Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What are you doing on here so? You should be sitting in your Golf at a Maxol garage showing it off to the boys pretending you bought it outright.

Simple saying, the people who suffer most from range anxiety are the ones who don't have an EV.

The nicest thing about mine is that it practically drives itself, it's impossible to get a speeding ticket, around town driving is an absolute doddle and it's so quiet and relaxing, I wouldn't go back to an engine car for the lotto especially a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Range is important but not as important a consideration as it was 5 years ago. Most new EVs have a reliable range exceeding 300km which combined with an improving charging network is more than enough for most journeys.

I’m one of those who paid more for a bigger battery. Partly because the option also included other extras I wanted, but also because I had no prior experience driving EVs and didn’t trust the charging network based on what I was told or read (over 2 years ago, so maybe with some justification).

As it turns out, the smaller battery would’ve been fine as Ireland isn’t that big. Where I’ve needed to use the public charging network, it has never been a problem. A smaller battery may have required more or longer stops but nothing I’d be anxious about now.

Post edited by electricus on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The problem with these comparisons is that you're comparing apples and orangutans. Your Golf cost €31k (although it was €32k last post) - great....but you ain't getting any Golf for that price now. Absolute cheapest, lowest spec, crappiest engine is €34k OTR. Spec it up to match the ID and you may find the ID is actually cheaper, and that's before you get to hugely lower running costs. When I got an ID4, it was €13k less than the equivalent Tiguan. Same when I had my first Leaf - folks saying I could have got a Polo for €20k, when the.most appropriate comparison was an auto, well specced Golf costing bones of €10k more than I paid for the Leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭fits

How much are those new well specd golf’s now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 oDerak_man

My average in past month - this is 50% city driving and 50% M50 (100kph).

I agree with previous posters that in Ireland, unless you are a travelling businessman, range anxiety shouldn't be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Golf style 1.5l eTSI with 130hp and a DSG - €40.8k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

That's very good efficiency. What was the average speed?

I also think it has improved noticeably with 3.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You have a Born dont you? I got a speeding ticket this week in mine, first one I have ever got in my life and thats after driving 5 series and A6 for last 10+ years!

Obviously my own fault though, 110kmph in a 100 zone on Naas Rd near Kill

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Average speed on my last trip 55kph.

When I next buy a car I won’t be asking what the range is. I’ll want to know the battery size, efficiency and coefficient of drag. And I don’t want the last two measures to be worse than current car if possible.

In other words, kWh consumed per 100km is the figure you need to look at. My LTA over a whopping 750km😊 is 16.1/100.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Range anxiety in a country this size should not be a problem. My last trip started off with 80% charge, did 215 kms and arrived home with 29%. That is well the daily average drivers trip in ireland. Cost approx 5 euro. Night rate using timed charging.

I charged up to 100% from 1% (I bran the air con to get it down from 2% after a long drive).

Does anyone know why the max capacity is recorded as 75990 but only 68975 at 100% charge?

Range is at 508km

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I dont think you'll get a definitive answer on that but I see similar on my 58kWh ID.3 and my guess/interpretation of it is that "Max energy" is the max the battery can theoretically take but VW have decided to hide some of that from you and so the 68975 figure is what you have actually available to you. It doesn't mean you have 7kWh's of degradation already.

The "missing" 7kWh is hidden and presumably gets "released" to the car over time by the BMS to counteract degradation and ensures you dont see a drop in range.

Thats my guess on it as that's how other cars work too.

Thanks, that makes sense of it. Think I remember Bjorn Nyland getting similar results (around 75kWh capacity) when testing an ID.4 or Enyak but can’t find the video.

Edit:

BMS SOC is 95% so must be under reporting

Post edited by electricus on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The "what range does it get" question is fairly annoying in terms of EVs because of how poor people's driving is. Next time you're out for a walk or just driving in an urban area pay attention to how people drive. Accelerating all the way up to a red light, zero coasting approaching roundabouts, 130kph on the motorway. Obviously it does depend on your driving, if your commute is 99% 120kph you're not getting the same as someone doing 50/60kph most of the time, but it doesn't really apply to the majority of drivers who drive like crap.

I'm getting 15kWh/100km(380km if 58kWh) with a fair mix of 80/100/120 and that includes driving up the mountains at 80kph. AC on, speed limit etc. The people driving aggressively would be sorely disappointed when they get 300km in Summer. Then they'll be on Facebook "ah they're no good give me my diesel".

Then again, they wouldn't get the 750km Summer/700km Winter I got in my 1.0 Golf either so it's not like driving style only effects EVs. A friend of mine changed her driving when she got a hybrid because her aggressive acceleration from traffic lights would kick the engine in immediately. I'm just not sure how many people transition to EV properly, plenty of older Prius on the road absolutely hooring it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Am I the only one that enjoys the perfect coasting to a stop just at the red, or timing it so the brakes are never needed game? I am a good/efficient driver ? I seem to get 16 ish on the average consumption (58kwhr), driving of late has been so much of a mix of speeds.

• Advertisement

Same here, that’s why I much prefer the ID.3 regen in D to B mode or ‘one pedal driving’ type regen in other EVs. It’s funny how most car reviewers can’t figure out how it works in IDs or Cupras.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm a horrendously inefficient driver and I love it.

There's probably folk out there getting better mileage from their 58s than I do from my 77.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭sk8board

It’s a public ID3 forum - it’s literally aimed at both owners like yourself, and people who are eager to learn or find out more; rather than just reading a mix of you lads either licking yourselves or listing your weekly software problems.

all I’m saying is that the ID3 isn’t for me, and for the reasons listed. I’m sure the 98% of readers/non-posters will appreciate both points of view.

thanks for your contribution 🙄

It is slightly disingenuous to compare the highly specd tour with some golf price from two years ago though.

But if you’re a low mileage driver the arguments for ev cost savings are less strong - that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

“It’s a public ID3 forum - it’s literally aimed at both owners like yourself, and people who are eager to learn or find out more; rather than just reading a mix of you lads either licking yourselves or listing your weekly software problems”.

Golden, this genuinely made me laugh, good observation to be fair.

If you ever decide to change you will get good advice and info here 👍🏻

But you aren't here to learn anything, all you've done is disagreed with anything that was said by each poster and then try and glorify a bloody diesel Golf. If you were actually driving something a bit different from all the other bog hoppers I could understand but a felter... Me fcukin' nerves, god give me strength 😆 Go and buy another Golf there's plenty of hoppers waiting for yours...

No software problems to report, in saying that, your favourite car in its latest guise isn't immune from the odd SW glitch but I'm sure you'll be able to get all dem lights lighting like de meriacn cars...

When the opportunity arises I can be a very inefficient driver, but not much chance around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

To be fair to the id3 and move away from talk of software updates and lads licking themselves 😬, the D and B modes are great. The intelligent regen and ability to coast is something I miss in the MY, the i3 is tiresome in comparison with extreme regen all the time, fun, but unfortunately no option to adjust.

The cars ability to allow the correct amount of regen for bends, corners, junctions, roundabouts or approaching traffic is very intuitive.

@ACAandCTA western motors rang me yesterday to cancel next weeks scheduled ‘update’. Backlog of non completed updates 👍🏻

That said, the car is going well, 35,000 on the continentals which are being replaced today. They were a good tyre, faultless actually, I could get more out of them but tyres aren’t something I’d cheap out on. Il keep one as a spare.

Range wise looking at @electricus figures I’m about the same.

Hammer the tour for 450km, drive handy and it’s 500km.

Knock 20% off each for winter. Although I’ve never seen less than 420km in winter on the Gom.

For comparison to other cars the MY rwd is hovering about 365km and the i3 a solid 110 KM (zero range drop over 180,000km’s)…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Dropped car on Tuesday, was ready to collect last night. They gave me a 232 e-up with 600km on the clock as a loaner car, was like driving a toaster or something out of Mario Kart, honestly shocking stuff.

They:

1) Updated the software (incl. part of a mandatory recall/ 'campaign' with an issue with one of the battery cells on my model apparently)

2) Service

3) Four new Continental tires, also part of a recall or as they say 'campaign' which cost me exactly €0 😁 (What a wonderful surprise!)

Software seems slightly snapper/ responsive to touches and delighted with new set of tires, because I'm driving it to France in 3 weeks and great to have a full set of new rubber for free. 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, there was a problem with some of the Continental tyres splitting on the inner sidewall.

Advertisement