Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

I referenced Manchester, Standsted and Gatwick to compare the number of nighttime flights and show that night flights are not just unique to Dublin. Dublin is in the middle of Gatwick and MAN (passenger numbers, movements) so the night time operations should be similar. So it can be very much included in this discussion.

We are in the middle of summer season with schools off and most people take leave from work during this time. There’s over 3.4 million passengers using Dublin monthly currently and the above reasons are a big contributer to this figure. Aerlingus in particular have a limited number of aircraft and to facilitate all the destinations people want to go to, late night flights have a part to play.

Many of these late night flights are seasonal and wouldn’t operate at all if they could not fit into these slots.

Malaga and Faro due in around 2am tonight have 4+ flights daily and yet both of these night flights are nearly always full. The demand is there in summer.

Come October and there will be very few arrivals post midnight to 5am once the winter schedule comes in.

I would argue the post midnight flights to 2am play a very important part in summer operations however I would agree that they aren’t necessary in winter schedules.

Regarding TUIs 3:30am arrival. TUI usually do two rotations per day per aircraft from Dublin. They flew to Palma this morning and then Rhodes. The fact that Rhodes is a 4+ hour flight each way is the reason this flight gets in so late. That can’t really be avoided and doesn’t happen that often besides the Tenerife flight. Other option is to leave an aircraft idle from 3/4pm on a Friday and Saturday and two routes less.

Post edited by dublin12367 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

GB airports have a long tradition of large numbers of very early departures to and very late arrivals from sun destinations. We don't have quite the same tradition.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some, but I do think that the airlines are milking it somewhat. The demand for the flights does exist, but not necessarily for those arrival times. Many people will be doing it because they've no other options.

Again, anyone from outside Dublin relying on public transport will have to sit around at the airport for 5-6 hours for their bus home, while most living in Dublin will have to use an expensive taxi. It's not exactly ideal.

Regarding the TUI aircraft - it didn't start its day today until 08:30.

Start it at 06:00 and it would have been arriving back from Rhodes at 00:50.

I have no qualms whatsoever in saying that a sun holiday flight scheduled to arrive back in Dublin at 03:20 is suiting no one but the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Well TUI can't get two slots around 06:00 at DUB and equally Palma is as bad as DUB for slots during the summer on a Saturday. You will be well aware historic slots take precedent.

I don't see any issues with there late arrivals between 00:00-03:00 as it only lasts for around 3 months. Traffic is heavily Irish and most will not take public transport because there isn't any all day never mind at night.

Daa in the papers again today over queues for night time taxis. They aren’t having a good month.

Is it not a bit mad also that the car park they recently purchased could take up to a year for ccpc to review?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“Again, anyone from outside Dublin relying on public transport will have to sit around at the airport for 5-6 hours for their bus home, while most living in Dublin will have to use an expensive taxi. It's not exactly ideal.”

• The 41 operates 24/7 and can connect you into a growing selection of 24/7 city bus routes, for instance the N4, 15, 39a and the C and G corridor routes with more to come under BusConnects.
    • Dublin Express to the city has only a 2.5 hour gap
    • There are intercity coaches to Belfast and Galway operating in the middle of the night around 3 or 3:30. DX and Eireagle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

I don't recommend getting the 41 from the airport around 1 am. It's extremely busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The G spine connecting with the 41 is my normal route to the airport now regardless of what time my flight is. €2 on the bus vs €40+ in a taxi is great!

And yes, the 41 is very busy in the wee small hours with both airport/airline staff as well as passengers. It shows how people will use public transport when provided. Imagine how busy a metro would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Land in from Malaga at 1:55am. Get your baggage by 2:30am if you're lucky, maybe 3:00am if you're not – and don't forget it's an hour later body clock time thanks to the time zone change.

Get home by 3:30am if you're in Dublin, maybe 5:00am if you're not.

At the end of all that you're so destroyed that you need another holiday to recover.

That's it! Arrivals in the small hours are actually a conspiracy by the airlines to sell more flights!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

That is why Aer Lingus offer 3 alternative flights...

Secondly, the same conspiracy can be applied to a flight deparing from 6AM, you know arrivng 2 hours, maybe traveling another 2 hours and then another hour getting ready.

Isn't everyone different, personally I would prefer a late arrival back and where possible avoid an early departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Airspace is designed by NATS then goes out to local consultation.... it was recently completed for SID's and STAR's at Gatwick and Stansted.

Local council is allowed feedback, it is all weighed up in front of a judge (so people who are against it get their day in court without going through a lengthy and costly continuous legal battle, unless they really want to), and the decision is basically final, takes about 8-18 months to complete.

Re: Cranford agreement at Heathrow

it hasn't existed since 2010, but is still referred to as a quasi semi in place agreement when discussing Heathrow changes and new runways...

Re: 09L Ops at Heathrow

It is not a noise abatement reason it's not used, there is additional piers at Terminal 5 which reduce taxiways and holding points to access 09L, which are not in place for 09R.... if you try to use 09L during regular or peak traffic levels, you turn Heathrow into a car park. That's the reason why 09L isn't used much. It hasn't been rectified as it's always been wrapped up in the plan for the 3rd runway.

It would be interesting to see reports over the years for when runway 34 was/is in use at Dublin for arrivals or 16 for Departures, and how many complained then.... this was/is the most populated route in and out of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is amazing, just a few years ago, people on this forum would tell you that there is no demand for 24/7 bus services and that no one would use them. Look where we are now!

I wonder would those same people be telling you that there is no demand for late night flights!

Came across the below today. What’s everyone’s thoughts on it?

https://www.north-runway.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Dublin-Airport-Departure-changes-V6.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

An interesting link. Why is responsible for north-runway.com? I'm only a lay person, but they seem well-informed, even though there are some slightly confusing matters of detail. MIles better then the typical crap media reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Sounds reasonable and logical to me. I live in the affected area but we knew what we were letting ourselves in for when buying the house. We knew naturally there was going to be noise, but we dont mind it too much.

In relation to this, and I can't seem to find any reason why, could somebody tell me whats the story with 10L departures or 28R arrivals.

Why in an easterly, do aircraft not take off from 10L, or in a westerly arrive on 28R?

Is there some 'super decision maker' that lives in Malahide or Portmarnock influencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The planning permission conditions attached by An Bord Pleanala dictate that.

Can someone document where else in Europe do planning permissions 9generally associated with things on the ground) dictate operational details such as SIDs and STARs?

Are our Planners given powers whihc are too wide? Of course these things need to be regulated, but by a body which has the apprpopriate expertise to start with, as opposed to FCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Self-described as "a small group of aviation people, most of whom live between 4km and 10km north of the new runway at Dublin Airport."

"Our group includes private pilots, civil engineers and commercial pilots. The commercial pilots work flying jets in and out of Dublin Airport."

No doubt they know what they are talking about, up to a point. However I would be cautious about concluding that pilots are the experts on all matters aviation. In this case the group are hardly an impartial source either.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The planning permission dictates which runway configurations are permissible, not what SID’s and STAR’s are to be used. This isn’t unusual.

FRA for example has some strict planning conditions (or German equivalent) in place on two of its runways! Runway 18 is takeoff only, and the opposite end 36 isnt in use, so much so that it doesn’t even have piano keys painted at the end. And the newest runway 07L/25R is limited on landings per hour and how and often heavies can land on it. It’s also prohibited for take offs from both ends.

Im sure there are either examples throughout Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

I fully agree with the poster who stated “just because they are pilots doesn’t mean they are experts here”.

Their proposal has a lot of holes in it, a lot. But essentially yet again it comes down to “just move the noise over there away from us” with the suggestion that 30000 people are currently affected by it 😆 and less will be affected by their suggestion.

Well, let's hope that some competent authority rebuts anything whihc deserves it. At least this group are trying to make some serious points, unlike the local Co Councillors, who spout terrible rubbish.

• Advertisement

Is the building work beside hanger 6 the new gates being built?

Yes, well the stands, not necessarily “the gates”.

Thanks, is this different to the north dock project?

It will provide additional remote stands as per the ones already constructed to the north of Pier D. That's all.

Would have thought a push for contact stands/gates is needed before more remote stands. Are these remote ones when completed going to be used by emerald mostly? How many are being built?

Still no sign of them lodging application to extend terminal capacity beyond 32m either.

Everything is being done in stages. First stage is to just build the aircraft stands as they are in short supply. After that the plan is a somewhat temporary North gate boarding area. This will be while they build new hangars, then knock all hangars down to the Dublin Aerospace one and then build a pier east off pier D. I think this gets them to 40million passengers. To move beyond that is T3 on the west side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Trampas

Any reason why the north runway not getting used today? Trying to please fingal cc and see how many complaints come in for imaginary planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Runway 28R not in use this morning, seems to be Runway 28L for both departures and arrivals. One would wonder why.

• Advertisement

The same questions get asked on this thread every few pages.

One would wonder why.🙄

Advertisement