a little on then bonus or work the sessions in beforehand then even better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I actually have a running chassis that attaches to our buggy seat. Bought it as a present for other half when he first took up running. Cost 400€. Used thrice! 🙈🙈🙈

Oh don't worry @MisterJinx, I will. Sooo looking forward to it.

Beach runs will be the order of the day, if we can fit them in 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Perfect opportunity. 👍🏾

My kids used to enjoy the runs assuming they didn't just fall asleep. It gets demotivating when they start to talk though

"why are you running so slowly Dad" 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Useful to have the course and elevation profile anyway, thanks!

My basic Garmin doesn't support uploading the strategy 😝

Still coughing away here so not sure I'll get to run at any pre-planned pace anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Thanks for this! Never knew there was such a feature 😊. Just a heads up that it looks to be the old Frank Duffy route. The old route went along the North Road behind the zoo and finishes after a climb up Upper Glen Road whereas the new route goes back up the avenue including a lap of the 15 acres. It finishes after doing the Ordnance Survey / Furze triangle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Hi @Lumen I think your map is a little off. Run goes down to Knockmarron Gate and back up just after mile 1. Race doesnt go behind Zoo. Miles 5,6&7 are a triangular path. I am actually trying to redraw myself on Garmin. If i get it sorted I will share it here. Great idea.

Hi to all, I've done a few marathons in my time but its been 10 years since my last. I am out of retirement to help my wife get round and have found myself back at this thread to remember how to do it all. I must get her to sign up to this page....Best of luck to all doing the Fran Duffy on Sat. We will be aiming for the 90 min balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

I'd caution against using this feature in any race situation to be honest. I set it up for DCM last year thinking it would help keep me on track, but I realised very quickly that I was making decisions based upon what my watch was telling me instead of what my body and head were saying. I switched screens after a few hundred meters and ignored the feature.

Just looking back at last years data - my first km was 12 seconds slower than what I had set in the strategy, mostly because of traffic and a few nerves. I remember feeling under pressure thinking I needed to make up time somewhere, so I decided to just ignore it and use my normal training screen.

Remember as well that none of us have any idea of conditions on the day will be like. I actually remember running the Crumlin road a few weeks before the marathon last year where it was calm and overcast as I started up the road, but by the time I got to the hospital, there was a howling wind and driving rain. On the day itself it was again calm for me but I heard it got difficult about 45 mins later. You'll need to figure those things out as you go, so again, just be careful relying upon the tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Weekly update.

Did I do all my runs.

Yes did seven runs wed 10k at mp pace and Saturday 5k at tempo Sunday long rung was a hm at 2:15 which was a new pb by 20mins I ran it with an avg hr of 120 I think I'll need to race a hm to get an idea of my marathon time as I think 4:30 maybe too easy but at the same time I really don't want to blow up.

Were all runs at the right pace.

Yes recovery runs pace has really slowed I'm running at about 7 minute km at hr below 110 feels really easy on the lungs but about right for the legs given I'm running every day.

Feeling good at the moment I've been upping the lsr each week for 3 weeks so may step back this week before pushing up again to 24km. I'm losely following the hh plan.

OK, so the consensus here is that Garmin PacePro is more trouble that it's worth. Thanks!

Continuing the approach that the best way to get good information on the internet is to post bad, I'll share my pacing strategy for Saturday, which is (tells self) just a bit of fun.

Inspired by this article, my plan is:

• First 10k at 5:00/km, 4 seconds/km slower than half-marathon pace guesstimated from my recent-ish 10k PB.
    • Kms 11,12,13 at 4:50/km, 10s/km slower than my 10k PB pace.
    • Kms 14 & 15 at 4:40/km, my 10k PB pace.
    • Final km at 4:20/km, my 5k PB pace, which will probably feel like a sprint of death.

...the end result of which would be 1:18 dead.

I'm not sure (@Murph_D ?) whether the pacers will be running even splits (adjusted for hills) or negative splits, but given that the forecast is wet and windy I'll be looking for the biggest lad in the 80 min group to shelter behind for the first 10km and not worry if the actual pace is a bit slower.

I have the usual nervousness about the absurd hubris of writing down a target time, but this is a safe space, right? Riiiight? 😀

Welcome and great to have you join in. Do tell your wife to get on board, it's great to know others are going through the same thing and also to fire in the questions and get some of the information on the course and strategies etc as we get closer to the day itself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I never signed up for Tullamore half before it sold out, so I guess I'm just doing a race pace training run!

I know there are plenty of half marathons I could do, but I think I'd prefer to stick to the runs as per the plan than try juggle to fit it in somewhere else

I'll try treat it like a race as much as I can.

The medieval marathon is on in Kilkenny the weekend before the Dublin HM and in addition to the half has the, eh, intriguing option of 30k.

It'd be like the 20m run scheduled for the weekend before but with added clapping 😂

edit: for avoidance of doubt I'm not planning on racing 30k 🤣

Post edited by Lumen on

• Advertisement

The weekend before the DC half, not the full. So it just brings forward by one week the race you'd be doing anyway.

Advertisement