Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's ok, Dublin is a really safe city where nothing like this happens every day, even McEntee was down there the other week and not a thing happened to her

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Apparently Minister McEntee is aware but is still completely distraught after listening to Leo's podcast interview about trans-related homophobia. Our very own Taoiseach is indeed also amongst "the most vulnerable in society" - gasp!!! Helen has assured us that she will be taking swift action regarding this latest assault - just as soon as she has hunted down all the meany-weanies on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The locals take issue with anyone they perceive as being "above their station".

Not down with the "common folk".

The mentality that makes Dublin trash-culture central.

Helen is gone into overdrive on twitter, praising the "good work" of beat police for arresting marijuana users.

I seriously don't understand what the problem is.

I actually believe you - you don’t seriously understand what the problem is if you’re of the opinion that arresting marijuana users isn’t good news, while at the same time you’re claiming there’s a trash culture in Dublin that takes issue with anyone they perceive as being above their station.

I’m not saying you’re right or wrong, I’m just saying I can see why you don’t understand what the problem is, or rather how those two things might be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyducklings1

Well there is certainly bad publicity this year. Ireland is not cheap at all but on holiday people do tend to spend and are probably prepared to do so but if you throw in an unsafe environment on top of costs it can’t be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I suggest on such rare days avoid wearing your socks pulled halfway up your legs over your trackies and I recommend any color other than grey as gray tends to make stains most visible. If you are wearing a hoodie don't wear in up on this warm day or wear several layers of top clothing. If your're drinking cans store then in a picnic basket rahter than having full one's sticking out your pockets. Dispose of empty cans in the picnic basket rather than flinging them at pideons or passers by. I think you'll have no problem if you follow my guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Dont worry the usual suspects will be on to point out that this happens everywhere and Dublin is not dangerous and that they have walked around for years without anything happening to them.

This kind of assault happens multiple times a day in Dublin. Its just nodody bothers reporting them to the gardai anymore or reporting them to the media arent interested in it unless someone is a tourist or very badly injured. The only reason the the media are reporting more nowadays is that there are plenty of clicks in it from the US. Once the clicks are not there the media will forget about it again and we can go back to pretending its not a problem.

But be under no illusions. Even when the media reporting has stopped, these assaults will still be going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

We should have the fleadh ceol on O'Connell Street every day. I was in Mullingar last week and the amount of guards there was a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They will go anywhere to hide from Dublin.

I remember about 6 months before covid someone reported an ongoing burglary across the road from my friends house in Cherrywood with the burglers still in the house and not knowing they had been seen. While the neighbors watched on and waited for the gardai to arrive the burglers spent another half hour there and eventually walked out the front door down the road with 2 suitcases. Gardai never turned up til the next day in case they might have to deal with someone they caught if they had come out when told the burglers were in the house and they could actually catch them.

A few weeks later a car rolled down the hill about 20ft into the wall of a house in the same estate. Owner called the gardai because of insurance or whatever, but noone hurt and only a little damage done to the car and the wall. 3 cars and about 8 gardai turned up within 20 minutes and stood around for an hour. Having a break on the soft job is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yep another serious stabbing on Talbot street...nothing to see here, I blame the "nervous Nelly's"...lol

But hey Dublin isn't Bogota....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i'd put money on it it was an altercation between the many addicts/homeless people that are in the area, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tourists just have to dress up as a water meter or a cash machine to get protection from the Gardai...

You're probably right, but what I find utterly remarkable is how Talbot Street has been allowed to become a festering cesspit for scumbags of all varieties.

Everyone knows the street is a dangerous kip at night, yet Gardai do not patrol the area with added ferocity.

It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm pretty sure it was always like that, for as long as I can remember anyway. I'm not sure the concept of stationing police in one place for periods of time is a policy of the Garda, like how they do in other countries. Pretty basic stuff.

Nobody is saying that police should stand stationary like potted plants in the street.

What we're saying is that toxic streets, like Talbot and elsewhere, need more regular patrols.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Added ferocity ? lol cant have that might upset the little scrotes hanging around out side a McDonalds, (yes they are scrotes or they wouldn't be hanging around there all day the little dears )

the gov have created a situation where the rights of criminals are more important that those of victims and the ability of the police is strangled by "stakeholder's" who know nothing about policing and are committed to driving those that do out of the organization

ye are well on the way to a police force of social care students who are incapable of tackling bad parking never mind the feral population of work shy drug addicted scumbags that the media and government have created while pandering shamelessly for votes.

Most police worth a shite are leaving in droves to better jobs in better places . enjoy the shite storm ye created a$$holes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, everyone saying it's normal and no worse than other cities are not getting attacked. Also, it's a tiny city and population. If we can't control this, then what hope do we have as the population skyrockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Yeah the city centre area all this is happening in is basically the same size as a regional town. A staggeringly tiny area to cover. **** embarrassing and pure incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Will all come to a head next weekend.

Upwards of 20,000 Americans will be in town at once for the American football game. Can't see how it is in any way controlled with regard to public order, one bad attack will be hugely magnified to the US tourist market and even the big US multinational employers here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

A lot of the "sure it's grand" crowd in this thread are just townies who have their backs up because people are disparaging their sh*thole areas, it's the same brainless tribalism that stops them from attacking their own (for the most part) "leave him that's X's uncle/brother/cousin" etc.

Large public order deployment next week end , Units called in from other regions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

Its a sporting event so the gardai will be falling over themselves and when its all over a magic disappearing act will take place once again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't think you understand how the system works...Gardai from other districts will be at these sporting events on their days off because the overtime to work at is is being offered.

If there is no overtime being offered to Gardai to work the city centre, they can't decide to work in it off their own bat. Gardai from Blanchardstown can't decide to go in and do a beat of the boardwalk.

If the government aren't paying for Gardai to work on their time off, they're not going to do it. Nobody is expected to work for free.

Stop blaming the Gardai for the inadequate resources assigned to them, which they have been warning the public about for years. It's the lazy option and one the government like people to fall back on. 'I see they're blaming the Gardai, they won't be blaming us so.'

Excluding the big inner city stations, there will be more people working in the local coffee shop than in the local Garda station. Numbers are that tight now that some stations don't have a patrol car out on a shift so calls will hold until the next shift starts in 12 hours or some might be dealt with by a neighbouring station depending on the severity. But sure...blame the Gardai.

If people would open their eyes they'd see people waiting hours on NAS ambulances, retained firefighters going on strike, Dublin Fire Brigade and the Gardai struggling to recruit people. The government have taken the piss out of the emergency services for years now across the board and it's reached a point where they can't continue to function any longer.

Then instead of people questioning the government on these issues, the public turns on the services themselves. Like this thread on the Gardai or one a few weeks ago blaming the NAS for taking hours to get to a call.

Post edited by Witcher on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

the gov have created a situation where the rights of criminals are more important that those of victims and the ability of the police is strangled by "stakeholder's" who know nothing about policing and are committed to driving those that do out of the organization

I'm unsure the specifics of the latter half of this, however - the first part is unquestionably true.

It's like a tragic comedy.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Yeah I'm getting a bit sick of this shite. Very visible at Croker, or the Aviva for Rugby/Soccer or for gigs. No where near the same volumes on a day to day although when the BOI ATM messing went down they came out fairly lively from behind the desks.

This hasn't gone unnoticed amongst the general population. Wtf is going on!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I suppose it's hard to keep up with all comments in an active thread so I'll say it again:

Garda overtime for sporting events, parades, etc: easy money, 99.9% chance no followup work or even hard work to begin with, traffic/person control, tell a few people to cop on, chat with the locals/tourists, grand job, easy money.

Garda overtime for actual policing, ie: beat/car patrol, guaranteed follow up work with no additional time given to complete on top of everyday duties, near-guaranteed having to deal with scumbags/wanchors, hard work with no thanks, no thank you, pass.

It's not hard to think about really. It's easy money vs hard money, and everyone would take the easy option if there was one. Re: the ATM's, I guarantee the Gardai sent there did not want to be there, but it's a heirarchy, your sergeant/inspector sends you on a job, you go on it. Stupid decisions by local Garda management imo. And can guarantee those members were taken away from doing something else. A Sergeant/Inspector/Super/Chief with the wrong idea of policing made that call.

As for why some calls take so long to attend, a simple example I can give is one day I had the day all laid out, witnesses set to give statements, support from other units for a particular arrest I needed to make, interview material ready to go. Twenty minutes into the shift, before I even managed to get to my first statement, someone was stabbed in a house. I was diverted to do the scene. Queue me sitting in the Garda car outside the premises for 10 hours. The scene lasted 3 days in total, and by right there should be a Garda on every entrance/exit but they secured the back so only 1 was needed. That's over 6 full shifts for 1 scene.

But it's fun to decide that they're drinking tea and eating chips, avoiding work. As if it's even possible if you're not of a certain tenure.

• Advertisement

Do the general population know that those lads and lass's you see paddys day or all Ireland Sunday are from as far away as Waterford Wexford and Tipp and have already likely done their 48 hour week before heading to dublin for overtime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement