Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

Fully understand the position outlined here, there is no OT for nornal policing so it doesnt get done. However I suppose what people find it hard to understand is why is there such a limited presence of Gardai during normal policing work during their nornal shift? Is it how Gardai are tied up doing admin work during there normal 48 hour week so actually have no time to perform the more visible policing role?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Maybe if Dublin retained all of its property tax, instead of retaining only 66%, we would have the funds to pay for the Guards.

1 in 3 properties in Dublin pays property tax that is spent outside Dublin. Thats just plain wrong and we need our own money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,741 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People grossly overestimate the amount of Gardai that are working at any one time. There are four uniformed units, only one unit is working at any one time meaning 3/4 of the uniformed force is either on rest days or about to start a shift later that day.

95% of the Gardai you see working at Croke Park etc. at a match are coming from those non working units. It isn't a case of Croke Park or a normal shift working the city centre like people seem think it is. It's Croke Park or being off, they wouldn't be working anyway.

They're not working at Croke Park to avoid the city centre, most of them aren't stationed there so would never be there regardless. The organisation has started offering these Gardai to work in the city on overtime recently but that hasn't always been the case. Gardai have always worked matches, concerts etc. because that was the only overtime available, paid for by the GAA, concert promoters etc.

I think people may be under the illusion the organisation was willing to pay Gardai to work the city centre on their days off, this was never an option until recently and once these incidents stop being news, the overtime will be swiftly removed.

People think because there are Gardai at Croke Park that there are loads, not realising that these are Gardai on their days off and that they're from every station from Balbriggan to Shankill and beyond Dublin. These individual stations however are lucky if they can field one car for a shift.

The major stations, Blanchardstown, Finglas etc. might have two cars out to patrol and answer calls but nearly every other station has one and they don't even have that in some cases.

As I said, there are more people working in your local Insomnia etc. than Gardai in your local station. People seem to think stations are like a Borb cube and more Gardai can just materialise from the hivemind. If there is one car for a station and it's busy, it's busy. Calls, no matter what they are, will be left waiting. The same way as an ambulance is busy until it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Well that's probably a big part of the issue. In my job if calls from clients were left ring out/unattended heads would roll.

If there's no consequence for gards not serving the public then there's no incentive for them to sound the alarm that theyre understaffed etc.

They may be understaffed but they're not over worked if they're allowed to ignore work with zero consequences.

• Advertisement

Well this clearly sets out the nub of the problem and should be the hot topic of discussion on social media, the traditional media and on the door step come election time. Essentially the Gardai are criminally inder staffed/resourced to the point that they cannot provide a basic police service to protect the safety of Irish residents.

The focus at the moment is on the effect rather than the cause of the problem allowing the Govt completely off the hook to the pont that the Minister for Justice cam swan around flanked by a bunch of Gardai (possibly drawn from different parts of the country and on OT) to perpetuate a fraud that the streets are safe and the Gardai have the tools to keep it that way.

Yes and above it...

If there is one car for a station and it's busy, it's busy. 

Gardai can only answer one call at a time, the same as any of the emergency services. If the Gardai are dealing with a call and there are other calls holding, they'll be dealt with in turn.

Again, some stations and units haven't got the numbers to crew a car at all some days meaning calls are building up over the course of the shift so the next unit is starting clearing the backlog plus any calls that come in on their shift and the cycle repeats.

Yeah I understand that but as I've stated the gards are both victims and beneficiaries of the PS clusterfcuk.

In my job if we lose staff or get more work dumped on the team, there is no excuse. There's 2 options, get the work done regardless or get fired.

This doesn't exist in the PS so gards are happy enough with the setup because the work just sits there, they do their alloted hours and clock off. They opt into OT when they want.

The Garda associations have been raising these issue for years in the press but people didn't want to know.

they do their alloted hours and clock off.

The Gardai can only work the hours they're paid for, are you really expecting the Gardai to work outside of their hours for free here?

The Gardai aren't provided with enough manpower to even crew a car in some cases and instead of asking why they don't have this manpower, you blame the Gardai themselves.

• Advertisement

You mean like the private sector?

Yeah it needs to be run like a business but we know its not as it PS. Look we'll never agree here. You see the average gard as a victim.

I work in the private sector were unpaid OT is par for the course.

I don't see the gards as victims. The fact they cam just disregard backlogs amd clock off is far from victim. The people on the backlog are the real victims.

The government don't care enough to equip an emergency service with the manpower to do the job so it's upto Gardai to work for free to fill the gap is your basic argument.

I think other posters here will see that for the nonsense it is, so on that note, we'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

If the Irish police force have more members per capita re population than most other European countries, how can there be only so much as one "unit" available per district.

They're all stuck doing paper work and not outside actively policing their locale?

Obviously there's some underlying issue (sounds like time consuming administrative work?) if a well manned police station can literally only respond to one call at a time.

We can only speculate as to the reason why, but again, in (by european standards) a well manned force, there's basically ZERO meaningful public presence, that's obviously a fault that needs correcting;

And that's the central theme of this thread - why are there not more coppers policing publicly, and all sorts of scum are subsequently using the streets and public realm as their playground for nastiness at the civilized man and woman's expense.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

It's top down and chicken and egg stuff.

The gards don't blue flu for resources, only ever for pay. Self serving as are most of us.

But yes the problem feeds from the top to the bottom of the PS. Where there's no consequences. Heads should role at mgmt level if the public ie the gards customer is being poorly serviced.

