Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dairy boom.Can we officially say its over

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just to clarify. The boom I was referring to was the expansion in the dairy industry in the last 8 years where supply has increased by 70 %.the high price s are part of a cycle which occurs about every 15 years or so which inevitably is followed by a s##tshow.for anyone who is familiar with the movie"perfect storm" in which there's a scene in it where they think they have made it through the the storm as the sun breaks through and the wind die s down but then they realise that they going back into the storm again.it was lovely while it lasted but normal service is resuming this year in milking and maybe worse to come

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

The “boom years” in dairying in this country were during the quota years, that’s when real money was made milking cows. Of course we were told that quotas were holding back farmers, they weren’t able to drive on like they did in the last few years producing too much milk that there’s no worthwhile market for. Without quotas dairying in Ireland is just a race to the bottom, too much greed never ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I hope you don't get the backlash I received when I posted something similar approx 9 years. Maybe some people have taken their heads outa their rear ends since.

Yes huge money has been make since quota was abolished, most of it didn’t stay with the farmer though, last year been the exception.

Only if you were born with the silver quota spoon in you mouth.if you hadn't quota you gave all yer days fecking around with drystock,paying for quota either leasing or purchase,drying cows early,moving milk in the dead of night and spending at least 6 months of the year wondering will there be superlevy this year. I started out with 8300 gls of quota so you ve hit a sore subject for me ,at least now you can fight the battle some fair way not according to where you were born

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

some crack wasn't it. begging for quota, spending the whole winter wondering were you going to get caught with the superlevy and then the feckers turned around and lashed the superlevy on everyone when the quotas went. that was fair lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

Had a few plasters here recently. Holy **** they earn some money. I’d say they are on the same as a hearth surgeon . I got 3 quotes and not allot in difference. In fairness the crowd I got were excellent. Turned up when they said they would and did a very good quality job so as my dad says a good job is never a dear job it’s only dear the day you pay for it.

no young lads doing the trades anymore. You’d wonder where they are going to get them for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Problem with the trades is that it's a complete boom and bust cycle for most. What young lad/y wants to sign up to heavy, physical work with years of near zero income? Sure s/he might as well go farming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's the wet trades that are in trouble. No young blood in it anymore. Heaps of young guys doing plumbing and wiring

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

A few photos of the Hol-BF heifer calves. Hopefully their milk will return a decent margin in 2025, whether it’s me or someone else milking them.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Heard an older Electrican saying he thinks all the young lads doing the trade now will be jockeying for jobs as they qualify, therefore keeping the wage very competitive for the lad hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fulldnod

So I have to explain the difference between the 2, that's says alot about ure level of intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not so sure. Certification not is big business. Many different sectors require electricians. At present technically all rental houses need an electric certificate every five year and every boiler needs certifications every 12 months. That will be enforced by insurance companies down the line.

Electricians and plumbers will remain in demand

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Possibly more likely in rural settings but still wishful thinking none the less imo . Every outfit is crying out for qualified lads, Especially in urban centres. Pharma and Manufacturing in the likes of Cork/Dublin could swallow up every lad looking for a job. Any spark looking for a job is a poor operator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Paid an excellent plasterer €120 a day cash in 2015/2016 to do my house. Probably 3 times that now.

Met him recently and he is after aging unreal. It’s a tough game.

Mate of mine is a 36 year old plasterer. Looks 45 and has a f@@ked back and knees from it. Lot easier pull a few wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Your spelling says a lot about your intelligence.

You obviously don't understand the point, either.

If a substitute replaces the original, the demand for the original has gone down. It does not matter if the substitute is not the same product as the original.

It's called evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The legislation already exists it enforced for HAP housing. However I gave heard of cases where insurance companies mentioned it in holidays home group insurance schemes.

All I saying it only a matter if time before all rental's houses have to have the already legislated requirements in place for insurance purposes.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Tradesmen ( or is it tradesperson nowadays?) have a mercenary attitude, they make out like bandits in these times (which involves zero loyalty to any customer), during a recessionary period, they either bugger off to another country ( Australia or Canada or London) or stay here and draw the dole while doing the odd cash nixer, they never do firesale charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Jack98

It’s a funny one as the price of the original rises the demand for the substitute goes up in theory not sure if that can be said for the oat/almond ‘drink’ alternatives…they have a tiny matket share and little nutritional values they are a substitute in name only, labeled as ‘milks’

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Since we're going there...

Your poor grammar might say something about your intelligence. But your condescending sarcasm implies anything you say can be safely ignored.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Let it go lads,Lassies or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 19,827 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How will the lads who outbid everyone else pushing up prices and entering into long term leases for land at silly prices going to get on next year ...........................

Tax relief won't be allowed unless a substitute is found either (probably doesn't have to be for the same money though)

During the last recession they did firesale prices. I had a top class carpenter working for €100 per day. That is firesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Our local big dairy man is still looking for land anyway. Haven't heard what he's offering now nor do I know if he's loosing some he has rented. He's been calling into landowners around seeing what the story is anyway. We'll be getting the call soon too I guess

He want to start doing his sums as to what pays or will not pay. Passed a farm lately and it has 50++ unroofed cubicles. Is there not a requirement that all dairy cows must be houses this year or next ???

There is outfit out there that will be dependent on the dairy cow reduction scheme to reduce numbers

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

You wouldn’t get one for 300 per day cash right now

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

Does anyone know the breakdown cost of 1 litre of milk split between the farmer, processor and the supermarket? It's very easy to find the production costs at farm level as well as average incomes but processors and supermarkets share of the pie isn't as transparent. How much does it cost a processor to get that 1 litre of milk on the supermarket shelf?

• Advertisement

Blocklayer/stonemason starting a small job here next week. 8.00-5.00, €200 a day through the books.

Advertisement