Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I understand where most of the arguments over trans athletes and their physical advantages come from but … Chess?

”The world’s top chess federation has ruled that transgender women cannot compete in its official events for females until a review of the situation is made by its officials”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can imagine the jokes about the queens gambit doing the rounds already 😂

That apparently includes stripping former winners of titles if they later transition. I wonder how the Caitlyn Jenner fans feel about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Do you not notice that this is already the subject of several posts in this thread? Do you bother reading other people's posts at all?

Do you think Jenner should be stripped of titles she won as a man?

• Advertisement

No, a biological male who won Olympic medals fair and square in a men's competition should not be stripped of said medals.

I agree, chess winners shouldn’t be stripped of their titles.

????

How. Surely you’re not going to tell me that an exception exists for Jenners titles but not these Chess titles.

More knee-jerk nonsense from you.

If a woman changes her gender to a man, and thereafter competes as a man, they will no longer be ranked #1 woman in the world (or whatever). That's common sense. You can't hold the rank of #1 woman in the world if you're now competing as a man.

The reality is that someone like you would whine about "misgendering" if people continued referring to the "transman" as #1 woman in the world.

• Advertisement

Not quite. Their international ranking remains unchanged, it’s the title however, would change, for what has to be the most blatant example of indicating to women that the organising body considers women inferior that I’ve ever seen an officiating body just come out and say it. They’re French though, so there’s that 😂

Polgar is widely regarded as the world’s greatest women’s player. As noted in a 2010 report from NPR, she never competes in women’s events and has earned the gender-neutral title of Grandmaster. According to the FIDE’s new guidelines, a woman who earned a women’s title could have it transferred to a gender-neutral one.

The issue is that women’s titles are considered less valuable by the FIDE, so a Woman Grandmaster wouldn’t be tranferred a general Grandmaster.

“The abolished women title may be transferred into a general title of the same or lower level (e.g., Woman Grand Master may be transferred into FIDE Master, Women’s International Master into Candidate, etc.)”

A player’s international rating, however, will remain unchanged.

Sex haracteristics determine eligibilty for sex based sports caegories. Religous characteristics have zero impact on elgibility criteria for sex categories. Spiritulity -characteristics have zero impact on elgibility criteria for sex categories. Sexual prefernce characteristics have zero impact on elgibility criteria for sex categories. Star sign characteristics have zero impact on elgibility criteria for sex categories. And similarly gender characteristics have zero impact on elgibility criteria for sex categories.

If you think any of those characteritics have sufficient impact on sports performance that they justify the creation of sports categories then feel free to bring your arguments to the relevant governing bodies. However they will still have no impact on the existing sex based categories. In the same way that age catogires and weight categories exist side by side with sex categories. They are still irrelevant to eligibilty to sex categories though.

Feel free to to convince someone to spend their time determining the impact of possesion of a gender recognition certificate has on sports performance. In the real world we live in I very much doubt that any sane rational person would waste their time doing so, unless they enjoy the feeling of being laughed out of reasarched funding committees.

Could you outline which documented sports performance advantages held by athletes who have been through male puberty will be mitigiated by ataining agender recognition certificate please. It would also be useful to outline the mechanism of this miticagtion which the gedner recognition certificate would confer.

Could you provide refernce for these people you claim are studying the influneces of gender (as opposed to sex) on sports performance please.

If the rules allowed Jenner to enter the competition at the time then she should not. And I'll apply that to all athletes who compete withing the rules at the time of competing.

Since Jenner is male sex she was perfectly entitled to compete in the male sex category.

Now that I have directly answere you question can you answer mine instead of running away from it like a scalded cat.

So you think Jenner should be stripped of her professional titles?

I take this to mean you also agree it’s peculiar and untoward to strip chess winners of their titles under the same circumstances as Jenner - they won as a cis male and later become a trans woman. It doesn’t make any sense to me to strip any of them of their titles.

I actually agree with you there on reading what you have quoted. That's some very bizarre looking logic from FIDE. I don't know enough about the relationships between ranking, titles and (sex or gender, depending on which definition they use) to know if there is some underlying logic there. But unless there is some proven performance advantage for males over females it would appear to be pretty bad alright.

Now, see how easy it is to give a straight answer! Please try doing that when you reply to my questions rather than ignoring it and running away like a scalded cat

Thanks. Yeah I get them wanting to reevaluate their trans competition rules going forward but it seems nonsensical, kneejerk even, and a bit vindictive and culture warrish to strip former winners of the title at this juncture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

A Women's Grandmaster title (WGM) is not the same as a Grandmaster (GM) title. The requirements are much lower; a WGM isn't just a GM who happens to be a woman.

A female player can be get a GM title in the exact same way a male player can. The lesser WGM title is a separate thing entirely - for example the rating threshold is 200 points lower (2300 v 2500) and the norm requirements are similarly lower. So a WGM absolutely doesn't get to be a GM simply by deciding they're male.

In fact, a WGM is roughly similar in strength to an FM (2300 being the rating threshold in both cases, broadly speaking) and a WIM is comparable to a CM (2200). So where the article says -

“The abolished women title may be transferred into a general title of the same or lower level (e.g., Woman Grand Master may be transferred into FIDE Master, Women’s International Master into Candidate, etc.)”

- what I presume it says is a female WGM who decides they're a man would not be able to keep the WGM title (having decided they're not a woman any more) but would be allowed the FM title (which is a general title of roughly similar status, and which they've likely earned anyway).

Why is it 200 points lower? Are there actual sexual differences they've highlighted in performance

Could you provide refernce for these people you claim are studying the influneces of gender (as opposed to sex) on sports performance please.

I could, but as you suggested this is the real world and while others will likely disagree, I like to think of myself as a sane and rational person who isn’t going to waste my time on something that it wouldn’t take you two seconds to search for on Google provided you were actually interested in finding out that information for yourself.

It would simply be a fools errand to provide you with any more entertainment at this point considering you’ve already gone out of your way to undermine everything I’ve presented thus far, your most egregious example being that when I presented evidence of women being harassed in sports, your rebuttal consisted of your not having witnessed it among your peer group, as though if you don’t acknowledge it, it doesn’t exist, or it’s irrelevant.

By the same logic I could have easily suggested you bring your issues with organisations policies to the relevant authority, but I didn’t, at least not so far, because that’s just silly and it’s a shìtty thing to say to anyone who feels that something is unfair, like it’s not the most obvious course of action in any case that would have occurred to them already.

In the case in Canada, the people you need to waste your time with are the Canadian Powerlifting Union, the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport and the Canadian Government. I don’t suggest you’ll be laughed out of the room as I’m not interested in discouraging you from your efforts, I wish you good luck with it 👍

The Canadian Powerlifting Union only recently updated their trans inclusion policy to emphasize that surgery, hormone therapy or even a doctor’s note would not be a requirement for trans athletes to compete in the category consistent with their gender ID. 

“Trans athletes should be able to participate in the gender with which they identify, regardless of whether or not they have undergone hormone therapy,” it reads.

The guidelines hewed extremely close to the official trans recommendations developed by the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, a group funded almost exclusively by the federal government.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trans-woman-shatters-female-weightlifting-record/wcm/de70c810-7d61-44a4-9b9c-315fc1e5dab9/amp/

Because it's a different title entirely. You may as well ask why the FIDE Master title (FM) is 200 points lower than the GM title.

I think the separate Women's titles were brought in to encourage more women to play. But female players can (and do, albeit at a much lower rate) get the standard GM/IM/FM/CM titles too.

Thanks for that. I suspected that the reasoning would be something like that alright (from my limited understanfing of chess ranking). Do you know the reasoning behind having different awards/ award levels base on whether a player is male or female? That's where more the area that has me questioning the logic, as from my outsider's perspective I can't see why theses differences should/would exist in the first place.

It's not based on whether a player is male or female specifically. GM/IM/FM/CM are open titles; any player - male, female, young, old, black, white, blind, deaf, etc - can attain them.

As above (my post which presumably crossed with yours), I think WGM/WIM/WFM/WCM titles were introduced to encourage more female players to play.

Though a cynic might note that there's a cost to register a title, so the more players with titles, the more money the governing body makes. Hence their introduction of the even lower Arena Grandmaster (AGM)/AIM/AFM/ACM for players on their online platform. An ACM isn't much stronger than beginner level.

Seems strange to be and tinges of sexism, but I'm not a real chess player.

Yeah, crossposted! That's what I was looking to understand. Thanks for the explanation.

Two more questions to pick your brain if I may. Do you know whether FIDE defines Male/FEmale on the basis of sex (biological characteristics) or gender (self-identity)?

And are the titles in question that the newspaper articles are referring to "current"? Are FIDE actually striping anyone of a past title? Are the trans competitors still allowed to say that they held a WGM/WIM/WFM/WCM, but no longer do so, that their past titles are not invalidated retrospectively, but are simply no longer current? That seems to be where possible confusion is occurring in interpretation (From my reading of posts on this thread). (Sorry that was supposed to be one question, but ended up as multiple!)

So I don't know the detail because it's the first I've heard of it here. I imagine male/female is defined on the basis of basic cop on. Alas, quite a few people seem to have lost that fine art these days, but there you go.

A title never lapses. If you reach GM at age 20, you will never lose that title even if your rating goes way south (as it will with age). In terms of stripping people of titles - that was Overheal's comment and indicates a clear lack of understanding of the subject (not a surprise, having glanced at his contribution to the thread on occasion). The WGM/WIM/WFM/WCM titles are for women only. If you are now saying that you're not a woman any more, you can't be a WGM/WIM/WFM/WCM. You can't have your cake and eat it there.

What they seem to be proposing is that in this case, the title would get converted into the roughly equivalent Open title - so WGM becomes FM, WIM becomes CM, and then there is no Open equivalent to WFM/WCM. It's possible of course for a player to be both, let's say, a WGM and an IM - you would decide between the two which you wanted on your profile, but if you decided you weren't a woman any more, so could keep your IM title of course, which is a higher title than the FM the WGM would be converted into.

• Advertisement

Encouraging female players is sexist now?

Strange one.

It's not for everyone - Polgar was quoted as an example of someone who never played women's tournaments, didn't have a WGM title, and was top ten in the world at her peak. And fair dues to her. Other people quite like it (we know this because they have the WGM/WIM/WFC/WCM titles on their FIDE profile - you don't have to take a title if you don't want to) So what harm?

Advertisement