The Garda strength stood at 13,995 last April, compared to 14,294 in April 2022 and 14,537 in April 2021.'

“Notwithstanding possible distinctions among different police forces, Ireland’s police officer-to-population ratio is below the average among their EEA and British counterparts and far below that of those nations with the highest ratios,” the report concluded.

Ireland has 291 gardaí for every 100,000 inhabitants, compared to an average of 328 police for every 100,000 people across 35 countries in Europe.

The comparative figures were using 2020 data, but the analysis said that in 2022, the Garda ratio had dropped even further, to 277.

I don't know where you're getting your figures from.

I dont think the general public are properly informed how bad the Garda resourcing problems appear to be. The idea that its routinely not possible for a Garda stn to run a squad car is beyond acceptable in a country where the Govt is boasting of a unprecedented budget surplus and you have the Min for Justice swanning around DCC flanked by a squadron of Gardai proclaiming everything is tip top.

They're definitely not informed well enough regarding the actual effects it has in practical terms. It's easy to gloss over 'Garda numbers declining' as a headline but when people hear there is no patrol car for their entire town it's a bit easier to comprehend.

In fairness the media publish stories about declining Garda numbers, issues with recruitment etc. regularly so the information is getting out there but people don't listen or grasp what it means. Then you've posters like Sugar Rush telling us we've more police than most European countries and it verifiable nonsense so there's an element of 'fingers in the ears, lalalala' going on too.

Perhaps I read it was that well policed countries such as the Netherlands actually have lower officer to civilian ratio than Ireland?

i.e. the suggestion was that it's either an ethos or administrative/bureaucratic issue in the Irish police force, at the center of the situation.

The recent vote of no-confidence in Harris would seem to second that point of view.

Some info regarding numbers which may illustrate the point better. Our ratio has declined since this as per the Irish Times article above, it's now 277.

Oh, so I was right, we do have more officers per capita than the Dutch, and their police force is pretty damn solid.

Definitely no issues with lack of visible officers (or plain clothes officers).

Plus their society, as infinitely more culturally diverse as it is, has only a fraction of that "scum" feel to it that Dublin has (re Amsterdam).

There's dipshits everywhere, but in Amsterdam they're meek as lambs, not brazen like the Dublin class of scumbag - simply cause of the respect law enforcement have ensured they command.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That’s interesting that you say the Dutch police is solid , it’s beset by multiple scandals including racial profiling , racism , corruption, infiltration by criminal gangs , violence and a shortage of officers along with an increase in firearm incident’s.

If you walked about Amsterdam, would you say there's so much as a fraction of the "scum" feel that Dublin has?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In much of Amsterdam yes, you're offered drugs every 30 seconds and there are all kinds of dodgy folk everywhere. Much of the city is lovely though and peaceful, but I'd say the same about Dublin. I would generally go out shopping and restaurants and bars in D2 area and it all seems quite pleasant to me.

Lots of dodgy stuff happens in Amsterdam

recent case in Amsterdam of a tourist stabbed multiple times in a random attack, sounds like good old dublin to me.

1289 muggings in 2019. Would dublin have anywhere near that many I wonder?

Not excusing Dublin, just making the point that Amsterdam isn't some safe paradise compared to Dublin as you seem to be saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Dodgy stuff happens in Amsterdam as it does in all cities but your don't have the class of scumbags and junkies we have here so visible amongst the tourists.

Was in Amsterdam in June you don't see people out of their minds in daytime on drugs vomiting and pissing on the streets or shuffling up looking for change.

Ironic considering what Amsterdam is known for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I used visit friends in Amsterdam a good bit , I’ve friends there one who is an Ethiopian/ Israeli his wife is Dutch .

I always found it’s no different to Dublin , good and bad elements, his wife thought Dublin was much more relaxed and thought Dublin is more less the same as Amsterdam both having lived here for about 2 years.

When I say visited , it wouldn’t be tourist type visits and in all I’ve there about 8 or 9 times .

I've been to Amsterdam twice. Second time about 6/7 years ago. Both times had people out of their minds wandering around the streets. Myself/group being one of them.

Its either changed dramatically or you're viewing it through different lenses than you view DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

No the gardai will be out in force that day to make sure the tourists dont see the real dublin.

What the tourists will see is a party town, totally safe, with police all over the place keeping the safe city safe. If there are any scrotes around they van full of gardai will be straight over to make sure they dont get a chance to cause trouble.

You know kind of like it should actually be even if we werent under the worlds spotlights.

There are so many people vomiting and pissing and out of their nuts on the streets of Amsterdam that the city has an ad campaign telling people to behave themselves.

The other thing is, when people come to Dublin and look at the wronguns in absolute disgust it reinforces their biases that Dublin is a sh*thole. Many of you don't seem to enjoy anything about Dublin. I used to be like this, but having lived abroad for years and years and now settled in Dublin, I don't seem the point in focusing on the bad stuff and I try and enjoy it as much as I can.

When you're in a foreign city and being offered drugs up in your face every 30 seconds, like in Lisbon, most of us just bat it off and focus on the nice things about the city, you can do the same in Dublin too.

In 2019 there were 1.9 million American visitors to Ireland, I would imagine at least 40% of them spent some time in Dublin. I don't recall any being attacked apart from the recent high profile cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

And I bet in your job if there were not enough staff to give a good service to all of the clients then you would have to hire more staff til you had enough to service your client base.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement