Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is more than ''the Talent'' overpaid. Senior journalists/ presenters in RTE.

Darragh Moloney and Aine Lawlor are on 183k, George Lee 179k. AFAIK GL and AL are staff I am unsure about DM

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Tubridy's hubris and arrogance got the better of him. He just can't keep his mouth shut.

Few things to be ironed out here. Tubridy's pay must be stopped tomorrow, and Bakhurst needs to clarify that. He also needs to rule out Tubridy returning on his watch. And he may have to face down a spurious lawsuit from the Tubridy camp.

I hope we've seen the last of Tubridy on RTE and given it was all he had (no nepotism strings to pull elsewhere) it has to be career ending.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Ahwell

This line for an old interview he gave is what has ultimately done him in.

"I've taken a pay cut before, I took over 30pc the last time and they've asked for more, which would bring it up to about 45pc or thereabouts since I took 'The Late Late Show'," he said. And when it comes to this sort of issue that's not something I've been found wanting in, and that continues to be the case."

He was ask about this quote in those committee meetings and came out with this, frankly unbelievable, prepared line that payments from the Renault deal were separate from his RTÉ salary. Thereby. according to him, he wasn't lying in that interview. This prepared line was repeated a number of times over the course of that day by both himself and NK.

Kevin Bakhurst, said that evening that what they were asserting was not logical and that both payments, “should be seen as part of his pay package”.

knowing what Bakhurst had publicly said about that claim, he then doubles down on it again in that statement he released yesterday and there ended his RTE career.

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder will he bother paying back the Renault money? 🤣😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

It's really a case of only one turd down but many more to go in the second flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

An unexpected and rather pleasant turn of events....I had expected this to be brushed under the carpet so it's refreshing having to see Tubbers chow down on a veritable sh1t sandwich (as opposed to a nothing burger).

However, given his strong unflushable turd energy, I suspect he'll squirm back on to our screens/airwaves at some point....but hopefully this will be measured in years rather than months.

As others have alluded to, there's a whole wider situation regarding RTE to be addressed...maybe getting rid of this pleb might be a catalyst for real change

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can't believe it, have been offline all night as I was at a footy match.

Just logged in and over the moon with the news.

Fair play to Bakhurst, he grew a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Just cathing up on the breakibg news that RT wont be returning, could some one please explain what RT said tonight that triggered KB announcing he wont be coming back. I am just in after a very bad day in the office and cant find anything about what RT said, apologies if I missed it, I read a few pages back but cant figure out what it was he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

C'mon now - he needs every penny he's got to survive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Which is what was said here from the start when others said it had nothing to do with RT.

Everyone finally sees the emporer had no clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Quote from tobefrank321:

"Few things to be ironed out here. Tubridy's pay must be stopped immediedately, and Bakhurst needs to clarify that. He also needs to rule out Tubridy returning on his watch. And he may have to face down a spurious lawsuit from the Tubridy camp"

Fully agree with you on this. He hasn't clarified whether Ryan Tubridy is still been paid or not. I'm not convinced that Tubridy has been shown the door permanently however this may be viewed. It's a battle of ego's and one that has been won by Kevin Backhurst. But I wouldn't think this is over just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I wouldn't be so sure. I reckon Radio Norwich would be delighted to give him Alan Partridge's old spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And it's even funnier than the Toyman basically got himself sacked. Had he said nothing, he'd have been back on air in a couple of weeks.

What a day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He just opened his mouth. That was the problem

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

Next on the chopping block in no particular order should be boring ray darcy, lottie ryan, joe duffy, doireann garrihy. Start with those 4 then work the way down the list of others. These bunch are some of the most boring, obnoxious, talent less hacks allowed on the airways. Dave Fanning should also be adding cos he has gone off the deep end, he was good back in the day but he seems a few sandwiches short of a full picnic basket now with his latest round of comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Sure it's only walking around money

But if we didnt pay Joe Duffy and Ray Darcy 350k surely CNN or MSNBC would be tripping over themselves to hire them?

No?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

Might be just as well. Look what happened when a certain former celebrity was allowed make a comment.

• Advertisement

It will more likely be a full page interview in the Sindo telling us he can't afford to retire or take a paycut, lost all his money in the "crash" and the 5 million he made from RTE since then has barely kept food on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Hopefully the prime RTE C U next Tuesday aka Kathryn Thomas has put herself behind the 8 ball by forcing her massive arse into the Rose of Tralee proceedings.

Would be delicious if she also make a rod for her own back.

-----------------------------------------------

Warned for uncivil posting

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

In fairness, did anyone here predict that Tubridy would be gone for the stated reason: i.e. appearing "to question the basis for the necessary restatement of fees paid for services"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Was watching the last 15 minutes of Six O'Clock show yesterday (Wednesday), where Grainne Seoige was co-hosting, on VM1. (Hope someone got her a fisherman's friend, she was very hoarse. Must have caught a virus or something).

And they had on that 'consumers adviser' guy Conor whatever his name is. When he brought up the Grant Thornton review, he mentioned 'this absolves Ryan Tubridy of wrongdoing' and Grainne Seoige chimed in with 'it bears repeating again' or something to that effect, and Conor repeated his statement- 'Ryan's cleared of any wrongdoing'.

Grainne's former agent used to be NK, so this 'support' of Tubridy seemed endemic. And we had Pat speaking up 'in favour of Tubridy'... like they could sway the public's opinion.

His colleagues were CERTAIN that Tubridy was gonna walk back into his job, all forgiven. Because the alternative scared the crap out of them. Now they will be terrified- I imagine more people will cut ties with NK because of this situation. Now Bakhurst has pretty much laid down the law. He seems to know that a boss isn't meant to be your 'friend', he's your boss. Don't matter if you like him, he calls the shots, and signs the paycheques.

I commend the guy, on this occasion. He showed he has a backbone and wasn't gonna take crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Basically it shows him for what he is - thinking he is better than everyone else, throwing his employer under the bus and expecting no comeuppance, only this time his big mouth got called out

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

What do we need RTE for anyway let it burn down -I mean who watches it anymore no need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I'm quoting Bakhurst here. I'm not sure people would have predicted that that would be the stated reason for termination of negotiations.

• Advertisement

They don't do misery slots or questions about Irish connections on US or UK talkshows so its a no go area. Plus he said he'd never move.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement