Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I dunno - out of sight, out of mind and who will miss him?

As regards political connections, how useful is he anymore in that regard. Not much.

I'm pleased for Ryan - it's just what he needs. A break from RTE and let him go and spread his gifts elsewhere. A relief to him and us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tubridy had an open goal but he blew it, he couldn't resist giving his own spin on yesterday's audit finding. The gloating statement was out in record time. He was home and hosed without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Kelly's and Tubridy's character will really come out now. I'd bet on no return of the 150,000 and a dirty court case - played out in the media with leak after leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Please spare a thought for Noel Kelly tonight....

His cash cow has been brought to the knacker yard for rendering down!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

No one is more aware of this than Ryan. It’s why he was so keen to get back on the air.

He’s acutely aware that his milquetoast, beige, humblebrag patter is instantly replaceable and it’s all about listener habits. His audience will get used to a new host or listen to another station within 2 or 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So I assume he is out of contract and has been since leaving the LLS so why have they still been paying him - a lot more details are needed about this than just "not coming back at this time"

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He needs to come out and make a proper statement...as you said this seems to be a decision but it could be just words to get the tv licenses back and then let old Tubs back in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's rather pathetic of Tubridy, the man who's claimed for so long he's wanted by other broadcasters.

He's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

National Union of Journalists are meeting on Tuesday. They've made a statement too.

"Members were shocked by the finding in yesterday's Grant Thornton report, that the understatement of Ryan Tubridy's earnings was done in order to give a false impression that the presenter was earning less than €500,000 annually when in fact his real earnings were considerably more than that. That some at RTÉ set out to deliberately deceive the public, government and staff at RTÉ in this way is reprehensible, and further undermines our trust in our employer. We want to know who decided to publish these incorrect figures. We want an end to the culture that sees lavish and excessive payments for a small minority while others often working alongside those people struggle with low pay, insecure contracts, substandard working conditions and a lack of promotional opportunities."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

• I take back my comments about KB having no backbone.
    • NKM suffering collateral damage over this grubby affair, too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

So his stupid statement was the final straw for Kevin Bakhurst, he as good as says as much.

A statement where Tubridy claimed to not have been overpaid in 2020 and 2021, by virtue of the fact that the €150k only landed in his account in 2022? For work he hadn’t done in the first place?

The man is a joke.

As another poster said, even for people that liked him, they’ll have moved on in a few weeks of a new routine. Everyone is replaceable, and Tubridy is so mediocre it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ForestFire

New statement seems a bit more final I'd say...

But it seems he was at the door waiting to come back in, until he started gloating and cocky about it?

Still doesn't give confidence in sorting the rest of the issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

All hail the Grinch!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think Tubridy has messed this up himself. According to Backhurst, his pay and time (the essentials) were agreed, but Ryan had to go and publish that statement and you could smell it that RTE were unhappy. Wasn't expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I was wrong 🥴 absolutely convinced he'd be brought back. Glad to be proven wrong. Maybe bakhurst has b@lls after all.

Don't like the 'at this time' though. Like others have said, leaves the door open for something. Yuk.

Really glad I never watch or listen to rte in any form any longer.

Definitely not worth it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That statement from Bakhurst implies that he was on his way back though, doesn't it? Until Tubridy made his statement on the report.

He must be seriously badly advised. Or is it just simply pure arrogance on his part?

It's like his statement when the news first broke about the shenanigans that had gone on with his payments. He had to try to row back then from it.

Isn't greed a truly terrible thing really. He had such a handy number at such a crazily overinflated salary and it apparently wasn't enough for him.

I'm inclined to think we haven't heard the last of him on the RTE airwaves yet.

I hope I am 100% wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

People talking about redundancy, put it out or your head.

You can't make a contractor redundant. A contract is terminated by one side or the other and the rightfulness of that may be determined in court.

Otherwise contracts expire and the simplest thing to do is not renew them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

completely OT, but why does d'Paper need four journalists to recycle a RTE press release

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm looking forward to Virgin Media take on the story in Don't Look Back in Anger in December.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

RT's handling of this situation was out of step from the off.

At every turn when he went public he just alienated himself further. It looks like it was his latest release after the GT report that sunk it for him.

Hiring a good PR team (and doing what they say) could've swung it differently for him. But no- he couldn't help himself.

His cosited life in Montrose, from boy to man, fooled some into believing in him but not as many as he thought.

His own hubris rinsed his career.

And a good + was seeing Bettersuki being vindicated. As a regular reader of the Radio Forum I'd see him taking a lot (and gave it out too tbf) flack from other regular posters who always popped up to defend anything RTE related.

Same posters have a good dollop of Nothing Burger on their face tonight.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I bet NK and Ryan debated over including the line at the end of the statement over the top 10 earners. Who insisted on including it?

I wouldn’t be shocked if Ryan splits from NK in coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Am I giving them too much credit in thinking these failed negotiations and GT report were all a crock of shıt and were purely a charade in order for him to save some face and he was never going to go back? An opportunity for him to release a statement absolving himself of any wrongdoing and a little spat which was one step better than being labelled as “outright sacked” which is effectively what has happened.

“nothingburger, back in September” lols 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Mckinley Some Circle

Radio Carlow is hiring Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Not defending them (they’ve gone downhill in recent years) but I think this is an amalgamation of a number of different articles over the last day or three?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm looking forward to the sequel starring Breeda O'Keefe......I bet she has dome storylines.....it's looking more and more that she got out before been found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't like the 'at this time' though. Like others have said, leaves the door open for something.

Yeah but if 'something' is Up With The Partridge on RTE Gold I think most of us can live with/without that...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement