Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Farrell has shown over and over again that he will pick the players that are best fitted to the leinster/Ireland gameplan.

Which makes sense!

If Farrell had Dupont available to him to select in the morning, he would probably not play him, because our team is built around a team that attacks off 10, not off 9

Don't think I'd agree with this though. He is a practical guy, if you have that kind of generational talent you adapt your gameplan to utilise them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Or just play Dupont at 10

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"Farrell wouldn't pick Dupont" is one of the more 'out there' takes this forum has ever had.

Farrell had done a hell of an amount of work to turn Ireland into a team that doesn't always attack from 10. Every piece of analysis on us over the last two years shows we are more and more less reliant on 10, and we play off 9, 10, 15 and our wings. Heck even our props are playmakers these days

Not get cut from the squad the week of the England game, for starters?

As a long-time lurker of the forum, I really hope Former Former Former is enjoying the last 24 hours or so. Any joy the Munster mafia had at seeing him lose his bet about Kleyn has long been displaced by the salty tears about Coombes being bullied by big mean Andy Farrell.

Do TRK, OTH Prop and all the other outrage Munster pundits post here much? I bet they do. I see the Munster thread is dead quiet the last few days though.

Roll on the World Cup, I say!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Welcome to the forum. In future, try to post more constructively, rather than posts like this which has more than a hint of provincial baiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭almostover

I'm a bit perplexed at the selection of Prendergast at 8 given that he only plays there the odd time for Connacht as injury cover. Honestly starting to believe Farrell has some sort of issues with the way Coombes plays his rugby, he's has consistently overlooked him for selection despite great club form. Coombes has been a fixture at 8 for Munster since Stander left, in fact we haven't missed Stander one bit. Which is saying a lot. I think Prendergast won't make the 33 either but it looks like he's first call up if one of our no.8s gets injured which to me is a weird call. There's definitely a top 4 back rows for Ireland, POM as a 6 only, Doris and Conan as a 6 and 8 and JvdF as a 7. We're stacked at 6 because Beirne and Baird are both good there and have played plenty of rugby there. So why choose Prendergast? It's 7 and 8 cover that we need and neither are his natural / best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Reading this decision points to a 19:14 split. I suppose the flexibility of Prendergast is key factor in Farrell's decision and I actually taught prendergast had been excellent last year. But as an international no. 8, he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wonder if he would get called up in the event of an injury to Doris or Conan. Given that he seems to not play the type of game Farrell desires, or isn't versatile enough position wise, perhaps Deegan would be looked at instead?

Just seems very odd to not even give Coombes a run out from the bench. Wouldn't be shocked either if one of Beirne or Baird beat out POM for the 6 jersey at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭almostover

Flexibility to cover positions that are already covered, 5 guys ahead of him at 6 (POM, Conan, Doris, Baird & Beirne), 3 guys ahead of him at 7 (JvdF, POM & Doris), and 2 ahead of him as an 8 (Doris, Conan....and Coombes is much better as an 8 than him). I can see why you'd bring Joe McC, serious potential as a tight head lock. Another back would be preferable really

I doubt it tbh. Ultimately Coombes was in the squad while Deegan was not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not that we will ever know, but I'm not convinced that Farrell would have been a big fan of Stander either.

Prendergast is a bench cover/emergency squad cover who can feasibly cover across the backrow. He is very much going to be 5th or 6th choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If Farrell had Antoine Dupont available for him to select in the morning, he would probably not play him,

If you've actually convinced yourself of this to help ease the pain of Coombes' omission, that's actually quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

I think that the idea that Antoine Dupont couldn't do what JGP does, if he was asked to, is again, funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We have known for some time that Prendergast was ahead of Coombes in the pecking order. But I reckon Prendergast is being played at 8 this weekend to give him an opportunity to really convince the coaches that he genuinely offers 3-tool backrow cover. This was never to compare him to Coombes, it's probably more with a view to deciding between him and either Baird or McCarthy.

Edit: And the more I think about it, the more I reckon it's Prendergast vs McCarthy....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Faz had Dupont in the squad, he'd likely have a permanent erection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe Faz thinks Prendergast is the better player!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭mun1

Prendergast deserves his chance on Saturday . Looking like a 19-14 split in the WC squad at this stage with Baird, prendergast, McCarthy travelling with the usual suspects.

hopefully a win but absolutely no injuries please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Plot twist. It's Sam Prendergast starting at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I personally think Coombes won’t even be starting for Munster in 2 or 3 years time, Gleeson and Quinn will be coming through at 8 and 6 most likely with Hodnett and Kendellen fighting it out at 7. Coombes is world class 5 meters out but not much after that. Really looking forward to the potential battle between Gleeson and Doris, that could be spectacular.

• Advertisement

Coombes is world class 5 meters out but not much after that.

This is often said as if it’s all he has to his game.

It couldn’t be further from the truth, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Josh is 30. Conan is 31. In reality if Gleeson progress continues they will find space for both.

Won't be a battle and more of a combination.

long term would Doris end up replacing JVDF is something I don't think anyone would of thought of prior to the Italy game

The question I think is more would Stander of been picked at 8 if Heaslip was still available. They seemed to like him as the option at 7.

A back row of Heaslip/Leavy/Stander at the last WC with POM/JVDF/Conan as back up would have been some combinations

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well I greatly look forward to the back-to-back-to-back Heineken Cups that will be won by a Munster side that's so good Gavin Coombes can't get into it!

Yeah he’s probably above average in a lot of aspects, but he’s clearly not top international standard. I don’t even think he’s top level champions cup level. He’s a good player and would start for the majority of teams in URC ( Connacht included in that) and probably from the top 5 down in international rugby.

For what it’s worth I’m not sure if prendergast has that level I’m him either but he's definitely closer

Strong disagree, tbh. He's put in excellent performances in Europe for maybe 3 seasons now. This season in particular, he was exceptional, especially in the group stages vs Northampton and Toulouse. His stats were off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Jensen may surprise in the good way at 8. SHL there too. And McCormack. Connacht future at back-row doesn't need anybody. Neither for centre (Forde, Devine), wing (Jennings, Gavin), TH (Illo, Barrett) or lock (D.Murray, B.Walsh). LH prop and n°10 after 2024 has to be prepared though

Stats don’t tell a full picture, stockdales stats against Italy were pretty impressive if I remember correctly

Stats are fired out all the time, if you pulled out POM stats and said they are shite. The same poster will tell you stats are irrelvant :-)

• Advertisement

Stockdale's metres gained stat was impressive, but I'm not certain the rest were. It was very much a mixed bag.

Whereas Coombes was putting in performances that delivered impressive stats across the board. I've posted this before, but this was his average from the group stages this year:

14.8 carries per game

51.3 metres

17 tackles

1.3 turnovers

And a try a game

They're huge numbers by anyone's standard. And plenty of his performance passed the eye-test as well as delivering impressive stats.

Advertisement